Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers,
    Hope you're all doing fine =) we'll have a new chapter tomorrow :love:
    Thank you for your patience and support

2. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy that you're back. How is your mother's health?

3. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice to see you back. I hope that both you and your mother are doing well:love:

4. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 20

-Ok, Kevin, I think I got what you mean… -Belle sighed. She was terrified about Daniel finding out she wasn't in her room yet and of what he could do to the men who had helped her act behind his back. She just wanted to go, but Kevin, aka Rat, didn't seem to care about her hurry. -You have my word, I'll do my part. But for that, I need you to do yours.

-It will be done, my dear new friend, you just need to say when. Like I said, the best day is on Christmas… His bodyguards will all be there, most of the knights will be there... -Kevin reclined in his chair. -I'm telling you, it's either today, or on your party's day, or on Christmas night. You won't have this corridor as empty as today often, trust me.

Belle sighed again. She didn't know if she could trust this boy, and certainly didn't want to have to wait till Christmas to send Ryan the message.

-I was planning to do it a few days after my party. -She pressed her lips. Her plan was to send the times and dates of the investor's departure as soon as it happened, so the FBI could quickly triangulate their location and catch Daniel off guard. They had several names already, with landing and departure times, but her party would provide something new: famous people's names. She guessed those would be easier to track. -Can't we just create a distraction and…

-I won't risk getting caught. -Kevin frowned. -That corridor must be empty and I need to be away from here. Those are the only opportunities we'll have with those variables. Your money is worth nothing to me if he realizes I've helped you.

Belle nodded slightly, although she still didn't agree with him. She had a plan, and she would follow her own instincts. If there was an opportunity to get to this room before Christmas, she would do that.

-He's gonna kill you if he catches you, you know that, don't you? It's part of his vow to his followers: he won't ever be arrested. He says he'll either be victorious or killed. -The boy made a face. -What is in that message anyway? Are you sure you don't want my help writing it? Why don't you just give me the coordinates so I can transmit it directly to the FBI right now? You said you have his password… It would be a great opportunity to test it. If his moles find out about the message, it won't be easy for me to intercept their warning… You're risking a lot by encrypting it. What if the FBI can't get your cypher? What if they take too long and Daniel acts before they get our location?

-I'm sure they will get the cypher. And I'm sure Daniel won't. No machine will either. -Belle headed for the door. -Don't get me wrong, Kevin, but I prefer that you don't know every detail, for your own safety and mine. Could you, please, let me go now?

-No. I gave you a lot, you gave me nothing yet. I showed you how to send the message. I showed you how to get into that agent's account and post it directly in their system. I taught you every single thing you asked. -Kevin got up and leaned toward her, forcing her to lean back against the door. He was taller than her, although not much. When he put his hand beside her head to lean on the wall, she noticed the scars in his thin pale wrist. -Now, princess, tell me why I should believe that your plan will work. Why are you so sure that the FBI will be able to translate your code? And why wouldn't I be able to?

Belle hesitated. Kevin reached out and took a lock of her hair, then pulled it gently. When he brought it to his nose to sniff it and exhaled through his mouth she felt his damp stinky breath, like sewage, which indicated he either had a bad case of infection or a stomach problem. One of her aunt's boyfriend had that same bad breath due to terrible ulcers caused by stress and anxiety. Needless to say that being in a relationship with her aunt hadn't helped a bit with his condition, and neither did the countless sleeping pills.

-Are you gonna tell me or will I have to hold you here all night? -He pointed to a monitor to her right and shook his head. -He must really need that guy's help… Never saw him stay inside for so long after the hookers got in. But, I wonder how long he'll take it. He must be thinking about you, right now…

-I have a friend there, and we have a cipher only he knows about… -Belle pressed her lips. -That's all I'm gonna say, let me go.

-Please tell me that that friend of yours isn't Ryan Alexander Desmond. -Kevin rolled his eyes, then scoffed when she flinched. -’Cmon, are you really putting our lives in the hands of that crazy bastard? What if he gets himself killed in one of his random attempts of finding out where Daniel is? He's been poking some wasp nests lately…

-W-what do you mean? -Belle was out of words. -Does Daniel know? Does Daniel know about him?

That was all she needed to know. If Daniel had found out that Ryan was alive, that meant he was looking for him. And by what Kevin was telling her, Ryan wasn't hiding. On the contrary, he was exposing himself.

-Hell, no. If he finds out that pig is alive, he's gonna make me hunt him again. -The boy grimaced and looked away. -I've avoided getting directly involved with cops’ deaths till now, I'm not gonna risk getting perpetual for that asshole’s pride.

Belle couldn't hide the relief on her face. Kevin gave her a curious look, and she realized he didn't have a clue about their relationship.

-How did you know that I know Ryan?

She had to be sure. She wanted so much to ask him about how he was doing, to ask him to make sure Ryan would be safe, but she couldn't risk accidentally giving the hacker a new way of blackmailing her, especially if it would bring harm to the man she loved.

-Well, I know Trevor struggled a lot to maintain the websites up, the ones offering the rewards for anyone who could capture or kill him. I know Daniel only did that because he kidnapped you. Except he didn't, right? -Kevin backed away from her and eyed her up and down. -Did you two…? I saw his pictures, he's somewhat between Taylor Lautner and Henry Cavill, right? You like big men, uh?

Belle blushed and shook her head. Before she could find the words to deny it, the boy dismissed her with a wave of his hand.

-Whatever, I don't really give a shit for it. -He shrugged. -The point is that I don't want any cop's help, but I definitely don't want that guy's help. I think nothing could be more dangerous than a corrupt murderer with a badge.

-He's not corrupt! Or a murderer, for the record. He's…

-Oh, cut it. I know things about him that would make your blood freeze. -He rolled his eyes, then looked at her as if she was an innocent child. -Now, if you don't want to know the details, give me what I want: what exactly is your plan?

-You said you don't want to be in danger. The less you know, the better. I'm gonna send them information that will provide our location. I will encrypt it myself. Won't use your code. -When he frowned, she explained. -You said it yourself, that computer was here long before you, you can't be sure Daniel doesn't have a way of getting the original message if I type it directly. And he won't know the key song, so even if he tries to get it, it will be too late, they'll be here before he knows.

Kevin thought about it, then walked back to the keyboard.

-Alright. And you're sure you can guess his password, right? -He checked the cameras again. -Oh shit, he's coming up, get the fuck out of here. Now!

Belle turned and ran out as soon as the door opened. When she got out of the outer doorway, she didn't have to say a word. As soon as Corey spotted her red cheeks and the way she was trying to hold the hem of her dress up to walk faster, he immediately took her hand and started to run. The gate opened with a click and Jack straightened his back while pressing the button repeatedly, as if it could make the elevator come up faster.

-What happened? -Jack huffed, then turned to get in the elevator even before the door was completely open. -Did he set us up?

-No, Daniel is coming. -Belle tried to catch her breath while the elevator was coming down. They walked out and walked fast, since Belle was unable to run. -I think I'm gonna take my shoes off…

-No need to. Excuse me. -Corey muttered before bending down and taking her in his arms before she could pull away. -I'm sorry, but running up the stairs, either with those shoes or bare feet, would be like begging for an accident.

Belle tried to ignore the fact that she couldn't breathe while he practically jumped upstairs in a dead run, with her face getting hit by his shoulder repeatedly while he smothered her by squeezing her torso against his chest.

-What the hell? -Bob blurted as soon as he spotted them. He was standing by her apartment's door, his face wet with sweat. -He's almost here, and why the hell are you carrying her like this, do you have a death wish?

-She couldn't run! Are the girls inside? -Corey was panting. Bob nodded and opened up the door for Belle as soon as she had both feet on the floor. -Good, go and get into your nightwear. For all that matters, you've been sleeping soundly.

-Thank you, but we still need to talk. -Belle nodded and got in.

That night Daniel got into Belle's room, apparently with the intention to cuddle with her. When his arms wrapped around a larger body, though, he got outraged and would have beaten Mia, hadn't Belle shielded her friend's body with her own. A couple of minutes later, Corey got in, followed by Hanna, who was trembling from head to toes and crying silently.

After some heated rounds of offenses and threats, Daniel finally admitted he shouldn't be inside her room in the first place and went away, leaving Corey behind. Since he was already there, Belle decided to finally talk with him about the password.

-Ok, so, how many digits and what's the first number?

-Twenty-four digits. And it starts with six. It also ends with a bunch of zeros. -Corey sighted. -At least six. I think. I might be wrong about the zeros, I must admit.

-How did you see all that? -Belle was amazed. -Didn't you risk too much?

-He was drunk and high. I was impressed when the door opened. -Corey grinned and Mia chuckled at his boyish expression. -Whatever it means, it must be something important for him, cause he always gets it right on the first try, even when he's out of earth.

