Discussion common sense and basic manners that you wish people practice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by warspite, Jan 27, 2023.

1. warspite

warspite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Topic above! I am curious about what manners/etiquette/anything you think people should know and practice more. I can also learn from them so thank you in advance!

For instance, about giving rude remarks about something that makes a person happy. Ever heard the news about a girl purchasing a Charles & Keith bag stating that it was her first luxury bag? It was a gift from his dad and she was so happy. But people made fun of her because Charles & Keith is not a luxury brand. Someone even said, "Who's gonna tell her?" with a cry-laughing emoji. See how rude that is. If a person is happy about something, as long as they are not hurting anyone in doing so, just shut your mouth, keep those rude remarks to yourself and let them be happy. It's not like giving such remarks will make your life any better and if doing so will you happy then you got some serious problem.

Another one is saying "Thank you." Bought something in a store? Say thank you! A classmate lent you a pen? Say thank you! Someone hold the door for you? Say thank you and do the same when a chance passed by. It's the same with saying "Please", "I'm sorry", and "Excuse me". It's the little things that we do that actually make up most of our days here on Earth and saying such words can probably lift someone's spirits up.

“I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” — Etienne de Grellet

We only live once and we will never be here again. Be kind, okay?

2. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Washing your hands after going to the restroom.

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Strangers don't owe you anything, so don't act entitled.
    2. Don't comment on strangers' appearance, weight, the way they talk, eat, whatever.
    3. Never talk behind people's back.
    4. Don't spread rumors.
    5. Don't be judgemental.
    6. Have compassion for others.
    7. Be kind to yourself (don't let others use you just to people-please).

4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This

Also this

Last thing please take care of your kid. The amount of times I've had to save a child from drowning or falling from a high place is ridiculous.

orematcha and warspite like this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    uh huh~ this cat been learn such thing since kitten so kinda weird when see otherwise~

on formal, serious or semi serious TPO heck for meeting anyone first time~ be respectful toward other first before you asking to be respected~ especially if you on business stuff~ basic diplomacy~ this cat seen enuf idiot who act like children only asking without ever give other what they want other give them, turn away for this small stuff~ oh especially if you deal with Asian cuz face value is big thing here~ beside it give weight on your matter or personality~
    oh this cat not mean be stiff prom and proper all the time, there certain way on how act, speech, gesture and stuff that can be perceived as respectful despite not really prim and proper~ socialize more to get the hint~
    wut? society is like that~ unless you wanna become hermit deal with it~

smile~ your grumpy face make your face uglier~ unless you are cat or pet cuz it their privilege~
    19668.png

Blossom_Honey, Eat_Angst and warspite like this.
  6. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep your seat clean and pick up your rubbish when using public transport. It's so gross when you have to resign yourself to sit on a gross seat when it's the only one available. Cans stuffed into the sides, crumbs on the seat, and bottles rolling around on the floor and spilling whatever drink was in there makes for a terrible experience to bear.

And don't get me started on people who put their muddy shoes on the seat.

DarcyNight, TXHY, Eat_Angst and 2 others like this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    who are you?! this cat mom?

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  8. warspite

Reading List:
    Link
    OH MY, THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE! But seriously, parents need to take care of their children properly. Not only by taking care of them physically but also mentally/psychologically and any -ly that is necessary. Parents/guardians and the environment the child lived with/in are crucial in their development. Raising a kid is no joke and I hope that they did some critical thinking before starting a family.

9. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't throw things out of your car windows. Not even tissues or other biodegradable trash. It can wait till you stop the car and find a proper trash can.
    Especially not cigarette butts. That's how fires start.

10. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much this.
    One of my mothers' teachings when I was growing up was "be polite to others, it costs you nothing". And so, I try to be as polite as I possibly can. Of course, one of the lessons I learned during my life (the hard way), was to "politely" tell someone to "f*** off" when they deserve it! :blobrofl:

DarcyNight, IceLight303 and warspite like this.
  11. warspite

Reading List:
    Link
    THIS! I'm not forcing anyone but if you can, smile smile smile more! I SWEAR, SMILING HAS IMPORTANT BENEFITS. It sets the mood! It lifts someone's spirits up! It's nice to look at! You will be more pleasing to other people's eyes making them act friendly/kind towards you! Whenever I go outside and saw my neighbors or people I'm familiar with, I always greet them with a smile! We wear face masks but it is evident in the eyesss. When I also buy stuff, ask for stuffs, or talk with strangers, there's always the smile!!

Blossom_Honey and Eat_Angst like this.
  12. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    When someone is being bullied or taken advantage of, tell them immediately.
    As a kid I used to be bullied a lot and whenever my belongings were left alone the bullies would throw them away or distribute it among their friend.
    For example, they would open my purse and throw all the contents into the bin.
    They would tear the card board container of my pencils and markers and distribute the pencils to their friends from higher grades etc.
    I'd even have my books stolen and the people in the class wouldn't interfere or keep watch even when I asked them to keep watch. Everyone knew who did it and which belonged to whom. But no one ever cared or told me. It's very disgusting behavior

I don't smile much cause my face is a resting b but I do smile at shop keepers (specifically old ones) or atleast I try to.. sometimes we make small talk haha

Grandpa_World and warspite like this.
  13. warspite

Reading List:
    Link
    YES, ABSOLUTELY! People, be more considerate, okay? It's not like you're the only inhabitant of this crumbling world of ours. Also, CLEAN AS YOU GO! For example, in a restaurant or any place where you eat, clean the table before you go! I know that there are employees who will work on that but pleaseeee arrange the plates, the glasses, the spoons and forks at the least.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    IceLight303 likes this.
  14. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    Also put wrappers etc in your bag or pocket when there is no bin in sight

15. warspite

Reading List:
    Link
    YOU KNOW WHAT. I'm in a public transportation and then there is this pretty girl that I'm looking at. I really find her attractive. She was eating food in a cup and when she was done, she threw the cup and spoon in the window while the transportation was moving. A turn-off.

Blossom_Honey and Eat_Angst like this.
  16. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's pretty basic things that people ignore in my country these days:
    1. throw trash in the trash can.
    2. if this is a public area, not your home, don't expect people to follow your personal wants.
    3. don't take everything personally, and demand flexibility or preferential treatment. You boss has a boss, and their bosses has a boss. You're not the only one under pressure.
    4. don't be angry at people asking things when they are earnestly learning to do something, it doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they want to do better. Being easily annoyed doesn't help anyone.
    5. reflect before you blame others.

17. warspite

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry that you have to go through that. How can people be this bad?? I can't imagine how many people out there are experiencing such cruelty. If you saw someone experiencing such a thing, help them! Don't ignore or neglect them. We are as guilty as those who've hurt them when we remain silent. You don't how many people died because of silence and how many lives we can save when we speak up.

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish more people were aware of how clean/dirty their hands are before touching things or worse, people.

If you were eating meat at a barbecue with your hands, then your hands are dirty... Sure, no problem. You're eating, that's normal... BUT DON'T TOUCH MY JACKET WITH THESE STUPID DIRTY HANDS!!!

Seriously, just be conscious of it better. There's nothing wrong with dirtying your hands with food while eating, just make sure you clean your hands up before touching me. It's not that hard.

Oh, and don't put the book I lent you on top of a table where we were eating oily food until a few minutes ago... The table is dirty! Be careful with my book!

... So yeah, basic cleanliness manners in eating environments, I guess. It's normal to eat some things with hands, so it's normal to get your hands dirty... Just remember that. Your hands are dirty. Go clean them before touching others or their things.

19. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing in particular, I just wish people weren’t rude for no reason

20. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To show respect to get respect. People expect to be treated with respect but can't realize how respect have to come from somewhere and that somewhere is you.

Just logic reasoning, I can't understand how some can't have such a common sense thing to have a proper rational conclusion before reacting, through words or their action.

ludagad likes this.