Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 14

Daniel was waiting for her in her living room, along with only one bodyguard and Corey. Belle looked around, expecting to find the other one, but he was nowhere to be found. It was odd to see him without at least a pair of bodyguards, and for a moment she was afraid someone could be searching her room.

If, for any reason, Daniel searched under her bed, all hope would be over. Aside from Bob's gifts, which now included a small crystal, two stones, two dried flowers and a colorful feather, something way more precious would be found there: two lists of names, one with their allies' code names written in red and the other with the names of all the scientists they had managed to identify, along with the dates and time of their respective landing and departure.

Daniel cleared his throat to get her attention. She had noticed his anger at the moment she had stepped in front of him, but now he seemed even more annoyed by the fact that she was staring at her bedroom door, instead of him.

-You took too long to come, even after I sent for you. -He glared at her with impatience clear in his tone.

-I'm sorry for that, Daniel, I just… I felt a connection with the girls, felt like they were purifying so quickly, I didn't want to interrupt the lesson… -She had already thought about a lie on their way back to her apartment, but Daniel interrupted her right away.

-Yeah, yeah… You had good intentions, the demons tried to lure you, I know. Still, it can't go unpunished, right? And I warned you they'd pay the price too, if something went wrong. -He raised one eyebrow as she gulped and opened her mouth to protest. -So, as discipline for that mistake, your next class will be cut by half.

Belle was speechless. Her eyes darted from Daniel's smirk to Corey's discreet smile of amusement, a few steps behind him and out of the bodyguard’s field of view. She wanted to thank him for whatever he had done to appease Daniel, but didn't think this was the best time to do so.

-That sounds fair… -Belle nodded, trying to keep the relief from her voice. -Although I really believe we've made a lot of progress today… I believe they need more time, not less. But… If you're sure that's what God wants you to do, I can't disagree.

Daniel frowned and looked behind him seekingCorey's support, before turning to face her again. The man immediately put on a straight face.

-I thought you'd be disappointed about having less time to preach… -He was the one who seemed disappointed.

-I am. -She nodded vigorously, decided to keep playing along with his ridiculous farse. -God gave me a mission and this is gonna delay my mission, but you know better than me, you wouldn't do that if it wasn't the best thing to do, right?

Daniel thought about it. She could tell he had been expecting her to cry and beg, or at least confront him, instead of accepting his terms right away.

-You will also pray for thrice as long as you've made me wait here. -He lifted his chin while showing her three fingers, as if defying her to protest. Belle sighed and moved to kneel over the stones. -Not wearing those clothes, are you dumb? You're gonna ruin the dress! Do you have any idea of how much it cost me?

His shouts echoed in the corridor and a silence followed.

-Sorry! I thought the plan was for it to be used only once. -She winced with her cheeks burning. -I'm gonna change, then, I'm sorry.

-You are gonna wear it only once, but I'll put all of them up for auction as soon as we become king and queen. People will pay through the nose to get it… -He scoffed and followed her with his fuming gaze as she headed for the bedroom. -I'll send a maid to help you. But first, wait a minute. How long did we wait, Fox?

-Twenty-two minutes, your majesty. -Corey answered immediately.

-Impossible. I sent for her when they were almost ten minutes late already. -Daniel sounded something between annoyed and suspicious. -How long since when she should be here till now?

-Forgive my mistake, your majesty. I assumed I should deduct the travel time. -Corey checked his watch and nodded. -Allow me to correct it, your majesty, fifty-four minutes total.

-I'm gonna be benevolent and make it fifty. So two hours and a half, Isabelle. -He nodded to himself. -I’ll come check your knees when the time is due. We're having dinner together tonight, so you'd better get rid of the Devil before I come back.

Belle had been kneeling over the stones for almost one hour when the door opened. Corey came in and sat on the sofa, giving her an apologetic smile.

-I believe half an hour would be more than enough to leave marks on your knees… You don't need to stay there all this time. -He shrugged, then patted the seat beside him. Belle hesitated. -He won't come. He's busy. I'm here to serve as his watchdog…

Belle huffed, then leaned on the wall to get up, feeling the pain in her joints as she did so. Corey got up and waited, ready to help her in case she needed it.