-Well, now I only have to think about all the possible religious numbers involving the number six and twenty four… -Belle sighed and looked up, trying to remember the classes. -I guess it would make sense: “The Lord bless you and keep you”. It sounds protective, right? Makes sense to have it as a password.

-It sure does! -Corey nodded vigorously, then let out a groan. -Sorry for not being of much help with that part… I'm glad I got it right, at least. I'll leave you to it. I could test it tomorrow when he takes me to send the message about that weirdo's departure.

-Vincenzo isn't a weirdo, I like him. -Belle glared at him before she could stop herself. Only when he frowned and tilted his head, though, she realized she had said more than too much. -Domenico. It's his name. I'm bad with names…

-And you guessed exactly his son’s name? -Corey scoffed. -You'd better not make that mistake in front of Daniel.

-He told me his son's name. -She took a deep breath and checked his face, to see if he was believing her. -While we danced, he said he had a son named Vincenzo…

-Cut the crap. Daniel might take the whole “money makes miracles” bullshit and believe that the guy is in his forties, but I knew he wasn't who he said he was right away. -He glared at her and shook his head. -In fact, I don't know if Daniel really believes that he is Domenico. For what I've heard it has something to do with that ring of his, he could be Justin Bieber and Daniel would still be willing to lick his boots for his support.

-What do you know about that ring? Do you know how he got it? -Belle was genuinely curious, in fact almost eager to know about it.

-He didn't explain, and by the way he looked at me when I asked about it, I guess I shouldn't do it again. But don't think I'll let it go, where do you know Vincenzo from? -He took her chin with his thumb and index finger, forcing her to look into his eyes, then immediately took his hand away. -His father and him, they both are dangerous and have a reputation. Counterterrorism and narcotics would want a piece of them, if they could get to them. We didn't have a face, but if you can confirm this is really him, I'm gonna have him hunt down, once I'm out of here. We'll take the whole family down if we can.

-Don't do that. -Belle murmured and looked away. -I don't know him, never met him before. But forget his face, he wants to help us get out of here safely.

-He probably wants your money. Or your status. -Corey insisted, pulling her chin again. -Ross, this isn't funny! He's the closest thing to a serial killer mixed with a godfather you're gonna find in this country. Don't go and trust in everyone that smiles at you.

They sat in silence, glaring at each other. Hanna was pretending to be asleep, lying with her back to them on the other side of the bed, but everyone knew she was still wide awake. Mia looked from Corey to Belle, sensing her tense state, and cleared her throat.

-I think Belle must be tired… -She got up and Corey absentmindedly did the same. -Goodnight.

-Right, there's someone I need to meet anyway… -Corey rubbed his eyes and Belle could tell he was tense, even more than he had been during the whole night. After a brief moment of hesitation, he huffed. -Isabelle… There's something I've been wanting to ask you…

She waited, but he wouldn't talk. He looked at Mia, then to Hanna's back, hinting that he didn't feel comfortable talking in front of them, so she got up too and followed him to the living room. Corey closed the door and lowered his voice to almost a whisper.

-Why didn't you ask about her yet? -He frowned. Belle tilted her head, uncertain of what he could be talking about. -Destiny. You're so empathetic when it's about other people, but you never cared to ask me about it. I just want to know, why? Is it just that you don't give a shit about me or you have something against her?

Belle was surprised by his words. He seemed to be hurt and angry at the same time.

-I… It's not that, Corey. I just thought it wasn't my place. -She creased her eyebrows. -I'm sorry, but when you didn't say anything, I assumed the worst… Your mood just got worse and worse after that day, so I thought…

-That's bullshit! You made things to get me angry at you, but I'm not stressed out. -He shook his head. -Anyway, answer my question. Do you trust her? Do you see her as your enemy?

Belle thought about it. Ryan trusted Diana to an extent, at least more than he would usually do with other people. Still, Diana hated her. Belle wouldn't go out of her way to harm the woman, but she couldn't say it would be the same the other way around.

-I don't know, Corey… I know you like her, but I can't trust her. -She shrugged and looked at the door, hoping he would let it go. -Did they bring her here? Is she alright?

-What if I told you she wants to help us? -Corey sighed. -She wants to talk to you, but she's afraid you'll pit Daniel against her.

-I would never do that. Tell her she doesn't need to worry, I mean her no harm. I just want her to stay away from Ryan and stop trying to flirt with him, that's all. -Belle blushed, then looked away, realizing that she was indeed still annoyed with the woman. -I think she should stop chasing taken men and focus her efforts on single ones instead. By the way, you too should be ashamed… It's not like you being held here would justify cheating. You're not an animal, you should be able to hold on for a few months at least.

Her disgusted glare only grew colder when he frowned.

-What the hell are you talking about? Really, I don't even know where to start! -Corey let his voice raise a bit, but immediately turned it into a heated whisper. It actually sounded like hissing. -Well, Miss “I'm good all the time and above judgment in all situations”, you got everything fucking wrong! She's not into Desmond, not one bit! They had a thing and it ended badly. She feels guilty, that's all, she cares about him and wants to compensate for the pain she caused him.

Belle scoffed and looked away, which only made Corey get even angrier.

-You don't know the whole story, you don't know one bit of it, and you know why? Because she trusted me enough to tell me the whole truth, ugly parts, nice parts. She exposed herself in a way Desmond will never do to you, even if you two last, which I honestly don't believe will happen, ‘cause that motherfucker would never allow himself to be happy that easily! -He kept staring at her, giving her a break for her to think about what he had just thrown at her. Belle took a step back and crossed her arms over her chest. It hurt, mostly because she knew it was true. She didn't know much about Ryan's past, and he'd never show signs that he ever would want to share it with her. -And, for your information, I'm not cheating on anyone. Destiny is the closest one I ever had to a girlfriend. Not that it's anyone's business, it certainly isn't yours!

Belle blushed, but decided to explain herself anyway.

-You said you had a sister in law… -She murmured, avoiding looking at him.

-My brother's wife. -He scoffed. -Dumbass.

-Oh. I'm sorry… -Belle pressed her lips and winced. -I'm sorry for assuming… I just… She was hitting on Ryan, I swear it's not jealousy, she sat on his lap, and kissed him.

-They were undercover. She wasn't trying to seduce him or anything… And before you say some other shit, we were not together at that time. We took a break before she left. -He shrugged. -I was hoping she wouldn't be brought back ever, and I didn't want her to wait for me. The odds were that Daniel would eventually kill me, ‘cause I know too much, so… But she's back and wants to try and take things to another level, if we get out alive.

Belle raised her head to look at him. She couldn't understand how their relationship worked. Maybe she was too possessive, but the idea of Ryan doing the things Diana had done, even if supposedly staged, made her stomach churn and her chest hurt.

Still, Corey didn't seem to care at all, and apparently Diana had told him everything about it. She wondered if he knew about her talk with Ryan inside his study. That one didn't sound staged, and had no reason to be. But then again, Corey had made it clear that Belle had no place talking about their relationship, so she decided to keep it to herself.

-Ok, Corey, I get it. Sorry if I offended you. Tell her I mean no harm to her and that it's ok if she wants to talk, I'll listen. -Belle sighed. -You must be tired, at least I am… Let's call it a day, please?

-I didn't mean to hurt you, about Desmond… I'm sorry. -Corey raised his arm to touch her shoulder, but she backed away. -I hope you two work.

-We will. -She nodded, but the sting in her throat let her know that she wasn't that sure. -Goodnight. And thank you, again, for helping me.

Corey nodded and walked away. She wanted to ask him about what had happened between Ryan and Diana, but was sure Ryan wouldn't be ok with it, so decided to wait until he decided to tell her. She hoped that day would come.

Belle dragged herself back to the bed and Mia held her, stroking her back.

-I know you don't want to talk about it, but I'm guessing Vincenzo is close to Ryan… It sounds like someone he would relate to. -She whispered in her ear. -I don't really know Ryan, but if he is always like he was the only time I spoke with him through the phone, I'm sure he will find a way of keeping that cop from harming his friend. Don't worry.

Belle gave her friend a kind smile. She couldn't share Ryan's secrets with anyone, not even someone she would share her own secrets with, like Mia. She laid down, but thoughts of Diana, Ryan, Vincenzo, Kevin and Daniel kept bothering her, and she couldn't find a comfortable position. Mia sat up and stroked her hair.

-Are you alright? -She murmured. -Do you want to talk?

-I can't sleep. -She sighed, sitting up. -I need to think about the possibilities, about Daniel's password…I'm gonna go get the Bible…

-I don't really think it has anything to do with the Bible, though. -Mia put her index finger over her lower lip. Belle paused and creased her eyebrows, waiting. -I mean, by what you told me, religion isn't his only obsession… He's also obsessed with chemistry, for example.

