Discussion How come

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AshHole, Jan 23, 2023.

1. AshHole

AshHole Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How come in novels about transmigrating into cannon fodders, the canon fodder story line doesnt really seems like a cannon fodder one but more like the streotypical main character's just that the author says its a cannon fodder. Its like the author cant think of a plot that would actually redeem or give opportunity to a real cannon fodder story so they just exchange the label. They're pitiful and the original mc is a white lotus or something similar.
    And the richest most powerful in the world is not the original ml but also a cannon fodder that would be with the transmigrated mc.

Fuyuneko and msbwhy like this.
  2. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could just be the limit of the author's capabilities. Not everyone is blessed with logic reason and creativity. I see a lot appreciate those kind of work as those are easy read but it's also hard to like it for me as I like things that are logical.
    Or just that they think their readers are dumb enough to be entertained from their half ass work. Write it for the pure sake of monetization and just base it off the popular trend.

AshHole likes this.
  3. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    While I can't recall them on the tip of my tongue, I have read novels where at the beginning the story is summarized and you wonder which one will be the cannon fodder only for the author mention: Oh body original owner, she was a passerby, who was influenced by all this but had only two lines in the novel.
    True cannon fodder should be someone who has little to no influence on the story. MC's job is to simply keep them safe from plot madness. Cannon fodder wants to live an ordinary life and not to be a famous scientist/ rich or other things that the Main protagonist did.
    If cannon fodder starts to fight with the main character for plot attention, they are bad cannon fodder.

asriu and AshHole like this.
  4. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll say it's a matter of perspective, but still true it can be dumbfounding sometimes

LeniSnow likes this.
  5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why novels turn out like this is pretty easy to figure out. The tendency of authors is to write stories that in ways that are convenient for them. And when you're writing a protagonist, it's more convenient to make them the center of attention. Sure there are other ways to do this, but that's more the kind of thing that seasoned writers tackle.

The more intriguing question for me is why do so many Japanese Villainess novels turn out the way they do. They tend to strip out all the social aspects of the story when the social aspects are the main draw of this kind of book. I get why this happens, but I have no idea why any authors think it's a good idea.

LeniSnow likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the type of cannon fodder~
    those who used as face slap, idiot obstacles, certain specific plot drama or plot mover, pure passerby who mentioned as peanut gallery~
    at least those are the type of cannon fodder on typical CN WN~ some give what if idea like fan fiction of non existent story (just snippets of "original" timeline), other just background for sake of background and forgotten after awhile, rarely it really matter~
    the same reason dragonball xuanhuan~ a fad and there audience for the specific genre~
    nothing new really~ if more cynical approach why fast food is popular~ every genre is like that like it or not, be it literature or just commercial level entry~

7. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    For the first part of my post, this isn't entirely true as making the writing process more convenient is something that benefits the author but doesn't do anything for the audience. For the second part, it doesn't work at all. When someone copies a work, then they usually copy it. In Villainess novels, the writers copy parts of "Kenkyo" but skip out the most important aspect of it. It's as if someone made a film called "Jurassic Theme Park" but left out the dinosaurs.

Fuyuneko and LeniSnow like this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    that what you think no? but the direct audience seem doing fine~ taking some part while ignoring other be it important or not is the usual stuff~ it doesn't work for you and that's fine~

LeniSnow likes this.
  9. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is funny.

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    It's perfectly normal to like bad books. Hell, I like reading bad books. But the problem here goes beyond the Villainess books being bad. It's that the whole purpose for them to exist is to place the Villainess as the Queen Bee in a social environment. Take that social environment out of the story and the whole premise doesn't even function any more. I understand what people get out of the end result but it's such an inferior product compared to what it could have been and the writers should know that.

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    some know, some simple not care~ again every genre is like that if you really looking into it on general direction~ villainess hardly unique case~ this cat personally think xuanhuan or xianxia or let say cultivation story on general waste potential with how it can produce zhu xian aka jade dynasty and ze tian ji aka the way of choice~

12. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that the Villainess situation is pretty unique in that the writers are actively working against their subgenre. I guess you can say that something similar happens in (Chinese) Romance novels where the main relationship tends to be terrible but at least those books are designed to cater to a specific fetish so this doesn't apply.

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its more like they take popular template, modify it then combine it with other templates to make their own story~ on CN counter part is the exactly cannon fodder situation~ the villainess take approach of : misunderstanding, the heroine actually the bad guy different view kind of, forced by circumstances, or the original trying to breaking death flag~ it's like the antagonist have point trope exploration~