-I feel like a granny. -She grimaced, then limped her way to the armchair in front of him and toppled over it. -Thank you for lying about the total time… Is he still mad?

-He wasn't mad at all. -He smirked at her curious frown. -He was jealous. Green with envy, actually. I admire the way you make him lose his mind over absolutely nothing, out of nowhere… Keeps his brain occupied to the point he makes a mistake after the other, snowballing.

Belle didn't answer. She didn't want to know about Daniel's delusions and possessive thoughts toward her. Instead, she decided to test Corey's fidelity's limits.

-Why were you three alone when I got here? Where was his second redneck? -She tried to take a cautious path. Her expectation was for him to say the bodyguard had been killed, or downgraded, or anything similar.

-He was sent out of the palace and Daniel didn't want anyone to know, so he kept the other bodyguards’ schedules. They are gonna take a last risk and try to bring back a nurse that was sent out but never came back. -Corey's smile was gone. -You probably met her… She's not exactly well-disciplined, and, if she really had a fling with Desmond, I doubt she would lose the opportunity to come around and look down on you. That's just how she is, it's nothing personal.

Belle was speechless. So Corey knew about Ryan and Diana. He also knew Diana had been in contact with them. But most importantly, Daniel was coming for her, for the last time. Did that mean he would kill her, in case they couldn't rescue her this time? Belle tried not to think about that possibility.

-FBI have plans to track her down and get our location through her. I hope they succeed in bringing her. -She nodded, unwilling to talk about it. Not even in his dreams he would trick her into saying anything about their lives in Florida. -I have something I'd like to ask…

-Daniel has men inside the FBI too. They are about to get an injunction to shut down the operation for at least six or five hours. -Corey narrated the facts with a trembling voice, but he cleared his throat and went on. -As soon as the team's resources are cut down and they are forced to retreat to try to dispute the decision, Daniel's men will attack, and she'll be taken. If they fail, the order is to… Not leave her behind.

Belle understood the meaning of his words and gave him a couple of minutes for him to recompose himself. Even though Diana had been deliberately mean to her and didn't bother hiding her interest in Ryan, she didn't want anything bad to happen to her.

Besides, she could imagine the pain and fear Corey was going through, knowing that the woman he had feelings for was in danger, but being unable to do anything to protect her. Her empathy was trying to take over, but she had to remind herself that the man sitting in front of her was possibly the one responsible not only for Roy's death and for a trauma she would carry throughout her whole life, but also for her capture. She swallowed down the bile that came along with the image of Roy's head blowing up in front of her and managed to speak again.

-Let's hope that they fail in realizing they've failed, then, and just bring her anyway. -She sighed, eager to change the subject. -I have a question for you… I've heard you were downgraded for refusing to kill a cop. Who was it?

Corey straightened his back. She could see it in his eyes, he was wondering who had told her about that.

-Captain Williams. Daniel wanted to plant a bomb under his car, in retaliation for his refusal to force you to meet him. I told him it wasn't a good idea, and when he ordered me to be the one to do it, I refused. -He admitted nonchalantly. -He wanted me dead, at first, but I guess he realized I was right, when his focus changed from the Captain to me. He wouldn't succeed, anyway, I had warned Chief Riviera as soon as I got word of the plan.

-I see… But you were downgraded to Feline at the time, right? -She mused. Corey nodded, then a bitter smirk sprouted in his face. It looked like a proud smile from a big brother, the type that Bill would often give her, and that Ryan would show now and then, especially during her brief stay in his house. -Foxes are not Felines. Daniel might be crazy, but he's not uneducated.

Corey chuckled and shook his head.

-You're right, I defied him again, about six months ago. Spent almost four weeks in the Palace's prison for that. My permission to leave the palace was revoked too. The only time I left, after that, was when he came to rescue you. His trust in me was never the same, but I guess he's having trouble finding someone to replace me.

Belle thought about it and he watched her in silence.

-Was it the day you called me? I mean, that you called him but I was the one who answered it? -She bit her lower lip, trying to fit the pieces.

-Yes. -He didn't seem surprised about her immediately guessing it right.

