Question Unsure if I’m translating this right

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Lunasa Lanuru, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Lunasa Lanuru

Lunasa Lanuru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s this paragraph in a novel I’m reading/translating but I feel as if the paragraph isn’t reading quite right.

他们昨个儿收兵回来,少将军挂了一身伤,敌军落荒而逃,被撵到了几十里外。

Which I’ve roughly translated as -

Yesterday when their troops closed in, the Major General had been wounded, while the enemy army fled and were driven several dozen miles away.

But I’m not sure if it’s just my brain at 1am lol or am I missing something?

2. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not super sure, but "挂了一身伤" seems to imply the major general has been wounded all over their body. Otherwise it looks good to me.

Lunasa Lanuru likes this.
  3. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    收兵 is withdraw troops, not closed in. This is reporting after the battle, so when the troops withdrew and returned (or when the troops were called back), the major general had suffered extensive injuries (or wounds)...

4. Lunasa Lanuru

Lunasa Lanuru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely missed the whole body part. Thank you for pointing it out!

Ahh - that makes more sense and it reads better in the paragraph. Thank you so much for explaining it.

5. Lanpenny

Lanpenny New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I'm also a translator and just finished some books including one named Actor to Legend, may I get some suggestions for it?

Chapter 1 is here.

###Chapter 1 Young Man in Distress

"Hey, buddy! Are you interested in becoming an actor?" A voice was heard when a young man in a white short-sleeved shirt and brown trousers, who looked like he was in his twenties, came to the side of the street and was about to open the door to his car.

"Hm?" He turned his head, puzzled. The man who appeared before him looked to be around twenty-five to thirty years old. He was dressed in a suit and had a smile on his face, looking like a successful person.

"Hello there. I am Frederick Rogers, a manager from The Elite Management Company. You can call me Fred or Frederick." He extended his arm. "Do you like performing?"

"Only just." The young man did not shake hands with him. Instead, he flashed a self-deprecating and helpless smile. "Listen, I know my goods are larger than the average person, but I bear no interest in those movies of yours."

He said this very seriously. Frederick, the self-proclaimed agent, was stunned for about two seconds before bursting into laughter. This made the young man frown.

"Sorry, buddy. I didn't mean to offend you," Noticing this, the agent quickly stopped laughing and took a business card out of his pocket. "I can imagine how annoying those guys can be. But trust me, I'm not like them. I am an employee of a completely legit agency."

Probably because of how sincere his tone was, the young man finally took his business card doubtfully. Besides his name, there was the name of his agency - The Elite Management Company.

"Although our company has only been established for slightly more than two years, it is no worse than any of the big companies. Several of our founders used to be executives in ICM Partners. Do you know about it? It's one of the world's leading talent agencies, and one of the most well-known management companies in Hollywood," the other man explained. Although he sounded sincere, he still gave off the feeling of a salesperson in a commercial.

"You're Sean, aren't you? Sean Callaghan," Frederick said. "I was at the bank too. I saw your performance. It's riveting. Have you ever had experience in performing?"

The young man named Sean did not answer. He merely caressed the business card, his gaze wandering between the card and Frederick.

Frederick seemed to notice something. He did not say anything more. Instead, he reached out and patted Sean's arm. "Our company is in Beverly Hills. You can come to have a look if you want, Mr. Callaghan. We also have a specialized website. If you have a computer that's connected to the Internet, you can learn about us online. Think about it. If you change your mind, you can call me."

After that, he smiled and turned to leave.

Sean still did not speak. After watching Frederick get into his car and start it, he pulled his gaze away and curled his lips, as if he were a little smug. But it quickly turned into a bitter smile. How would he have fought with the bank employees if he hadn't been left with no other option?

To sum up, Sean was currently distressing. Four months after coming to Los Angeles, besides the second-hand car before him and a few personal belongings in his apartment, he had only a few dollars in his pocket.

So, this afternoon, he worked hard to complete his work. After receiving a check for 600 dollars, he rushed to the bank so that he could remedy his urgent situation.

Unexpectedly, the damn bank had suspended the check exchange service due to a system upgrade. He had such bad luck. It was a Friday, and if he couldn't cash in his check, eating would be an issue for the next two days. It was also nearly five o'clock, so it was too late for him to find another place.

Anyone encountering a situation like this would inevitably be agitated, much less Sean, who had been living unusually terribly in the last four months. He immediately made a dramatic show of the bank not clearly stating in the main area that people couldn't use the check exchange service.

"This is negligence on your part. If I had seen a notice while walking in stating that customers can't use the check exchange service due to a system upgrade, I would not have come in! But you had not done this. You did not convey this information clearly, so you must take responsibility for this."

"Listen to me, ladies and gentlemen, as customers, it is in our rights to know whether a service can be used or not. Therefore, the bank is obliged to inform every customer who enters the bank in the most obvious and direct way when they can't operate certain systems, instead of making us spend time here waiting, and then being told that we can't use the service! Just like that gentleman just now who may have needed to cash in his check because the bank is going to close soon, and tomorrow is the weekend. But the negligent bank denied him without hesitation. A philosopher once said that wasting people's time for no reason is equivalent to murder. That might be too much, but the bank should still shoulder responsibility, shouldn't they?"

