Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Silver Book

Silver Book Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t feel like the leveling system tag would work either because some systems don’t level up the protagonist or their martial arts any more than a protagonist without a system would.
    The systems just seem to be there to mark progress, speed up progress or even add another way to progress.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
  2. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about adding BG setting , BL setting? (Idk proper naming tag/genre for this)
    This tag is similar to villainess noble girl tag troupe
    This can be used in quick transmigration where mc hop to bl/bg novel/story, reincarnation in bg/bl novel, mc realizing they are a cannon fodder in bg/bl novel after they died (second chance)
    Both of this tag can be used in romance, yuri & yaoi genre , female and male main character

shounen ai subplot is like romantic subplot.. where main chara + love interest in love but not the main focus of the story not the background story setting (for example: no.6 novel)

BL setting - where the setting is in a BL novel/ world / story/webtoon
    There are a lot of examples
    - Female mc in BL world / novel / quick transmigration https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/60866/
    - Male mc in bl world / novel / quick transmigration
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/transmigrated-as-the-ex-of-the-blind-villain/

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/transmigrated-into-a-heartthrob-novel-and-went-ooc/

And many other

BG setting - similar to BL setting but BG
    - BG / harem setting with male mc
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-became-the-older-brother-of-the-heroine-in-an-abusive-novel/

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/devil-venerable-also-wants-to-know/

- bg setting with female mc
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-dont-mind-you-being-ugly-and-blind/

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-heroine-in-the-novel-died/

https://www.novelupdates.com/series...abusive-novel-and-have-a-he-with-the-villain/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  3. Scholar Monarch

Scholar Monarch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was browsing for similar novel for "Seeking the Flying Sword Path" and found the [sword wielder] tag. I know the tag self explanatory but it is so chunni that it hurts my soul. Please fix it to something more normal.

4. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    'normal' such as?

5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Is sword user any better? Swordsman?

6. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to request two new tags that have to do with settings

Ger

It's a setting were there are a separate gender that are similar men who can give birth and are denoted by a red dot on their body.

Why: At the moment you have to look through mpreg tagged novels which doesn't narrow it down at all. It's a different world setting.

Guide/sentinel

This is a setting where there are sentinels that use mental abilities to fight but need the help of guides to calm their mind and avoid going crazy/exploding

Why: There isn't a way to find these novels yet. No other tags help narrow it down to help find these novels.

Would this be possible?

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Neither of those seem intuitive in the slightest by name, so I don't think they're good tags.

8. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any ideas to make the tags more intuitive? I thought get would be good because it's the name of the gender. As for the guide/Sentinel I thought each of them being used as the tag might lead to confusion. If guide was used for the tag, people could think of guides through dungeons, forests even tour guides. Same for using sentinels as the tag.

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I sadly have no ideas. I never read any novels with these specific settings, so I dunno much about them other than what you just said.

To me, "Ger" means nothing, and both "Guide" and "Sentinel" feel like normal English words that won't have the specific meaning of the tag, which would most likely lead to the tag being misused a lot.

If anything, I'd say Ger is probably the better one of the two. It's not intuitive at all, so I don't like it, but at the same time, it would probably only be used on the novels that specifically fit the setting, as it is a specific word with its specific meaning that only the people who already know about it would bother with using, so it shouldn't lead to people mistagging novels.

Guide/Sentinel feels like it would lead to lots of mistagging though. It needs a better word IMO.

10. Brooom

Brooom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it seems like it really depends if you already know what it means because I wouldn't get confused at all and know what the story will be about.

In my opinion, I don't think another tag is really possible for Guide/Sentinel, as it specifies a particular setting. (It's something like omegaverse but not quite, see Sentinel AU). The combination of these two words together should be enough to make people understand what the story will be about, I think. There are quite a few stories that contain this setting, so it would be helpful to have this tag.

I think Ger is a bit more unknown, but if you know what it means then you won't be confused by it, and I don't think it has another meaning, as far as I know. You could try to find stories with this setting by using the mpreg tag, but not all stories with this kind of setting contain mpreg and are therefore not tagged as such.

At the moment I don't think it's possible to find stories with this specific setting in the series finder unless it is mentioned in the title, while there are quite a lot of stories with this setting. If there is a tag for omegaverse, why not for these two settings? But this is just my opinion on this :blobsweat:

Cyltea likes this.
  11. elideli

elideli keepin' an eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    To add onto this, I've seen Guide/Sentinel novels called Guideverse or Sentinelverse, which is a little more specific to the setting than just Guide/Sentinel.

As for the ger tag, it has a whole meaning on it's own and its not very descriptive unless you already know what it is, but something like 'ger/third gender' would be a way to clarify what it essentially means.

Cyltea likes this.
  12. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    Guideverse and sentinelverse sound better. I prefer guideverse. These are two tags that really only have to do with world setting. Done right they won't be missed as you would only use them if you know them.