-What did you refuse to do? -Belle sighed, afraid of what she would hear. She hoped it wasn't anything about hurting Ryan's parents, or Magda, or Marie. -What were you doing in his apartment?

-He wanted a file, and a jewel. But I couldn't find either. He ordered me to kidnap and torture a girl that knew about its existence…. I refused. I also had put Andrews on her tracks about a year before that, so I found a way of forcing her to put the girl and her mother under vigilance, so he was unable to get her. Thank God, he didn't find it was me. -Corey huffed. -Look, Belle, I'm trying to be honest with you. But that's enough. He's beginning to trust me again, cause, really, I'm the only one here who doesn't pretend to like to lick his boots. But I do pretend that I serve and care about him, and he likes it, the sensation that it's genuine and honest. I'm not his friend, and I am on your side. I am on Desmond's side, believe it or not!

Belle was a bit intimidated by his sudden change of mood. He sounded nervous, impatient… Maybe it was because he was afraid of losing Diana, but maybe it was due to the subject. She had to know.

-What was in the file? -She narrowed her eyes.

-Desmond wouldn't want you to know. -Corey shook his head.

-You said you didn't like it, when he hides things from me. -She tilted her head. -Was it just a lie or did you forget about it?

-No, Belle, I remember and I meant every word… I also remember that you said you weren't willing to betray his trust, that you didn't want to do things behind his back. -Corey raised one eyebrow. -Has it changed, or was it just a lie? Do you want to do something he doesn't want you to? Even if I assure you he'll be really upset and feel betrayed?

Belle thought about it again, then shook her head. They sat in silence and Corey started to bite his nails, spitting it now and then.

-So… Are you gonna help me meet the investors? -She gave him a fake smile, trying to sound as friendly as possible.

-Are you gonna tell me your intentions with that? -He didn't look at her, pretending to be picking at one of his nails.

-I can't. -She decided to be honest with him, at least a bit. If he was really on her side, he would understand. -I'm not gonna do anything dangerous, I just need to be there and to have people from that community of yours there, as many as possible.

Corey frowned, then slowly turned to face her.

-Are they in too? How come I don't know what it is about? -He seemed offended. -What the hell are you planning to do, Ross? Killing him won't change a thing, if that's your idea. He might seem like he rules everything here, but there's a lot of people behind it. He's just gonna be replaced and become a martyr.

-I'm not planning to kill anyone, don't be ridiculous! -Belle rolled her eyes. She would never plot to murder someone, but she also knew that, for the success of the investigations, capturing Daniel was essential. -That's not what it is about, I just want to meet the investors.

-They won't take a message from you. Do you think I haven't tried it? They are down to their necks in it. For one of them to be invited here, Daniel has to have something solid against them. They are not nice guys. -He scolded her, looking a lot like Ryan. -And even if you managed to convince them with your puppy eyes, the message would be intercepted in the search before they left the plane, and they would probably end up being eliminated.

-I won't even talk to them if I don't have to. -She shrugged. -I just need to be there by the time they land and the time they take flight…

Corey pressed his lips and thought for a while. Eventually he lifted his wrist to check the time and his face lit up.

-Are you planning to get our location by their time of arrival? -He gaped, staring at her intently. Belle was taken by surprise and looked away, not knowing what to do. -How? How will you triangle it? We'd have to know where they departed from and the time of their take-off…

He was agitated, looking suddenly anxious or cheerful, but then his eyes dropped to the floor and he sat in silence for a few seconds.

-No… It won't work. Even if you convinced them to help us, they couldn't know the time they left, Belle… -He sighed, seeming disappointed. -Daniel doesn't let them bring any electronic or mechanical devices… Watches are left behind, along with their clothes and other belongings.

-Are you letting me go there or not? -She frowned, feeling extremely frustrated and irritated.

Although she liked the idea of Corey really being an ally and helping her with her plan, she couldn't risk relying all her chances on hope. He could be pretending, only to gain her trust and betray her.

-Belle… Let me help you.

-Answer my question, Corey. Or leave. -She held her ground, sitting with her back straight.

