Arcturus
Money:
$71,592
Reading List:
Link
Busy

Arcturus

Cat, Hidden Sith Lord, from On top of your head

Wow. It's been a long while since I've been here. Almost a year and a half. Don't know if anyone who cares will see this. But I'm alive. Jun 19, 2022

1. Arcturus
      Arcturus
      Some time in the next week or two, I want to get around to reviewing Infigeas and Epilogue. Both are pretty good and you should read them.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. A5G_Reaper
        A5G_Reaper
        I'm still not sure if it's worth it following ongoing stuffs.
        Jan 4, 2019
      3. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        Infigeas is about 3.5-4 stars imo. Epilogue is 4.5. Not sure if that comparison helps or not. Infigeas is interesting for a VRMMO, but it hasn't developed enough that I can really say whether it's must-read. It hasn't gotten far past the first major story-arc honestly
        Jan 4, 2019
        A5G_Reaper likes this.
      4. A5G_Reaper
        A5G_Reaper
        Hmm, shelved for later to me. I've read Epilogue. It's very well done.
        Jan 4, 2019
    2. Arcturus
      Arcturus
      Well I guess I likely won't log into tumblr again.
      2. CDLevit
        CDLevit
        The fact that you can choose not to be with the person you love, the fact that you can choose not to choose or to change your behaviour.

As for that relationship with something like a God etc. that's something different.. .and I'm interested in talking about human love, about 'laic'/wordly love. Though the comparations is interesting.
        Dec 4, 2018
      3. CDLevit
        CDLevit
        It made me remember what a teacher wrote, I think that It was Kidd "we learn everything, to be friends, to be lovers, to be parents, to be siblings" - the quote's written from memory and it isn't true to it's form.

As a person 'grows', he/she'll reestablish his/her own inner world. That means that, as a person 'grows', he/she'll be subjected to posible changes.
        Dec 4, 2018
        Nom de Plume likes this.
      4. CDLevit
        CDLevit
        I'll borrow two words from your last post and combine them to form 'stagnancy in growth' - that's what can destroy a relationship. And, the time spent while being in love is also a type of growth.

Hm, I feel that I'm going haywire so.. I'll stop here.

Thank you, Femme Fatale & Acturus for the chance to have this conversation.
        Dec 4, 2018
    3. Westeller
      Westeller
      The Mageborn series is nice. It's not exceptionally well written, but has a certain flippance that I appreciate.
      2. Westeller
        Westeller
        No, there's no LitRPG at all. It's just fantasy. But the general style of the story is like Arcane Emperor. ... It's hard to articulate. It just feels like the same kind of story.
        Dec 14, 2018
      3. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        I haven't read arcane emperor in forever so there really could be more similarities. I barely remember details of the plotline, just that I stopped around ch 40
        Dec 14, 2018
      4. Blitz
        Blitz
        the writing style is a bit of a mess and it can be quite cliche but its a decent time waster from what I remember
        Dec 14, 2018
    4. Westeller
      Westeller
      Another series I'm late to, I've just finished Assassin's Apprentice. Farseer.... T'was not what I was looking for, really, in terms of magic. At least this first book. But I kept reading it anyway. It was... interesting. Somehow a bit difficult to read for hours on end, though.
      1. Westeller
        Westeller
        Dry? No.. No, it had tasteful humor and was entertaining. Maybe it was just the style. Somehow. It took me longer than it should have, anyway, and I kept looking up from it, to find something else to do for a bit.

