Recommendations Logical MC in a plothole-less world

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Ruggit, Dec 31, 2022.

1. Ruggit

Ruggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'm currently out of town and dying of boredom with nothing to really read. I've read a few hundred illustrated chapters in the past 2 days and have fully caught up. I have a few incomplete novels to finish, but I cant bring myself to do so at least for now
    King's Avatar got boring since I was binging it, but now I can't jump back into it at ~ch1500 because I forgot literally every name and the specifics about what was happening, will probably need to fully re-read from chapter 1 some time; Chronicles of Primordial war fits my criteria perfectly and I fucking love the story/mc, but I got stuck halfway through on the 15-20 chapters that some dipsh*t picked up and completely destroyed the translations on. During the knot tying stuff, where you literally can't logically deduce the translations since he translated all of the names of people and tribes differently than every other translation before and after him. I looked for hours for alternative translations for those chapters but to no avail, if you know of any proper translations for that spot PLEASE let me know :blobimfine: Also got Worlds’ Apocalypse Online to read, I stopped at the beginning of the final Part 3 of the series, since what happened pissed me off a ton. Will probably read that later, but not now.
    I seem to be very picky with my novels, unlike how I am with illustrated things but basically I'm looking for an MC, where even if I don't agree with his morals and whatever, I can at least appreciate their ingenuity or think 'yeah I understand how somebody would make a decision like that'.
    \ Examples of this are Primordial Wars MC, TLM's MC, or WAO's MC. /
    I just really love being able to be at the same level as the MC's thought process, not always complaining about smooth-brain choices, nor always being 'blown away' by some 200iq plot armor nonsense.
    -This being said, I don't really enjoy psychological where its just a ton of inner monologue and thinking/schemes, I enjoy proper thought processes, not a ton of mind games or thinking in general.

As for the 2nd part of the post's name, I really enjoy tidy stories, or at least tidy enough. It can really, really get to me and destroy the enjoyment of a series if there is a plot hole that can supposedly solve all of the MC's troubles that never gets properly addressed or concluded. WAO is unique in this regard, because despite the maelstrom of shit that exists in this universe, its been tidied to the point where even the #1 plot-hole making developments seem to fit in really well, and nothing seems too egregious to me.

By what I've said, obviously I prefer action and OP MCs but honestly as long as it matches my 2 criteria above I'm willing to try any genres. This is a ridiculous request, if you read this far and can manage to find a good read for my picky butt, I have my bank account of 720$ nuffies on the line for you.

2. Worst Riven Main

Worst Riven Main Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried Reverend Insanity? It has a lot of schemes but I assure you it's one of the best Chinese webnovel I've read. The MC is very logical and the world is immersive. Even if you don't like Schemes and psychological novels in general, I recommend you to at least try it

Ruggit likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    case file 013 perhaps? I might search for more later

again and again HP fanfiction on fanfiction.net

Ruggit likes this.
  4. Flying Jello

Flying Jello Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord Grimm, Ruggit and mahina like this.
  5. GGbookluver

GGbookluver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about the novel's extra, everyone other than the MC was pretty dumb.

Miercing and Ruggit like this.
  6. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
  7. GGbookluver

Reading List:
    Link
    Praise the Orc: Doesn't focus on schemes and drama so there isn't much manipulative intelligence. The MC is rational and the story is a smooth ride.

Lord of the Mysteries: Keep in mind there are a lot of inner monologues and world-building info. However, the story is the best among web novels in terms of plot, lore, and logical characters. A must-read.

Debut Or Die: I don't know if you'll like this, as the premise isn't really appealing, but the MC is very calculative and the story doesn't jump through hoops to justify things.

Ruggit and mahina like this.
  8. mahina

mahina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries for sure.

Then, if you like that story, Deep Sea Embers.

I also rec Dominion’s End, if you are okay with a genderbend. MC isn’t scheming per se, but it is very good worldbuilding and characterization, with lots of plot points and little details that get planted and then revisited.

Ruggit likes this.
  9. Fort de Knox

Fort de Knox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that's a perfect recommendation!

expertsource10 and Ruggit like this.
  10. Ruggit

Ruggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've thought about Reverend Insanity time and time again, I've just been unable to pull the trigger. One of these days I'll have to give it a go; the main thing holding me back is that I read the illustrated adaptation (Master of Gu) until it got cancelled which left me with mixed feelings, and from everything I've seen its edginess always appears too much for me. But I might end up checking that out in these next few days if the boredom gets high enough. Thanks for the recco.

This one seems super interesting, because the more I look at it the more it reminds me of the TV series Warehouse 13, which with looking at reviews/synopsis seems to be where it drew inspiration. Was one of the only tv shows I've ever watched, so I'll check it out. As for the HP fanfic, it looks interesting but I'm not good with fanfics since characters never feel how I interpreted them from the original, since they rely heavily on reader interpretation for small nuances and things. Thanks for the 1st recco, will definitely give it a check!

