Discussion Note Taking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ReaderReader, Dec 5, 2022.

1. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like taking notes is very important ( like it's the thing that gets you through uni, together with recording classes) So here are some questions I've been asking myself
    • Do prefer taking notes on paper or on a computer ?
    • Do you maybe write on an ipad/digital notebook ?
    • Do you rewrite your notes ?
    • How many times if you do
    • Do you rewrite your notes digitally or on paper ?
    • Which medium do you find the most efficient ? and Why
    For the people that take notes on paper, what type of paper ?
    • lines
    • rectangles
    • small squares
    • big squares
    • white printing paper
    I take notes on paper during class that are slow and on pc when it goes fast, I also take notes for anything math related on paper because it's so much more complicated to get all the equations and stuff look nice on pc, also you need to have macros or a copy paste data base for all the symbols. I used to do it on a digital notebook but it kept causing me problems leading me to reboot it a lot and losing my data all the time so i stopped

I rewrite my notes on pc all the time, for more structure and so on, I can also get a nice print to study from

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  2. Ahodesuga

Ahodesuga °˖✧Aho desu ga, Nani ka?✧˖° 《Liking Fiend》

Reading List:
    Link
    Paper and pen are op. *nodnod*

Oof_Ash.Here likes this.
  3. profesionaldel95

profesionaldel95 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my handwriting is so ugly it looks like i write in runes, so i prefer digital.

4. Parkjaena9525

Parkjaena9525 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanna share my answer too!

Do prefer taking notes on paper or on a computer ?

Well, I guess I prefer taking notes on paper or just with my phone ^^

Do you maybe write on an ipad/digital notebook ?
    Digital notebook (?)

Do you rewrite your notes ?
    to be honest, it depends hehe

How many times if you do?

I think when there's information that I can't keep in my head, that's when I will take a note

Do you rewrite your notes digitally or on paper ?

My lecturer sometimes doesn't like it when his students take notes digitally and prefer to take notes on paper

Which medium do you find the most efficient ? and Why?

I think digital media is the most efficient, because it's very easy to take notes and of course it's not complicated so it's easier to do.

Oof_Ash.Here likes this.
  5. sevenlights_lu0

sevenlights_lu0 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Taking notes on the computer is most efficient but there are some teachers that don't let you. In that case you can only bear with it and write with paper and pen...

Does rewriting notes work? It has never been very effective for me. I am disorganized and lose track of things too easily so I just pay attention in class then pick a god and pray. :blobpensivepray:

profesionaldel95 and kagome6609 like this.
  6. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    • I prefer pen and paper
    • I used to rewrite my notes but I released it took more of my time ; Usually when I study, I read and write at the same time for bettter memorizing, I prefer this method more.
    • I don't prefer digital , it's not something you can take everywhere and keeping track is also difficult for me. In my professional course, we are advised not to use it tho methods vary

Oof_Ash.Here likes this.
  7. Krinxin

Krinxin Book of Weird Animal Facts

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually write on paper if the notes aren't too long. I like having the freedom to personally design how my notes look and organize them in a way that helps me memorize them well. Digital's fine and all but I usually forget to look back on them. Plus, I get happy seeing the end result of my stuff at the end of a lesson.

8. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, get a textbook smh.
    Paper. I've never seen a person being more comfortable writing on a computer than on paper.
    -
    -
    -
    Paper, duh. Even the most comfortable computer-based text editor UI will not be as intuitive as just moving your hand and writing. And that's a VIM user speaking.
    And as writing on a touch pad - it doesn't give the same feeling of feedback as it's too slick and smooth (surface, not experience). Plus handling paper is easier than a touchpad UI.
    A4 paper for printing. Used ones can be used when they have been printed on one side.
    This way I can write on a place with sufficient space and see the previous notes without turning anything over just by placing the previous pages to the side.

NOTE: try learning Palmer's method for handwriting and life will become easier furthermore.

