Comments on Profile Post by kainee

1. View previous comments
  2. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    /tablefip

Q~Q Kainee, I had faith in you. :V well no matter. I will go and venture myself in a spoiler thread.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  3. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, asking me about the English title won't jog my memory since I barely read any CN translations. And sometimes the CN novel titles blur together too. I swear I've come across a handful of Naruto-based CN novels but I can't be sure if the one being translated now is one that I've read.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  4. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee i head the naruto one is total garbage lol
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  5. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @Nimroth in first place most of mechanics in ZL are bs lol
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  6. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    :V not to mention mutants in irl. gtfo here.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  7. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    Fishmen.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  8. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, I kept reading Zhan Long because it was interesting to me how he became a solo gamer because of his being able to heal himself. It started to suck a lot when the real world stuff kept escalating though. The stupidity of the writing in regards to the romance didn't help.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  9. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, I went WTF at that though I was already kinda sketchy when they started basically saying he was a superman because he practiced real martial arts with real qi...
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  10. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    I mean you could skip the entire irl bs. . .honestly stupid.

and romance was the worst out of it . . .and man . . .how it ended. . .just stoopid.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  11. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    Somehow the real life stuff started to become more fantastical than the game world, at some point I started wondering why they were even bothering to play a game when they had werewolves and wuxia masters lurking around lol
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux and kainee like this.
  12. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, @episod3ux, I dunno if I read the translated Naruto novel but pretty sure it sucked. I didn't even make it past the first 2 chapters on the CN novel of the concept that I read. It was just too much BS for me to get over to suspend my disbelief.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  13. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @Nimroth yep when I saw fishmen I was like okay? that's like enuf and dropped it.

@kainee he got full Sharingan from start guess . . . .
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee and Nimroth like this.
  14. kainee
    kainee
    I remember being really pissed off at the ending because it just perfectly encapsulated how inconsistent the author was... Actually, if the IRL stuff had been removed, I probably would have enjoyed the novel more.
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth and episod3ux like this.
  15. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    . . .the harem in the game got ridiculous beyond any help. Not to mention he started to one shot people late game at the same level.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  16. kainee
    kainee
    It probably didn't help that even though I liked Naruto, I wasn't so otaku about it to freaking be able to take reading a novel that basically would require me to constantly refer to the Naruto wikia to refresh my memory. Plus it was weird to read the Naruto moves in CN because so used to seeing it in romanji...
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  17. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee ouch . . .if it requires that much work to get a series I would give up early.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  18. kainee
    kainee
    True, the harem was super annoying because the author wanted to have his cake and eat it too. Basically have the one girl he was kinda OTP with but then also have several girls as side pieces and a *wink* *wink* there. Fucking decide and quit being such a tool about it!
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  19. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, the work and mental adjustment needed explained why I immediately stopped reading the Naruto CN novel after 1.5 chapters. So even if the translated novel wasn't the one I read, I'm not really interested in picking it up.
    Aug 25, 2016
  20. kainee
    kainee
    But yeah, I think Zhan Long probably had the most annoying harem for me because it was all so wishy-washy. At least the ones with rapetastic harems allowed me to concretely judge that it sucked and side eye everyone that enjoyed it without any kind of introspection on what kind of human being they were.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  21. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    @kainee To be fair a lot of the qidian webnovels are glorified fanfiction, just that they actually earn money from it...
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux and kainee like this.
  22. kainee
    kainee
    @Nimroth, true. Which is why I've gotten very good at skimming in Chinese. They are good time wasters though and it's a nice break because they use different story tropes than Western fiction.
    Aug 25, 2016
  23. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    several? kainee you mean few dozen.

get your mount/pet as a harem member.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  24. kainee
    kainee
    I dislike getting ambushed by fanfiction in the CN novels without warning though. Some you can tell right away are fanfiction such as the Naruto one I've discussed and Jin Yong-verse is always a prime candidate. There was even an intriguing one that I only realized after the fact was based on an obscure RTS.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  25. kainee
    kainee
    But don't fucking ambush me with Star Wars! I was reading and I was like, "Wait a minute... Ah-na-jin... Is that? Is that Anakin?!?"
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  26. kainee
    kainee
    LOL, epi, yeah, the utter depths that I've seen harems get to means I have so little patience for them. So the general attitude that they seem to be the bee's knees that I see amongst readers of translated CN novels makes me cringe so much...
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  27. kainee
    kainee
    Although I do like hearing about novels that go into the actual horrible consequences of harems. They tend to backfire and aren't so hot for patriarchal societies as it turns out...
    Aug 25, 2016
  28. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    lol that reminds me of all the novels where a reincarnated/transported mc start naming everything based on western pop culture...
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  29. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    wait what? Star Wars? XD ayy lmao