Corey looked into her eyes for what felt like an eternity, but she wouldn't give in, staring right back.

-If you wont tell me, Bob will. -He said, simply, then got up and left the room.

Belle was restless after that. She measured the time by singing songs inside her head, calculating the approximate length of each one, then counting how many of them she had already sung. She had developed this skill while living with Ryan, since she hadn't had a watch for a long time. After the tenth song, she realized Daniel would be there soon and kneeled over the stones.

An urgent knock on the door let her know that Daniel was on his way to her room. It was a loud knock, not a discreet one as usual. This was an awesome sign, since it meant that both the knights standing watch on her door today were her allies.

Daniel came in with two bodyguards. He eyed her up and down, then signaled the men to leave the room and for her to get to her feet.

-Where's Fox? -He frowned.

-He left a while ago. -She muttered, getting up with a lot of effort. It wasn't necessary to pretend, her knees were really hurting a lot.

-Let me see your skin… Where did he go? -Daniel pulled her by her arm, even though it was predictable that she would lose balance. Belle had to lean on his shoulder to avoid falling face first on him. -Did he tell you?

-He's not my friend, we don't talk. -She rolled her eyes. She was in a really bad mood, but at least she didn't have to fake. But the fear of him finding out that Corey had helped her made her get full defensive. -Why don't you ask him? He probably wouldn't tell me, even if I did.

-I'm just asking, Belle, calm down. -Daniel looked offended by her irritation, but didn't mistreat her which surprised her. -Are you in pain?

-Yes. -She nodded. A group of maids came in, bringing a velvety dark green dress. Belle frowned. That dress looked tight. Not exactly risqué, but too sensual to Daniel's standards. He clicked his tongue to get her attention. -Yes, it is hurting.

-How much? -He scoffed and offered his hand to help her sit down. She wanted to ignore him, but after his recent behavior, she guessed it wouldn't be smart to hurt his pride now, so she pulled the hem of her gown up, just enough so he could see the red skin on her bruised knees. -It looks bad… I hope you've learned your lesson.

Belle just stared at him. She could point out his lack of empathy and how incoherent it was, that he would say he loved her and then enjoy her pain, but didn't think it would be worth it. Instead, she headed for her bedroom and got dressed, with the aid of the maids, hoping that Daniel wouldn't come to check on her before she had her whole body covered.

As she had guessed, the dress showed a lot more than the other ones she had worn until then. It reminded her of Princess Diana's off shoulder revenge dress, but it wasn't so short, although it had a side slit that showed practically her whole right thigh. Attached to the shoulders, there were lace sleeves that covered her arms all the way to her tattoo, and Belle was impressed about how clever it had been designed, since the patterns in the lace covered the lilies completely.

Her hair was braided with pearls and golden strands, and a huge emerald pendant was hanging between her breasts. She looked like a modern princess from a movie.

-Tonight I want you to keep your mouth shut. -Daniel explained as soon as she walked in front of him, taking her body in, over and over again, especially her cleavage and hips.-You just need to show your beauty and how obedient and devoted you are to me. Was I clear?

Belle nodded.

-If you disappoint or embarrass me, even if by accident, your classes are over. -He paused and watched her expression, but she did her best not to show how apprehensive she was due to his words. - If you behave, though… If you do, I have plans for you. Tomorrow we'll bring new blood to the palace… I think you should teach them. From what I heard some of the sheeps behaved better today, I think the new flock could benefit from learning the right way first, even before serving.

Belle was paralyzed for a moment, but Daniel didn't seem to notice. So maybe her efforts would be in vain. He would keep bringing new girls to the plates. Even if she managed to save all the ones that were there today, he would bring more. It was a lost war.

But just when she felt the tears coming, she closed her eyes and saw Ryan's face. It's not so bad, not that much. Soon the FBI will find us and if I can guarantee that at least a dozen of those women won't suffer so much until then, it'll already be a win. I must not lose hope, Ryan will come for me, he'll find us!

-What are you thinking about? -Daniel frowned.

-What is your criteria for bringing women here? -She murmured, trying to keep her focus on finding a way of ending the Plates, if possible. Daniel eyed her with suspicion clear on his face. -I'm just curious.