Belle thought about it, then raised her head and let a wide smile spread on her lips.

-You're a genius, Mia! -She leaned and kissed the girl's cheek, making her blush. -I can't believe it, it was right there and I couldn't see it!

-Wait, I didn't yet get what it is, it's just an idea, like… -The girl shook her head, blushing. -I'm not really into STEM, I'm clueless about anything related to Math or those things, sorry… Maybe it's some message written with the chemical elements symbols, but using their atomic numbers, I don't know…

-No, Mia, really, you got it just right. It's much more simple, actually. -Belle grinned. -And Daniel is just an arrogant ass. It's Avogadro constant.

-I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. But I'm sure you're right. -Mia nodded slightly. -What now? Are you gonna tell Fox about it? I don't think you should… I don't really trust him.

-No, I won't tell anyone. You shouldn't, either, please. The same goes to you, Hanna, for all effects, you must not tell anyone that we know his password, ok? -They both stared at her for a while, but the girl kept pretending to be asleep. Belle was worried about Hanna. She had been feeling sick for days now, throwing up or complaining of cramps. Still, for the past three days, she had gradually become lethargic, something that was absolutely not normal for her. -Hanna, are you alright? Do you need something?

But the girl kept ignoring them, so Belle just shrugged and laid down to sleep. Mia hesitated, staring at their backs for a long time before giving up, but ended up sleeping between them.

The day of Belle's party finally arrived. Heaven showed up to get blood samples from Belle, Hanna and Mia. She wouldn't tell her why, but later, when Daniel came to see her, he explained she would meet too many people that night and the days that would follow, and he needed to be sure that she was healthy enough to do so and to take precautions in case she was not.

-Those two dogs could contaminate you. Since you're letting them sleep with you in the bed, we need to be sure that at least they won't give you a disease. -He glared at Mia, then looked around for Hanna and let out a displeased grunt when he spotted Hanna lying over Belle's bed. -I think I'm gonna get them a room nearby.

They argued over the idea and Belle convinced him not to take the girls away. She was behaving well, doing everything he asked her to, so she deserved to have the company of her friends. He didn't seem to agree, but his face told her he felt guilty for something and he let it be for the moment.

They also discussed Belle's schedule. At first Daniel tried to prohibit the classes during that week, claiming that it was too dangerous for her to walk around while dozens of investors and their “advisors” were staying at the Palace and that she wouldn't have energy or time to give those classes.

They argued for more than one hour until Belle finally convinced him to allow Mia and Hanna to preach for the girls during her absence. Unfortunately, since most knights would be occupied with Belle's and Daniel's protection, lower ranked knights would be appointed to supervise and escort the girls.

Right on the first day, Mia had the misfortune of meeting Wolf, the knight who had left Belle at Coyote’s mercy and got away with it. Aside from the fact that he was absolutely disrespectful and mean with her and the other girls, Mia complained about him putting his hand over her thighs during the car trip back to the palace. He had also touched her butt while they were climbing up the stairs to get back to the room, under the pretext of forcing her to walk faster.

-Please, Corey… -Belle pouted while she tried to untangle her hair. It was the second day of “her celebration” and she was exhausted. All she wanted was to sleep and wake up only by the end of the week, when the investors would be leaving already. -He makes them feel unsafe. Isn't there a way of getting rid of him for good?

-You mean like killing him? -Bob mused. Belle turned to him and shook her head vigorously. -Why not? To be honest I regret not taking the opportunity while we were dueling… I didn't think he would be such a coward. I don't think he's gonna dispute a girl again so soon, though…

-What do you mean? Did you two fight? -Belle turned to him while trying to pull another hairpin from her scalp. The maids had missed three till now. -Was it him who hurt your leg? How?

Bob nodded, then huffed.

-There's this very young chick… She looks a lot like my friend's lil sis. I knew that Wolf would jump to the opportunity of having her as soon as I spotted her on the line… I knew he would do anything to win, but I had to do something. -Bob shrugged. -I wiped the floor with him. But he begged me to stop and when I bent down to help him to his feet, he tried to stab me in my stomach. It was a near miss… But, as you can see, he did hit me. I kicked his face bloody, until he passed out. Should've killed him.

-Did you rescue the girl? -Hanna tilted her head. -Is she alright?

-Yep. She's a prick, complains all the time, but I try to be cool… The other women are helping her to adapt. -Bob said nonchalantly, then realized the girls were judging him for his remark. -It's not easy for me either, ok? Three women, when you grew up without a single one around… It's just that you girls talk too much, all the time. Nevermind.

He started to mumble, but Mia and Belle frowned, and Corey looked alway, so he immediately realized he was outnumbered and that anything he said about it would sound offensive. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

-Anyway, yeah, I should've killed him…

-No, you shouldn't. -Belle shook her head. -He'll answer to the law, not us. I don't even understand how you can talk about taking a person's life like it means nothing… Killing him won't mend what he did.

-Right, and putting him in a cell for a while will, right? -Bob scoffed. -People like him don't ever mend. He knew what he was signing up for. He's done, the only uncertainty is when.

Hanna was nodding slightly, but Mia had a crease between her eyebrows that indicated she wasn't entirely sure of what she thought about it.

-What makes you think you should be the one to decide who lives or dies, Bob? What if he thinks the same about you and decides to do it to you? -Belle shook her head and looked around, seeking support from the others. Corey nodded and Mia sighed, but nodded slightly too. -An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind…

-Fine! I won't try to explain it to you, Belle, because you just won't get it! Try talking to Desmond about it, maybe he'll do a better job explaining. -Bob frowned, getting up and heading to the door. -He would back me up with this, by the way. The world is ugly, Belle, not everyone is willing to give you a second chance, you know? Sometimes you need to do bad things to do the right thing.

With Bob gone, Belle kept trying to persuade Corey to help her and ensure Wolf would not be appointed to the task anymore. Still, he told her there was nothing he could do.

He explained that Wolf was working hard to climb up ranks and it would sound suspicious if he were suddenly left out.

-There is a way, but you won't like it… -Corey shrugged. -Snitch on him. Tell Daniel the truth about what happened in the Plates and he's gonna put him away.

-You know he won't just put him away. He'll kill him. -Belle bit her lower lip and looked away. -I would be the one to blame for that.

-No you wouldn't. -Hanna murmured. -And the world would be better with one less rapist in it.

Her voice was very weak and she looked like she had been losing sleep, although she had slept a lot that week. The nausea too seemed to be getting worse. Belle had hoped that the blood test would be enough to identify whatever was wrong with her, but by Daniel's report, the three of them were perfectly fine.

-No. I need you to find another way, please. -Belle ignored Hanna's words, turning back to Corey. -Tell me if there is anything I can do to keep him away without getting him hurt or killed.

-It's a matter of time before Daniel promotes him. If that happens, he'll be appointed to watch you, Belle. And he despises you. -Corey shrugged. -You should cut him now. I can't think about another solution, but I can't force you and I know you'll be pissed if I tell Daniel. Still, I think you should…

The door opened, startling them, and they all turned to check who was getting in.

The tanned legs were covered by white pants, the long pitch back hair was held up in a bun, the heavy makeup wasn't there, and Belle could see the dark spots under her eyes, which looked a lot less appealing without the fake eyelashes.

-Hello, my boo. -She smiled at Corey, then turned to Belle, ignoring the other two girls. -Hi, Belle… How are you doing? Baby, I need to talk with her, and with that one… Would you leave us alone for a bit? I think I'll need at least half an hour. Make sure we're not bothered for now, is it possible?

She pointed at Hanna, who seemed confused. Corey sighed and got up.

-Wait. -Belle frowned. -Is that it? She comes and asks you to leave us alone with her and you do as she says?

-Are you afraid of me, Belle? -The woman smiled, looking at her as if she was a puppy. -I've come in peace, I just need to talk with you…

-I'm not afraid of you, Diana, but that doesn't mean I want to be alone with you. -Belle glared at her. -Corey…

-It's alright, I'll be at the door and you can call me if something bothers you, ok? -He sighed. -She just wants to tell you about an idea she had. I agree with it, I think you should listen.

Belle sighed and checked on Mia and Hanna. Mia nodded and moved to sit beside her, holding her hand. Hanna just looked down and nodded.

-Right. -Belle nodded. -But let's make one thing clear, if you offend me or my friends, I want you out.

-I'm not here to offend anyone, Belle. I'm here as your nurse. -Diana shrugged. -Call me Destiny here, please?

Corey touched her arm as he passed by her. Diana pulled him by the hand and smacked a kiss on his lips. He smirked and walked out the door.