that's why I gave up on all JP works, when I see harem tag I just close the tab.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  30. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, the JP stuff tends to be "my pace" kinda stuff. They are nice for truly eccentric concepts but that can get tiring if it gets too Japanese. I can't think of a better way to describe it... :-<
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  31. kainee
    kainee
    @Nimroth, yeah, references to anything outside of the contained world without any explanation is really jarring for me. It's a miracle I continued reading Bringing the Farm to Another World after the first celebrity reference... It probably helped that I don't really feel anything about Taylor Swift...
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.
  32. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/hail-the-king/
    ^ there is this one that had so much potential only to find out it turned into crap-xia :^) I cry when potential masterpieces turn like this.

. . . not to mention he has like 3 girl confirmed already only from what is translated :^)
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  33. kainee
    kainee
    @episod3ux, yeah... It was some CN novel that ended up having a myth arc about traveling dimensions so of course they went to the galaxy far far away. I was skimming so I was completely unprepared for this, especially since I didn't know the CN terms for SW stuff.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  34. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee nope I got what you meant. . . reincarnated as a sword and vending machine.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  35. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    . . .*Tilted* those crossovers are 99% bad.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  36. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, I really hate the fanfiction or multiverse CN novels because they'll always make some kind of reference that will need me to look it up because it's not part of my reference pool and they don't explain it because they assume that the reader will get it.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  37. kainee
    kainee
    I wish I could enjoy more modern day CN novels, especially ones where they randomly get a system/AI in their heads, but they usually end up getting super jingoistic and about China taking over the world...
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  38. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    :V sole example I can give you that is translated is CD/ST < :^)
    Aug 25, 2016
  39. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee modern world + game elements are my favourites too :V too few get translated.

well also xianxia + game elements was nice but both that I was reading :V no longer translated.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  40. kainee
    kainee
    Granted, the lack of shared reference pools puts me in the same shoes as readers of translated CN novels... But at least explain that stuff or make it your own! That's kinda why I liked how HN1F did it. They made some inside jokes/references that you would get if you knew the original but it wasn't necessary since they gave the context or just a bonus easter egg.
    Aug 25, 2016
  41. kainee
    kainee
    Oh? @episod3ux, what xianxia + game elements were you reading that aren't being translated anymore? I can give spoilers if I've read it.
    Aug 25, 2016
    episod3ux likes this.
  42. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee Invincible Level king and there is one more and let me look for it.
    Aug 25, 2016
  43. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    @kainee HN1F itself at least seem better than some of the works parodied in it, not that I'm up to date with it though.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  44. kainee
    kainee
    @Nimroth, Yeah, HN1F is one of those cases where in parodying the other works, actually distills what was good and got rid of the BS in the original. I also personally enjoyed that it didn't end up doing harems and only made joking references to them. It made it 10000% better.
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.
  45. kainee
    kainee
    Like really, these xiuzhen/xianxia take petty shit so fucking seriously and then want us to all of a sudden skate over throwing a bunch of women in a group with just 1 man and expect us to believe that everything's going to be just fucking peachy?
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.
  46. episod3ux
    episod3ux
    @kainee lel I'm more surprised they don't start to kill each other since their world gets called eat or get eaten all the time.
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  47. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    @kainee lol yeah at that point I wish they would take some inspiration from historical novels and do some real harems instead, those can give most xianxia villains a lesson in nasty
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  48. kainee
    kainee
    Yeah, pretty much based on what I can tell through my very specific lens of historical fiction, real life harems usually end up emasculating the man. Because the women either tend to either become the power behind the throne or they're all scheming to deceive the dude for their own benefit. He might as well be a dildo they could care less about if only bc it produces baby juice.
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.
  49. Nimroth
    Nimroth
    yeah there is even real historical cases such as Wu Zetian or Lu Zhi
    Aug 25, 2016
    kainee likes this.
  50. kainee
    kainee
    Well, Lu Zhi is known for being crazy jealous since she's the real life example of the inventor of the human meat stick because after her husband died, she immediately took advantage of her status as Empress Dowager to torture the concubine her husband had favored in life. But it's arguable that she hated that woman so much bc of her own offended pride rather than out of love for her husband.
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.
  51. kainee
    kainee
    But yeah... Dude... the stuff that real life harem women got up to was craaaaaaazy... But I guess as long as you're the man, you don't really give a fuck if you're being lied to/manipulated all the time as long as you have the illusion that you're master of it all and don't care that your children basically aren't living in the best environments either.
    Aug 25, 2016
    Nimroth likes this.