Discussion Webnovel annoyance

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Gluttonous Goat, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Gluttonous Goat

Gluttonous Goat Be GOAT, Do [CHOMP!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Who else Hates that ever female lead novel on webnovel is forced to have a romance tag I'm not looking for a God damn romance novel also why can't we combine tags to find what we want

Diametric and Sabruness like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh, if it has romance, it is only natural it will feature a tag stating the same. :blobwoah:

P.S. Never thought the day would come when I would have to defend Webnovel. :notlikeblob:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    ikhors likes this.
  3. Gluttonous Goat

Gluttonous Goat Be GOAT, Do [CHOMP!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but not all female lead novels have romance and they are in the male protagonist category so it's easy to miss them and what's with all the male lead books that only have a female on the cover it's so annoying

Diametric likes this.
  4. moonlhgt

moonlhgt ~Is in la la land~

Reading List:
    Link
    Maiden of the Splitting Moon isn't like that, it's on webnovel and there is no romance in case you wanted a recommendation

5. ShrikeBird

ShrikeBird Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm ok with the romance novels. It's more the ones where there is unrealistic development- like every character winds up in love with the mc. Even if the character is the most wonderful person in world, not everyone is going to like you!

6. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the Webnovel UI doesn't care about the enjoyment of the readers, just how it can get more money. Like, you'll try to read something in your browser and it'll be like "install the app to read more." Bitch, I'm on a PC, you think I want to download a program to do something that's perfectly feasible in a browser? Or you'll see you have a notification and think someone has liked/replied to one of your comments, and it turns out that it's actually a notification to tell you that someone you don't know has donated money to a novel you haven't read. Why tf would I care about that??? I don't, and they know I don't, but they do it anyway because doing it that way persuades more people to give them money.

As for the "male/female" sections in Webnovel, I think they've ignored the gender of the protagonist (even though that's what they claim the tag means) and instead grouped the novels by the intended target audience - male lead tag for novels targeted towards boys (action novels) and female lead tag for novels targeted towards girls (romance novels). Most of the time this works out because novels aimed at boys tend to have male protagonists and vice versa, but sometimes it doesn't and Webnovel seems to just go "Oh well! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" because splitting the novels that way is more beneficial to whatever algorithm they use to push novels and they gain nothing by actually making the tags coherent to their readers.