Discussion Am I the only one who sided with the villainess in basic heroine mc focused stories

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by emersy, Dec 27, 2022.

1. emersy

emersy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine your the fiance of a crown prince and where taught to be a queen from a very young age. You have no normal childhood because of all the sessions you need to attend to to become the proper queen and suddenly you heard/saw your fiance having suspicious relations with another girl. Even I would be crazy pissed with that, and hurt the homewrecker. All your efforts and hard work would be for nothing and the fucker prince doesn't even think of that because in the end the one who is gonna lose something is not him. tbh, if the prince doesn't like the villainess fiance then he should have ended the engagement earlier instead of embarassing her infront of many people. Why can't they always be civil for once. If he were to be a king it is more smart to negotiate with another rival country than start a stupid war where everyone will lose regarding which side would win. It's better to talk to the parents (which are the ones whom paired them to begin with) than do it infront of a larger crowd. It might be hard yes but if they really "love" each other then they should just work for it AND apologize for the ex fiance (villaness). The villainess might not be happy about it at the start but who cares they are the ones who were at fault, they should just give her tons of money/power etc. and apologies since she's the one who were losing a lot (tainted reputation and unfulfilled and rewarded hard work). They just need to suck it up.

I bet those "breaking the engagement after a party" events are just their way to whitewashed the bitch (heroine). If it were in the real world, everyone would side with the fiance even if she tried to hurt the cheating party, heck I would even plan to take revenge with her (a gal has to help another gal).

sorry I have read tons of this kind of novels/mangas so I need to pent up my frustration in one long rant XD

caffeinefocus, mir, sakyuya and 2 others like this.
  2. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Let it out friend... just as wise person said

sakyuya, puukkiss and emersy like this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Readers choosing to side with the villainess is basic as hell. :blobneutral:

4. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Well said !!
    More, let your frustration out more !

sakyuya and puukkiss like this.
  5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed. But it's always amusing.

sakyuya and otaku31 like this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the villain make some sense.... or thing like that trope~

sakyuya and otaku31 like this.
  7. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If these stories were written realistically, then the "lover" would not be alive, or at least no longer present since the scandal would be huge and either someone would call in an assassin (either the Villainess's or prince's families to end the scandal) or she would be married off or sent to a convent by her own family VERY quickly.

That or the Prince's father would go "good thing I have a spare, since you can not rule" and disown their idiot son.

The only time it comes close to plausible is when the "lover" is the Mc's sibling, as then you can have golden child syndrome getting involved, and there is no slighting a powerful noble family (one of the requirements to be the prince's fiance BTW)

These stories almost all require completely ignoring the politics involved. Though it is a bit telling that a good number of them have the "condemnation event" happen when the adults are not there to put a stop to it.

caffeinefocus, mir and Tsubaki - like this.
  8. MayflowerDev

MayflowerDev New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's an interesting perspective.

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I almost never see that trope outside of villainess stories where the "villainess" is the real protagonist anyway, at least not in a way where the character is in any way relatable.
    And even in these stories I often have a hard time really caring about any of the characters since it is about royalty or nobility, even with their life supposedly ruined, most of the time they would still be among the privileged and able to live a better life than most if they tried.

datagirl, KirbyNerd9 and imK like this.
  10. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the characters.

If the villain/villainess is more likeable to me than the mc then of course I will prefer them. Especially if the mc is poorly written or has particularly annoying traits. You have to dig through a lot of trash to find interesting characters on either side though. Sometimes everyone in the story is boring and sucks except for the one side character that only turns up for a scene or few before disappearing. When I'm bored I write au about these characters for my own entertainment as part of my writing practice to stimulate usable ideas for work.

mir and sakyuya like this.
  11. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is basically the premise of most otome game isekais - the villainess is the tragic, slandered victim and the heroine is the ignorant or malicious homewrecker.

On a side note, this reminds me of Lyanna and Rhaegar in ASOIAF and what the expected reaction would be. Two idiot young nobles start a war by eloping and scorning their fiance/wife's families. It always makes me laugh when people try to whitewash their actions in fanfictions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    mir, imK and sakyuya like this.
  12. cranes_stairwell

cranes_stairwell Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I get this. I think trying to see how a situation looks from the antagonist's or a side character's perspective makes reading more fun, especially since webnovels tend to follow the same general tropes. Trying to connect where one sort of story (common woman marrying a prince) can be reimagined as another story (villainess counterattacking after a broken engagement) is really fun, imo.
    The stories you brought up can be frustrating, but I try to remember that they're usually written as wish-fulfillment fantasies about being whisked away into a better life, and not a political intrigue story.

My own version of this problem is reading a quick transmigration/counterattack novel and being confused when people condemn antagonist green teas, when the MC is also a green tea. Like, a lot of villains are pretty bad, but it's weird when no one acknowledges that the protagonist is equally as scummy. At least in a typical villainess plot, a lower-class woman marrying a prince is more reasonable because a lower-class woman can't necessarily reject a prince.

datagirl, mir, imK and 1 other person like this.
  13. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your comment screams basic.

14. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure. Whatever floats your boat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

datagirl likes this.
  15. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    The most historically accurate way would be for the prince to marry his intended fiancee, then keep a mistress or two in his court and keep changing to a younger mistress when they're no longer fresh and interesting. All while having a semi-competent queen to do her duties and birth him an heir. And once the heir is birthed, the queen will probably find her own paramour to keep her entertained as she travels to other countries and manors.

datagirl, caffeinefocus, mir and 2 others like this.
  16. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of like the idea of seeing it from the Queen's perspective, except without making her either a salted fish or a jealous harpy. Gonna bookmark that idea if you don't mind.

datagirl, caffeinefocus and mir like this.
  17. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you think there's even a chance you're the only one? There are so many novels centered on mary sue villainesses...

IMO the bad guy is 100% the prince who cheats on his fiancee and, when he's caught, decides to charge her with serious crimes instead of giving up on his fling. Who he'd get tired of really quickly if she wasn't a cheating partner, I'm sure, because she's just a low-class noble or even commoner, nothing in common with him.

datagirl, imK and mir like this.