Comments on Profile Post by BB_Tensei

1. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    Well, actually specifically about writing, as part of interactive works. If anything, maybe the future of writing is in the scope of interactive media, and activities. Usually you'd consider video game writing to be THE example, but there's gamebooks and roleplaying games, as another example. Even a piece of art with a puzzle in the form of text is a form of interactive literature.
    May 20, 2018
  2. Femme Fatale
    Femme Fatale
    All writing is interactive. :)
    May 20, 2018
  3. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    That's not a useful scope, though. You can claim that all art is interactive, because it requires you to take action in your mind to interpret and experience and/or understand the text, but I try to constrain the concept in the boundaries of something requiring at least either mental effort, or physical action, if not both.
    May 20, 2018
  4. Femme Fatale
    Femme Fatale
    Ah you want to be serious about this discussion....is this homework? *nudge* I was having a philosophical discussion, not constructing a paper etc.

Personally, I think what I say is the crux of it, All writing is interactive, but what you want to focus on is the future trends that interaction will take. That is your introduction or first chapter, depending on what it is you are wanting to write.
    May 20, 2018
    BB_Tensei likes this.
  5. AliceShiki
    AliceShiki
    Uhn... I don't think conventional writing will ever die, but interactive writing is definitely growing...

Hmmmmmm... The scope and definition though? It's a bit too vague, I don't think I can answer that... I guess you can consider interactive writing as anything in which the decision-making of the story flow isn't limited to the production team?
    May 20, 2018
    BB_Tensei likes this.
  6. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    @Femme Fatale Not doing a paper, but a personal project containing such writing, instead. Since I want to do something original, I figured I'd use something smarter than just a flow chart of a story. However I realised my understanding on the subject is vague, therefore a discussion, until I get an idea or two.
    May 21, 2018
    AliceShiki likes this.
  7. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    @AliceShiki I like that definition. Then if the usual method to provide agency to the reader/player, how do you, as a person who has experiened such works, understand and navigate the story in your mind?
    May 21, 2018
  8. AliceShiki
    AliceShiki
    I think you need to play well with choices and illusion of choice~

As in, giving multiple choices that will reach the same outcome in the end, but making sure part of their choices will actually be meaningful.

The illusion of choice serves to make sure your reader feels like their choices are important for the most part, while the real choices are well... The real charm of the thing~
    May 21, 2018
    BB_Tensei likes this.
  9. AliceShiki
    AliceShiki
    Just... Excess of illusion of choice can be pretty bad... So you need to be careful with it.
    May 21, 2018
    BB_Tensei likes this.
  10. Femme Fatale
    Femme Fatale
    Sounds like you have a system. Good luck. :)
    May 21, 2018
    BB_Tensei likes this.
  11. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    Ok, but how do you interact with an interactive story beyond making decisions? In a game, you'd have the gameplay itself and the environment to provide further actions and content you can immerse yourself in actively, instead of just percieving it, but beyond that what is the abstract thing you construct in your mind about the story? What about how a character exists in your mind?
    May 21, 2018
  12. AliceShiki
    AliceShiki
    Honestly...? I have no idea, it's a bit beyond me to answer that...
    May 21, 2018
  13. BB_Tensei
    BB_Tensei
    Well, food for thought that. Thanks, still. :D
    May 21, 2018
    AliceShiki likes this.