Despite that, I did like it.
        Nov 30, 2018
      2. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        Yeah Assassin's apprentice isn't the most magic heavy that's for sure. Magic obviously plays a major role, but a long-running story arc throughout the various series is that we're seeing the return of magic from almost disappearing.
        Dec 14, 2018
        Westeller likes this.
    5. Westeller
      Westeller
      I just read Nine Princes in Amber. ... It was appallingly mediocre and the author's reputation is completely undeserved. I mean, the story was okay as a concept, but the flow of it was just bad. I could have been reading a chinese webnovel, for all the quality it had.
      2. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        I remember it being kinda bad. But then again, it could have been like Eragon where I was immensely disappointed in comparison to the book
        Nov 24, 2018
      3. Westeller
        Westeller
        Immensely disappointed is an understatement for the Eragon movie.
        Nov 24, 2018
        Arcturus likes this.
      4. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        Yeah, but it wasn't as bad as the movie we do not speak about, so it's at least not at the bottom of the barrel
        Nov 24, 2018
    6. Das
      Das
      Boo!
      2. Das
        Das
        Aye it sure has, time is having no mercy on us
        Nov 21, 2018
      3. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        A year and a half since I last changed...I should probably change a little bit
        Nov 22, 2018
      4. Das
        Das
        Add a something festive to it, like a Christmas hat or something
        Nov 22, 2018
    7. Arcturus
      Arcturus
      1. 911 likes this.
    8. Loni4ever
      Loni4ever
      You know, when I saw your small avi on my screen before, it always looked like a building at the beach, e.g. a castle... and I still subconsciously think that. Time and time again, clicking on your name and seeing what your avi's really made of gives me a surprise :'D
      1. Arcturus and LaDyViL like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        I may be missing a couple. I remember when I last counted, epi reminded me of a couple I had forgotten
        Nov 19, 2018
        Ruyue likes this.
      4. Archaic pickle
        Archaic pickle
        I'm not counting ones done as dares lol...
        Nov 19, 2018
      5. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        I've never allowed anyone to change my avi on a dare. Though I did include the avi change due to losing Russian Roulette
        Nov 19, 2018
        Archaic pickle likes this.
    9. Westeller
      1. Lovely, Arcturus and Femme Fatale like this.
      3. Westeller
        Westeller
        Ma'am, I'm telling you that I cannot withdraw funds from one account to transfer them to another. The Bank's policy is very clear. If you must insist, I can only redirect you to our main branch.
        Nov 18, 2018
      4. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        As the Headquarters of the Bank of Arcturus, I'm merely requesting a movement of physical cash liquidity to our location.
        Nov 18, 2018
        Lovely likes this.
      5. Westeller
        Westeller
        A withdrawal of that money is simply not possible, no matter how you or your lawyers phrase it. Please trust me, ma'am; we have the world's best legal team on hand to ensure the absolute safety of your funds.
        Nov 18, 2018
    10. SpearOfLies
      SpearOfLies
      *prepares chicken for you*
      1. Lovely likes this.
      2. Lovely
        Lovely
        O.O
        and me Q.Q
        Nov 11, 2018
      3. Sabruness
        Sabruness
        *raids the place, steals all of the chickens then flees the scene hidden by confusion grenades* 'Left written on the wall, in giant letters, is a message *Westeller was here*
        Nov 11, 2018
        Lovely likes this.
      4. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        *devours @Westeller *
        He is a meatbun at heart after all
        Nov 18, 2018
        Lovely likes this.
    11. Ai chan
      1. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        Is that supposed to be you? I didn't realize you were a loli
        Nov 11, 2018
        Lovely likes this.
      2. Lovely
        Lovely
        i think that is you
        Nov 11, 2018
    12. GonZ555
      GonZ555
      *feed the pizza head kitty some pizza*
      1. Lovely and Ruyue like this.
      3. Archaic pickle
        Archaic pickle
        This means war bun bun |.-)
        Nov 6, 2018
        GonZ555 likes this.
      4. GonZ555
        GonZ555
        Bring it~
        :P
        Nov 6, 2018
      5. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        *devours pickle*
        *Continues to follow and stare hungrily at meatbun*
        Nov 6, 2018
        GonZ555 likes this.
    13. SpearOfLies
      SpearOfLies
      I hate the discord tag everyone. If they want to watch a movie together, can they just make a tag and put it on who is interested? It's so annoying I need to scroll and mute button doesn't do anything. *puts Arc on his head and recharge energy*
      1. Nahrenne
        Nahrenne
        Or...you could just disable the @everyone notification in your settings.
        X
        Nov 4, 2018
      2. Refan25
        Refan25
        Welp souds tough "Ganbatte!" hooman. ʕ•̫͡•ʔ♡*:.✧
        Nov 4, 2018
      3. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        *Pat's head and goes back to sleep*
        Nov 5, 2018
    14. Arcturus
      Arcturus
      It appears someone bought me a devil chicken
    15. SpearOfLies
      SpearOfLies
      *hugs*
      1. SquadCammander354 likes this.
      3. SpearOfLies
        SpearOfLies
        *sings*~
        Oct 22, 2018
        SquadCammander354 likes this.
      4. Nahrenne
        Nahrenne
        *records and sends to an entertainment agency*
        X
        Oct 22, 2018
      5. Ruyue
        Ruyue
        *Watches video after it airs* lol
        Oct 22, 2018
    16. SpearOfLies
      SpearOfLies
      *patpat*
      1. Ruyue, Arcturus and Lovely like this.
      3. SpearOfLies
        SpearOfLies
        *massages*
        Oct 3, 2018
        Lovely and Ruyue like this.
      4. Lovely
        Lovely
        *nom fish happily* nya~
        Oct 4, 2018
        Arcturus likes this.
      5. SpearOfLies
    17. A5G_Reaper
    18. Nahrenne
      Nahrenne
      *strokes your back*
      X
      1. Arcturus likes this.
      3. Nahrenne
        Nahrenne
        Mmnh~
        Naughty kitty~
        X
        Sep 25, 2018
        Arcturus likes this.
      4. Accidentally
        Accidentally
        Free times does taste good
        Sep 25, 2018
      5. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        *sticks out tongue*
        Now back to sleep
        *dozes off*
        Sep 25, 2018
        Nahrenne likes this.
    19. Arcturus
      Arcturus
      You know what would be nice? if we had one of those amazing NUF High School Mafia games again. They were true classics.
      1. A5G_Reaper
        A5G_Reaper
        Oct 3, 2018
        AliceShiki likes this.
    20. Westeller
      1. SquadCammander354 likes this.
      3. SquadCammander354
      4. Arcturus
        Arcturus
        ...You don't even get the reference
        Sep 16, 2018
        Westeller and SquadCammander354 like this.
      5. SquadCammander354
        SquadCammander354
        I know I don't, that why I posted what I thought worked for me~
        Sep 16, 2018
  • About

