Discussion Least Favorite Tropes?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ikhors, Apr 24, 2023.

1. ikhors

ikhors [ Servant Of Evil ]

Reading List:
    Link
    What's a trope you really really dislike and why

:blobcatpeekwall: I'm not really a fan of highschool student x teachers for obvious reasons
    I'm also not a fan of the "Ex-wife finally realizes her husband is trash then tries to leave but he realizes her worth and they talk a little bit and get back together" , though there are some exceptions i like tho. I enjoy these kind more when the effort to build an honest relationship is there.

There's also the soulmates trope... the idea of having no say in who you're supposed to spend your whole lifetime with sounds terrible!! Most of the time in the soulmates trope there are side affects like being unable to stay far from each other and something something. I prefer arranged marriage because atleast with that you're more in charge of your feeling but it's still eh

And lastly the bully x victim!! this one's kinda obvious too...

2. PepperCherry

PepperCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i also hate this:meowknife:

R*pe victim becomes lover

Getting together because they have a child from drunk encounter years ago and suddenly like each other is also annoying

Hebaj22, joey183, ludagad and 7 others like this.
  3. ikhors

Reading List:
    Link
    ugh Stockholm syndrome...

4. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's see ... least favourite trope huh?

I would say that I'm not a huge fan of those "more horror than romance" romance.

I've read a few where MC loses theur memories and scumbag ML tricks them into thinking they were in a relationship and they eventually fall in loved but MC recovers their memories, remembers what a scumbag ML was towards them and *drum roll* they still stay together ...

I've seen very similar amnesia tropes done well or at least alright (Where ML isn't scum and MC was in an difficult situation. ML took advantage of the situation to help... motivations are muddy but still) or MC didn't actually lose their memories and ML isn't scum, but they have were pinning for years

ikhors likes this.
  5. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Female on male r*pe being brushed off or shown as a gag.

msbwhy, ludagad, Steamc and 3 others like this.
  6. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mc learns their partner is trash so in the next life, they broke up with them and get together with this guy they used to ignore so they can use him for revenge or just revenge in general.

Mc who have too many love interest, it screams attention whore, pick me and indecisive.

Mc who pity themselves, but it's their pride, lack of communication and ignorance that puts them there. Stories with those mc usually have no character growth and blames everything on the ml while hating on the ml but still asking the ml to do something for them because they can't accept their lack of skills to live in this world aka okane ga nai vibe, a lot of korean novels and manhwa these days have such plots(maybe just for bl?)

ludagad and ikhors like this.
  7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a fan of most romance tropes, in terms of fantasy tropes, I can’t help but feel disappointed when an author has no creativity, that they rely too much on typical tropes like haughty elves and western fantasy and not focus on meta things

ludagad, Emma626 and ikhors like this.
  8. ikhors

Reading List:
    Link
    i think that's just something i see mostly in BL but i haven't read much BL manhwas/uas/gas lately so I don't know how it's doing. The genre feels like it's slowly spiraling downhill and i've been seeing the same pathetic cycle

Yeahh, I get that! Thas weirdly common too i noticed, to just not do world building and just use the blue print. I think it's a "well, that's there so i might as well use it" mindset. But I don't blame them, world building is so hard but it's the bare minimum for these kinds of tropes...

Emma626 and hypersniper159 like this.
  9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the liar reveal trope. It’s just so awful. It’s only there to facilitate the third act breakup, which I also usually hate. Is there any other reason it exists?!
    :sweating_profusely: Ahaha..ha… I actually love the soulmates idea, not as a trope, but as a genre. If I know that’s the type of story it is going into it, I love it. An almost guaranteed fluff story! Maybe some angst too, but it always gets resolved! …That being said… *sweats, sweats, sweats* I did write a super dark soulmates story where soulmates does not automatically mean “healthy relationship.” It was… terrible. (As in, the relationship was terrible. Extremely unhealthy. I think I did okay in the actual writing of it. You were not meant to root for the couple to stay together by any means.)
    +1000… unless it’s supposed to be dark. Then I can sometimes stomach it.

Emma626 and ikhors like this.
  10. cupboardbee

cupboardbee Not Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like fake relationship trope where the members of that partnership actually have someone else they like, or they're using it to make someone else jealous. It just feels like love triangle territory or two timing territory (because what if I ship the wrong pair, how will I be compensated :blobcry: :blobjoy:)
    Though I can pardon the trope if they use it to like avoid paying fees/ evade taxes. Or just not have other love interests at all.