-Well… -Diana sighed. -We have to talk about some sensible subjects, so… I guess Belle already told you something about me, but I'm gonna ask you to forget about it for the time being… I'm an experienced and highly skilled nurse, and I've served in the army for five years before working in two of the best-ranked private hospitals of Massachusetts for four years straight. I'm not flexing… I'm telling you this so you understand that I'm here for professional reasons, not to hurt you or bother you in any way…

-What do you mean? -Belle frowned. -What are you talking about, Diana?

-Destiny. The fact that Ryan told you my real name is already stupid enough, but if Daniel hears it, you're gonna put me in danger. -Diana scolded her. -Anyway… I checked your blood tests… You don't need to worry, I've covered up for you both, but there are some measures we need to take to ensure you two are gonna be fine. Especially you, Hanna.

-What are you talking about, Destiny? -Belle insisted.

-I'm talking about pregnancy, Belle. -The woman stared into her eyes as if trying to make the subject sound as natural and peaceful as possible. -In your case, about a terminated pregnancy, to be more precise.

5. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, another mind-blowing chapter(n)
    Just when I think I have a good handle on things, our dear author @GiBro throws in a monkey wrench which has be doubting again:confused:
    It’s clear that Ryan does not have many fans at the palace but what’s up with Corey? He may be there as an under cover agent but I’m doubting again whether he has Ryan and Belle’s best interests at heart. And what’s up with Diana? I just can’t seem to trust her and while Corey may have feelings for her, I think that she is playing him like a fiddle:mad: We know that Ryan hasn’t been completely transparent about his past with Diana, however I don’t think that the story between them is as “clean” as she has Corey believe. I think it goes much deeper than things ended badly and she wants to make amends for the pain that she caused Ryan.
    And the last paragraph blew me away. What’s this about a terminated pregnancy and who was Diana referring to? Hanna, Belle or both? How could pregnancy even be possible at the palace unless something much more shady is going on.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  6. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's belle who had an abortion and Hanna who's currently pregnant. But when did belle have the abortion. It's been quiet a few months right since belle's been at the Palace right. I feel she had the abortion a month or two after being abducted.

arinzone, GiBro and TZia like this.
  7. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Riiii , you are correct, Diana is implying that Belle’s pregnancy was terminated but how is that possible? Was she pregnant when Daniel abducted her and did he induce the abortion when he found out that she was no longer a virgin? And how did she get pregnant? If I recall she was on the pill and Ryan was still insisting on using condoms so that was pretty much close to 100% effective birth control. But when she was at the palace they stopped all of her medication. So did Daniel or someone else violate her and she got pregnant? Did the stress of being at the palace induce the abortion? What about Hanna how did she get pregnant? Was she already pregnant when she was abducted? So many questions and so few answers:cry:
    :cry::cry:
    I hope that our dear author @GiBro will have mercy on us and not wait too long until the next chapter;)

arinzone, Riiii and GiBro like this.
  8. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There must have been some malfunction with the condoms or she must have skipped the pill on several occasions. The abortion could have been cause of the environment at the Palace. The stress, her days of going on hunger strike. Could be anything or even taking the pills during pregnancy can either terminate the pregnancy or make the child retarded..
    Im not sure about Hanna thou. At first I thought she was pregnant at the time of her abduction. But now I'm having second thoughts..‍♀️

9. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyways can't wait for the next chapter dear author. And I hope your mother is recovering and doing well.

10. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Riiii , You raise very good points! I’m glad to see that you are waiting with great anticipation as I am for the next chapter!
    @GiBro, will the circumstances of Belle’s and Hanna’s pregnancy be revealed soon? Just looking for a little spoiler here;)

arinzone, Riiii and GiBro like this.
  11. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, dear readers :love::love::love::love:
    I've tried to write this comment a handful of times now, but something always comes up and I have to leave my phone aside, and when I come back the draft is gone :(
    I don't think that's a spoiler, cause it will be explained in next chapter:
    -about the miscarriage, if you count the days you'll see that Belle's bleeding (most likely when she miscarried) happened between 31/10 and 06/11. That means roughly four weeks after she was abducted. She was already pregnant when she got there, I just didn't illustrate the day it happened.
    Belle wouldn't mess up with the pills, it's something that has a schedule and she loves the control. It's just that sometimes pills might fail and she didn't have time to do the checkups she should and go through exams to realize it wasn't working as it should (it theoretically helped control the bleeding).
    Ryan, on the other hand messes up with the condom, and they sometimes start without it or forget completely about it (especially when he's drunk).
    To be honest, I didn't write the situation, but I would think it could've happened before the full cycle, or maybe she messed up for lack of experience with the placebos, I honestly don't know for real, cause I've never used them, but my sister got pregnant for the first time when she was on pills (it is possible that alcohol consumption might have affected the effectiveness, or maybe she screwed up). I just know a good amount of girls who say they were on pills when they got pregnant.

As for Hanna, unfortunately, she got pregnant inside the Palace. Diana will explain further.

As you might have guessed, today's chapter isn't done =\ I'll let you know as soon as I'm finished, and post it. Next one after that we'll have Ryan and Vincenzo, if I don't manage to reduce this one and add that part to the end of this one.

12. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ps: I love it when there's a lot of notifications when I open the website xD
    My mother is fine, she's a bit stubborn and is still a bit weak for staying that long in the hospital bed, but at least she really didn't have any side effects from the stroke.
    We had some losses and other issues with close ones and she got affected, so things got worse this last week but she's recovering. Everything will be fine.Thank you for caring :love:

13. arinzone

arinzone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I hear this song i thought of this story

TZia and GiBro like this.
  14. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might just have named a chapter ahead. =. I'm saving this =P ty

arinzone, TZia and Riiii like this.
  15. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello @GiBro , so glad to hear from you, I was starting to worry. Hope that everything is well with you and your family:love:

GiBro and arinzone like this.
  16. arinzone

arinzone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

It's never enough to say I'm sorry
    It's never enough to say I care
    But I'm caught between what you wanted from me
    And knowing if I give that to ya, I might just disappear
    Nobody wins when everyone's losing
    It's like one step forward and two steps back
    No matter what I do, you're always mad
    And I, I can't change your mind
    I know it's like trying to turn around on a one-way street
    I can't give you what you want, and it's killing me
    And I, I'm starting to see
    Maybe we're not meant to be
    It's never enough to say "I love you"
    No, it's never enough to say I try
    It's hard to believe that there's no way out for you and me
    It seems to be the story of our lives
    Nobody wins when everyone's losing
    And I, I'm starting to see
    There's still time to turn this around
    Should we be building this up instead of tearing it down?
    But I keep thinking maybe it's too late
    And I, I finally see
    Baby, we're not meant to be
    No matter what I do you're always mad, and I
    Baby, I'm sorry to see

Im just loafing enjoy theory while waiting for next chapter :love::love:

17. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you sooo much =) You don't need to worry, and I'm really sorry for my absence, things just been a bit more agitated than normal here -.- but I'll survive.

Dear readers,
    :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:the chapter is finally coming, I just need to reread it one last time to see if I can cut out something else, and then I'll post it(probably Saturday at night, or before that).:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Now... I'm gonna be completely honest with you right now: I've messed up. The book is too long now. Like TOO long.

To wrap the whole story in this book, I'll have to finish it a bit after Ryan rescues her, and that would mean cutting out the whole plot involving Belle's parents, Chloe's story development, the trials, Mia, Hanna, Noah, Betty, Carter, Agatha, Ryans parents, the consequences of Ryan's choices and acts till now, everything that would add depth, gone.

it would just have this stamp of "happy ending" and a bunch of strands cut loose.

what I'm trying to say is, I'm gonna give you "closure" with this book, because I've promised it, but I intend to post a fourth book with the rest of what I've already planned. (And I'm ok if you guys get tired and walk away xD I've accepted that fate, cause it was my own fault after all)

I hope this will be seem as good news to at least some of you =. I was a bit unsatisfied with UOTs ending, because I wanted to see Riftan's and Max's relationship's development. I wanted to see closure with her father, with her sister. And I don't want to leave loose ends, because it frustrates me xD sorry for the long rant.

PS: I only now realized I said Saturday but I meant Sunday. My bad, I'm this lost in time -.-

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    novelenthusiast1717, imeren and TZia like this.
  18. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A fourth book, this is the best gift ever!!!
    No way are we walking away from this, you are an angel and can’t wait for more of your addictive storytelling:love::love::love:

GiBro and imeren like this.
  19. imeren

imeren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolutely true!

20. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 21

Hanna was lost in a hysterical crying, clutching at Belle as if clinging to a lifeline. Belle, on the other hand, was paralyzed, unable to react to everything Diana had just revealed.

In fact, she hadn't been ready for half of it, never had conceived the slightest possibility that any of that could happen to her or to her friends. She wasn't sad, or angry, or shocked. No, there were no feelings, no conclusions about it. She was feeling apathetic and numbed.

