Comments on Profile Post by UDI

1. View previous comments
  2. UDI
    UDI
    @Silver Snake the first three trillogy seem to be twice as long(word count wise) as the second and generally better and all encompassing story. The second trilogy is disapointing but still decent to good, although i have to say i like a lot more characters in it.
    May 30, 2019
    Cream, Blitz and Silver Snake like this.
  3. Cream
    Cream
    @Blitz 3 books are out, the latest being Oathbringer. There's also a novella Edgedancer, which is set between book 2 and 3.
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz and UDI like this.
  4. UDI
    UDI
    @Blitz thats exactly what i mean. You should check them out then!
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz and Cream like this.
  5. UDI
    UDI
    @Cream I'll give it a go after i finish this then!
    May 30, 2019
  6. Blitz
    Blitz
    I've gotta get back into them soon. Reread the old ones too since its been so long.
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  7. Blitz
    Blitz
    From what I remember the second series had a different tone from the first one due to the different characters and situation
    May 30, 2019
    UDI and Cream like this.
  8. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I was 2/3 of the way through Six of Crows and dropped it. It's a great book, but it's mostly a romance and heist story, not counting flashbacks which are amazing, making the characters truly well-defined.

Name of the wind is next on my list. It's fair to drop a book after 66%, right?
    May 30, 2019
  9. Cream
    Cream
    @Blitz For the Stormlight Archive, you can look up summaries on the coppermind wiki. They're extremely comprehensive and might save you some time.
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  10. Cream
    Cream
    I'm waiting for the Name of the Wind series to be completed :(
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz and Silver Snake like this.
  11. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake If you like heist, I highly recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz and Silver Snake like this.
  12. Blitz
    Blitz
    @Cream nah I enjoy rereading novels (not webnovels) but thanks
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  13. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    ^ I was too, but it's so well-rated. I have to give it a shot.
    May 30, 2019
  14. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    @Cream I hate heist. I think they're formulaic/boring
    May 30, 2019
  15. Blitz
    Blitz
    And here I am still waiting for the 3rd book <.<
    Its a great series but the first is certainly the stronger of the two even thought they're both amazing.
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  16. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    But LLL is next on my list. It goes Name of the Wind --> Final Empire --> LLL
    May 30, 2019
  17. Cream
    Cream
    oh haha, then disregard my recommendation

What do you generally like instead?
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  18. Cream
    Cream
    @Blitz I feel like Rothfuss wrote himself into a corner or something :(
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  19. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I truly don't know. I don't think I've read enough. I know what I don't like, though. I dropped Assassin's Apprentice 2/3 of the way through too. I'm not sure what I didn't like about it, but I didn't like it. It think it was the disappointing magic that only allowed force pushing and telepathy.
    May 30, 2019
  20. Blitz
    Blitz
    @Cream yeah I have no idea how's his gonna explain it all and fill in the gaps with only one more book too :(
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  21. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake

Yeah, the Farseer Trilogy is okay, and a bit slow for my tastes. It doesn't have the epic fantasy page-turning excitement of some other series. Out of Robin Hobb works, I prefer the Liveship Traders trilogy purely because of how good the third book in the trilogy was.
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  22. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    @Cream What do you like to read?
    May 30, 2019
  23. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I was fine with the pacing. Once you read a 1,000 page book, 500 page books feel like 200 page books. It's weird. I'm still not sure what I disliked about that book specifically. I think the only thing I was interested in in the story was the romance, and the romance was pretty sparsely spread. I think that's why I dropped it.
    May 30, 2019
  24. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake

Anything good. But for sci-fi/fantasy, I like Brent Weeks' stuff, Stormlight Archive, Codex Alera, Mistborn, the Broken Earth trilogy, Ender's Game, and Red Rising.
    May 30, 2019
    Silver Snake and Blitz like this.
  25. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake

For romance+fantasy, I prefer novels with female leads lol
    May 30, 2019
    Silver Snake and Blitz like this.
  26. Blitz
    Blitz
    Recommend me some fantasy works you really liked personally (づ。 。)づ
    May 30, 2019
  27. Blitz
    Blitz
    Romance+fantasy/sci-fi with male leads is a bit
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  28. Cream
    Cream
    The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks is mindblowingly good. It's like Brandon Sanderson stuff, but slightly more mature and gritty. The plot twists are insane. The romance is solid. The magic system is cool as hell, and the last book of the series is coming out this fall.
    May 30, 2019
    UDI, Blitz and Silver Snake like this.
  29. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I was about to ask whether to start with night angel or lightbringer
    May 30, 2019
  30. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake

lol maybe the Night Angel trilogy since that one is completed
    May 30, 2019
    UDI and Blitz like this.
  31. Blitz
    Blitz
    Let me give it a read. I'll go download it for the kindle in a bit
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  32. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    @Cream If you could only recommend one of those books, which would it be?
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  33. Cream
    Cream
    Like one book? Or one series?
    May 30, 2019
  34. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    Either, both. What difference does it make. You read a book either way. Idk, okay, both
    May 30, 2019
  35. Blitz
    Blitz
    How is night angel in comparison to lightbringer?
    May 30, 2019
    Silver Snake likes this.
  36. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I know the answer is why not read them all but I'm impatient and think it's possible to read the best first, although my experience well probably be different since enjoyment is heavily dependent on taste. Idk, I just want some order in the madness of this world
    May 30, 2019
  37. Cream
    Cream
    One book: Ender's Game.

One series: Not sure... Hmm. I'm hesitant to recommend incomplete series because a bad ending could ruin the whole series (like in Game of Thrones). I think Codex Alera is a really solid fantasy series in general.
    May 30, 2019
    Silver Snake likes this.
  38. Cream
    Cream
    Lightbringer is better than Night Angel because it has a more interesting magic system, better worldbuilding, and better plot twists.

The first book of the lightbringer series does suffer slightly from pacing issues, but the second and third book are amazing.
    May 30, 2019
  39. Cream
    Cream
    @Blitz @Silver Snake

if you guys could only recommend one book/series, what would you recommend?
    May 30, 2019
  40. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    One book: The Stand
    I don't really have a series. I get bored of them around the third book. Too formulaic for me. Or I get bored of the writer's style and want something new.
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  41. Cream
    Cream
    You like horror?
    May 30, 2019
  42. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    You see, I wouldn't call it a horror book. Sure, a lot of people die at the start, but after that it's story about a group of strangers coming together to defeat the man in black. I loved the premise and the characters.
    May 30, 2019
  43. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    Oh, how I loved the characters. And the post-apocalyptic setting was so cool, it really made the characters appreciate the new family they found; both because of how empty the world became and from watching their original family die
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  44. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    It's my favorite book of all time. I tried read to 11/22/63 a newer Stephen King book, but the premise of timetravel assassination didn't grab me like the premise in the stand. I need a good premise and execution to like a novel. I've read a bunch of good books that I just didn't have any taste for, the premise, that is
    May 30, 2019
  45. Cream
    Cream
    Ahh I see. I never touched Stephen King because I always thought his stuff would be scary. I'm a person who gets spooked easily :(
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  46. Cream
    Cream
    @Silver Snake do you read science fiction? I feel like in science fiction, the premise is usually more important than in fantasy.
    May 30, 2019
    Blitz likes this.
  47. Blitz
    Blitz
    I like a well executed SciFi. Many times you see a book that's just SciFi for the sake of being one tooany times these days
    May 30, 2019
    Cream and Silver Snake like this.
  48. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    I can't remember if I was ever actually scared while reading it. But that might be because I was so scared I don't want to remember it. But it is hard to get scared from reading a book, I think. Or to write something that is scary. It's more like a constant sense of dread. Like a feeling you know something is going to happen, but not exactly when
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  49. Cream
    Cream
    @Blitz what's your favorite SciFi?
    May 30, 2019
  50. Silver Snake
    Silver Snake
    @Blitz Read the Martian and The Expanse series. I hear they are among the best of their genre. It has believable mechanics/settings
    May 30, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  51. Cream
    Cream
    I've never read the Martian, but it's a really good movie lol
    May 30, 2019