Not a fan of any obviously adult x obviously a child """sh1ps""" I wish they would all crawl back to the dark ditch they all came from.. the word salad/ word gymnastics that the fans of this trope uses to make reason of it is laughable (actually there's 1 sh1p I like but im trying to not like it :blobconcerned:) (it's the evergarden one I know that's why I haven't watched the movie)

I hate that too.. the fluff or romance gets lost to me,, like its gonna happen anyway so I dont care for it.

ikhors likes this.
  11. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate when the ML acts like a stupid prick just because he's embarrassed by the FL
    Why can't he just act normal and stop making FL feel bad
    I hate when the FL leaves cuz ML is too trashy only to end up with him again
    This annoys me so much because I don't want FL to forgive since he treat her so bad
    I hate when FL tries to leave men behind and just relax without any love in her life but the stupid men come back and bother her
    I usually clicked on these stories cuz I didn't want any romance
    Very annoying
    I also hate yuri bait

I have so many hated love tropes that are only in BG

Also here is a thing for you to listen to so can focus

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    hcps-maia, Steamc and Emma626 like this.
  12. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When someone who has an absolutely shitty life gets isekai'ed gets a good life but tries to do everything to return to his/her original world.

2. When someone is super OP that he can destroy multiple countries with one attack but is afraid that governments will discover his powers.

3. When the MC bends over backwards to keep all of his enemies alive.

13. Giratina

Giratina Out of 31 cousins, I'm the 28th one...

Reading List:
    Link
    Parents x child
    It depends though... I don't like if their related by blood, but... If the kid is adopted then...:meowwhistle: And the age gap, I don't like big age gaps.

14. radivhexd

radivhexd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. HATE enemies to lovers most of the time!! I feel it can be executed well if enough care is put into it but most of the time it just goes by super fast tbh..
    2. parent or parental figure x child??? its icky AND a criminal offense in my book
    3. when a love interest clearly isn't interested but MC keeps pushing it! I get it's supposed to be a gag at times but most of it makes the MC seem like a creep.

15. Nia2760

Nia2760 ・❥・ꏂꂵꉣꋪꏂꇙꇙ ꄲꊰ ꉔꋬ꓄ꇙ ・❥・

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate step siblings trope its just not for like the person you view as a brother or a sister and then start to have romantic feelings for each other kinda grosses me out
    I also do not like where Fl is pregnant and ahe run aways because of ml is just not for me

16. hoexos

hoexos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ntr? rape? I also don't like fl going back to their cheaters after leaving them behind

17. Aqua_the_idiot

Aqua_the_idiot my decisions are justified by my name

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boi it's my time to shine
    1. Rape or Reverse Rape : Idc if it's done by FL or ML I am dropping it no matter how good the story is
    2. Step Sibling Relationships OR Half Siblings Relationships : ok first of all how the frick do you fall in love with someone who is viewed as brother/sister??? Sometimes I think the leads mistake the sibling love as romantic love because it's just disgusting. And about half siblings? I think its self explanatory
    3. Getting Back to the Cheater : Maybe the regression hurts the FL's brain which leads to this decision. FL's like this me feel smarter tbh
    4. Parental Figure being the Love Interest : Self Explanatory
    5. Harem or Reverse Harem : I just can't stand this genre because most of the time the protagonist is just using the interests and not loving them.
    6. The Protagonist just curses their Destiny without doing anything to change it : Even after doing everything and still being on the path of ruin then it's understandable for the protagonist to feel this way BUT not doing anything to change it and just crying and wanting the ML or someone to save them is just pathetic.
    7. TOO MUCH Miscommunication : I am immune to this genre BUT sometimes it just gets out of hand.
    8. Very large age gap between the leads : It's okay if the FL is an adult when they meet for the first time but the ML is a god who is watching the FL grow? umm I am calling the police.
    there are few more I can't remember lol will edit this when I do

18. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    When someone gets pregnant, as well as the forced marriage trope. Idk why I hate them, I just do

19. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the main trope I dislike most is the child trope where after the FL gets pregnant from one night stand, the child born always comes out as a mini ML clone with exact looks or with such extremely similar appearance and also personality with the ML, just so that the ML just needs to take a look at the child and can immediately guess the child is his biological child. I mean come one, where's the suspense if ML can easily find out the child's identity so quickly.

Also another trope I dislike in this child trope is where after running away, the FL got herself together a good life with the 2nd ML supporting her who is also such a good uncle to the child that child looks up to him as a father figure. Yet, when ML appears on the scene, the child magically feels a bond to ML and switch to trying to bring FL who is resistance to ML together to have a happy family. I would be like WTFF and then just drop the book on the spot.

Hebaj22 likes this.
  20. Lihua

Lihua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels where the male lead is obviously a piece of trash but somehow the author still decided to make him the male lead.

Novels where the ML rapes the MC (while being fully conscious himself and not drugged or anything) and it becomes justified in the name of love.

Novels where the ML belittles the MC in the beginning but then realizes the Mac's awesomeness and all and then ends up falling in love with the MC and the MC ends up with the ML (especially when there was more suitable options)