9. Smile_for_me

Smile_for_me Isekai enthusiast/ knovel lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Paper is nice. I usually write on a textbook and i cant live without it. My brain literally cant function if im not writing

10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    *raises my cane*
    Back in my day, laptops didn't exist. The most portable computers were called "luggable" and cost more than the tuition for the class.

11. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing things down helps you remember them even if you never read them, heck, I cant even read my handwriting

12. haileyyy

haileyyy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I go with paper and pen. Cos it does a double job for me. I can take in (literally memorize) almost half when I take notes and then I read them again to fully observe:blob_grin:.
    Also, like you said, taking notes of math formulas digitally is troublesome. So I do all in hand in hand. Cos most of subjects contains math formulas or chemical reactions:blobpeek:

13. Ca5e

Ca5e Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > I only recommend pen and paper unless you're a medical student
    > Get an Ipad if you really want to take digital notes, samsung/notebooks aren't that suitable for this purpose
    > My handwriting is pretty good; I don't need to rewrite my notes
    > I use horizontal-lined notebooks; but I recommend small-squared paper, notes really look beautiful on it given that your handwriting is decent

14. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    taking note helps me think about it as I write it and repeat it in my head. OP is understatement.

hypersniper159 likes this.
  15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely take notes for courses and even when I do I never read them. I still store multiple notebooks and packets of loose paper I took notes on (I just use whatever is handy) but have never read.

When I want to remember something, I leave a memo by opening a tab and googling it on my phone or laptop. But in reality, I tend to remember them by self-quizzing myself on whatever-I-want-to-remember. If I forget a point, then I am forced to look it up and read on the topic. If the topic interests me or I am anxious about it then after a few repeats I usually remember.

16. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind taking notes on either computer or paper, however i do prefer paper since i feel the pen and the resistance of the paper, ect. I write on any sort of paper. My real preference with writing comes form writing on a hard surface so you can feel the pen actual move. I also love the sound it makes when lifting and dropping the pen on the surface. Oddly enough, i don't like the sound of my apple pen hitting the surface of my ipad, I want to cover my ears when i hear that sound i usually need to listen to blasting music if i want to use my apple pen. I try to write more and more on my ipad since it saves paper.i also reuse all my old notes and do math problems in the empty spaces, and only after all the empty space is taken up, i recycle the paper.

17. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    A notebook with lines and a pencil that has the end of it juuuust right so my writing won't be too sharp or too fuzzy (I also really like the sound a pencil makes on paper). I usually do a bit of shorthand as well so I can keep up with the professor. I don't take notes on a computer cause I'm a lot slower and many of my professors don't allow them in class, and I don't use a pen cause I can't erase my many mistakes

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    paper this cat slow typer
    not mua, but it is possible if you good typer? err if you can type on while listening
    rarely
    depend
    paper for draft~

ReaderReader likes this.
  19. why.

why. ✪WHY SUPREMACY✪|❄ [orangeLover]❄

Reading List:
    Link
    pen and paper sometime phone bc its easier but pen and paper would be my first choice

20. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do prefer taking notes on paper or on a computer? Paper
    Do you maybe write on an ipad/digital notebook? No, because one click can erase all of it
    Do you rewrite your notes? I don't but I usually scribble important stuff atleast 3 times
    How many times if you do
    Do you rewrite your notes digitally or on paper ? 3 times if I were to rewrite it, writing the summary of the previous note and dotting in just the important parts like a clue card.
    Which medium do you find the most efficient and why? In addition to note taking, I prefer reading my lessons three times because that's how many times our brain is most likely to remember information. While the best possible way to remember what you read is to write about it, revisiting it is another powerful way to remember it. Creating a visual diagram on your head where one thing can make you remember the other like a tree branch. Sometimes I even write the page number from my book to refer if I need more clarification and it's easier to look for it.
    For the people that take notes on paper, what type of paper ?
    I prefer one with lines to keep it organized. Usually yellow paper, fold it in half vertically or the notepad that have a line in the middle, it helps access necessary information in one look.

But in college/uni, I don't take notes that much. My professors usually have ppt presentations they give away or a printed version of that and I just refer to that.

ReaderReader likes this.