Discussion My list of favorite genres keeps shrinking

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Shadowdrop, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Originally, I had a lot of genres I enjoyed. Historical, transmigration, romance, mystery, slice of life, sports, e-sports, campus, entertainment, rags to riches, sci-fi, etc. But many of the genres have one or two potential hazards that lately make me hesitant to pick them up.

Like, in historical, entertainment, and martial arts novels sometimes a side character, cannon fodder, or a villain gets raped and no one in-universe even cares (and neither does the author). Or rags to riches are mostly marygary sue, with rare good ones speckled in between. A lot of romance novels have casual stalking, manipulating, dub-con. Some e-sports novels are xenophobic (particularly against South Korea, for some reason).

Basically, every genre has good and bad novels. And that's normal.

But then there are a couple of "safe" genre combinations. For example, campus + comedy or mmorpg + slice of life = basically guaranteed unproblematic story.

Maybe because I get emotionally and mentally tired at work lately, when it comes to choosing novels, I started more and more skewing towards the "safe" and "unproblematic" genres. And while they are very good for calming down and decompressing, I kind of miss the variety. I miss the times when I would skim through 10-20 novels and find one that I absolutely love. I miss some genres that I abandoned because I kept stumbling upon unpleasant things.

TL;DR: Exhaustion at work lead me to play safe when choosing novels. But safe is less diverse and unique. Am sad. Need hug.

nyamachi likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, basically, you might be overlooking potential in your quest towards avoiding potential pitfalls. :hmm:
    Oh, well, no criticism from me. If novels are your only way of unwinding, I can see the merit in playing it safe.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    nyamachi and Shadowdrop like this.
  3. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    *huggles* there there

Shadowdrop likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat actually have few since beginning so not a problem~ generally this cat enjoy the story rather than the genre, while this cat have tendency to read certain genre it not really a favourite~ that way this cat can read thing on diverse range~