Recommendations Are there any good, NON-CLICHE stories?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Szara, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like 99% of chinese web novels out there start with transmigration/reincarnation. Usually some bad-ass from the present gets transported into the body of some dumbass from the past. The Main Character proceeds to defeat all his enemies with ease and have beautiful women lining up to fuck him left and right.

I'm looking to read something original. Preferably with NO transmigration/reincarnation/harem. Less than around 100 chapters total is ideal, unless it's really good to warrant the long length. (Why do so many mediocre stories have thousands of chapters?)

2. saekicchi

saekicchi (≧◡≦) ♡

Reading List:
    Link
  3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not since The Epic of Gilgamesh, everything after that has just been a poor cliched copy

4. MisterNoble

MisterNoble Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ex hero candidate

5. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    surprisingly Invisible Dragon doesnt have this
    wait. no. he's invisible so he cant and hes too awesome to reincarnate as a dumbass
    I recommend it! (y)

Westeller likes this.
  6. Alhana

Alhana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IRAS

7. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    even that since the are prior works(oral legends) that is lost in time.

8. yayayan22

yayayan22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Ysor

Ysor Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try reading release the witch but there's a bit of lacking in fighting scenes and it's more of city/kingdom management.

10. Fig pluckers son

Fig pluckers son Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Teddywonka

Teddywonka A wonka that wonks a wonk

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend this one.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/chronicles-of-primordial-wars/

MC is not hot blooded, arrogant, merciless dumb bastard
    And the society is compose of ....not medieval..not modern ..but STONE AGE!! Tribal society!
    And this is my first novel that i completed reading it using gogel translate

famous35 likes this.
  12. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    ZeTianJi obviously!

14. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your Invisible Dragon recommendation is all over the place.

15. Teddywonka

Teddywonka A wonka that wonks a wonk

Reading List:
    Link
    and that's why i love this novel ( one bullet in the head = kill). I am sick of chinese fighting styles (in today's novel okay) which are no different than sword dancing and all they do is just parrying swords or weapons. Real fight only takes a matter of seconds truth to be told. And i wonder whats the true purpose of their so called chuuni cultivation or techniques? for audience sake? = probably or to lengthen the novel = probably

16. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    No, people reuse plots all the time.

17. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly you gotta wonder why they don't try to through a little originality here and there.

Oh you have to write a story about a young cultivator rise to power?

Lets see every story so far starts out with crippled character, or a genius who became a cripple. Also more than half the time the character actually transmigrated or reincarnated into his current body after dying, and is actually a former expert immortal with tons of knowledge on cultivating.

Now how are you going to change his destiny from trash so that he can become an immortal?

Well most of the time he will have a stroke of great luck, finding a rare medicine to cure his trash body, or maybe an artifact with the soul of a god level cultivator inside. If you want you could go more straight forward and just make him find a super powerful cultivation technique that only he can practice because of his body's special constitution. Heck if you went the transmigrated or reincarnation route he could already know it from the start.

Once you got the growth part figured out you have to decide on some obstacles, something to the reader can cheer him on when he over comes them.

Now the bully route is the most obvious, he was already trash, so him being bullied should pretty much be a given. I mean granted in real life mocking someone for being crippled (because not being able to practice martial arts counts as being a cripple) is extremely taboo, and no decent human being with any self respect would do it. This is the cultivators would though screw logic.

Now once you got your bullies established you need to decide whether or not to do the self centered fiancee route. This is the girl the character was engaged too for whatever reason, that will dump him in a really condescending way. Of course this is so later when he is way stronger he can show her how wrong she was.

If you prefer a nicer path you want to go with the childhood sweetheart. This is the girl that has always stuck by the main character throughout his life, and doesn't judge him for being a cripple. What you want to do here is make it where every male in the city is trying to rape her. Of course this will never actually happen, because if she was raped she could no longer be with the protagonist. You know cause she would be dirty, and I'm not talking STD, but magical cultivator dirt that a girl gets if she has sex.

Okay so I'm starting to get tired, I had no idea when I started this post it would take me so long, I mean seriously is anyone even going to read this? Anyway the other obstacles are the rival clan, rival from the same clan, but is at a higher level in the sect, a tournament (you can actually mix that into the first two options.) That is all I can think of there is definitely more. What was the original purpose of this comment. I was agreeing with the OP about novels not being original, and trying to visualize the drafting process the author most go through before they start writing.

18. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Terror Infinity.

I personally don't care to read anything with less than 100 chapters. It's not worth the time or effort. Also, translators who try to make money wont pick something up to translate that can't last long.

19. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    Try Step Into The Past this novel is non cliche stories (y)