Busy
    *sleeps*

Signature

PA
    1. Talenel (Tal) Elin
    2. Human
    3. 24
    4. Male
    5. A Young prodigy who came from a family that is heavily involved in industry, namely Kova World (not as elites or very wealthy). His mother also was a gifted engineer specializing in nanotechnology particularly with regard to robotics. After his prodigious intellectual talents and dedication to research were recognized, he was sent to Arch Education to develop his potential fully, as well as keep abreast of the trends in research for Kova, as an industry spy, since his family was a well-regarded and respected one in the company. Unfortunately for the management at Kova, Tal proved to care little about the "business" side of the reasons he was sent there and after funding his education with no gain, they cut him off and told him to return to the corporation. Arch was happy though to provide space for him to learn more and research under their watch, and Tal would work on whatever took his fancy, frequently aiding corporate rivals of Kova. He eventually became one of their finest and youngest postdoctoral students in Mechanical Engineering. That is until Tal came upon a strange man from another world. He had a few pieces of machinery that were unlike anything Tal had ever seen, automata that couldn't possibly work or do the things they did. Some of them which strangely seemed .... alive. This masked man left one of the more unique pieces, a spider named Spindel with a seeming intellect and other odd capabilities, as a gift for young Tal, who quickly became obsessed with this piece and the arcana by which it seemed to run. Unfortunately, this is where his downfall began. Where before Tal worked on projects that while esoteric, were still approved by Arch and frequently quite lucrative, he now devolved into working on this new unapproved project. And, even worse, after over two years of costly tests Tal had little progress to show for his fascination and was told by his supervisors that he had to give up his "hobby" and get back to "real research." Thinking to call their bluff, given the great research he had done over the past several years prior, he threatened to leave. However, it was all too easy for them to show him the door. Suddenly, largely destitute, with few friends/acquaintances, Tal found himself alone and homeless. He did manage to "procure" several of the smaller pieces of his research, including his companion, Spindel, before being forced out, vowing to prove himself before all those who doubted him and the validity of his backwards-seeming research. Settling down in District 11 among the industrial squalor, he remembers the final cryptic words that strange masked man told him before he left, "When you need assistance and are struggling to take the next step, go to the Prometheus Agency. You'll find what you're looking for there."
    6. Clockwork Researcher
    7. Occult(1)
    8. A thin and lithe young man of about 5'10" who is not one to shy away from getting his hands dirty, though by no means an athlete. Has a rather...strange style of dress which can be downright weird when his imagination takes him. Some examples:
      Normal (ish, he's still wearing a blindfold for no reason at all):[​IMG]Weird:[​IMG]
    9. Arrogant, yet insecure. Stubborn. Obsessed with his art/science and the fine line between the two that is his arcane studies. Very stubborn. Hates the mainstream. Ornery. Very curious. There's more to him, but a private man doesn't leave his whole personality out there.
    10. Agency Point: 0
    Also his spider Spindel is mostly just a sentient clockwork spider (about the size of a man's hand) and is probably the strangest and most powerful/versatile tool he has. It can't talk (yet?), but it communicate through gestures and such and can do cool spider-like things with some other minor abilities. He also has some other clockwork devices, namely his mask that lets him see the flow of magic through things and a gauntlet that enhances his grip strength and has some minor enhancements to climbing allowing him to reach places he otherwise could not.
    Name: Selvia Nilrem
    Race: Elf
    Class: Arcanist
    She is an elf. Let us say this, that she is dark haired, with a tint of red with her hair being long and straight, though it typically was in a bun. Say that she has verdant green eyes and bronzed skin from travel. Say that she is poised and graceful. Say she is gentle and curious like the wind and quick to tempest when angered, like the storm.

