Discussion Were you an honor student?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jan 28, 2023.

?

good at all subjects or superb at one?

1. jack of all trades of course!

47.8%
  2. heh, being an expert is better

21.7%
  3. unopinionated potato

32.6%
  4. *noms skullie*

15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it difficult to become one?
    Did you enjoy it?
    Is it meh?
    What sort of things do you do that average students don't do? Go to contests and such, studying longer, spending more time on projects etc etc.

You get sent back to your younger version after living a fulfilling life, would you want to become an honor student?

(QwQ) it just felt like a few of my new-ish friends are doing well in school so it made me curious...

edit 1: *stormy is contemplating life and grammar*

orematcha, mir, DarcyNight and 5 others like this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was an honors student from elementary to high school, it was quite easy actually cuz most elementary/HS test deals with what you hear in class. Enjoy while you can cuz college is insane and you'll be questioning wether you're really stupid.

3. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    In college, a lot of questions felt like an evolved version of the classroom examples... especially problem solvings ones. At least, that was how it was in my major.

4. Soullight

Soullight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was an honor student in elementary since I was above average in the school, but now since I go to a smart people high school, I’m back down in the middle.
    I guess I’m really lazy so I don’t study if I don’t have to. I just need to keep my grades up.
    I think most honor students are basically like average students, we just learned faster then average, or worked hard to get to where we are.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was an honorary student. :blobReach:

mir likes this.
  6. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty average at my school. :meowcoffee:

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  7. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehm, I guess I’d say so. To be honest, as an honor student with friends that are honor students, I don’t really feel all that smart when with them. :blobsweat_2:
    It wasn’t really that difficult at first (elementary and middle school), I guess because of talent? It’s been rather rough in high school. I can get stuff done, but I’m a huge procrastinator and I can barely start a project and even when I do I never finish it until the perfectionist in me is satisfied enough. I have a teacher that doesn’t accept late work so you can imagine how troublesome it’s been lately. I’m working on it. :notlikeblob:
    For stuff I do, uh… it’s usually just wake up (5-6am), go to school, get home, laze and do stuff, and then sleep. Sometimes when feeling productive or inspired I’ll work on an assignment or papers that aren’t due yet but soon. Other times I’ll have an assignment due the next morning so I either finish it all that night or hold an all-nighter. But, In most cases, it’s usually what I’m doing right now. Lazing in bed either watching videos, reading books, or on NUF. :blobimfine: I know I sound lazy, but hey! I learn enough just from paying attention in classes, okay? :blobcheeky:
    Contests… umm~ I guess so. In middle school I participated in NHD and I’m also doing that in high school. When we made it to state we would spend the night at a hotel in the place the competition was being held. My first experience at a hotel was because of NHD hahaha I remember my friend buying pizza rolls and forgetting about plates so we used the box as a plate and we were talking about whether this is how adults and college students live. :blobxd: I also remember my first year in mock trial. Haha it was so nerve wracking~ we were so close to making it but we were one point off!! Sometimes I still think like, “ahh! If only I wasn’t so nervous!” or “Oh my god if only I didn’t talk so fast!!” But oh well, what’s happened happened. Plus, it was a really fun and interesting experience being a lawyer. :blobshh: But honor student contests wise, I think that’s it. I’ve participated in marching/jazz band and speech as well, but that’s not really a honor student thing.
    Would I have wanted to be an honor student if I went back in time? Well, I still am so I don’t know if I can answer that, but I think I would. I really like studying. I like learning and I’m a bit of a huge sucker for praise and admiration :blob_blush: (I’m an attention seeker). Plus, the experiences and my friends are something I really love and enjoy. I might not stay an honor student, I might in fact regret and sometimes even now hate it, but I do love the experiences and my peers. :meowpuffymelt:

Grandpa_World likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The concept of honor student didn't really exist over here.

But if you're asking about good grades, I did have them for most of my school life. In some subjects I was better than in others, but overall, I was pretty good at almost everything (and I was average at my worst subjects, so it was fine).

If you're asking about having trouble at school... I got suspended twice per year 5-6 years in a row, so not really. I didn't get in trouble with regularity, but I wasn't good at problem-solving or handling bullies, so... I usually endured bullying for a few months, exploded, then got into a fight which led me to be suspended.

