Laptop Advices

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Aure94100, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aure94100

Aure94100 French Cultivator from the No-Time Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all your advice.
    Do I need a gaming laptop to play minecraft without lags ?

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. Hmmmmm..
    Well at the very least make sure u choose your lappy with an i5 or better. More core, the better.
    *RAM : 4Gb (gamers want 8+)
    *latest graphic card if possible
    (Ex: Nvidia 900+) google for what is a good standard, even 930 and 940(i think?) is a great difference
    *Storage depends on you. Its size(HDD) vs speed(SSD).
    *Light depends on what you want to carry. My 17' inch, 2.4kg is about to be uncarriable, and 'just' fits my bag.

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. even a potato can run it.
    Even my old pc can run it, tho at low-mid settings...

4. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you gonna bring it everwhere with you or just game at home?

For home, just get a flat screen tv and hook it up to your tower.

Lie down on your bed and play like a b0ss.

5. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look for Clevo resellers in the USA.
    Or Fangbook.

Rule of the thumb:
    1. Invest in a laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 with USB type C combo port. Trust me on this. You will never regret this decision.
    2. Find a laptop where manufacturers won't be anal about you opening the backplate (because in some cases warranty will be voided even though you were only cleaning / upgrading RAM. Laptop maintenance is an art by itself.
    3. Don't go for 4k screens. Most are gimmicks (at least for laptops) and the GPU ain't good enough to cover it. 1080p screens are fine, and will shave off a lot of cost.
    4. Ask if RAM, HDD are changeable or upgradeable. This is important too. soldered on CPU and GPU is just fine, as long as you have a Thunderbolt 3 over USB C.

juniorjawz likes this.
  6. Amaterasu

Amaterasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes you need at least a 2500$ gaming laptop to run it on 30 FPS ..Btw i'm the queen of England.
    -
    Serious : Minecraft can actually run on every laptop ~ it doesn't have that much req , even my old pc ( 2002 ) with 1.2 ddr2 ram could run it.

Plus if you really want us to recommend you something then add a price range or a budget

7. maxalors99

maxalors99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    I would choose some kind of Asus

9. not_here

not_here Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's better to just build a PC if you want a gaming one, and buy a modest laptop for mobility...
    for minecraft and some small steam game, probably you need laptop with 2-3 gb ram, the graphic card doesn't matter (built-in graphic card can also do the work). And a multi-core processor.

10. Aeternelle

Aeternelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For Minecraft, if you're heavy with mods, I'd say you need at least 4 to 8GB on a 64 BIT SYSTEM (or else you couldn't even allocate the RAM you have) and a good cpu. Graphics are more-or-less important. If you want shader mods -> Build a PC.

I agree we'd need to see a price range or a budget, but I'll align with others and propose to you a Lenovo Thinkpad / Ideapad. I rock an E550 with an i7 core, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7M265 dedicated graphics found for around 600$ on Amazon: (15,6inch screen)
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-20DF0040US-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00SJ2G7UI

I play all my steam games just fine (Skyrim SE, Witcher 3, DotA2), Minecraft and everything is no problem :) I removed the CD player for an SSD drive though. Installed Windows on the SSD for quick bootup, but all my games run on my old HDD.

11. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    Most laptops these days don't have optical disc readers. Heck, most games aren't even fully installable off of disk anymore (like Fallout 4). So just get an external one for that.

My potato of a Surface Pro 3 can't run minecraft for s***. Believe me, I've tried.

I'm not 100% up to date with laptop specs, but the minimum requirements for good gaming are probably:
    • RAM: 8 GB+
    • Graphics: Dedicated graphics card, probably Nvidia (higher #s aren't always better, be sure to check testbench sites). The dedicated graphics card is important for high-end gaming because it handles the graphics processing itself, rather than making the main processor + RAM handle everything
    • Processor: i7 or better, I'd think (i5 is on the weaker side)
    • Main memory (hard drive): HDD if you don't want to break the bank, or a really small SSD
    • At least 2 USB ports, 3.0 if possible