-Belle? -Mia murmured, putting a hand over her shoulder and pressing it slightly. Her other hand was stroking Hanna's hair. -Are you…?

But she seemed out of words and just made a face. Belle couldn't make sense of her expression, but knew it was likely a pitiful or empathetic stare.

-Isabelle… Did you understand everything I told you? -Diana pulled a chair and sat down, crossing her legs the way an actress would do in a late-night show. -Do you need some time to process it?

Belle stared at her for a few seconds, showing no emotions, then turned to Hanna. She pushed the girl away from her own neck, which was damp with the tears and saliva. After a few frustrated attempts of wiping away the moisture from her swollen cheeks and eyes, she pulled the girl to her chest, having to sit over her leg to get a bit taller.

-Destiny… I don't know what your intentions were, coming here, and saying those things to me, but I don't really believe in you. At least not about me. Just be honest about this: is Hanna really pregnant? -Belle assumed a businesslike posture and Mia creased her eyebrows, looking back and forth from her to the nurse. -And would it be safe to take it out? What are the risks to her?

-Why would I lie to you, Belle? What would I gain from lying to you about it? -Diana leaned on the arm of the chair. -I can't show you the results of the exams, but I think I could bring the doctor. He would tell you the exact same thing I've just told you.

-I'm not pregnant. Wasn't. -Belle frowned, shaking her head. -I've been here for almost two months already, and Ryan and I… I was on pills, ok? And we almost never did it without condoms, we…

-The word “almost” should ring a bell. Oral contraceptives aren't 100% effective, especially if you've just started taking them. I'm certain your doctor told you about it, didn't they? And you're not a kid anymore. You should know. -Diana rolled her eyes. -But the question here isn't how you got pregnant, but how you came to not being pregnant anymore. That's what worries me, because it wasn't our doing, everything indicates that…

-That you're trying to scare me but won't get in my head. That's what it all indicates. I won't give you that pleasure, Destiny, so don't even try. I know I was never… I wasn't. And you accusing me of doing something to… I'm a prisoner here, that's just absolutely ridiculous! -Belle stumbled in her words, but managed to say it all very calmly. -Now, different from me, Hanna had symptoms. That's the only reason I believe in you, just a bit. So, I'll ask you again: are you sure Hanna is pregnant? I'm asking about her, only, I don't want to hear any other lie about me.

Diana squirmed in her chair and let out an impatient huff.

-It's not a lie. I could just leave it be, but I'm worried about your health. Ryan would be very disappointed if I overlooked a condition that could damage your health permanently. -She sounded like a teacher talking to a very slow kid. -I didn't accuse you of anything. I didn't blame you for anything, no one with half a brain would ever blame you for something like this, isn't that obvious? What I need to know is if you did something over those last two months that could've induced a miscarriage and if you remember any situation other than the reported bleeding when it could've happened. That's all, no one is attacking you, buttercup!

Belle couldn't help but feel outraged. She got up, letting Mia take her place on the quest of trying to calm Hanna down. As she approached Diana, she crossed her arms over her chest, mostly to stop herself from slapping the woman right in her face.

-How would you even know that I was, if that was the truth? And why would the doctor hide it from me? -She was feeling sick and agitated, but still couldn't recognize her own emotions. -Forget about me, let's focus on Hanna!

-You don't understand, Isabelle. By your hCG level on your first blood test, the one you took on the day after you got here, the doctor estimates you were three to four weeks through. He altered the numbers manually to ensure that it wouldn't be leaked to Daniel, but didn't have the chance to talk with you about it. He also wanted to be sure it wasn't a false positive... -Diana sighed, shaking her head in disapproval. -He also told me that on that same day you were taken to him, with an open wound on your face, and possibly with a concussion. He was afraid you would miscarriage and tried to talk with you, but according to him, your behavior was “hostile, to say the least”… He told me you barely let him suture you, and that you were heavily guarded. That's why he arranged for a second blood exam that same week, although you must've been informed that it was meant to check for STDs…

Belle nodded slightly. She had been tested a number of times, at least five, under the most odious excuses, especially before meeting “important guests”. Still, that didn't prove, not by far, that she had been pregnant during her stay in the palace.

-The results indicated pregnancy, with hGC levels doubling or tripling between tests. He planned to convince Daniel to bring you to a healthier environment, but they were on bad terms, and he couldn't set a meeting. -Diana smirked, then scoffed. -Those two never got along… Before I was sent out, Daniel had dismissed that doctor, but apparently the one he chose to work with me here couldn't hold his tongue for long enough. It's a shame, I wish that bastard would be alive… You must have heard about his project with newborns…

-Are you gonna get to the point? We need to help Hanna. -Belle huffed. -I don't wanna know about your experiments here. If you were helping Daniel to torture those poor babies, you're as evil as him. And it's so cynical of you to come and accuse me…

Diana made a face and opened her mouth, but no sound came out. Instead, she took a deep breath and feigned a kind smile.

-Don't shoot the messenger, Belle. I too am sad for your loss, I know that Ryan would be a good father. I'm certain he would be miserable if he found out this happened...

-Shut up. -Belle glared at her. -And for your information, he doesn't want to have kids, we both are on the same page in this. I'm not sad, ‘cause I was never pregnant and I won't have kids.

-Oh my God, you're so stubborn! And also, apparently, he never told you about Sara, or else you wouldn't be saying this kind of nonsense. He would be an excellent father. -Diana glared back. -Anyway, as soon as Daniel gave me access to the nursery, I asked the doctor about your health, and he told me about the results. I didn't have the actual numbers, because he tampered with them, but I believe him. He might be… Surly. But that doesn't lessen his medical competence in the slightest. He's pragmatic, not callous.

-Destiny… What will it take for you to focus on what really matters here? -Belle clicked her tongue. -Hanna…

Diana turned to look into Hanna's eyes, but the girl hugged Mia's arm even tighter and wailed.

-She is pregnant. -Diana shot her a sympathetic smile that didn't last more than a second. -It's too early, and, yes, I can help her interrupt it, but it's her business, not yours. I'll do everything in my power to help her, but I still need to know if you did something to induce your…

-What's your plan, Diana? Do you want me to feel guilty for something that never happened? Do you think that's gonna harm my relationship with Ryan? What are you trying to achieve with that? -Belle cut her. -Ok, I didn't do anything, I wouldn't be able to do anything, I'm a prisoner here! Now, please, can you focus on helping Hanna?

Diana rolled her eyes, but nodded after a while. Belle sat beside Hanna and the girl moved to hook her arm around her neck, then laid her head over her shoulder, still sobbing and crying.

-Alright. I hope you'll come to your senses after it all sinks in and you'll tell me what you did, if you did. I'm just trying to take care of you, like Ryan would want me to. -She leaned forward, trying to get Hanna's attention. -Hanna… I know you're scared and feeling wronged. Believe me, I know. I've walked in your shoes once. I was younger than you, I was too ashamed and afraid to ask for help, and I had to deal with it on my own. It was horrible, and dangerous. It could have ended worse than it did. I could've died... But that won't be your case, ‘cause you have me, and I want you to know that I can help you do it safely.

Hanna just kept crying, clinging to Belle's neck and holding Mia's arm to her chest with all her might. Belle stroked the girl’s back and made soothing sounds, trying to comfort her.

-If it had been dealt with a couple of weeks ago, right after the fact, it would've been easier and less risky, but it seems like you've skipped your meals, haven't you?

Hanna didn't answer, but Diana nodded to herself, as if she didn't need any confirmation from the girl.

-So you're saying you and that man were responsible for the girls miscarrying? Did you put something in their food? -Belle tilted her head as Diana nodded. -And you had the audacity to come and accuse me? Even if I had been pregnant, which I wasn't, why haven't you considered that it would be your own fault?

-It wasn't. Your food comes from a different kitchen, Daniel's kitchen. We don't have allies there, or else he and his bodyguards would probably be coughing blood before we knew. -Diana shrugged. -Anyway, Hanna, you must have some questions about the procedure, do you want to speak in private, just you and me?

Hanna shook her head and sobbed, pulling Belle closer and using Mia's arm to shield herself from Diana.

-I can't. -Hanna whined after a while. -I can't do it.

-It's alright, I'll take care of you, it will be safe. -Diana finally sounded like a nurse, her voice firm but calm. -You're young and healthy. Besides, the fetus is still very small, smaller than an apple seed, you're on your third or fourth week… You won't even see it.

-He's a living being! -Hanna frowned. -It's not his fault! How could I… I can't.

Belle and Mia shared a glance, but the latter seemed enraged.

-Wait a minute, are you saying you're planning to give birth to the result of a rape? -Mia took distance from her, looking her in the eyes with a disgusted expression. -No, you won't! I won't let you do that to yourself, Hanna, you'll regret it for the rest of your life!

