Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just use NU everyday and starve away from other content

I can burn around 5Gb in 15 days on data if I'm not careful. 1Gb instead if I'm careful.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    just sit at library with you laptop or phone and use their wifi or go to coffee shop or something for like an 1hr or 2 this would also save you from having to use your data. I live right next to a library and sometimes use their wifi as I read my novels or maybe pick up some of their magazines that they order they have cosplay/otaku usa/ newtype etc. usually pick up a book too.

blues86, Femme Fatale and Sabruness like this.
  4. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    turn on airplane mode for phone, when your not using it?

EDIT: also check/stop automatic updates to various software, in case a random update come up later on.

Femme Fatale and Sabruness like this.
  5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm honestly shocked that you can consume 50MBs of text-only pages. If the average CN novel chapter is ~2,000 words long, then my quick notepad testing puts them at maybe 15KBs. Throw in the other random text on a page and you're at around 20KBs? .... Do you know how many chapters you'd have to read to hit 50MBs at that rate? 2,500!

Most data consumption is images, css, music, videos. Text is nothing. If you've disabled everything except text...

6. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually download a bunch of epubs of novels on my backlog and read those when I need to watch my data. Might want to get a different phone browser too, Chrome for Android can't use extensions but I believe Yandex for Android can use chrome extensions, which if you install ublock origin could potentially save data.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. DankMCD

DankMCD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can burn around 5GB of data in 3 days if I have enough data. Honestly, that's still not enough for me.

I suggest turning off all auto-updates and turn on data saver if your browser have one. If you want, download all the chapters you want to read from NU using the download page function if you're using Google Chrome to avoid unnecessary data usage, plus you can read them anytime anywhere.

8. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't open YT, FB, IG, etc
    Disable auto download image/video for WA, Tele, Discord, etc
    Disable auto update for Play Store
    Turn off mobile data
    And sleep

9. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Only ever used like 4 gb through celluler data, most of the time use free wi-fi to download big file

Femme Fatale likes this.
  10. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know how data works but i have seen my sim burning 20+ mb data just to load a page so i dont trust these phone companies at all.....

11. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did you just pasted the chapter in the notepad and checked how much it is? Did you forget about the html? Even if you don't see it, there is potentially a crap load of html on the page. This says the average html size is 59kb, and according to this the size of the html alone on nuf is 137kb. You gotta download that regardless, and even if you reduce it somewhat by disabling scripts, there is still a lot.

@Miku, there are several things you can do
    1) Check some browsers that have data saving mode. Looks like Opera might be something you want
    2) Think of disabling cookies. I am assuming you are running adblock and such, because those will definitely eat up bandwidth.
    3) Look for browser extensions that compress web pages before downloading them.
    4) Enable mobile mode on your desktop browser and browse only mobile version of the pages. They are a bit lighter than the desktop versions.
    5) Check what applications are running. You can have something in the background doing a lot of web requests and eating up your bandwidth.
    6) There are apparently some vpn services that compress your traffic too.
    .. I think this is most of it..

Oh, and you can set up caching proxy on your network. You can do it with a raspberry pi or just use your desktop. It will cache pages that you visited and just load what's new, instead of redownloading crap all the time. It will be a bit more advanced than what a browser does with cache

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  12. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't underestimate how much data 50MBs really is when you're mostly counting in KBs. That's 51,200 KBs.

At 150KBs, you'd have to browse 340 pages. 256 pages at 200. 170 pages at 300. I was talking about reading novel chapters, so it's pretty impressive, imo, if you're reading 340 chapters a day. Hell, you might open fewer web pages than that even if you're online all the time and don't give two shits about your data consumption, just browsing whatever you feel like. According to my browser history, I average about 400 a week, and I randomly open new tabs all day because I get distracted every other minute. So... Yeah. If you've disabled everything and you're trying to conserve data, it's pretty damn amazing to me that you'd still manage to use 50MBs a day.

Sabruness and Femme Fatale like this.
  13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is that 1) We don't know what web site op uses and 2) The size of the page can vary largely, even if it's just reading a novel. Having 1mb of stuff in the html alone is not that far out of reach if you consider the size of html + the fact that websites do a page to page data transfer in html too, stuff like sessions, viewstates, and post data. CNN home page is 800KB just html size.
    And well, reading 300 chapters a day is possible. I've done that. Depending on the novel and how you read.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  14. DankMCD

DankMCD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can use other browser that has similar function. You don't necessarily need Chrome for that. I just used it as an example since that's what I use all the time.

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try using uMatrix. It's from the same guy who develops uBlock Origin. It automatically blocks all third-party resources and gives you a lot of granular options for allowing or blocking certain aspects of a site. uMatrix.png

It takes some getting used to since it will break just about every site you visit. Once you get the hang of it, it saves you a lot of data. It works with Firefox and Chrome on the desktop. Since it's available for Firefox, you might be able to use it on Firefox on your phone.

sgrey likes this.
  16. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    seems more like noscript with better customization...
    I actually don't think this will help save data, as all the scripts will still have to load, and then disabled...

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, my bad, what I meant there actually the page size you have to download. It will, of course, prevent all of the dynamic crap from loading that comes after you download the initial page. I thought you already have that blocked

18. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might also want to look into using Decentraleyes. It creates a local cache of js libraries and then uses a proxy to redirect requests to those libraries to localhost. The end result is that you shouldn't ever need to download any js libraries after your first download. It also protects you from downloading a malicious library should you encounter a man-in-the-middle attack. The whole protection aspect is for paranoid users, but it can save you a fair amount of data regardless of your level of paranoia.