-They are usually lost souls. Girls that go to parties, bars, night clubs… The type that gets drunk or high and has no anchor to trigger a serious investigation. Sometimes we get a tip from one of our followers, of a broken sheep that needs discipline, someone that the family wouldn't bother trying to find out what happened to them. -Daniel shrugged while he took her hand to lead her toward the door. The bodyguards joined them immediately. It was a huge group, with at least ten knights and six bodyguards. She wondered why the security level was this high for that meeting. Some of the bodyguards got into the elevator first, then they got in with only two of them, and she assumed the rest would follow after they reached their destination. -Why did you ask? Did you have another of those visions during your penitence? Did you get some message?

Belle stared at him, feeling confused. So he did really believe that insanity, it was not just for show. She could use his blind faith in her favor.

-Yes, that was it… God wants us to stop the plates, to stop bringing girls. -As soon as the words left her mouth, she regretted them. Daniel looked into her eyes as if he wanted to rip them off. -I mean, that's what He told me…

-Did he? How? How did he tell you that? What were his words exactly? -Daniel took her by her jaw and pulled her close. -If I find out you've been using the holy name to try to fool me, to try to ruin me, I'm gonna kill you, I'm gonna split you in half, you slutty dirty piece of shit!

Belle gulped. She couldn't think of elaborate words to say and make him believe God had told them to her. Instead, she decided to explore his imagination.

-No, I'm just saying what I saw…. I saw an open field. There were like a thousand white sheeps there, walking around. Then there was a fence and the fence grew like vines and cloistered them. -Daniel let go of her jaw and leaned back on the elevator wall, with a weird expression on his face. It looked like he was afraid and amazed, at the same time. That was the motivation she needed to keep lying, so she did. -I tried to break the fence, but it wouldn't work, and the sheeps were growing in numbers, but every time a new sheep was born, it was black and the sheeps near the fence too, turned gray, then black.

She went on, saying she had tried to touch them all, turning them into golden ones, but that every time one of them touched the fence they would become black again. When the door of the elevator opened, Daniel told the bodyguard near the door to shut it. Belle took a deep breath, hoping that he was buying it all.

She needed to elaborate. Daniel didn't believe she could do anything alone, so there had to be someone else to share credit with. She remembered him saying, a few minutes ago, that some of the girls at the Plates were behaving better. It meant more than one, but that was all that she could tell for sure. Two would be a safe number.

-But then two golden sheeps came and helped me break the fence. -She checked his expression and saw a glimpse of curiosity there, mixed with something resembling fear. -As soon as it was down, the other sheeps came out running and when I looked around they were all golden.

Daniel just kept staring at her, then cleared his throat and ordered the bodyguard to open the door.

-Keep your mouth shut. I don't want to hear your voice unless I ask you something, do you understand?

Belle nodded and he walked out of the elevator, then turned to offer her his arm so they could walk together. The high heels were a bit uncomfortable and her knees were hurting a lot, so she leaned on him.

When the double doors opened, she found herself inside a huge ballroom, much like Disney’s Beauty and the Beast’s ballroom. There was a gigantic chandelier hanging in the middle of it, and the marble floor had a colorful mosaic of a tree made of birds.

The columns were covered with carvings, which reminded her of Ryan's description of a temple he had visited with his brother and Magda in India.

Her chest hurt when she remembered that she had asked, jokingly, if he would take her there to see it in person one day and he had smiled, then murmured “Maybe. Let's hope so.”, making her heart flutter with the idea that he could be considering assuming their relationship after they were back in New York.

She was so entranced by the beauty of the place that she was barely aware of Daniel pushing her forward as they climbed up the spiral stairs, with her leg being scandalously exposed every time she climbed a step.

The first thing she saw was a long table with ten seats, and that all of them were occupied, but three.

2. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've split the chapter in two, adding a bit of what would be the next chapter in it. If I finish revising the next one till Saturday, I'll post chapter 15 (so we'll have two chapters this week =P) wish me luck ;)

3. arinzone

arinzone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeayyy:D:D

GiBro likes this.
  4. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers, hope you're all doing fine =)

I won't be able to post tonight, so I'll post it on Tuesday, ok? Thank you for your support :love:

arinzone and TZia like this.
  5. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 15

As soon as their heads poked up on the balcony all the men sitting there got up and bowed slightly. All of them kept their eyes on Daniel until they both got to their seats, sitting only after he explicitly told them to. A maid came and pulled up the chair at the head of the table for Daniel, then one close to him for Belle. The seat by his right was empty and wasn't taken during the whole meal.

Daniel started the meeting with a speech about restoring the moral and Christian values in the country, then went on to complain about political correctness and what he called human rights’ plague. Belle took this opportunity to check the faces of each one of the guests.

They were mostly white old men she had already met during the week and she knew their names by heart, although she had never heard of them before. From all the scientists and researchers that had attended Daniel's big event, those seemed to be the less famous or relevant, either in academic or social circles. No one paid much attention to Belle, although she could feel eyes on her now and then.

One one of them brought his glass of wine up to take a sip, Belle involuntarily gasped, interrupting a conversation between Daniel and a biologist about the need to elect a President and a congress that would allow broader studies about biological weapons, since they both believed China was light-years ahead on this subject. All eyes turned to her, including Daniel's green hateful pair, but she couldn't take her own eyes from the old man's wrinkled hand. He was wearing a large golden ring with four stones in it. Each stone had a different color, although the two ones at the extremities were both green, just in different shades and texture.

The man caught her staring and gave her a crooked smile, then raised his glass at her, as if inviting her for a toast, even though she was the only one sitting that hadn't been served wine.

Daniel had explained that women shouldn't be allowed to drink, except when alone with their husbands in their bedroom. The explanation hadn't surprised her: women were vile creatures with a tendency for trying to seduce men without criteria or shame. He believed that the alcohol could disinhibit her too much and that she would lure his guests into sinful thoughts or behaviors.

-What in God's name do you think you're doing? -Daniel's voice startled her when he murmured in her ear. She turned her head to look at him and find out what he could be annoyed about now. -Really? Are you gonna flirt with men in front of me?

-I'm not… I'm… I didn't do anything! -She opened her eyes wide and shook her head. He tilted his head then glanced back and forth between her and the man she had been supposedly gazing at, although apparently he had assumed it was the one sitting to the man's left, a younger dark-haired man who was fairly handsome. -I was just… I was thinking about my father, he…

-Do you know him? Did your father tell you about him? He looks too young. -Daniel turned his head to scrutinize the guy's face, then back to her and clicked his tongue when she shook her head. -Then what? What does he have to do with your father?

Belle realized she didn't want to tell him anything new about herself and her father to him, so she just gulped and shook her head.

-Nothing. I'm sorry, I won't look anymore. -She let her gaze fall over the glazed duck over the table and sighed. -But you should know that I don't have the slightest interest in any man that would willingly set foot in this place…

-I'll assume you're excluding me from that remark. -He said bluntly and she kept silent.

A couple of glasses of wine later, they started to discuss business. Daniel was irritated about what he called “science of stupidity”, complaining about beliefs that were being inserted in the common society and wildly spread, apparently using their own resources on many occasions. For the first time Belle felt like she could be on his side. Among the things he was criticizing were the flat-Earth theory, anti-vac conspiracy, climate change denial and other general anti-scientific beliefs.

His complaining had nothing to do with the consequences of those beliefs or how it deviated from the facts, but with its association with Christianity. He was angry because he felt that science was distancing itself from Christian faith when it put creationism in the same basket as “those retarded ideas and ideals”. He claimed that scientists should validate Adam and Eve, even if they had to make up evidence, so that unbelievers wouldn't have a place in the scientific field and they could attract and educate those dumb morons who were disseminating stupid things like microchips in vaccines.

To Belle's surprise, what came next was a brainstorming session where all the guests suggested solutions to the problem. One of them, a bioengineer, suggested that they should create and spread a virus to eliminate a specific group of people, claiming that he could do it, given proper time and sponsorship. Fortunately Daniel dismissed the idea almost immediately, saying that taking risks of a biological weapon getting out of control was out of the question at the moment. Belle gave him a small smile of approval, which made him puff his chest like a peacock.

