So, I made a parody of the cliché tropes in Korean web novels...

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Fellyciach, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Fellyciach

Fellyciach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to test the water before diving all in into this project. So, please check out the first chapter and tell me what you think.

Synopsis:
    Are you tired and sick of the cliché tropes in most Korean web novels? Well then, this is not the book for you. I'm gonna take every single overused plot, character, and trope on Korean web novels from an ordinary office worker getting isekai as a villainess, abusive family, misunderstanding, MC being saint or God-chosen or whatever, ML is either cold Northern-Duke (because obviously other territory doesn't exist except the North) or crown prince, and of course, ML have to have black hair and red eyes, etc, etc, and then mash it into one dreadful, yet hilarious parody.

NOTE: This is only a parody, no need to take it seriously. I'm also an avid reader of Korean web novels myself. So, please keep in mind that this book isn't intended to insult anyone, but to lightly make fun of the way most Korean web novels are written.

Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/33775...zc472h57b4id2btc4+u1rje23avplyospeund41nvq8gs

2. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Cliché as it is, I'm currently reading the first chapter in my boring office while pretending to do my boring work.

This part made me laugh.

The first chapter is funny. I don't know how you'll keep the succeeding chapters stick to the parody model. For now, I'll add this in my library.

You said in the notes that it would be 10 chapters or so. Ngl wattpad isn't the place for shorts to have millions of reads. If you will consider making this longer, I see more potential. However, to stick to the comedic theme, it's best to change the book cover appropriately.

The synopsis would do for now but in the future, it should be changed to something more suitable. Only if you would plan to make this into a standard web novel-ish type.

Have fun and good luck.

Edit: It's also nice that someone posted a newbie story here without grammatical errors and errors in paragraph lines.

3. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for reading the bullsh*t I wrote down because I was having writer's block while working on my other project. My other project was an angst story that combines regression/reincarnation/ isekai into one. So yeah, I needed a breather after writing such a depressing subject. Lol...

Tbh, I got the idea of writing this after reading a parody book about all the cliché tropes in Wattpad. That book only has 4 chapters, but it has 3.29m reads. Lol....

As for the cover, I might consider making one later when I get more chapters out. It took me a long time to make an original cover. The cover of my other book took almost 2 months to make, from sketching until finishing. And for now, I still don't have any idea about what to draw for the cover of a parody book. Maybe you have any suggestions?

And for the blurb, I might change it later when I get a clearer picture of what I want the story to be like.

P.S. Thank you for the compliment. I'm a picky reader myself, so I'm a bit perfectionist when it comes to reading as well as writing even though English isn't my first language.

melomarl likes this.
  4. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    How nice, you draw your own covers as well? Very talented.

As for the suggestions hmm, I usually read and write CN novels more so it's kinda difficult for me to suggest a clear picture. What I recommend though is searching for similar comedic Korean novels and see how they look like. You'll probably get an idea.

5. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted my cover to be on par with most Korean novels out there. So I didn’t want to just randomly pick out an illustration from internet and decided to just make my own. I mostly only read Korean novels and manhwa because I like their writing styles and arts the best (semi-realist art). I'm currently working with another illustrator to make manhwa promotion for my story. Her style is much simpler and more suitable for manhwa than a novel cover, but she works really fast, so I might ask her to make me a cover later.

Tbh, I rarely found any comedic korean novel. Usually, it'd still be mostly about romance, so the cover would still be pretty even though it's funny. I'm thinking about making a cover about the mc getting hit by a truck. I think it'd serve the comedic and cliche purpose. What do you think?

6. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Next time click on the reply button, I won't get a notif if you don't. I just randomly clicked this thread again so I happen to be here.

That sounds a nice idea too.

7. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah sorry for that. I usually always click the reply button, but I forgot this time. Anyway, I decided to ask my illustrator friend to make a cover for my parody book. We've made the sketch already and now it's in the process of coloring.

I want to change the title, and I want it to be something funny, comical, and eye-catching. But I'm suck at making title. Do you have any suggestion in mind?

8. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Erase the term "be like" and go something witty or sarcastic like "I Who Advocate Rofan Cliches"
    Depends on the personality of your MC tbh

9. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm... I think she's more like dumb one dimensional character at this rate. Hah... making title is so hard. I'm done with the cover though.

IMG-20230402-WA0001.jpg
    [​IMG]

10. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    the second image you uploaded is broken i think :meowflower::meowflower::meowflower:

11. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    I only uploaded one and I couldn't delete the broken one.

12. melomarl

melomarl Burning Red

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice, it looks good

13. Fellyciach

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw, thank you. If you're interested, please check out my other story as well. It's an angst regression/reincarnation story though, so it's the complete opposite of my parody story. But I showcased more of my writing skills there.

14. Aristes

Aristes [Archiver of idea], [Harbinger of the Fall]

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I love this sort of trope of literally making fun of general cliche.
    Like how about instead of Damsel in Distress, we got Dragon in Dress.
    Does the Devil/Demon King always resorts to violence? Hey, why not we makes him some heartless psychopath of a Corporate CEO? Now that's nightmarish for middle ages.
    Take this for an example: Heaven and Hell, no more paradise and damnation. Well, both are literal suffering.
    "Is Heaven truly a paradise? Well, yes, but only if you worked hard enough through pile of paperworks, I mean the angels are literally falling to Hell solely because they wants some break... only to realize that Hell is no longer mere pit of damnation, it's a F*CKING tourist trap!!"

It's not an insult, it's more or less of creative take for authors to reflect on the current flow of what the audience wanted. They don't exactly like what nowadays fantasy are because it's overusing what's already been used dry in a similar manner.