Recommendations A Chinese Imperial Harem Story

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Chelsey Smith, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Chelsey Smith

Chelsey Smith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiru~~

I am honestly desperate because it seems like I've been looking forever. I want a novel similar to The Job of an Imperial Concubine, in which the MC is aware of her precarious position as a concubine and schemes and plans for her future. The MC must be a concubine and I'm open to smut. Although I can't read mandarin chinese so raw links would be useless (Historical novels are also a no no for MTL).

Would appreciate fast recommendations Thank you~~

2. Arimathea

Arimathea Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also got hooked by that novel so bad, I haven't found something similar to it but I can recommend you some that also got me rethink of life like The Job of an Imperial Concubine.
    - To Be A Virtuous Wife
    - Like Pearl And Jade

Chelsey Smith likes this.
  3. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Chelsey Smith

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the recommendations. I had previously DNFed Beloved Empress
    I am currently reading Daughter-in-Law of a Noble House and Pampered Consort's Acting Award
    I already read Husband,be a Gentleman and it's better to be the Empress Dowager and I became the Stepmother of my Ex-Husband.
    I look forward to reading The pearl in the Imperial City
    The historical reimaginings

Thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately I have already read both of these novels. Though I feel that Like Pearl and Jade has a Empress MC that is in a committed monogamous relationship so it doesn't really fit. If you have any other recommendations do feel free

Tsubaki - likes this.
  5. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem, I just listed all novels remotely fitting the 'imperial harem' genre on my reading lists.
    I know you're not a big fan of reading raw historical novels, but I'll still highly recommend MTLing Consort Shu 淑妃 by 晓桥琉水. It's one of the best imperial harem novels I've ever read, right up there with The Job of an Imperial Concubine.
    Shen Moyun entered the palace as the first-class Consort Shu, only one step away from the position of empress. But that single step took her twenty-five years.

6. Chelsey Smith

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately I have already read both of these novels. Though I feel that Like Pearl and Jade has a Empress MC that is in a committed monogamous relationship so it doesn't really fit. If you have any other recommendations do f
    I honestly don't know how to MTL though the novel sounds really interesting.mHave you tried it before. It's historical so isn't the mtl hard to read??

7. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL can be hard to read, especially titles and idioms! So, I don't really recommend it. I try to read sentence's meaning and not every word. I use the Kiwi browser on my phone, which has an automatic translation function, but there are plenty of other mtl methods.
    Here's a link to the novel that might be easier to navigate than jjwxc's website.

8. tamnz14

tamnz14 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Had you read three lives three worlds a thousand miles of peach blossoms yet? I consider that fantasy/imperial romance

9. Chelsey Smith

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read that book no. I've watched the series a few times though, I'm not sure how close to the original material that is?? Is she a concubine in one of the arcs?

10. tamnz14

tamnz14 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think its close enough. Speaking of watching, Netflix has the continue series about the niece (fox queen) and the heavenly king for people who are heartbroken about their tragic romance. Its not great but it makes me feel less bitter about the series

11. Chelsey Smith

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's pretty close then I'd rather not, I've watched that show way too many times. The one with Dilrabat yeah?? Cuz they made a movie with Angelababy in like 2016 or something. But yeah, watched that one too.
    Do recommend any chinese stories where the main character is a concubine. Even better if she's not like the only one in his heart or something. If at one point he dismisses all his other concubine, no thanks I've probably already read that one. If you have one where the main character is a prostitute or like some sort of sex worker that would be really nice as well.