There are some lists that form them. Other then that sometimes you find them because they have guide or get in the title. Most often novels with these setting need people to randomly click on them and add them to a list/tell people about them as there is no way to search for them.

I hope these get approved.

Cyltea likes this.
  13. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guideverse would be the better choice, because in some novels sentinels are called "espers".
    Either way, this tag is needed in some shape or form.

Nom de Plume, IceLight303 and Cyltea like this.
  14. Cyltea

Cyltea New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh oh, I've tried asking for this before:

15. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    So have I, both guide and ger. I used the request tag option. I'm hoping this gets better results, or at least an explanation as to why not.

Cyltea likes this.
  16. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought everyone decided on Guideverse just a few pages ago… My vote is for this version as well per my previous post. In short, it best follows the format of the Omegaverse tag and I love consistency.

Some additional reasons (beyond what I mentioned in the past) is that Guides vs Omegas have a greater distinction between the two universes and are often at the center of the conflict, whether it’s romantic or cultural.
    Alphas and Sentinals on the other hand have similar behaviors, weaknesses, personality defects, place in society, etc. At most Sentinals may have special powers, but so can Alphas (especially if it’s a setting with so called ‘dominant’ alphas who have been clearly inspired by the Guideverse). It doesn’t help that Sentinels without guides are just an ESPer setting.

Potential Definition for Guideverse:
    Guideverse is a setting with ‘Sentinels’ and ‘Guides’. Sentinels are people that have superhuman strength and abilities (ESP) at great price: spiritual instability, irritability, and overexertion bringing their powers completely of their control causing indiscriminate destruction. The ‘Guide’ is a relatively normal human, but they have the ability to sooth and calm ESPers. This process is often sexual in nature.

—————

Anyway I came to talk about another tag. The Beastkin tag has no definition so I came to make an initial suggestion as well as try to hammer out what makes it unique from other similar tags.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv​
    Beastkin may be more animal than human, but their tribe inherits characteristics of both races. They may have multiple forms (human/animal/hybrid) and their own distinct culture separate from humans. This tag should not be used in conjunction with the Werebeast tag.

Not to be confused with the Animal Characteristics tag, although both can be used if main characters have animal features even when they are in ‘Human Form’.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

My primary thought behind the above description is that the Animal Characteristics tag covers individuals with animal features, so the Beastkin tag should be distinctly referring to a group of creatures (ie an entire race). However, I am less confident of what specifically defines Beastkin as a race.

Werebeasts are easy even if I haven’t read the tag description recently. They have very specific traits as a well known classical monster type.
    The main characteristic of Lycans and other similar creatures are a human race that can transform into an animal, rather than having permanent animal ears or something, usually due to being transformed by an infectious illness / curse. There are exceptions, which is why I don’t mind having the Animal Characteristics and Transformation Ability tags alongside the various animal race tags. Ex: A werecat that always has its ears showing due to some kind of defect.

I am most hesitant on how vague the description should be and whether it should specifically exclude certain possibilities due to overlap with similar races. Beastkin do not always have the ability transform into an animal form. Some fantasy settings directly make them demihumans with animal ears. Races with animal shapes also include Beastmen or animals that have cultivated a human shape to become a Spirit or Demon. JP Beastkin could be a race with animal characteristics such as nekomimi, but it could also be something that can transform such as kitsune. Don’t some apocolypse and dungeon settings also have Beastkin? Ex: human inspired ESP inherits the strength of a leopard along with its eyes, ears, and sometimes even its spots.

The Beastmen race is not hard to define even if I am not certain if its race should be categorized together under Beastkin. It’s also hard to argue that they should be specifically excluded. My reasons:
    First, what are Beastmen? They are usually a prehistoric version of humankind that worshiped the ‘Beast God’. ‘Males’ of the race were born with with a beast form. It has become rather popular in BL settings to set the ‘Females’ as weak single-form males, but I am reasonably sure I’ve seen multiple Transported into Another World and QT novels with human females who have passed into this setting. The main point for this race is still that the ‘males’ can transform into beasts rather than potential mpreg (unless it’s also BL). I’ve also read stories with interstellar beastmen, so they aren’t even necessarily limited to the prehistoric setting.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    AliceShiki, LaDyViL and elideli like this.
  17. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Green light from me. Additionally, I prefer guideverse than sentinelverse or sentinel/guideverse.

AliceShiki and Nom de Plume like this.
  18. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    The definition OK? I just kind of threw it together. I can find a random novel to submit it to.

19. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. The tag covers the world setting. The definition you included is defining the sentinels and the guides. Tag definition should define the tag and gives a rough explanation of when and what should be using the tag.

AliceShiki and Nom de Plume like this.
  20. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Submitted per suggestion

AliceShiki likes this.