I'm familiar with the following laptops:
    • Dell Inspiron: Fair in terms of power and value. Kind of expensive, but you get what you pay for. My dad has one for running VMs and programming on (he's a retired computer engineer, so he knew what he was looking for when he got it)
    • Lenovo Yoga: Good for casual use, but I'm not sure how powerful they are. My mom has one.
    • Lenovo Thinkpads: Good reputation as business laptops. Pretty good keyboards, but I'm not sure about the graphics. My sister was able to run multiple VMs at once on hers, and it's a few years old.
    • Alienwares: Great for gaming, but heavy and expensive. My main computer is an AW. I don't especially recommend getting one. It very rarely leaves my desk, and I'm planning on replacing it with an actual desktop as soon as I can afford to build one.
    • Microsoft Surfaces: Weaker, great for casual use but there's no way they can handle gaming. I have an older Surface Pro 3, which I use for web browsing and note taking for classes--but nothing else. My dad tried out a Surfacebook but returned it and got the Inspiron because it wasn't powerful enough for his VMs.

I'm not up to date on laptop specs since I'm in the desktop market right now, but these past few years they've been tending towards thin and not so powerful with the advent of SSDs. If you want power without breaking the bank, go with a PC.

12. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Just go with refurbish gaming laptop to save some money... How much is your budget anyway?

13. evilbaam

evilbaam Fat Sweaty Book Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    If your main preference is light and slim, then you have to go for Ultrabooks. But most the low cost ultrabooks wont have a dedicated graphics card other than Intel( which basically means most of mid-high end games wont work). If you are ok with this then
    1. Lenovo IdeaPad YOGA 2
    2. Dell Inspiron 14 7437
    are both good choices

If you want decent graphics card as well in an ultrabook then go for
    HP ENVY Touchsmart 14-k102tx

If you can manage with little heavier laptops with great gaming capabilities at decent price then look into Asus ROG laptops

14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest Lenovo

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    HP Dell and most laptops are white labels for their lower cost models.
    So it doesn't matter which you buy, they are probably from the same factory.
    Gaming laptops are getting cheaper. You can get one with a G force for around $500.

I have seen people playing Proevolution Soccer on a Windows tablet that cost under $100 on youtube. I would advice that if you are really on a budget, you can add a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
    If you cannot afford high end laptops then buy the cheapest.
    Mid range is a waste of money

16. Cancel

Cancel Procrastinator

Reading List:
    Link
    For slim, light and good battery life, go for ultrabooks. Their onboard graphic is already plenty enough for light games.
    I'm using an asus UX305UA. Not too expensive and pretty good imo, haven't had any problem so far.
    Link

17. Icha

Icha #googlemas #serius

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it true that Macbook is not for gaming?

18. Aeternelle

Aeternelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Macbooks can game. The main problem is: Compatibility. Just looking through Steam store and checking "Mac" shows you that a lot of great games don't offer Mac OS support.

PC Gamer did write an article on this: http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gamers-guide-to-gaming-on-a-mac/

CDLevit likes this.
  19. Robofs740

Robofs740 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I use right now is a Microsoft Surface Book. Also, I don't know too much about computers and such so, I'll give you information from my experience. (About those i5/i7 stuff I have no clue about what they do :p)

-Really thin and light
    -Really good battery (1 battery in tablet/screen and another one in the keyboard)
    -Decent at gaming (Minecraft on fast mode shouldn't give you any/much lag, though I haven't played it in a while) (Can run CS:GO with not too much lag with certain settings, Overwatch on low-medium quality [Got to platinum rankings +2500 on competitive during placement matches], and a bunch of other games with decent quality)
    -Windows
    -Screen is detachable and can be reversed and stuff
    -I got mine for about $1400, but I think I got mine during an event or something because I got a bunch of random stuff when I purchased it.
    -Touchscreen
    -Comes with a pen for the touchscreen

Cons:
    -If tip of the pen breaks, it can't be used
    -Pen runs on AAAA batteries (Where do you get them? Somewhere online. Though when my pen broke on the first day, I didn't even bother to get a new one or anything)
    -Friends say it's overpriced but I don't really care too much

20. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprising informative

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.