-I will regret it if I kill a person who can't even defend himself! My mother would never forgive me! -Hanna wiped the tears among sobs. Belle was worried for her. Her hands and legs were shaking as if she was convulsing. -I'm not gonna do that to a baby.

-It's not a baby yet. -Belle muttered, seeking help by looking at Diana. -It's only around the fifty week that…

-Screw that! -Mia exclaimed. -I mean, it literally doesn't matter! It wouldn't even matter if it did have a brain, she's gonna hate that thing, even if she manages to take it till the end! End this now, Hanna, the more you wait, the more awful you'll feel.

-I don't care if he has a brain or not, he is alive, I'm not going to kill him! -Hanna shouted. -And you! You gave that stupid speech about not killing the guards here, but you're ok with doing something so cruel and wrong to someone who didn't even do anything wrong? You're a hypocrite.

Belle just stared at her. She couldn't understand Hanna's feelings. For as long as she remembered, pregnancy had never been on her own plans, and she believed she wouldn't want to have a kid, even if she had the choice. Even with Ryan. The idea of keeping the baby of a man who had forced her sounded insane.

-Belle! Say something! She can't keep it! -Mia grunted, getting even more annoyed. -She's not thinking! She's out of her mind! We need to make her understand…

-Hanna, come with me, let's talk in private, ok? -Diana reached out, offering her hand for Hanna to take while moving to get up. -It's your decision to make, and I'll support you…

-You can't be serious! Why would you even give her that option? -Mia looked around at each one of them as if she was the only sane person inside that room. -What the fuck is going on here? Belle! Do something, tell her she can't do it!

-Mia, I can't… She has the right to… I mean, I can't force her. -Belle sighed when Hanna pushed away from her, closing her arms around herself as if she could keep them from touching her by doing that. -No one is gonna force you to take it off, Hanna… We're just worried for you… We don't want you to suffer, that's all.

-You don't know… -Hanna sobbed. -I don't want this, I didn't ask for this.

-So let Destiny take it away! -Mia almost screamed. -It's the right thing to do!

-How can you say that? -She looked up at her friend with reddened swollen eyes. -He's just a baby, I can't take his right to live just because I'm afraid….

-How can you not see it? Hanna, you don't even know the name of the asshole who did this to you! -Mia gestured with her hand toward the door, then toward Hanna's belly. -That child will be born without a father, and you're barely twenty-two! You can't take care of your own ass, how can you expect to be able to raise a child on your own?

-I… I could give it up for adoption… -Hanna looked down, as if ashamed to say it out loud. -I just don't want to… Take away his right to live.

-Hanna, do you really believe that turning it into an orphan is better than just ending it before it develops consciousness? -Belle frowned. -It's my place to speak, and, believe me, it's not.

-What do you mean? Would you rather not exist than being an orphan? -Diana tilted her head. -Girl, you need therapy.

-I don't feel like that anymore, but yes, most of my life… Before Ryan. -Belle shrugged. -To be honest, I think it would've been even worse if I didn't have my own means to live. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I had been dumped in an orphanage…

-Then I can ask my mom for help. -Hanna groaned. -I'll decide what I'll do later.

-No, Hanna, it won't be easy to make that decision later, do it now! Destiny told you, you won't even see it, just take it off. -Mia crossed her arms. -Can't you just put some medicine in her water or something? She doesn't have to know.

-That's wrong… -Belle murmured, although she herself had thought about it. -She has the right to decide.

Hadn't Diana told it in front of the girls, Belle would have asked the nurse to end it without Hanna's knowledge, just to spare her friend from the shock and pain. Now she was torn between feeling glad that she hadn't made that choice and ashamed by the fact that she still thought it would've been better and easier.

-No, she doesn't, because she's not thinking about the consequences! -Mia was directing her anger toward Belle now. -You should be helping me, not making it even worse.

-Hanna… Do you want me to come back tomorrow, or another day, to have this conversation alone with you? -Diana sighed. Hanna nodded, rubbing her swollen eyes with the back of her hands. -It's alright. Please have your meals regularly, don't be afraid, nothing will be done without your consent, ok? Just don't let Daniel know…

Hanna nodded and Diana stood up.

-What would happen, if Daniel got word about this? -Belle tilted her head.

-She would be taken to a place they call “the Nest”. It’s not that bad, they are monitored and have a few privileges, like massages and hearty meals. But I've heard you've found a way of taking the girls to get some daily sunlight and fresh air, which is something she won't have for the next months if she's taken there. She'll also have some disadvantages like being forbidden to talk or touch her belly. Let's wait until it can't be avoided, ok? I need to talk with you, Isabelle, just the two of us. It's not about you, don't worry, you have my word.

Diana rushed to assure Hanna when she looked up.

-If it is about me being pregnant or…

-It is not. I won't bother you with that again unless I have to.

Belle shrugged and followed her. She could hear Mia insisting with Hanna that the girl should listen to her and follow her advice as the door closed. When they got near the fireplace, Diana pulled Belle's arm and took her hand. Belle felt something cylindrical and plastic being pressed against her palm. When she looked down, she recognized a small syringe.

-Half a dose to incapacitate a male adult for up to two hours, the full dose to kill. The closer to the heart, the faster the effect. -Diana whispered. -Corey told me he's been violent. I'm worried about you.

-What…? I wouldn't want to…

-It's only if things get out of control. -Diana put a finger to her lips. -I know you don't want to hurt him, but he could hurt you, for real. Ryan isn't coming, Belle. He left me behind. He told me they wouldn't let him take me if they couldn't track me. It's been four days already, if they knew my location, we wouldn't be here anymore. Don't hesitate to use this, if you have to. It will seem like he had a heart attack, no one will know. At least not with the resources we have here...

Diana made a face, then put some distance between them.

-I'm not your enemy, Belle. -She shrugged. -We started on the wrong foot, but I really don't care if you like me or not. I'm not looking either for your approval or hate.

-Same here. -Belle shrugged too.

-You wish… -Diana scoffed. -You think I want Ryan back. I don't. I won't lie, I'd go for another ride if he offered it, but it would be just for fun, I wouldn't fall for that guy. He's not my type.

-He won't ever offer you anything. -Belle frowned. -I wonder if Corey would think it's ok…

-He's not the kind of man who cares about what's on the imaginary field… His self confidence isn't as fragile as yours, or Ryan's… -Diana smirked as she slowly walked toward the door. -You're gonna learn with time… It's tiresome to try to keep up with someone like Ryan. Always one step behind, always chasing, never reaching. He's on the run and never rests, never lets his walls down. He's always waiting for the end.

-As it should be with someone untruthful like you. But he's just fine with opening up to me. -Belle crossed her arms over her chest, but could feel her cheeks burning. -Goodbye, Diana, don't bother coming to see me. You can come and meet Hanna and Mia when I'm not here.

Diana giggled and rolled her eyes before walking out. Belle saw Corey creasing his eyebrows at her after glancing at Belle’s watering eyes and red cheeks, before he closed the door.

-I don't want to hear it, Mia. Leave her alone. -Belle sighed once she was back inside the room. She got on her knees in front of her bed and tucked the syringe into her hiding spot while the two girls were still too distracted bickering. -We can't force her, and I don't want her to feel like she's alone. We'll help you, Hanna, even though we're worried that you might regret it. Let's talk about it when we're all more calm and able to think before we speak, alright?

-I am thinking pretty fine! -Mia raised her voice. -She's screwing up her life and you're gonna just watch!

-You're saying hurtful things that are making her get on defensive. That's not helping. -Belle frowned. -I need to sleep, tomorrow it will be the closing ceremony, and Daniel said I'll be busy from 5 a.m. till after midnight. Let's discuss this once we're safe, out of here. Her mother will do a better job than us in helping her make a decision, don't you think?

Mia opened her mouth, ready to disagree, but then she huffed and laid down with her back to them. It was Hanna's side of the bed and the girl looked at Belle with a helpless expression.

-Come here, it's alright. -Belle sighed, opening up her arms to offer her a hug. Hanna hesitated, but moved closer and rested her head on Belle's shoulder. -Try not to think about it for now. Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you.

-Aren't you sad? That you lost Ryan's baby? -Hanna sniffed after a couple of minutes, holding her own waist. -Don't you feel like something has been stolen from you?

Belle thought about it. She still didn't believe she had been pregnant. Something in the back of her mind was still assuring her it was just a mistake or that Diana had made it up to hurt her.

Even then, she had felt a piercing pain in her chest when Diana had mentioned that Ryan would feel bad if he knew of it. It had been instantly replaced by anger with the mentioning of Sara, whose existence had never been mentioned by him before, but the pain had been there, so she guessed she should feel something about it. Still, now she just didn't. Maybe she was still in denial. Anyway, she had much more important things to worry about, so, whatever the reason, she was glad her mind was at ease with the situation.

