Comments on Profile Post by pass1478

1. Esha07
    Esha07
    Llfe is like a boat, let it sink
    Jul 5, 2022
  2. pass1478
    pass1478
    "Let it sink." The presence of "let" implies the illusion of control. Saying that is akin to saying we're "letting" the Sun shine.

Life, Death, The Sun, The Universe. These are powers way above us, we're not "letting them", they're "letting us".
    Jul 5, 2022
  3. Esha07
    Esha07
    So we are going to sink anyways |3_3)?
    Jul 5, 2022
  4. pass1478
    pass1478
    Yes. The sinking of the boat is our existential dillema. We can try to solve this through Brain Emulation (uploading the mind into technology), but that begs another existential question of what makes us "us".

Like a version of "The Ship of Theseus", we avoid the sinking of the ship by completely changing the ship, but would that still even be our ship?
    Jul 5, 2022
  5. Esha07
    Esha07
    I mean the single word answer was great. But I guess you do you..

Pardon but didn't got the connection between dilemma ... technology with what makes us "us"

Btw you have a ship? How did he saved a ship by a ship?
    Jul 5, 2022
  6. pass1478
    pass1478
    I recommend looking up "The Ship of Theseus". It's a thought experiment that tackles the dillema of identity.

As for why I talked about these things, it's because one of the solutions to aging (this is the sinking of the ship) is to upload our minds into a computer, leaving our biological bodies. But isn't our body a large part of our identity?
    Jul 5, 2022
  7. pass1478
    pass1478
    We're forsaking our natural body for an artificial one, would we still be who we are?

If the mind is what makes us who we are, then can we say a brain dead or comatose person isn't a person anymore? Questions, questions, and more questions. This is why it's a dillema
    Jul 5, 2022