LCD Forty Millenniums of Cultivation

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Saint, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/forty-millenniums-of-cultivation/

Synopsis:
    It's a futuristic Xianxia novel! Pretty unique.

AkeShiro likes this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :coffee: so far it's interesting still I don't put much hope on it~
    well i still waiting his performance on current tournament arc~ I hope no I guess he will revenge to that young master this time

3. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Has the TL still kept all those westernized terms instead of the more easily recognizable CN terms we're all used to? I dropped it because I just couldn't get into it with the TL taking so many liberties.

I'm pretty sure this is the one where the MC was an orphan living in a trash dump and rescued an old man who paid for him to attend some advance school? MC also has dreams of a past life?

4. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Western terms suit this story much much better, at least when it comes to "present days" of MC, as this is a world that has turned cultivation into science...

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    see
    personally I don't mind it

6. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you mean here. Like the cultivation stages?
    If so, then yeah. The cultivation stages (revealed so far) are the pretty standard set of... Qi Refining 炼气 > Foundation Establishment 筑基 > Core Formation 结丹 > Nascent Soul 元婴 > Tribulation Ascension 渡劫 > True Immortal 真仙 .
    But for whatever reason, the "Core Formation" stage is being translated as "Orichalcum" and the "Nascent Soul" stage is being translated as "Monad".
    Yep! That's the one.

7. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I'm talking about... it's really odd and throws my interest out the window. This is a story with an MC that's obviously Chinese and a world that is mostly based on Chinese be it cultivation, race, or anything else. Yet the name for the schools, cultivation levels, the demon beast were named fiends at one point but since that didn't fit in a lot of context they decided to use them interchangeably... none of it was necessary and fills like the TL interfering with the authors work. The name changes alter the meanings of things as well as there are no perfect term translations that's suitable for capturing the real meaning.
    Western in a CN has no place at all as long as its based on cultivation and the origins of names...Primordial infant was turned into monad (wtf) Golden core turned into Orichalcum something that would never even appear in any CN (outside of Qihuan and RPG) because that was a western fantasy metal thought to have come from Atlantis... where as Gold is very much involved in cultivation and Daoist elements. If you take out the golden core (Ji Dan) then how the hell is this a CN novel?

• Spirit energy -> essence (depending on context) - (why is this changed? How many novels have Spirit energy?)
      • Parallel Class -> Ascending Class (The kids are in the same class but aren't treated the same but they aren't above the other, they are equal but not together so the first was a better representation.)

• Spirit Base Opening Degree -> Spirit Actualization Quotient (the new term is more complicated then the original)

• Demonic Blade Peng Hai -> Fiend Blade Peng Hai (Fiend instead of Demon? They just revert back to Demonic beast and the person is demonic in text cause Fiend and fiendish aren't applicable in context)

• Crystal Brain -> Crystal Processing Unit (Does sound more tech-ish but the original sounds fine as well and would save on time just leaving it as is)
    This novel isn't Qihuan it is Xianxia/Xuanhuan right?

DubZer0 likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    :whistle: I just need to rewrite my memory about term that used~ and not think it as Cn or KR or JP or whatever :whistle:
    that help a lot on reading thing:whistle:

9. SinsI

SinsI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please, reread the very first chapter. You have spaceships depositing debris on a planet - doesn't it sound like Sci-Fi to you? You have holographic idols, you have virtual combat simulators, you have high speed trains...

And the changes are FAR from being pointless: things like Actualization Quotient are much more scientific than "Base Opening Degree".
    The world is where cultivation became science - it is definitely NOT Chinese, especially the historical Chinese, so ancient terms would and should be changed to a more modern - and precise - terms and definitions, which would make them much more western.

The only thing Chinese aside the whole concept of "cultivation" in this story is the character names, and even that is not that certain (perhaps they should be translated?).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Luffy1996, Risus and ScotlandForsythe like this.
  10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    It is sci-fi but that doesn't stop it from being cultivation... I wasn't referring to historical cultivation there are plenty of modern and future cultivation novels out there that use science as a premise. You seem to be hung up on Sci-fi as an excuse to change what the author wrote as something else by the TL.

I think it's pointless to continue this.

11. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, Big Dong's biggest problem with culture cultivating women is that he has to treat them with respect? Yeah, I really don't like him. Hopefully he gets himself killed, or otherwise permanently removed from the story, soon.

I like a well built world as much as the next person, but this is seriously starting to drag at this point. We really don't need to know about all the colleges he's not going to join at this point in the story, nor their research that's unlikely to ever become relevant.

12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling that Li Yao will be attending The Grand Desolate War Institution, but I don't know why he would when its so far removed from his goal.

13. LPdC_Nazgul

LPdC_Nazgul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because some shitty school kidnaped him. I think im dropping it :/

14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, it looks like he might get "volunteered" into the school ;)

I'm hoping it doesn't happen though. I'd rather read about a crafter than a fighter who could have been a galaxy class crafter but wound up becoming a muscle-headed fighter instead.
    There's still some hope of him not joining. Though yeah, the odds aren't good.

LPdC_Nazgul likes this.
  15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, he's definitely going to join. I hope that the reason is at least something like "he fought like a barbaric body cultivator during the trial, he's not suited to be an Artificer" or something. Him suddenly changing his mind for no reason would make no sense and her sabotaging his admission to the other school would just make me angry.

Also hoping that, even at that school, he'll still pursue crafting. After all, if he can make artifacts that can survive in that environment, that alone would be enough to make him a famous Artificer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I wonder if something will happen to convince the scout that the MC didn't fix the heat sink himself. If not, I can't really think of a reason for them not to take the MC. Maybe if Stalker Maniac was better connected, he could interfere, but I think its been made pretty clear that he's only well connected within their own, relatively small city.

I also find it hard to believe that his artificer skills would be better than the MC's to the extent that they'd have to be for him to level an ultimatum to keep the MC from being recruited, or to protect his father from the backlash from the sect if he were to so openly suppress a fellow student, and by extension, the sect.

The teacher for Body Builder U is also super new to her job, so she shouldn't have much clout to warn off other universities. Not unless there's some sort of traditional rule that the first person to stake a claim to a student gets them uncontested anyway. If that were the case, I think I might rage quit the series.

Edit: It just occurred to me that she might decide to say that Stalker Maniac was the one that did the repair so that he'll be strongly recruited by Deep Sea U while she goes to a completely different school to get away from him. I really hope she doesn't do that though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It would seem that I have done her an injustice. She didn't even hesitate to tell the truth and help him out. I like her more already. It would be nice if the two of them got together and opened an intergalactic corporation selling his various inventions. As an admin type, she would be perfect for actually running the thing.

I'm glad there's no tradition of "claiming students without their consent." Though, once again, it makes it even harder to understand how he could wind up a school other than Deep Sea U. Maybe this "loophole" he plans to exploit will actually make him undesirable in DSU's eyes somehow?

18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if he's planning to set up shop. If so, I wonder if the modification he made as a trap to kill the wielder on command, and if such a modification would disqualify him in the eyes of the recruiters.

If he's not planning to sell them though, then I wonder why he needs so many different weapons. Honestly, any weapon should be fine for someone as strong as him, so long as it can make use of that strength.

Hexwolfx likes this.
  19. Alverost

Alverost Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if he does join, he follow the path of improving the school with his dao path (crafting). However I think following this path would incur a lot of fighting since it would go against other cultivator's path. Truthfully, the two path in-front of him makes it so interesting because this is one of his biggest life decision that would change his whole life.

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I was expecting a better offer from Deep Sea U. They want him as an Artificer and he's already shown them everything they could want from a future artificer in terms of practical skills and creativity.