I've looked at Lord of the Mysteries tons of times, sometimes seeing a bunch of good reviews, sometimes bad ones. I haven't made the shot just yet, since as I said I don't much like the psychological, which the title/synopsis screams for some reason. I'll probably give it a go though, since the reviews sing praises and don't mention the supposed psychological aspects at all. The main NU review says everything I want to hear. Thanks for the recco

I've looked at this one multiple times as well, the only thing stopping me from trying it out is the plot itself doesn't seem to interest me. Gives me some heavy spirited away vibes, and as a child spirited away was this whole thing for me, I wont get into it :sweating_profusely:. Thank you regardless :blobokhand:

I completely forgot about Praise the Orc! I had this tab open for weeks pondering whether I wanted to read it, although I went for primordial wars instead. The main thing that stopped me, funnily enough, was the lack of chapters. I'm a super picky person, and many times when I find things I love, the ending hurts me more than the happy times of actually reading the story :blob_teary:. To circumvent this, I pick things that are very long so I can reread them tons of times without memorizing it, to relive some moments I happen to forget. Thanks for the recco!!

Honestly this story looks almost interesting enough for me to read, it seems pretty cool. The only reason I won't, is because the premise of 'system threatening you' was already done in an extremely similar setting in 'King of Drama', a manhwa that I read. If I didn't waste the 'freshness' of that part in particular I could see myself really enjoying this series. After reading king of drama, where it just relies upon trying to make the 'requirements' it really has become not fun for me anymore :(. I definitely appreciate the reccomendation though, I might read it in the future when I forget King of Drama existed.

I agree with your thought process, if I enjoy Lord of Mysteries more than I think, I'll definitely check this out.

Toatally fine with genderbend as long as it's done well, this one looks interesting. Some of the reviews are split between liking/hating MC, so I suppose I'll need to give it a go some time. I do enjoy myself some normie apocalypse regression, and family/protection dynamics are welcome compared to edgy, solo type stories.

Thank you all for the recommendations. Currently leaning towards trying Lord of Mysteries / Praise the Orc first, still too apprehensive on Reverend Insanity (If only for the fact that I'd need to get through the chapters that I've already experienced in illustrated form, which is an icky feeling for me). Might split the nuffy bounty if I end up enjoying multiple of these recommendations, I'll let ya know in a few days.

11. GGbookluver

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you are in luck. The system isn't sentient and gives the MC a year to accomplish every mission. The novel is a character-driven story.

Ruggit likes this.
  12. Ruggit

Ruggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ooh, okay. If that isn't as big of an aspect my interest is definitely much higher. Will give it a go in the next few days. (y)

13. GGbookluver

Reading List:
    Link
    Also as someone who read most of My House of Horrors, the story is more about human philosophy and horror. MC is kind of a whackjob too, adding to the enjoyment.

Hope you like it! :)
    Edit: also check out the review by Lynnezh they translated the Debut or Die to Spanish and then MTL'd it to English. Spanish translates well into English, so it's pretty good. It's up to 300+ chapters

Ruggit likes this.
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly, I am not familiar with the original franchize, so I can't say anything about that. I enjoyed it as a mostly stand-alone story of its own...

Also, I recently tried a manhwa called surviving romance (which doesn't have romance in it) and it is a bit wacky but mostly fun and I can understand why the characters act the way they do.

Ruggit likes this.
  15. Flying Jello

Reading List:
    Link
    Ruggit likes this.
  16. phoenix107

phoenix107 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Author's POV is also a great rec.
    The first 100 or so chapters are really similar to The novel's extra and are full of info dumps but it gets really good after that.
    Btw its not on this site but webnovel.

Ruggit, GGbookluver and Flying Jello like this.
  17. Flying Jello

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, no one's mentioning Omnicient Reader's Viewpoint....

Ruggit likes this.
  18. Ruggit

Ruggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This one looks interesting, with transmitigation-sception or whatever happening. I'm not too much of a fan of these types of stories, just because of how many there are. If the FMC is smart however that is a good selling point; my main issue with those types of novels is the bad writing of FMCs that cant think/act independently, they always think like trash

It looks interesting, but not really for me. I think the premise is unique, but I don't enjoy the movies that the series delves into :blobconcerned:. At least, not enough to go into the movie universes and whatnot. Still ty for the recommendation

Idk why but TNE's plot doesn't really interest me, I guess I've read so many 'mc who knows future/plot' things that it just feels too bland to me. I have looked at Author's POV, just haven't taken the shot. Thanks for the recco

That one is funny, I enjoy the story a lot but I first found it in its illustrated form. I would've probably read the novel, but the manhwa is enjoyable enough for me that I don't feel the urge to, honestly. It's doin me just fine, and I am biased towards pictures if I can help it.

Flying Jello likes this.
  19. Flying Jello

Reading List:
    Link
    So you read the manhwa first?:blobfearful:

Got more since I'm bored and got nothing else to do
    Otherworldly Evil Monarch
    Warlock of the Magus World
    Breakers
    And if you can handle fanfics, give HP A magical journey a try.

Ruggit likes this.
  20. spider

spider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link