This happened from the late years of elementary all the way to the end of middle school (I'm unsure if the last year of middle school got me suspended though)... In High School I learned better ways of handling my problems though, so this stopped happening~

9. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, not really lol.

I really didn't care about studying or being on top before, (I'm not a straight honor student but i did experience being one a few times)

Honestly, the concept of studying didn't exist to the past me, study before the exams? I thought that was a thing people only do in televisions so guess my surprise when i got told people actually study after they head home.. it's like culture shock, and for some reason my grades wasn't bad, they were pretty average and excell in 1-3 subjects.

Don't asked me how i made it before lol, and my friends were the smart types too, i just get dragged along to their studies or the devotions to finish their homeworks or project, if it wasn't for that i would do nothing fr. homeworks? They're schoolworks to me, I'll only do them on school.

That was the past lol, life isn't so easy now, can't make myself pass with flying colours anymore QAQ.

10. warspite

warspite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! I'm an honor student! In my twelve years of studying (primary to secondary education), I've been an honor student for 9 times out of those 12.

Did I enjoy it?
    Well, yes, absolutely! I mean, getting and collecting those medals is sure fun.

Is it meh?
    It's sometimes a 'meh' because being an honor student became a normal thing for me. It's not something that we should celebrate and I'm expected to be one, always. BUT it never put great pressure on me because I know that I'm good at whatever I'm doing and that I won't die and it was not a tragedy if I failed to be an honor student lol.

What sort of things do you do that average students don't do?
    Actually, I'm your average honor student. I don't join contests and such. I'm not that social nor am I popular. I also don't study longer. I don't study at home. I just listen to the teacher in class, get their lessons inside my head and do my assignments and projects properly. I think what I do that other students don't is that I slightly pay more attention in school, that's all! BUT I think it also has something to do with the way we are raised as a child. If people were exposed to educational things at an early age, maybe the disposition to study/learn will be there! As for me, I'm a well-behaved kid, never causing problems! I don't play that much outside as we always move from one place to another so what I do most of the time is reading and learning! I guess it's my proclivity for learning/studying that makes me an honor student or good in school.

You get sent back to your younger version after living a fulfilling life, would you want to become an honor student?
    GOSH, WHY WAS I SENT BACK???? I'VE ALREADY LIVED A FULFILLING LIFE AND YOU WANT ME TO START ALL OVER AGAIN????? But seriously, I'd definitely study more and live another possibility (a new path) that I wasn't able to embrace in that previous fulfilling life.

Everything aside, I regret that I didn't take studying too seriously. The big universities in my country have this certain grade qualification to pass. I was able to meet it but there are a lot of people whose school performance is much more outstanding than mine so the university will ofc choose the cream of the crop. Well, it is what it is. If I were you, I'll take studying seriously! Not that you have to be in your books 24/7 but just take it seriously. Your grades matter so much because that's what universities and companies are looking for. Well, companies don't really look at your grades but having great academic credentials will raise the possibility of getting hired. Right now, I failed to be a dean's lister lol. It's normal to fail especially in college because of sh*ts real here. Though my grades are still fine, they're mostly 1.00 except for accounting lmao. ALSO, surround yourself with productive people and if not productive, those with good influence! Best of luck to you!!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  11. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I was top of the class whole high school (all 4 quarters of a school year. Consistently throughout elementary too. it did kinda felt meh sometimes. i mean, it felt like it doesn't matter if i get it or not, just happened that i got it. i only study when i feel like there is some things I'm missing and i hate projects with a passion so i get them done at least up to a passing level..

My first coffee was because of a contest too, they don't alow coffee at home saying it would stunt my growth hehe.
    One time, i pranked my parents, I said i failed one class coz i didn't do a project, they were so shocked and i got scolded bad for the joke hahah

10/10 would do again

that feeling tho when you say a certain joke but some people didn't understand what's amusing about it coz it's a bit of a joke that needed some background knowlegde... tragic hahaha

12. warspite

warspite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I told my mom once that I'm not an honor student anymore, she didn't believe it lol.

13. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    "Honor student" isn't really a concept that exists here in England. However, the main classes are separated into several "sets" based on the ability of the students, so the students who are good at English learn English together and the students who are bad at English learn English together, the students who are good at maths learn maths together and the students who are bad at maths learn maths together, and so on.