He said all this in the central area of the bank. His agitated expressions, paired with his waving arms, affected quite a few of the bank's employees. Some people were angry because they couldn't cash in their checks, and they were instantly infuriated.

However, the bank reacted quickly. The manager promptly came out to appease everyone. After a brief communication with the clerk, he admitted that the responsibility was on his side and said that he would make exceptions for every person who needed to cash in their checks.

"Everyone, listen to me, alright? Under your witness, I would like to apologize to Phillip and the bank. Although most of the responsibility belongs to the bank, I did not remain calm and disrupted the peace. You have settled this very well, and thus I should apologize to you. I am happy to have handled my business with them, and they have shown me what a responsible bank would do. I will continue supporting them, and I believe that goes for everyone."

Sean said all this to the crowd after receiving his money. Although he was only eighteen years old, he was not the reckless type. He knew what to do at the right times. Well, most of the time.

If he had not been forced, he would not have done such a thing that might have attracted the police. So, since the bank was so generous, he did not mind praising it. Even if he did not return in the future, he still had to have his morals.

Plus, he was very confident in his acting skills. In his high school's drama club, he was often the male lead or the supporting actor in the plays, and he had won awards in the US - group awards.

Sean could throw himself easily into the role of another person. Just like moments ago, he turned completely into a customer tortured by the unfair ethics of the bank, causing the people present to resonate with him and cheer for him - God knew that it was the first time he came to this bank.

So, when the manager walked out to calm the situation, he had a professional smile on his face. But after Sean said all that and won the people's applause, he smiled with a little more sincerity and enthusiasm.

Sean was not surprised that the agent would come running after him. In the four months that Sean had been in Los Angeles, he had met people who called themselves agents more than once. After talking for a while, they would say that he had the looks and ask if he was interested in becoming an actor. And then...

In short, after visiting the so-called sets that they mentioned due to his naivety, he treated these people carelessly when he met them again. Although he was in a poor state, he was not yet at the stage of becoming a sex actor.

But this guy today looked much more authentic than those people. Sean thought this to himself as he looked at the card. After thinking for a while, he finally put it away and started his car.

The door opened. A few minutes later, Sean, who was holding two paper bags in his arms and the key with his pinky, carefully entered his apartment. However, halfway through, he stopped. He frowned as if he had forgotten something. Just as he thought of it, he widened his eyes and was about to respond when a dark shadow leaped up and pounced on his head.

"Hold on, Borke! Hold on!" As Sean shouted, a paper bag fell to the ground with a thud. A few household products and cans rolled out.

At the same time, a dog the size of two hands with yellow and white fur lay in his bent arm, licking his face with its tongue affectionately.

"Enough, you little runt, enough!" Sean closed the door and put down the bags in the middle of Borke's 'attack', and held the puppy in his arms to teach it a lesson.

The puppy barked loudly, opening its mouth to bite his hand from time to time. It kicked its limbs about, seeming very happy.

After playing for a while, Sean let it go and held it in front of him. "Have you caused trouble at home today? Don't shake your head that quickly. If I find out that you've urinated all over the place again, you're dead, Borke! Have you finished eating? Oh, look at you, you're such a picky eater. Well, eat this. I'll give you a big meal as a reward."

Holding Borke, Sean checked the room. Sean handed the can of half-eaten dog food to him, but the dog turned its head away without looking at it. Then, it jumped out of his arms and pranced to the canned food that had fallen out of the paper bag. It sniffed at it twice and then raised its head to bark at its owner.

"Should I praise your nose, Borke? You could smell it before I even opened it." Sean looked at the dog half-jokingly and half-seriously. That 600 dollars had temporarily solved his problems, and so he had bought some better dog food. He had not expected that this rascal would abandon the original one immediately.

Sean had initially been meant to hold it off a little longer, but when he saw Borke's big, innocent eyes, he sighed and opened the can.

As soon as he pushed it before him, the gluttonous little thing buried its head in the can and ate, wagging its tail as if it were very happy.

The dog was picked up by the roadside two months after Sean came to Los Angeles. It was placed in a small box on a remote side of the road. It was quite small at the time, and it seemed to have just been born. It was dirty and messy. If Sean had not kindly picked it up, it would not have lasted for long.

Hence, the recovered puppy was very close to Sean. He was also very good-looking. Was it a Collie or a Harrier? Although he had a dog at home, he couldn't tell. Borke was cute and obedient. He didn't know what the person who threw it away was thinking.

If not for the money spent on Borke's registration, body checkups, and vaccines, Sean would not be so poor now. But even if he hadn't spent that money, Sean would have survived for a mere two days at best.

Sean laughed at himself and looked around. There was only one room, a mini kitchen, and a bathroom. It was about 200 square feet, and the rent was 300 dollars a month. There was a bed, two chairs, an old sofa, a small tea table, a wooden guitar, a simple wardrobe, an old computer, and that broken car. This was all he had now.

"I'm probably the poorest person living a new life," he said self-mockingly.

He sighed and took out the pizza and beer he had bought. After a few mouthfuls, he suddenly stopped. Then, he sat in front of his computer, opened it, and went online. He took out the business card and typed in the website.

"Should I give it a try?" Sean asked himself doubtfully while rubbing his chin and looking at the official-looking website, thinking of that guy's solemn words this afternoon.

6. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not post on the forum