Discussion I know I defend Harems, but there are times I wish I could castrate the MC

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Cutter Masterson, Mar 29, 2023.

Tags:
?

Are you a fan of Harems?

1. Yes

12.9%
  2. No

22.6%
  3. A little

1.6%
  4. Hell No!

21.0%
  5. Depends

35.5%
  6. Reverse Harems are ok

1.6%
  7. Reverse Harems are just as bad

4.8%
  1. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t judge a book by its cover.
    Who goes into a novel that’s terrible willingly? Except for school. There is no good reason.
    Why read a novel if you know what will happen? It is because we are always searching for our next great story.
    Why throw out the baby with the bath water? It is because you’ll miss out on many worthwhile books if you do

2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At some point, this seems more on the reader than on the writer.

The interesting thing about all this is that nobody here seems to have ever come across good harem novels even though there's plenty of them out there.

3. Chizuai

Chizuai TheCritiqueQueen ♛ಠ⁠︵⁠ಠ

Reading List:
    Link
    IT DEPENDS
    Reverse harem (y)yes but! If the FL is not timid or nàive.

Harem :mad: a BIG NO!!! Girls r so dramatic imagine if you r surrounded by timid girls arrrghhh 100x annoying when they always need your help or everytime that you fvckin need to save them seriously?. Specially in Action genre when the male MC is over power you want to have a rival or enemy that doesn't fall to the MC.. but if it's a girl it's very impossible to not to fall. ( Like bro it ruining the action scenes changing the the action Genre into a complete romance genre:cautious: what the hck!!) then if the girl Characters r l0li gossshh a kid who doesn't get into adult but got a voice of a adult gr0sssss I hate harem!!. There's a lot of action manhwa or anime that I dropped because I'm so Annoyed to see so many girl Characters I mean almost of the Characters r girls even extra fvck!! :cry::cry::cry:( Don't react and argue to me if you can't understand my frustration about ths just please)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well those points were reasons I read harem novels, and I am a reader, so yeah that is pretty much entirely on the reader.

5. Crabbylioness

Crabbylioness Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look man, ANY social structure -- family, business, church, social club, or even a harem -- is going to have the same built-in limitations. If it's just 2-3 people you can get by with minimum conflict and interpersonal conversation. Once you start getting bigger than that you're going to have more interpersonal conflict, and that will increase exponentially the more people you add. There's only two things you can do if you want to keep growing at that point:
    1. Make strict rules and enforce them, or
    2. Spend a lot, and I mean a LOT of time having conflict resolution conversations.
    That's just the way people work in groups. Throwing sex into the mix just INCREASES the drama. It won't make it go down.

GGbookluver and Cutter Masterson like this.
  6. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally agree

Crabbylioness likes this.
  7. Tarawa

Tarawa [Clubs] [Zam!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well written Harem is hard... ITS become a no no when the story' focus on collecting Harem member...

8. Pacekot

Pacekot [Spades] [Blackjack #10]

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the plot is good and the Character feel alive.. i kinda am fine reading harem

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  9. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember reading Ancient Strengthing System and Against the Gods, I was really fed up with Harem at that time. Now, as long as the story is good enough I skim through harem part.

10. Orris

Orris 『 最 強 ⑨ ~ 』

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh i could only ever a harem novel if it the number of interests was limited to only 2 people maybe 3 :meowflower::meowflower::meowflower:
    i could read stories if theres 3 to maybe 5 if everything else is fine? but i dont think i could say the story is great

GGbookluver and Cutter Masterson like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree

12. GGbookluver

GGbookluver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the harem aspect of a story is usually used to cover the flaws of the writer. Wish fulfillment is huge in the anime/web novel/generally weeb community and authors utilize that weakness. So the standards for harem novels are incredibly low and they're everywhere.

I'm not the target audience for the harem genre so naturally, I don't enjoy it. But I've read a good amount and found the ones I really like are usually the ones that have their own life separate from the main character. This means the harem isn't clingy, abusive, or overly dependent. They have their own friends and they are comfortable with the MC. If harems were more like that I wouldn't mind. I like when MCs get attention.

Reverse harems have the same problems, but I hate them more due to the romanticized abuse.