struggle to motivate myself, need some guidance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bluetwister, Nov 28, 2022.

1. bluetwister

bluetwister Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey there...
    I wanna tell u guys a happy news, I've got a job, with good salary yey
    I'm gonna start the day after tomorrow
    The boss is nice (I think), he told me that I don't have to worry about the job and he will teach me later
    Well, I've got an important role in the company and a risky one (I think)
    Because my workplace is a family company and is well-known in my country, I think this is a good opportunity, thank God
    But there's a problem with myself, I'm not good at socializing. Besides, I have extremely low self-esteem and an inferiority complex, even tho my family or my friend told me to trust myself, I just can't do it
    And my colleagues are good at their job, well they're a senior with 10 years or so experience in this field
    I don't think they're old people, maybe most of them are in their last 20s or 30s
    I feel inferior *sigh*
    really really inferior
    I'm just a fresher and I don't really know anything about how corporation works in real life... so scared that I will make mistakes and annoy them
    Is it wrong if I'll keep ask them about how to do this and that? Is it gonna annoy them?
    Can you tell me how to motivate myself to be more cheerful so this inferiority complex will disappear? And what to do to impress your colleagues on your first day?
    Thanks a lot guys TwT

2. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Beat them in a game of poker

bluetwister and Miercing like this.
  3. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kill it at the source

Find the problem, accept reality or become better to fill the gap in your ego

Done! Tell yourself that you're amazing and there's nothing to be scared of ( this takes time ) do not lie to yourself, you need to really believe it so that the feeling doesn't come back

Also do not try to suck up too much

bluetwister likes this.
  4. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Company culture varies by country and place, so it's hard to give any clear cut answers.

If you were working with me on IT, I'd value proactive conmunication and asking if unsure.

Even if you abhor small talk, you can just drop a message saying "x is done, what next?" or "unsure how to proceed with y, could you help out?" goes a long way.

In IT, the later mistakes are noticed in the process, the (much) more they cost the company and client... so the less uncertainty, the better imo.

As a SW lead, another thing I dislike is not knowing what's going on and uncertainty, so for that reason too proactive and kinda regular communication is good... even if it was a bit silly question.

Showing interest and willingness to listen and work towards the common goal (f.ex. great customer experience) and valuing the advice from seniors (but not blindly, but understand, chew it and then adapt) would imo help.

Still, note that this is my opinion.

Some people and cultures may have hierarchies or egos the size of Giza's great pyramid... so take with grain of salt.

On first days, I'd say it's ok to carefully get to know how things go before making premature conclusions... but again, varies.

bluetwister likes this.
  5. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, better ask and then remember how to do it than to do it wrongly and make the problem bigger for yourself and everyone else.
    You only become stupid once when you ask, then you become better.
    I'd rather be ask how to do things than see a new person get it wrong and I have to do it again or fix. If someone in your workplace have a problem with that then that's on them and their personality, never take any work attitude personal. At the end of the day they're just co-workers no matter how close you are, so practice professionalism even if they won't, then that would be another source of pride for you.

I suggest meditation and doing affirmations in the mirror everyday. Because inferiority is a subconscious problem in our ways of thinking and life attitudes.
    Practice not making comparison
    Practice gratitude
    Practice self-acceptance
    Etc.

bluetwister likes this.
  6. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Do a quick search on google. If you can't figure it out from a stack post or something, then ask. It's their job to train you.

bluetwister likes this.
  7. bluetwister

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot, guys... These days were really tough for me. I don't understand a single thing and I have to learn all of it in 1 month. Everyone is nice, really nice to me, but when the reality hit me that I have to master it in only 1 month, I got scared and that's it... I lost focus and want to cry... When I go home, I cried... Ugh I know this is like a drama lol
    And when the HRD told me to cheer up, learn harder, try harder... I just can't help but think this field isn't my field
    They are really nice, but my brain just can't catch up TwT
    Is it normal to feel this way in the beginning? It isn't, right? TwT

LolMania likes this.
  8. LolMania

LolMania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Majority of people working in these world dont like the work they do so they force themselves to like it,over the years either they get used to it or they just leave once it becomes unbearable,why force it? Cause they need to make money,if you want to change jobs then you can,ask your seniors about their experience of how did they managed to cope in starting month,you will get used to it,you have to get used to it,or you can think outside of the box,try something that breaks this tireless pyramid,my brothers worked in telecom when he just came to big city,then it was hard,then he applied for a better job got selected, simultaneously learned new skills, used them in work increased efficientcy,then job switched again,he strived for higher and higher and now he has become a manager for a uk based finance company,he still has long ambitions ,and theres me... who foesnt attend college,doesnt know computing skills,learning in computer field...you see the difference? You are in better positions than many many people you just need to maintain it, dont overwork,try slowly,if someone teaches tou how to do 'this'and 'that'then try it yourself, if you still dont understand then ask him again,but at least show some improvement that will make him believe that you have improved so he will try to teach you his best always,when you get hang of it yourself you would not need to ask someone and would be on the same phase as others working,just being a smaller in age, i myself dont know how a company works, and most simple solution you want?

•Then let the nature take its course over the years,just that you dont need to stop continue improving

I know some people would be distressed reading this other worldly knowledge,you dont need to follow point to point,just that its working for me now,
    Also for the extra context, I am being bitten by my cat on my shoulder with her two legs my with pee rubbing on my right shoulder,just cause I accidentally squized her stomach while she was pooping (she doesnt love being squized absolutely hates it)
    My father is ignoring me and cooking in kitchen while i am wailing and typing this comment to complete you so bye have great day

Ignore the para, reality is ofeten disappointing, i am depressed myself,bow need to sqeeze my cat to cure it.

bluetwister likes this.
  9. sea pearl anklet

sea pearl anklet Member

Reading List:
    Link

It is super normal to feel this way!

But remember that you CAN do this. If not they wouldn't have accepted you as an employee in the first place. Before anyone gives up on you, do not give up on yourself.

bluetwister likes this.
  10. bluetwister

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for sharing ur thoughts... I ask her the same question and she replies with the same answer also... At that time I wonder why the reply has the same pattern :v It's somewhat funny to me and idk man... I have to stare at it (for God knows how long it takes) before I understand something simple :v But when I told them I still don't understand how to operate the program or solve a problem if a condition is given to this problem, they just brush it off and tell me that it's okay, the thing is I have to understand the basic first, but I feel what they teach me is not a basic lol, I imagine my situation is like a level 10 adventurer get a side quest with a level 99 hidden boss in the end.. Hmm I can smell the irony TwT
    Anyway thank you

TwT thank you honey TwT
    Please pray for me TwT

LolMania and sea pearl anklet like this.