Comments on Profile Post by Cream

1. Cream
    Cream
    1. They are famous for their chocolate
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  2. Cream
    Cream
    2. Belgium is in Europe, to the west of Germany. It looks like a small country.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  3. Cream
    Cream
    3. I think they are part of the EU
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  4. Cream
    Cream
    4. I'm not sure what language you guys speak, but I'm going to guess some variation of German. Or is Belgian a language itself?
    Aug 12, 2021
    Baldingere and Shalalalala like this.
  5. Cream
    Cream
    5. Your country colonized Africa in a rather horrific manner.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  6. Cream
    Cream
    6. Your flag is black and yellow and red. (I know this because I was watching the olympics recently >_>)
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  7. Cream
    Cream
    7. I believe you guys still have a monarchy going on. Though to be fair, a lot of European countries still have that going on.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  8. Cream
    Cream
    8. I am guessing the Belgian waffle originated from Belgium
    Aug 12, 2021
    Shalalalala likes this.
  9. Cream
    Cream
    9. These are the following cities I know in Belgium: Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges. I know this because my favorite Belgian waffle place names all their waffles after Belgian cities. I usually order the Antwerp.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Baldingere and Shalalalala like this.
  10. Cream
    Cream
    I think that is all that I really know...
    Aug 12, 2021
  11. Cream
    Cream
    I imagine @Tilgarial would know more since he is in Germany I think?
    Aug 12, 2021
  12. Tilgarial
    Tilgarial
    Belgium actually has multiple national languages - I know both german and french are such, with parts of the country having that as the commonly used language. I'm not sure if there's another english part, but I do think there was a third language in the mix
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream likes this.
  13. Tilgarial
    Tilgarial
    There's a town in Belgium where there's an annual redhead gathering. i think that was in belgium, anyways
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream likes this.
  14. Tilgarial
    Tilgarial
    the belgian border is sometimes quite amusing, going through towns and in extreme cases individual buildings and shops - making thier taxes weird
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream and Baldingere like this.
  15. Tilgarial
    Tilgarial
    like all european countries, the belgian border is quite the opposite of straight - in one particular instance, the border to France kinda wraps around a part of france - and the french built their nuclear powerplant there
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream likes this.
  16. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    You should try out Liège Waffles, it's tasty. You're right about all points. In Belgium, the majority of the population speaks Flemish, which is a Western Germanic language. In second place comes French and in third place comes German (only the eastern cantons speak german and that's about three cities in the Liège province). Belgium is famous for it's pralines.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream and Tilgarial like this.
  17. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    We still have a royal family but all they really do is diplomacy. Everything else in their job is done under the supervision of the premier minister. And the royal family isn't popular here. In stark contrast to the Netherlands, our neighboors, who are patriotic (Belgians are only patriotic when it comes to football and eurovision) and like their royal family about as much as Englanders do.
    Aug 12, 2021
    Cream and Tilgarial like this.
  18. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    Belgium had an African colony, Congo, but it's a rather complicated story. Leopold 2 (our second king) managed to obtain that part in the middle of Africa
    Aug 12, 2021
    Tilgarial and Cream like this.
  19. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    when European countries negotiated to divise under themselves. So it originally belongeg to him and he became a king of 2 kingdoms. Of course he stole the land from the people living on it and he mistreated them. Protestant monks outed him internationally and an investigation followed, that proved he mistreated people. Leopold 2 then said other countries did the same, made them investigated,
    Aug 12, 2021
  20. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    nd indeed, other countries also mistreated natives. But still, Leopold 2 messed up, so the Belgian government decided to overtake Congo from him. That was also a complicated political story. At the time Belgium had a new party in the political field: the labourers party. That party was against colonialism and thus didn't
    Aug 12, 2021
  21. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    want Congo but their party leader had another opinion, he thought that because they were against colonialism, they had to take Congo from this exploiter Leopold 2, so when his party voted against it, he was absent to show his disagreement, he went to Congo. So in the end, Belgium took Congo and tried to make things better, by bringing schools and whatever there, but because they were still paternalistic
    Aug 12, 2021
  22. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    af, they messed up. And they brought belgian conflicts over to Congo, like catholic schools vs government schools and the language discord. In the end, Congo wanted independancy, and Belgium didn't want a war like France was having with Algérie and others, so they let them go. And they helped them out to write their constitution.
    Aug 12, 2021
  23. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    Then Belgium messed up terribly in Rwanda and they totally quit trying to take care of Africa, for the best of everyone involved.
    Aug 12, 2021
  24. Baldingere
    Baldingere
    Nowadays, I'd say Belgium is a country with sh**ty politics like everywhere else and nobody in Belgium undestands what government does what, it has good and all kinds of beer, has an interesting literature, has good music, and a good sense of humor.
    Aug 12, 2021
  25. Cream
    Cream
    wow, very interesting! ty for the response
    Aug 12, 2021
    Baldingere and Tilgarial like this.
  26. Tilgarial
    Tilgarial
    Ty +1
    Aug 12, 2021
  27. Tilgarial