Comments on Profile Post by Scheherazade

1. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    I am in awe. As much as I would like to say that I had the said intention behind my username, I did not.
    Regardless, you have my admiration for pointing it out.
    Apr 20, 2019
  2. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    The PM was closed for response and I usually keep my profile locked, so I'll just reply here. The username 'Scheherazade' is an ode to the Arabian Nights, which I loved as a child. The choice was definitely intentional. I admire her loyalty to her family, her bravery, and her wit, all of which are rare traits in a female fairytale/folklore character.
    Apr 22, 2019
  3. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    Anyway, I'm somewhat busy these days. I have a decent-sized list of books I want to get through so that's been keeping me occupied. I just finished reading Founder of Diabolism, a pretty popular BL novel. It stands out as a webnovel but not as a novel in my opinion.
    Apr 22, 2019
  4. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    I'll probably tackle Everyone Else is a Returnee next. But I'm itching to read an English novel with some nice prose. No matter how good translations can be, I feel like the highest they go is "readable" quality. Then again, as webnovels, they're read for their plot not prose.
    Apr 22, 2019
  5. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    Are you reading anything these days?
    Apr 22, 2019
  6. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    I may have locked the conversation by mistake. A cautionary word about Everyone Else is a Returnee, the harem gets unbearable later on. And that is coming from someone who likes a well written Harem story.
    I am definitely not reading as much I need to or would want to. My schedule after getting myself in the university has robbed me of the moon and now I am feeding off the stars.
    Apr 22, 2019
    Scheherazade likes this.
  7. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    Right now, I am binge reading Godsfall Chronicles and the only web novel I am keeping up with these days is Trash of Count something on WuxiaWorld and I dont know why but I love it.

Definitely not into BL. I had unknowingly started reading a BL manga and by the time I saw the signs about what i had gotten into, i literally wanted to smash my head into a wall.
    Apr 22, 2019
    Scheherazade likes this.
  8. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    I think harem is hard to write well. It generally comes off as a cheap wish fulfillment romance plot device. One common thing I see is that harem tends to caricaturize harem members in order for the reader to more easily distinguish between them. There’s the ice queen person, the nerdy person, the rich person, etc.
    Apr 22, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  9. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    But doing so limits the harem members’ realness as characters. There might be a quiet, nerdy harem member. But that’s all the person will be. Some harem novels may go the opposite direction and just describe every person as an immaculate jade beauty, which gets old really fast.
    Apr 22, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  10. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    The one unsatisfying thing about harem is that the MC usually refrains from truly loving the harem members. Compared to normal monogamous romance, it always feels like the harem MC’s affection is kept at arm’s length in order to keep a balance within the harem.
    Apr 22, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  11. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    What do you study in uni? And what would you consider good, well-written harem?
    Apr 22, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  12. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    English Literature, and the experience isn't as pleasing as it may appear.

A good written harem? Well fleshed out characters off course, and something nice putting them together. I dont expect to see this desire fulfilled in everything I read, but something that I can wash down my throat without really needing to vomit it out.
    Apr 23, 2019
    Scheherazade likes this.
  13. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    In Everyone Else is a Returnee, if it is indeed the one I am thinking about, the mc is shown to have gained such a charm that all women around him are throwing themselves at him.

And he has an uncaring or avoiding attitude. It has been a long time since I read it.

Thinking back, I cant even remember a good example to give you of a good harem novel I read. I tend to forget.
    Apr 23, 2019
    Scheherazade likes this.
  14. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    Haha I’m not surprised to hear that studying English Lit might not be as fun as one might think. Personally, I never really liked English class in high school. We read a lot of depressing, boring stuff that was shoved down our throats. I hated doing literary analysis, essays, and annotations.
    Apr 25, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  15. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    I also feel like I was too young to appreciate the novels I read. Before I used to hate the classics. But now I find the ones I read to be really enjoyable. I think if I were to take English again, it’d be a fun experience. What makes you find studying English Lit to be unpleasing?
    Apr 25, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  16. Scheherazade
    Scheherazade
    I generally don’t like uncaring MCs. It’s as if they’re too cool and manly for emotions. Which I think is a rather immature view. Emotions are beautiful and a natural part of being human. Being caring does not make one any weaker. Sadly, that’s a common trope and belief.
    Apr 25, 2019
    Tramsloof likes this.
  17. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    What I find the most displeasing about my education is to have to confirm to the criticism that is already there or with the analysis that teachers back and support.
    Apr 30, 2019
  18. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    And I dont do that. I have ample ammunition and enough of marksmanship to fight my own way and it is many times do I find that I am debating against the teacher and the mainstream thought.
    Now, apparently teachers are so scared of me that they nod their head even when I mistakenly say something wrong
    Apr 30, 2019
  19. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    And I dont have time to enjoy my reading. Literature can only be enjoyed in leisure and these guys have robbed me of that. They have this evil, semester system and I cant even take the days off.
    Apr 30, 2019
  20. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    Just recently we had a debate or something of the kind and we proposed our theories and analysis of the text.
    Now teachers and all the class was backing this feminist view and I was of another thought.
    Apr 30, 2019
  21. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    The teacher told me to just go with them for once for they have a lot of claims to show off and it would be a daunting task to say anything otherwise.
    I told them that the only daunting thing about it would be it taking a little more of my time as I will have to dismiss the claims first.
    Apr 30, 2019
  22. Tramsloof
    Tramsloof
    And I did manage to dismiss all of them without failing. The teacher repeatedly asked the class to stand up to me but no one would.
    The teacher wasnt part of the debate...too bad.
    Apr 30, 2019