Question What Tense (Past or Present) Do Translators Use For Narrations? And How to Choose the RIGHT Tense?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by BlackHoundXyn, Nov 27, 2022.

1. BlackHoundXyn

BlackHoundXyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most common by far is past tense. However, I often see translators translate novels into present tense which can sometimes be quite jarring and annoying. It may be because some translators do edited machine translations, but I sometimes see them mix present tense and past tense.

What does everyone think? What tenses do translators use? And how to choose the right tense?

And as readers, what do you all prefer?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  2. ImJ2

ImJ2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not because most translators do edited MTL, but because it's just feels awkward and unrewarding to translate it into present tense. Personally, I would stick to the tense used by the writer of the novel, as sticking to the original is the most important thing for a translator.

BlackHoundXyn likes this.
  3. BlackHoundXyn

BlackHoundXyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really am sorry. It should be "some".

I see. Thank you for your views about it.

4. xuexxi

xuexxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    narratives are written in past tense (pick up the nearest english book and see), it’s not exactly up to the translator’s choice
    there might be a mix because like u said, mtl, or typos, or the translator is novice, or the line is written as what the character is presently thinking (very common in kr novels)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    BlackHoundXyn and lohwengk like this.
  5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The convention is past tense for narration; present tense for dialogue. It's not the only way to write in English, but it is by far the standard. There are multiple types of past tense so the writer still has a lot of control over the time frame.

Sure, a JP WN could be written in present tense. And I hear Chinese does not have tenses at all. But English is a different language. If the translator deliberately chooses to disobey convention they must have a good reason for doing so.

https://www.louiseharnbyproofreader...g-present-past-past-perfect-and-habitual-past

Different languages have different grammar structures. A big part of a good translation is localizing such things so it reads naturally. In fact, my understanding is that doing so is an editor's main task. The translator provides feedback to make sure the original meaning is not lost, but the editor rewrites it to read naturally.

6. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    I purposely write in both past and present tense just to be based.

But to be more accurate, I prefer to write it in present tense, but some moments like, "I open the door and switched on the light and saw a scene." allow for a more natural flow of events, for me atleast. I have yet to meet anyone who agrees with me tho

7. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Past tense is the most common i think. Both english written and translated ones.

Present tense ones do exists. Rare but not impossible to find. Written in native english.

If unsure just go with past tense. Since it is what most readers are familiar with.

BlackHoundXyn likes this.
  8. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If that sentence is written exactly as you meant it, then it's probably because your sentence is grammatically awkward. Maybe even incorrect.

You start with present tense ("open") before switching to past tense ("switched" and "saw"). You should never switch tenses mid-sentence like that. That kind of inconsistency will give anyone a headache.

elideli and TXHY like this.
  9. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>
    But it's more fun to time travel midway through the sentence!