Comments on Profile Post by Fluffinya

1. Recouer
    Recouer
    depends what level, high school or college ?
    Mar 14, 2018
  2. Recouer
    Recouer
    anyway i'll say everything i know..
    so as for the exact reason of why light is diffused when going through an aperture with the dimension near its wavelength, it is due to a phenomenon analogous to refraction, because when light go through an atom, there is a difference in its environment that will deviate its trajectory.
    Mar 15, 2018
  3. Recouer
    Recouer
    however, i would not be able to explain you in details how it works for now as i'm not well versed in this subject.
    Mar 15, 2018
  4. Recouer
    Recouer
    now, for the interference figures, it is due to the superposition principle that allows you to sum the value of 2 wave.
    Mar 15, 2018
  5. Recouer
    Recouer
    however, just saying that won't help much. thus, let's define the physical properties of a wave, a wave is dependant of time and space, what i mean by that is that its value (in volt) will change depending on where it is and when you mesure.
    Mar 15, 2018
  6. Recouer
    Recouer
    thus we will determine the value of our wave so:
    A(x,t)=Amax*cos(w*t+k*x+P) or
    A(x,t)=Amax*exp(i(w*t+k*x+P))
    where
    Amax is the Amplitude of the wave
    w its wavepulse (w = f/2*pi)
    k its wave vector (k = c/w)
    P the origin phase
    c the celerity of the wave
    Mar 15, 2018
  7. Recouer
    Recouer
    now let's go back to what i said earlier: using the superposition principle, we add two wavelength. to simplify the equation, let's say that we take x=0 and P=0. thus we have 2 waves A1 and A2 of pulsation w1 and w2 respectively
    Mar 15, 2018
  8. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    omo thank u
    Mar 15, 2018
  9. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    i finally understood
    Mar 15, 2018
  10. Recouer
    Recouer
    what did you not understand btw ?
    Mar 15, 2018
  11. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    i skipped classes the day when tchr taught diffraction.
    Mar 15, 2018
  12. Recouer
    Recouer
    well if i can give you a tip, try to learn by hearth the relations as soon as possible as to not forget them, the rest, it's just trigonometry and logic~
    Mar 15, 2018
  13. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    I'll try my best i'm good in math or physics
    Mar 15, 2018
  14. Recouer
    Recouer
    btw if you wanna hear my explanation on interference, i'm only halfway through
    Mar 15, 2018
  15. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    If you want to ^_^
    Mar 16, 2018
  16. Recouer
    Recouer
    so from where i left, using the superposition principle and x=0:
    Atot(0,t)= A1*cos(w1*t + P1) + A2*cos(w2*t + P2)
    however, our eyes cannot perceive the variation of light over time but rather its average value, it's average value being sqrt(<Atot²>)
    sqrt: square root
    < .. >: the integer from 0 to T of a function divided by T with T=2pi/w1 or w2
    Mar 16, 2018
  17. Recouer
    Recouer
    the reason i use Atot² in the < .. > instead of Atot is because we need the absolute value of the integer as otherwise, <Atot>=0, it's a sinusoidal function after all !!
    thus, we get :
    Atot(0,t)²=A1²*cos²(w1*t + P1) + A2²*cos²(w2*t + P2) + A1*A2*cos(w2*t + P2)*cos(w1*t + P1)
    we have <cos²>=1/2 and:
    cos(a)*cos(b) = (1/2)*(cos(a+b)+cos(a-b))
    Mar 16, 2018
  18. Recouer
    Recouer
    thus we get:
    A1*A2*cos(w2*t + P2)*cos(w1*t + P1) = 0.5*A1*A2*(cos((w1 + w2)*t +P1+P2) + cos((w1 - w2)*t +P1-P2)
    thus, we get <cos((w1 + w2)*t +P1+P2)>=0 no matter what.
    however, if w1=w2, we have cos((w1 - w2)*t +P1-P2) = cos(P1-P2)
    and since it is constant over time, <cos(P1-P2)> = cos(P1-P2)
    thus we get :
    <Atot(0,t)²>=(A1² + A2²)/2 + A1*A2cos (P1-P2)
    Mar 16, 2018
  19. Recouer
    Recouer
    now we will simplify the equation by saying A1=A2=A and P1-P2 = Pd
    thus we get:
    <Atot(0,t)²>= A(1 + cos(Pd)) where Pd is the phase difference between the 2 waves, it s basically what you get when you diffract light coming from the same lightsource using 2 apertures, in fact, since it comes from the same lightsource, they both have the same wavelength, thus w1=w2 is repected
    Mar 16, 2018
  20. Recouer
    Recouer
    and then since the do not take the same route to a given point, they also do not have the same initial phase, thus the phase difference will vary depending on what point you take in the screen.
