Comments on Profile Post by SummerForest

1. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    the people and Their culture . The culture means nothing if you don't care for and respect the individuals and people who make it first
    May 3, 2019
    GoldenGoddess likes this.
  2. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    The concept of culture in south, east and south-east Asia is very complex, though. History plays a great role in shaping culture here.
    May 3, 2019
  3. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    History is one of my most favorite topics and I love Asian history the most. One that I have much of
    May 3, 2019
    GoldenGoddess likes this.
  4. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    But history is the collective movement and actions of individuals and people over a period of time
    May 3, 2019
  5. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    I read ancient histories about long extinct ethnicities and nations and current news of the same subject
    May 3, 2019
  6. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    By history I mean how these Asian countries have been influenced by each other through commercial interactions and conquests and later by European colonization.
    May 3, 2019
  7. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Yep,and also by the ethnic mixing of the same.
    May 3, 2019
  8. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    I first learned to love Asian culture particularly East Asian culture first from my Dad who was a naval seaman that had a tour of duty in 64&65 in the Japan, Philippines, Hong Kong, South Korea and South Vietnam. My dad always wanted to go back and never did.However he taught my sister and I a love of that part of the world. That was reinforced later on by different means
    May 3, 2019
  9. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Ethnic mixing took place due to those commercial interactions in ancient time.
    May 3, 2019
  10. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    And other reasons. And not so ancient times either
    May 3, 2019
  11. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Interesting! The countries you mentioned are the least influenced by Indian subcontinent though.
    May 3, 2019
  12. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    My love of India grew later, after i read some about South Asia when I started reading encyclopedias since I was 8. Plus meeting a Southern Indian family when I was about 22. Of course my interactions here on NUF play apart as well
    May 3, 2019
  13. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    You haven't met many Bengalis from India I think?
    May 3, 2019
  14. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Nope, the family i know is Marathi/Hindi mix
    May 3, 2019
  15. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    And I consider India to be a union of many nations like the United Kingdom is
    May 3, 2019
  16. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Bengalis are very liberal and love literature. Culturally, they are the most open minded people here.
    May 3, 2019
  17. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    It's not nations exactly, it's more a union of races and cultures.
    May 3, 2019
  18. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    In UK the separate political identities are important, but in India it is not.
    May 3, 2019
  19. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Tell that to the groups in NorthEastIndia that want to split)
    May 3, 2019
    SummerForest likes this.
  20. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Ahh that's a totally different story. Do you know how they came to join the Indian Union after 1947? They were distinctly separate people in the first place. Never much of a part of the political map of ancient and medieval India.
    May 3, 2019
  21. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    The people there are not political nations, but diverse ethnic groups and I think Indian political leaders completely failed to provide them the facilities they had expected when they first joined Indian Union.
    May 3, 2019
  22. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    I know , The Naga,Assamesse, Kukis, Garo, Khasi, Tripuri , Ahom and others. I support their ambitions to separate through it was very wrong of them to murder the mainly Bengali settlers and other things done
    May 3, 2019
  23. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    I think they won't gain much from getting separated. For most of the amenities they'll have to depend on India. The leaders of those ethnic groups who joined India, were politically wise people. It is our failure that we couldn't actually do much for them.
    Assam and Tripura are part of India from ancient time. But the rage against Bengalis there is mostly politically motivated.
    May 3, 2019
    OnceandFutureLurker likes this.
  24. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    History of India is indeed very complex. But I appreciate how different ethnicities and religions intermingled here.
    May 3, 2019
  25. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Perhaps maybe Probably. On a different topic about Bengalis been meaning to ask if there is much interaction with your Eastern Bengali ethnic brethren on a day to day basis amongst the regular populace ?
    May 3, 2019
  26. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Eastern Bengalis? Well, there's not much division among modern Indian Bengalis anymore. There's some exaggerated difference in dialect and food habits shown in popular literature and movies, though.
    May 3, 2019
  27. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Talking about with your ethnic kindred in Bangladesh
    May 3, 2019
  28. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    I was waiting for this mention haha. What should I say? The dialect is different and the outlook in general is also different. I think their long interaction with Islam has made them more conservative (talking about Hindus there). People still immigrate to India (mostly illegally) and rate of minor marriage is higher among them. Actually, I can tell you a lot more, but this isn't the right place.
    May 3, 2019
  29. OnceandFutureLurker
    OnceandFutureLurker
    Ok, was curious because talking with people in the thick of the matter is more telling than reading about it in encyclopedias
    May 3, 2019
  30. SummerForest
    SummerForest
    Exactly. I've seen how people believe in crazy things about other nations and races.
    May 3, 2019