Legendary Moonlight Sculptor Question

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by CaptainToast, Oct 14, 2016.

1. CaptainToast

CaptainToast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, not even going into how shit the later novels are compared to the first 20, and how I really want to drop it, but I can't because I'm so far in... I have a question that's been bugging me.

First of all. It's stated he gets Energy of the moment by giving people joy from sculpting. He gets like 1-3 from giving out little sculptures. Why doesn't this take into account the hundreds of MILLIONS of people who gain joy from his huge statues. It doesn't make any sense to me.

2. Lesbian Unicorn

Lesbian Unicorn [Deamon Prince] [Absolute Xenophobe]

Reading List:
    Link
    I never read the legendary moonlight sculptor. But i don't think that a huge statue obstructing peoples view would bring much joy

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. AutomaticAutumn

AutomaticAutumn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it's that anything made prior to obtaining the skill doesn't count towards getting moments of time. And any sculptures made afterword have to be made for a single individual or group in mind for it to count toward any significant increase in moments. And/or the amount to be gained from any one sculpture is limited to a small amount of moments.

4. Vrinshael

Vrinshael 【Chaotic】【Fetishist】

Reading List:
    Link
    The sculptures give buffs to the players, hence the joy.

CaptainToast likes this.
  5. koijido

koijido Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing that bothered me was that noone used stone skin aside from when they first learned it.

6. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it (previous sculptures) got calculated and added to his amount, when he gained the skill, but for any sculpture he makes, he has to be around to collect the smiles. So maybe he only collects on happy moments within view.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  7. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck that man. I wish we had giant monolithic statues all around. I'm personally of the opinion that all buildings should be giant people, like in Gotham City. The world would be a better place if everywhere you looked there was art. That and his sculptures give the viewers buffs, can you imagine quite literally feeling better/stronger after viewing something?

That said, I dropped LMS after the first 10 volumes and have no plans on ever going back. I'm not sure that I would recommend it to anyone else out there either. The entire novel felt like one giant filler arc except for the very beginning.

Read Emperor of Solo Play instead if you're looking for good VR.

8. Mister Div

Mister Div ? ¿ Founder of The Anti loli Alliance!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    and here i was about to start re reading it again

9. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    you have low tolerance, eh? Only saw 10 volumes...well its not a type of novel thats for everyone one. It does get a bit monotonous at times...specifically when he is grinding.

10. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    It just felt like there was very little progress or character development. He was just going off and doing his thing, felt episodic and interchangeable as opposed to progressive. I dunno, that's just me. I think any novel that runs as long as LMS has is going to run into those issues.

I dropped it.. around when he was about to cross the ocean via boat. I think he was a skeleton at that point. I don't really remember.

11. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    actually yeah, it was supposed to be episodic? I mean its a game, how else would you really write a novel where the only main objective is simply to become an emperor or whatever? But yes, novels which are that long tend to run into problems. Any Chinese novel, for example, has a habit of repetitiveness due to how long it gets. Though LMS has never actually been one that has had any major...hm, how do i say...conflict. Its a literal virtual world where you are free to do as you please. It has quests that can affect the world but there is no, you know, main way to conquer the game, no set storyline other than the setting or history of the world.

So thats why i personally just never gave much thought to the progress. It being episodic is actually a nice change for me. As for character developement...yeah, there isnt much. The only characters that get some are the MC, Seoyoon(main heroine), and maybe his sister...thats mainly it, since there is no reason for the characters to grow or mature too much. Oddly, though, him doing his own things, being an adventurer, actually has some purpose. It makes him very famous and influential. Eligible to complete quests that normal users wouldnt be able to even recieve.

Hm, well, i wont rant anymore. What was that other novel you mentioned? Emperor of solo play? might check that one out later.

wildthorn, Takumi168 and CountryMage like this.
  12. Faust

Faust NUF Silent Ninham

Reading List:
    Link
    never forget the 500 comedic relief (geomchi).. well at least original geomchi till 5 is getting development in recent chap

Takumi168 and Cupcake Ninja like this.
  13. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    ....why try to find a reason for every small thing? just enjoy reading the novel.........do you need to find a scientific reason why magic exist in the novels? that is just dumb, i say LMS at least is better than 90% of novel out there, especialy if compared with CN or JP, and compared to other KR novel there isn't much drama or tragedy, betrayal so one more reason to read it....

wildthorn likes this.
  14. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get why you would drop this novel before vol 20.... if u drop it around 40 its more understandable.....

U should read through up to vol 20... there are collosal wars happening that have one of the most heart pounding setup.... these kind of writing are rarely seen in web novels imo.

The reason why it won't work on volume 40+, weed became godlike afterwards, so the wars are not as gritty as the first ones.

15. Knightlight

Knightlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you droped it at the last decent ark, because necromancy was the bomb that arc XD

16. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel just felt pointless. He never really had a goal aside from the next raid, or quest or whatever. I probably lost interest in it for the same reason I tend to lose interest in actual MMOs after a couple months. There's only so much grinding I can take before it just gets repetitive and boring.

If you compare this to something like Emperor of Solo Play or Rebirth of the Thief, at least those two novels have the vengeance aspect outside the game world to give the novels a feeling of overall progression/something the MC is working towards. Granted, both of these novels are still very early in their translations so I haven't quite burnt out on them the same way I did on LMS. But I have to say, as far as VR novels go, EoSP is probably my favorite that I'm reading right now.

I guess it takes more than epic battles and loot to keep me interested in a novel, there's gotta be that Demon King or imperative end goal to keep me interested.

17. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, no matter what you're probably missing a lot of what it actually going on with stats and how stuff is spent cause its TRANSLATED. Nothing is 100% correct and the terms can be very different. Gotta wait for the almighty A.I. that will one rule all of mankind's dreams and be able to translate across all languages perfectly.

18. Faust

Faust NUF Silent Ninham

Reading List:
    Link
    he get vengance tho in later chapter... hermes guild war

19. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is... is this true? I'm on volume 3 and really enjoying it and you just made me very sad :(

20. craBebe

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sure there's tons of stuff that happened, obviously with 45 volumes worth of stuff he did a lot of things, I just lost interest.