-Not really. Do you think you'd feel stolen if you decided to stop it now? -Belle whispered, doing her best to keep Mia out of the exchange. -Don't you think you should feel wronged for being forced to go on with something you didn't even have the choice to start instead?

Hanna was silent for a while, then she moved her arms and hugged Belle so hard it felt like she would smother her.

-I'm afraid. What if I can't be a mother after…? If it goes wrong and one of us gets crippled? What if… I can't do this. -She whined as she started crying all over again. -And God has a plan, I don't have the right… I don't know anything, I feel like I wanna sleep and never wake up again. I just want everything to disappear.

She wasn't sure she had understood Hanna's questions and couldn't tell if the girl had really meant to say them out loud. It was probably around 1 a.m. and they were all very tired.

Not knowing what to say, Belle patted her back instead, then pulled her to lie down. Hanna eventually moved to curl into a ball, with her legs over Belle's and her head over her stomach.

If everything went as planned, they would be back home until the end of the week. She was sure Hanna would have professional support once the authorities learned about what had happened to her. What good could come from making the girl go through even more suffering now? Either feeling judged by Mia, or feeling patronized by herself, Hanna would get no closure. The best thing was to let it sit for now. They were about to get free. Ryan would come soon, she was sure of it.

Belle woke up, feeling a bit of discomfort in her lower back. The wetness between her legs and the sore muscles let her know she hadn't been dreaming. She moved around, trying to find a comfortable position, and was startled when she spotted Ryan, sitting at one corner of the bed with his back to her, his body arched, with his weight being supported by his elbows resting over his knees. He had both hands covering his face, and was taking deep noisy breaths.

Ryan? Are you feeling sick? She should've expected this. He had never drank this much, not that she knew about, and they had had an intense night, so it wasn't surprising that his body could've reached its limits. Belle sat up and gently touched his shoulder. Ryan, please, you're worrying me.

We did it again, Belle. This can't keep happening, you know it's… Shit… Ryan sighed and ruffled his hair with one hand, while rubbing his chin with the other before turning to face her. I'm not saying it's only your fault, but you were sober, you could've warned me. It takes two to make this the wrong way.

Belle froze. The condom. This was about the fact that he had been so drunk and so excited the night before that he hadn't even bothered getting the condoms before having sex with her over and over again.

She herself hadn't even thought about it until he had reached orgasm for the first time. Ryan had driven her crazy even before they got home, teasing her during the whole trip back from the restaurant, while she was doing her best to keep her eyes on the road.

Since it was already too late by then, she decided to let it be, on the next round, and the one after it. At some point he realized his mistake and she was afraid he would push her away and get upset, but instead he had whispered in her ear that she was a “really bad girl” and that they would have a talk when he could think straight again. They went on without the condoms until she was too tired and he was too drowsy to go on.

I'm sorry… When I realized it it was already too late. She murmured, biting her lower lip and averting her eyes. Ryan…

This is your responsibility too, Belle, you know that, don't you? What if you got pregnant? Ryan clicked his tongue and put a finger under her chin to get her attention. I'm serious, Isabelle, this can't happen again, ok? Help me with this, I'm human, I make mistakes too.

Belle nodded, but as soon as he took his hand away, she looked down. This was bad. He would go back to treating her coldly.

Ryan… She hesitated. I know we agreed not to talk about her anymore, but…

It's not the same. It wasn't mine, and I wouldn't treat you like I did with her, that's not the point. He got up, but grimaced, obviously stricken by a hangover headache. The point is that it would ruin both our lives. No matter the outcome, we would both be screwed and unhappy.

She nodded, and he groaned as he walked toward the bathroom with a hand over his nape.

How did you know? Belle insisted. She had had this question in her mind for so long. Maybe now he would be willing to let her take a peek, even if just a bit, inside his personal life and past. You said you knew right away that it wasn't yours. How?

I know basic math. I can convert weeks into days to know which week she was claiming it had happened. He shrugged. Since she was still waiting for an answer, he went on. I was in no condition of having sex with anyone those weeks. Let alone with her.

Belle frowned, tilting her head. Ryan sighed and sat again, with his back to her, clearing his throat before going on. He looked around and retrieved his trunks and pants.

I… I had just gone through a medical procedure. I had to take a medicine that made me feel like shit for a week or so, and I was very tired, because there was a turn in the case, so I postponed my vacation for the other week. He explained in a tone that made it clear that he wouldn't get into details. The following week, I didn't go home. It was probably when she cheated on me. Or at least the one she got pregnant while doing that, I don't really believe it was a one-time thing.

Belle just stared at him, but he didn't turn to check on her expression and didn't give any signs that he'd go on.

What medicine?

Irrelevant. He pretended to be occupied adjusting his belt.

Was it licit? Morphine? She sighed. What were you doing? Why didn't you go home?

It doesn't matter. I told you, I had a medical procedure. He turned his head and frowned, but didn't look her in the eyes. What? You don't believe me?

I'm just curious. It wasn't true, she was worried for him, and the fact that he was refusing to give her details made her feel like he was trying to hide something. You never forget things, I doubt you wouldn't remember the name of a medicine that made you “feel like shit” for a whole week…

Filgrastim. Happy? Now can we go back to the fact that you've purposefully led me into taking the risk of getting you pregnant? He rolled his eyes. Let me be more clear: if I can't trust you, then I won't anymore.

I already told you, I got distracted. It was an accident, that's all, I'm sorry. Belle sighed. Ryan got inside the bathroom and closed the door behind him, letting out a groan in response to the loud noise. She tried to keep the name of the medicine fresh in her mind, so she could Google it later, but it eventually slipped away. When the door opened again, she got to her feet. Ryan, I'm really sorry, please, don't treat me badly.

Ryan finally looked into her eyes and she saw the ice there immediately melt. He reached out and held her to his chest, kissing the top of her head.

I won't, don't worry, baby. He sighed. I'm upset with myself, a lot more than I am with you, believe me. I'm feeling like an irresponsible jerk, that's all. Sorry for putting so much weight on you.

It's alright. Belle held him tight and let a groan escape through her lips when he did the same. Ryan… If it happened… I mean, it can't happen, and you know it, but… If it happened… What would you do?

What do you mean? He sighed.

I mean, you stayed with Samantha to stop her from terminating it… Why?

Ryan huffed and gently pushed her back, keeping her at arm's length.

There's a bunch of excuses I could give you, but, the truth is that I was wrong. I should've told her the truth right away, kicked her from my house, let her go and be miserable somewhere else, away from me. He shook his head slightly with a small bittersweet chuckle. My therapist tried to come up with a reasonable explanation, but I don't believe there is.

Belle nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder when he sat down to put his shirt and socks on.

It's alright, Ryan, you don't need to tell me. She didn't want to push him away again. If he ever decided to open up to her, she would gladly listen, but right now she could tell he wasn't ready to talk. Why don't you sleep a bit while I make us some breakfast?

He shook his head and took both her hands, kissing the back of her fingers before tossing her arms over his shoulders and around his neck.

Vengeance, for starters. I've been through hell for that bitch and all she gave me was lies, betrayal and a lot of ammunition for Andrews' bullshit. I was sick of her ever since the engagement scheme, but I couldn't simply kick her out, because she wasn't in a mental or physical condition to be left on her own. Ryan clicked his tongue and shook his head. She was literally starving herself, and Andrews was the only person who would convince her now and then that she needed to eat more than lettuce and protein shakes, and that throwing everything up three times a day wouldn't help.

Ryan made a disgusted face, but Belle had the impression he didn't mean to let her see it.

Near the end, I was disgusted by her sight. Or her smell. Smelled like rot and acrid. I just… Didn't want her to die on me. He sighed and raised both shoulders. And that would be my second excuse, ‘cause I really hoped that having something or someone more important to take care of, she would fucking leave me alone and at least try to be a bit more responsible. I just didn't want to be the one responsible for her death… As ironic as it sounds…

Belle tried not to show how shocked and confused she was by his confession. Thinking about the afternoon they had spent talking in the doughnut store, she felt ridiculous for having the impression his expression was one of longing. It was most likely one of relief.

And the third one… I told you before, my grandma, she could've chosen not to keep my father, Edward. She chose to keep him, she had a difficult life because of her choices but… She was happy with it, in the end. My mom… His eyes were distant for a moment and he cleared his throat. I mean, Richard wouldn't have been born if it wasn't for that… I wouldn't have gotten in the army, I would never have met you, you would have died in that fire….

You wouldn't even exist… Belle murmured, feeling a chill run down her spine with the idea.

Ryan paused, then shrugged.

Anyway, it would've changed everything, if grandma had given up… I just felt like it was the wrong thing to do… He paused and stared at her, as if trying to decide if he should explain further. My mother, too, had to make a choice. You and other people wouldn't be alive if she had chosen differently.