I was in the top set for all subjects throughout all of secondary school (equivalent to 6th grade to sophomore year for Americans) and sixth form (equivalent to junior and senior year for Americans) and was easily the overall top student of my year group throughout secondary school (sixth form was more competitive, but I was still one of the top students).

I didn't really do any exceptionally hard work or extra-curricular stuff to achieve it, I just listened in class and did the homework like any normal student is expected to do. I also occasionally didn't do the homework, like most normal students, but it didn't really matter because our grades are almost all taken from exams at the end of the final year. The most studying I ever really did was cramming in the weeks before the exams.

I didn't have a very good social life, but it's not like that was a result of me being nerdy or spending too much time studying, so in terms of enjoying my childhood experience, it probably was an overall positive, giving me something to be proud of.

The main problem is that with academics coming so easily to me effortlessly for so long, I had no experience with studying or maintaining a good work ethic and university hit me like a wall of bricks lmao

If I were to go back in time, I'd probably put more effort into maintaining a disciplined routine for that kind of thing to prepare myself for later life.

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there top grade student, but honor students kinda vague concept for this cat tbh~ let this cat explains what this cat experience during school time~
    have you ever read LN where the so called Honor Student give greet to new student? as this cat know that position is given to Student Council President on this cat place~ good student who participate more so who able win on, Olympiad Science contest or Sport Contest or Art Contest on Regional, National, or International is the role model for other students~ Top Grade student exist but on practical sense they just a ranking with nice local prize but thats it~ sometimes the honor student not top grade student~ so on general imo honor student is those who able to participate and win certain level of contest be it science, sport or art or on certain position of reputable organization acknowledge by school on general such as red cross for teen~
    hence this cat never been .... wait only once on middle school astronomy Olympiad regional level~ it kinda fun~
    as for enter top grade student
    19665.png
    been there done that similar to student council body, classroom student council ( class rep and stuff from 5th grade till high school to point this cat flatly refuse to join such thing again on college cuz this cat sick of it)~
    so yeah this cat is bragging been honor student once
    hehehe kyubei.png
    it kinda pain in da butt, tiresome and annoying but yeah kinda fun experience to join such thing~ if this cat rewind time to those time, will do it again with more "baam" stuff~

Grandpa_World and AliceShiki like this.
  15. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    Still am, baby! :cookie:

The only time I really mess up my grades is if I just didn’t have enough time to really study. However, I always focus on overall comprehension before I concern myself with grades.

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I can totally relate to that! I suffered from that in uni too! I went from being a pretty good student at school to being one of the worst ones in uni! >.<

Though well, a good part of that was my ADHD, which I wasn't aware of at the time... I wish I had gotten medication when I was much younger. Would have made my life a lot easier.

Diametric likes this.
  17. Tech is life

Tech is life [Disinterested] [Sleepy] [Blithe]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yh...i WAS till previous year.. nearly 100%score...man everybody used to look at me in awe...those were the best days...

This year i am frizzling here and there.....i just get average grades now in highschool idk why???...

Being honour student is quite fun...i like being one....
    But what should I do to get back being one?

18. murderofher

murderofher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    woahh the last time I got all As was back in fourth grade. then it started going downhill once i moved to a stricter school. idk at least my high school grades are better than middle school
    i

19. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was an honor student in highschool and graduated top of my class during college. It was fine, I didn't try as much as my other classmates(something I realized after I learned how they study, someone literally only gets 3 hour sleep before exams). I enjoy having good grades only because I have a reward from my parents, although they're not that strict but I like money so I just did it. Also in my school, you can advance your exams so if you finish it before school year ends, the rest of the year becomes your free time, that means you don't need to go to class, I had at most 6 months of free time during my senior year
    It's not really a choice whether to be a honor student, it's just something that happens for getting good grades.

It was easier in college, people are less competitive for me. The only thing I can say is different from others would be me giving speeches and organizing school events.
    I also had to participate once in a competition related to my course as my school's representative but that was after I won competing with other students.

I was always encouraged by my father that I don't need to have high grades but I need to learn and that's what I did. It won't matter when you get a job but your knowledge will. Just because your classmates gets higher grades doesn't mean you're not learning or not trying your best.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I was student body President. It was awesome. It was difficult keeping the grades up, but it was interesting experience.

Lovelybutter likes this.