TMW preference..
    Aug 9, 2016
  2. Nom de Plume
    Nom de Plume
    A saber is curved though...
    Aug 10, 2016
  3. Westeller
    Westeller
    @Nom de Plume sabers can be straight, and swords can be curved. Heck, look at wikipedia's specifications for a saber:

"Single-edged or double-edged, curved bladed or straight blade, pointed tip."

What the hell does that even mean.

It's really just a sword, isn't it? -_-
    Aug 10, 2016
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. Sordahon
    Sordahon
    Ask Yi Yun if he can use dao of saber with sword in hand.
    Aug 11, 2016
  5. DCLXVI
    DCLXVI
    knight of sword is classified as servant saber in fate series
    Aug 15, 2016
    Westeller likes this.
  6. Readingaddict36
    Readingaddict36
    Sword and sabre are fundamentally different in their application and build. Swords are always straight and double-edged they are used by thrusthing and bashing, a sabre (at least historical ones) are always curved and have one edge with the intended use of cutting/slashing. I think the wiki is incorrect on this point (there are sabres with double edged tips, but only the first 10 cm or so)
    Aug 15, 2016
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  7. Readingaddict36
    Readingaddict36
    I think wn novel authors and anime producers blatantly ignore those facts. Gotta have a cool looking weapon, no matter if it's practical.
    Aug 15, 2016
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  8. Westeller
    Westeller
    The problem with that @Readingaddict36 is that the wiki also lists 10 other categories of single edged swords, not just sabers. Some of which are curved, and some of which are not.

Should none of those fall under the category of swords, either?

I mean.. what I'm saying is that a saber is just a type of sword, at best. Along with literally DOZENS of other "unique" types of sword.

They're all just swords~
    Aug 15, 2016
    Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. Readingaddict36
    Readingaddict36
    the point stands as is, sabres are not swords. likewise katanas ain't counted as sabres either, machetes for example are part of a whole other category. The only common term you could use is "bladed tool with edges made from metal" but what author would use that?
    sword is a subterm.
    Aug 15, 2016
  10. Westeller
    Westeller
    Whoa whoa. That's the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying that swords IS that "bladed tool with edges." Or, rather, going by the dictionary:

"a weapon with a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard, used for thrusting or striking and now typically worn as part of ceremonial dress."
    Aug 15, 2016
  11. Westeller
    Westeller
    A saber is a sword.
    A katana is a sword.
    A falchion is a sword.
    A rapier is a sword.

They're all swords. They're at best different subcategories of "sword" based on their design and intended use. For example, there are actually many individual types of saber, or many individual types of rapier, or many individual types of katana. Ultimately, they all fall under the "sword" umbrella.
    Aug 15, 2016
    Nom de Plume and LittleFox21 like this.
  12. Readingaddict36
    Readingaddict36
    Believe or not, you are mistaken. Thats like calling a sniper rifle a gun. The sword is by official defintion a subdivision of 'thrusting and cutting'-weapons while the sabre is only a cutting weapon. By your standards even a kitchen knife would count as sword.
    Again sword is not an all-encompassing term.
    Aug 15, 2016
  13. Westeller
    Westeller
    In fact I DO call sniper rifles a gun. Are you telling me that "gun" is a specific subdivision of .. well... guns, now? Y'know what's literally a "type of gun?" A firearm, which is a "portable gun"... like a sniper rifle.

Guns
    => Firearms
    ==> Rifles
    ===> Sniper Rifles.
    Aug 15, 2016
  14. Readingaddict36
    Readingaddict36
    I concede on that point, my knowedge on shooting weapons is limited. Doesnt change anything about meele weapons though.
    Aug 15, 2016
  15. Westeller
    Westeller
    I know that "sword" is a general catch-all for the basic form of the weapon, so I think I get where you're coming from, but it's ALSO the category all variations of that basic form fall under.

Maybe that's because of circumstances and there should be a better umbrella term, but somehow I think "swords" just became the commonly accepted umbrella over time.
    Aug 15, 2016
    Nom de Plume likes this.