Say also that she currently could use a bath and a good night's sleep.
    Weapon: A well-used dagger that has cut more food and wood then people
    Armor: Her clothes could stop a very weak arrow maybe?
    Coins; 93 Large Copper, 6 Small Copper
    Detect Magic: The most important skill for any aspiring researcher of magic. As long as she is concentrating she can almost always detect sources of nature magic within 30 feet. She can do similar with arcane magic, but only for things she is touching. Other types of magic are very hit or miss with odds of detection varying due to distance, mental fatigue, and difficulty of magic.

Mana Shield: A weak Magical shield, it will nonetheless be able to stop an arrow or basic attacks. The spell is stationary, but can be nullified by the user to cause deflections. She is constantly tweaking the spell trying to find more improvements.

Magic Arrow: The classic magic missile in arrow form for extra piercing.

Animal and Plant Friendship: She has learned to communicate with animals and plants and befriend them if they are in a good mood and willing to do so. They could give information or say a piece of fruit, but will not do anything that will have risk of significant harm without corresponding benefit for themselves.

Lesser Healing: A magical healing that enables the body to grow and heal faster. This takes from both the user’s body and the caster. It will not do enough healing to fully repair anything significant, but it will help in hastening the recovery.

Entangle: In areas where plants can grow and there are also seeds, she can cause plants to grow and grasp things of her choice. This is frequently used to entrap enemies/dangers. However, Selvia is very adept at this spell and, with enough concentration and time, can even get her plants to perform tasks requiring fine motor skills. Her plants’ unnatural growth comes with an equally unnatural lifespan, lasting no longer than an hour.

Spell Adaptation: More than anything else, Selvia is a researcher and will frequently make minor adaptations to spells to make them more versatile and use them in a seemingly off the cuff manner due to her significant knowledge about how what she is doing works.

Plague Spells: Has become vaguely familiar with spells about plagues. Not an expert, as the cats would attest to.
    Adventurer's badge
    Large bag of seeds
    A very small pouch with a few tablespoons of silver powder
    A dagger, whetstone, 1 small mana potion. a length of rope, flint, water skin
    Clad in well-made travelers clothes and sturdy boots.
    A quality set of tableware with 2 sets of utensils and plates
    245 henbane leaves
    6 meal vouchers
    A white winged cat name Sera
    Selvia was born in Fairy Land to a perfectly normal elven family, thank you very much. They were perfectly happy in their lives as forest wardens, assigned to ensure its health and prosperity. A family of gifted mages, the Nilrems lived in harmony with nature and thus were focused on growing and nurturing, with the odd bit of violence to ward off the malicious. They had what they needed to live well and that is all they wanted. They were quite content to ignore the larger events of the world and be ignored by them as well. Change came, but, when it did, it was slow and careful.

Selvia Nilrem, unfortunately, was not particularly suited to such a society and family. She was temperamental with strong beliefs about how the world should be. And that these changes for the better should happen it as soon as possible. And she was certainly not afraid to let anyone and everyone know about it.

In particular, Selvia was extremely interested in magic and all of its forms. She was impatient with the slow methods of her family that required extreme lengths of time to become attuned to nature and grow slowly with it. Selvia learned as much as she could about the limited magical theory that was available and studied it intently. Besides nature, she delved into and experimented with the arcane, believing that it was the most pure form of magic.

While her family did what it could, it was clear she would never be happy there. Taking some small amount of resources and money, she went off to the world to search for more and better magical training. And she was aghast at what she found. Magical knowledge hoarded in libraries and families. Often, rumors of magic that was lost since it was never passed on. And those who could teach magic? They sold their talents to the rich and powerful and never seemed to be moved to do anything new. Magical learning had become stagnant. None of them would even think of teaching some young elf hussy with little to her name.

She has a goal: to study magic and to ensure that the next generations are not as bereft of learning. But after her travels and with minimal resources, she may be running a bit short on money. In fact, one might say her primary goal right now is to get enough money to put a roof over her head. Her journey is really only just beginning….