    Mar 16, 2018
  21. Recouer
    Recouer
    now, how do we find the fringe spacing?
    for that, we'll need to find the difference P=P1-P2.
    to find that value, we'll need to find the difference in traveled distance between the 2 waves.
    so we'll need to introduce new value:
    a: the spacing between the 2 apertures
    L: the distance between the apertures and the screen
    x: the vertical coordinate of any given point on the screen
    Mar 16, 2018
  22. Recouer
    Recouer
    now, we assume that the line that goes through the 2 apertures is parallel to the screen, we take the origin of our frame of reference between the 2 apertures and orient it as you please.
    we now need to find the difference in distance traveled to find the phase difference between the two waves.
    Mar 16, 2018
  23. Recouer
    Recouer
    so for the wave that comes from the aperture below, the distance traveled is:
    on the X axis, it is x+a/2
    on the Y axis, it is L
    to find the distance traveled, we use Pythagoras theorem:
    D = sqrt( X² + Y²)
    thus we get:
    D1 = sqrt( (x +a/2)² + L²) then, for the other aperture:
    D2 = sqrt( (x- a/2)² + L²)
    Mar 16, 2018
  24. Recouer
    Recouer
    we now have to find the difference between the 2 values, for that, we'll have to do a Taylor expansion of the 2 values:
    D1 = L* (1 + ((2*x + a) / (2*L))² )**(1/2) ~~ 1 + L*(2*x + a)² / (2*L)²*(1/2)
    we now have:
    D1 = 1 + (4*x²) / (4*L) + (2*x*a / 4*L) + ( a/ 2*L)²
    or, ( a/ 2*L)² << 1 thus,
    D1 ~= 1 + (4*x²) / (4*L) + (2*x*a / 4*L²)
    Mar 16, 2018
  25. Recouer
    Recouer
    D2 = L* (1 + ((2*x - a) / (2*L))² )**(1/2) ~~ 1 + L*(2*x - a)² / (2*L)²*(1/2) thus:
    D2 ~= 1 + (4*x²) / (4*L) - (2*x*a / 4*L)
    we now need to find the difference between the 2 values:
    D1 - D2 = 1 + (4*x²) / (4*L) + (2*x*a / 4*L²) + ( a/ 4*L) - (1 + (4*x²) / (4*L) - (2*x*a / 4*L))
    D1 - D2 = (x*a) / L
    Mar 16, 2018
  26. Recouer
    Recouer
    now let's see the relations we have:
    w = f / 2*pi
    f = c / lambda
    thus to find the relation between the phase difference and the distance traveled, we do:
    ((D1-D2) / lambda) * 2 * pi = phase difference
    ... well the relations earlier are kinda useless
    Mar 16, 2018
  27. Recouer
    Recouer
    so Pd = x*a*2*pi / L*lambda
    and the distance between two luminous fringe is the distance needed for cos(Pd) to be equal to 1 so:
    cos(Pd) = 1
    <=> Pd = 2*k*pi with k a real number
    <=> x*a*2*pi / L*lambda = 2*k*pi
    <=> x = L* k * lambda / a
    <=> x =L* lambda / a for the difference between 2 fringes
    Mar 16, 2018
  28. Recouer
    Recouer
    also, the <=> symbol is the symbol for the equivalent in france i don't know if you have the same where you are.

so.. that concludes my demonstration, now if you want to impress your physics teacher, you can learn that by hearth and show it to him XD
    because, well i did write this without even looking at my lesson *proud*
    Mar 16, 2018
  29. Recouer
    Recouer
    and if you don't understand everything don't hesitate to ask me some questions as i did not explain every details ( notably the Taylor expansion, which is a math problem) and i know it can be confusing for someone who's never seen it beforehand
    Mar 16, 2018
  30. Fluffinya
    Fluffinya
    she'll be impressed because the only thing im good at is memorizing
    Mar 17, 2018
  31. Recouer
    Recouer
    try to make a sketch of the situation btw but i think it's the same than the one you see in class.
    Mar 17, 2018