Belle tilted her head at his blunt comment, even though she had understood exactly what he meant.

Are you saying your mother considered not having you? She frowned.

I'm saying she didn't think twice before choosing to keep me. He sighed. I'm not gonna lie, most of the time I felt like she had made a mistake. But I'm glad she did.

Belle nodded vigorously, only realizing the ambiguity of it a moment later.

It wasn't a mistake, she must love you, a lot.

She does. But I don't think I'm worth the trouble. I don't think I ever was. He huffed, then got up. I'm gonna go buy your damned pill so we don't end up bringing another mistake to this world, ok? Don't bother making breakfast for me, my stomach is sick, I'll just grab something at the pharmacy to ease it and come back to bed. Get some sleep, you must be tired too.

Belle sighed. A question was bothering her, but she was afraid that he would shut her out or feel pressured. Even then, she didn't believe they would ever get into this topic again, so she braced herself and decided to be bold.

Ryan… He turned to face her, with his hand on the doorknob. You said you're not in favor of… Of abortion, but that's what you'd expect me to do, right? If we, I mean, if I could get pregnant and it happened…

It's different. He said nonchalantly.

How come? She was genuinely confused. Seeing him huffing and rolling his eyes only added to her discomfort.

I don't want another me in anyone's life. One is bad enough. He wrinkled his nose with repulse. My blood is cursed. And sorry for saying that, but I feel like yours is not that better. I don't think a person can pass on what they were never given in the first place.

Belle sat there, watching the closed door as she heard him walking down the steps and leaving through the front door. She knew Ryan despised her parents, especially her father, but it was the first time he had told her he thought she had inherited something essentially bad from them.

The next day was the worst one. As promised, Daniel came to get her before the sun was up. She was dressed with the first of six dresses she would wear that day and had to gulp down her breakfast, since the makeup would take longer. When she looked at herself in the mirror, she couldn't recognize her own reflection.

-You look like a drag. -Mia made a face.

-It's not that bad… -Hanna pressed her lips, but Belle could say she was making an effort to try to come up with something nice to say. -You're still beautiful… It's just a bit too… Stage-like?

Belle rolled her eyes and shrugged. She didn't mind going through this kind of humiliation anymore. Whatever it took to get them out of that place, if Daniel decided to dress her up like a clown, she would be fine with that.

The high heels were too high, though, but fortunately Daniel himself got uncomfortable with the fact that she was almost as tall as him and made the maids bring a shorter version of it before they left for the first party of the day.

It was a cocktail of sorts, where the guests came one by one to a stand. They stated their expectations about their partnership with Daniel's society and talked about what they had to offer in return for his support. It served Belle perfectly to allow her to know exactly which enterprises were involved in the scheme. She was outraged to learn that a lot of them had ties with her own enterprises and NGOs.

Lots of the men made a point of mentioning her father, their honor to have met him and having the opportunity of making business with him, then toasted on her honor, making flattering comments about her beauty and their expectations for her future in the companies. She was glad she had so much makeup on, ‘cause she doubted they could tell how red her face was or that her frozen smile was in fact hiding a disgusted glare.

She counted seventy two men, more than half of them American, and the rest from a variety of places, from China, South Africa, India, Bolivia, Brazil, Mexico… She was glad to know that she had the help of her allies who would discreetly take notes and remind her of their names, enterprises and countries later.

After that, they had a tour of sorts with some of the guests, although only through the inner gardens, and followed by a heavy guard. Belle had never seen so many guns in her life. She was glad Twenty-two hadn't managed to wave a riot. It would've been a huge slaughter.

During their walk, some of the men approached her to compliment her for the dress, the food, that was served by maid in golden plates, and to discreetly inquire about her loyalty to Daniel. Many of them seemed to be skeptical about their engagement and two of them had blatantly offered her a way out, in which she would marry them instead.

One of them was a well known billionaire, and Belle had hoped he was actually pretending to be on Daniel's side and intending to ruin his plans and save the world from his kind, but turns out he was actually either as crazy as him or worse.

Since they were obviously in no condition of having a private conversation, Belle couldn't know if they were potential allies infiltrated or not, so she decided to treat them all as enemies.

Later, as they walked into the ballroom, four maids came to detach the long cape from Belle's back. It was a relief to get rid of the heavy glistening burden. As she watched the women struggle to carefully fold it to carry it away, she wondered how much it had cost, considering it was embroidered with minuscule stones and was at least five meters long.

Her dress too was absurdly expensive and heavy. It would have been completely transparent if it wasn't for the infinity of small stones covering every inch of it, which made it weigh so much that Belle couldn't take to keep standing for more than a couple of minutes without feeling tired. It also scratched and itched so much that she felt like her skin was permanently burning from the moment she got into it. At least Daniel wasn't forcing her to go and talk to the guests, so she just sat at a comfy chair and did her best to ignore her sore legs and back.

After a couple of hours of walking around, chatting and laughing with his new partners, Daniel came to sit by her side.

-That man, from the other day… You said he was important, but he's not here, is he? -Belle tried to keep her voice calm and without any hint of emotion while her eyes scanned the room once again. -The man with silver hair, I don't remember his name…

-Domenico? -Daniel sniffed and cleared his throat. He had left with a group of guests and she could bet by his reddened eyes that they hadn't spent their time just talking. -He couldn't come. There was a loss in his circle and he said it would cause a turmoil between families if he didn't show up to the funeral. But he said he wants to come again soon to pay his respects to us and that he'll bring me a gift when he does.

Belle pressed her lips and nodded, feeling agitated. For some reason she had expected this day to be the day when Vincenzo would fulfill his promise of coming to get her. But she wasn't so upset, after all. She was eager to get out, but wouldn't expect Vincenzo to care about preserving innocent lives in the process of rescuing her. He didn't seem like the type to care for other people's suffering, unless he himself had a reason to.

-Are you interested in that man? -Daniel narrowed his eyes. -If I recall it correctly this is the second time you ask me about him…

-It's not. I didn't even remember his name. -Belle sighed. -I told you before, I don't want to have anything to do with anyone that would willingly come here.

-Except me. -He raised one eyebrow. When she didn't say anything, he frowned. -Say it. Anyone except me.

-Yeah, that's right. -She shrugged. Daniel still stared daggers at her, so she nodded. -There's only one man I ever think about... And I'm sure you know it's you, don't you?

Or at least you wish you were… She did her best not to laugh when his cheeks got as red as his eyes. She looked away to avoid rolling her eyes at him, and caught a glimpse of Corey waving at her. It looked like he wanted to speak with her in private.

-Hm, Daniel… I think that man wanted to talk with you a moment ago, but you were looking at me… -Belle pointed at an old man talking to two younger ones. He looked very drunk and Belle watched him make a face a few times, as if he was sick of his stomach. -He seemed upset, it looked as if you were intentionally ignoring him…

-Shit. It's all your fault, you keep distracting me with your nonsense. -Daniel clicked his tongue and jumped to his feet, storming toward the man as if his life depended on getting to him as fast as possible.

Corey immediately approached her and stood behind her chair.

-It’s happening tonight. -He murmured. Belle couldn't hold herself and turned to stare at him. -We'll transmit your message tonight. I need you to come up with an excuse to leave with me, I'll take you to the computer room as soon as possible.

-We need to wait till tomorrow, we need the time of the departure of all these people… -She whispered, doing her best not to move her lips too much.

-We already have it. I'll explain it to you once we're alone. -Corey whispered back. -Make it happen.

Her heart raced and she immediately got up, enduring the scratches from the dress and the extra weight. She quickly rehearsed her excuse in her mind, then walked toward Daniel.

-My Lord… May I have a word with you, please? -She murmured after smiling at each one of the guests around him. -If you'll excuse me, I'll need to borrow my fiance for a moment.

Daniel's annoyed glare was gone in a blink, and he gave her a proud smile. His smile didn't last, though, melting as soon as he saw her pleading eyes.

-I don't feel so well… I think I need to go to the restroom. -She huffed and fanned herself with her hand. -I actually feel like I'm gonna pass out.

-Don't you dare embarrass me. Suck it up! -Daniel hissed, glaring at her. -I'm gonna get Fox and tell him to take you to your room, ok? Or do you need to go to the nursery? For God sake, you're gonna make me reassign guards all of a sudden just because of your weak mind and body, you should be ashamed.

And so he grabbed her by her wrist and dragged her to where Corey stood. Her heart was slamming her chest. Everything was happening so smoothly and perfectly. She couldn't believe that her nightmare was just about to end.

Everything would end that night, all her problems would be solved the day after. This would be the last night she would spend in this horrid place, and by the end of the next day she would be back where she belonged: between Ryan's arms.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023