Discussion I'm interested in so many games that I can't seem to enjoy playing any of them.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Walter vi Britannia, May 25, 2023.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I got a new PC and downloaded a bunch of games that I previously didn't have access to. The problem is that while I'm playing one game I keep thinking about playing another game. I can't seem to completely invest myself into any single one of those games. Kinda wanna play them all at the same time or speed through them.

Does anyone know how I may be able to fix this problem?

2. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have only one game installed on your PC or at most two vastly different games. Uninstall the rest.
    Idk what kind of games you play or have. So, you'll have to decide that for yourself.

3. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that normal thing to do? Play one game then jump to another one?

4. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, but the last time I truly and deeply enjoyed myself while playing a videogame was when I felt like that was the only game I ever needed to play. I spent hours on the wiki reading lore, doing menial tasks in the world, and wasting hundreds of hours on the most tedious of achievements.
    Granted at the time it was probably the only decent game of its type that I had access to so I didn't have much of a choice.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that playing a game and being invested in a game is different. I want to be invested in the one I'm playing so that I can even power through the annoying parts without feeling like quitting. And these are all really highly rated games, the annoying parts are very few and far between.

5. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda get what you mean, you wanna get lost in a game, look up and it's been half a day already. I guess you can think of it like dating. You like the idea of the person a lot but can't help but notice some glaring issues when you're spending time with them, and can't help but think about the other cuties in your dms.

Anyways, Aniket already said the main option : install one game at a time and play one at a time. If you remove the temptation to immediately switch to another game, you might subconsciously give the game you're playing a better chance to get over the annoying parts.

Personally, I just have a ton of games installed anyways, and while I kinda get what you're experiencing, it's a bit different for me. For me, there is a certain amount of mental load for a lot of games that I know I have to put myself through to get past parts of the game (or the entire game). The problem with gaming atm is most of the good games are complex enough that you can't simply turn your brain off. This raises the bar to mental entry since you're not always up to challenge your mind for a significant period of time. It's not that they're particularly hard, but getting right back into a game you're used to vs giving a new system, a new feel a solid try requires a different amount of mental effort. That's why a lot of people end up simply sticking to a singular game and relying on that game to content update constantly so they'll have the familiarity as well as new things to do.

how does this relate to you? Well, if you want to finish your games, you might want to cultivate a mentality of these games being experiences. For example, novels, we're all here so we all read shitty trash novels that are fun, but you know are badly written, stretched out for little reason aside from monetization, etc. Treat your games like you do non-"light" novels (aka real books that have been properly edited and have a solid storyline planned from the getgo). Maybe it's comfortable opening up your phone and reading the latest chapter of the light novel you been reading for the past year, but does it ever compare to finishing a truly great book? these great books aren't perfect by any means, and sometimes there's humps you gotta get over, but if you remember that end feeling, you might be more motivated to stay on track. I'm in the process of wiring my brain to be able to switch from one to the other in gaming because my backlog is too big now, but I used to care about stretching out the experience as long as possible because good games were extremely rare back then.

anotherAniket likes this.
  6. harly brooke

harly brooke New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have no more than two wildly dissimilar games installed on your PC. Take the rest of it out.
    I have no idea what games you enjoy or own. Therefore, you must make that choice for yourself.

7. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. You made me realize that this is not a problem I have with novels so if there was a way I could see games the same way I see novels I would be able to accomplish that. The main difference here is that novels are super easy to access, and its easy to switch back and forth from novels to doing other tasks. Games are less so. So maybe I should work on finding a way to make games as easy to access as well. Maybe finally getting a second monitor and having the game run on one monitor all the time would help.

I somehow got myself invested in one game. But this game is considered by many to be the best game ever made (well, at least up until its sequel came out just last month).
    But I can't really be relying on masterpieces to keep me invested.

Also the game is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on an emulator btw. The other games were really varying in nature. Souls games like Sekiro, Resident Evil remakes, other emulated games like the Mario games, etc. All the best games of the last decade really.

8. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    could just be a personal taste issue then. Not everyone's going to jive with every style of game, so even if most people who play that game love it, most of those people were drawn in by what that game offers. Perhaps you just need to understand your own preferences in gaming better. Personally I bounceed off of BOTW (which is why I'm also skipping TOTK). Love the ideas they implemented, but for some reason, playing it wasn't as fun for me. I think for me, the full dungeon experiences in older zelda games were a big reason why I loved the franchise. And these little key reasons are why people like different games. "masterpieces" are a great way to gauge your own tastes though, so I don't think you're wasting money giving them a try. Just try to give them a fair try, and you might be pleasantly surpriised more often than not.