After what felt like hours of discussion, they came to the conclusion that the best strategy would be to start by the media and them to the government, first making sure one thing would be disassociated from the others through common sense, so they could force the supreme court's hand to rule that schools should teach creationism as science, first as a secondary theory, then gradually make it a priority.

When she thought it was over and they were enjoying the desserts, Daniel got up again and started to congratulate each one of the men sitting at the table for their contributions for their cause. From fake scientific discoveries that supported intelligent-design theories, or racism, or homophobia or any idea Daniel's supporters needed validation for, Belle was dismayed to find that there were numerous absurdities those supposed scientists were planning or doing to help Daniel, from weapons to social experiments.

Finally, the dinner was over and they all got up. Belle was mentally and physically exhausted, but, unfortunately, she wasn't immediately dismissed. Daniel took them downstairs where a table with fruits and drinks had been set during their meal. A string quartet was ready and started to play right away.

-I just need you to judge the competence of the musicians before you go. -Daniel huffed. -I need to know if I should keep them until Christmas and New Year's Eve parties.

She knew he hated most instruments, but violins and piano. He would often say that the cello was a violin made for fat lazy people and that guitarists, drummers and bassists were usually imbeciles with a tendency to drown in sex and drugs.

-They are nice. -She nodded after a while. -They are on tune, and their sync is good, but I would say something is missing…

-I miss the piano. -Daniel grunted. Belle agreed but didn't say anything. -Couldn't find a decent pianist…

She kept her mouth shut. As much as she felt eager to touch the keys of a piano, she couldn't help but believe this was a trap.

-I'll see what I can do… Well, maybe I should get a chamber orchestra? -He mused. -I don't think an actual orchestra would fit in here…

-That would be a bit too much, maybe? -She turned it into a question at his warning glare, but couldn't understand how he'd gather that many musicians when he hadn't managed to get a decent quartet, even if ignoring the absurdity of the general idea. Why am I even bothering? We won’t be here anymore anyway by Christmas, you arrogant idiot… -I'm sorry, Daniel, I don't think I'll be of any help with this.

-You're right, you won't. Fox? -He rolled her eyes at her and turned to Corey. Belle hadn't noticed the redhead man standing close behind her. -Take her to her chambers.

Corey bowed slightly, but before he turned to Belle, Daniel snapped his fingers and pointed at him, with his finger inches from his nose.

-By the way, heed my words… No matter the excuse, if you leave her without supervision again not by my explicit order, I won't give you another chance. We'll talk about it tonight. -His expression changed from angry to calm in a blink of an eye and his tone assumed a businesslike air. -Tomorrow we'll see our guests out. Those are the last ones before our grand event, then I'll need your definitive answer, or else I won't need your opinion anymore.

-I thought about all the variables, your majesty. I can't see any reason for her not to be with you, my Lord. If anything, she'll be proof of how powerful you're becoming. -Corey half bowed. -There is not a slight possibility of something bad happening to her. I can assure her safety and that she won't try to escape.

Daniel's face lit up.

-Fine. Call the High Priestess and tell her that I need Belle to look flawless. -He smirked and eyed Belle up and down. -Perfection, that's what I need. I'll have a special guest soon, as a test.

Corey nodded and offered his arm to her. She took it only because her feet were hurting really badly.

-Did Bob tell you? -She murmured once they were at the end of the corridor, low enough so the guards walking behind them wouldn't listen.

-Yes. It's a good plan. And I think I can help. With the transmission, I mean. -He almost wouldn't move his lips. -It's risky, I might get caught, and if that happens…

-I want to be the one to do that. -She cut him and he stopped in front of the elevator without looking at her.

When the door opened, he instructed two of the guards to go up first, while two others took the stairs, then waited for the elevator again to get in with her. When a knight tried to come in with them, he held up a hand.

-You go up with the others right behind us. I need you to make sure no one will follow us upstairs. -The knight frowned but nodded. As soon as the doors closed Corey turned to face her. -I know you don't trust me, but that's insane. You won't be able to get in on your own. You won't know how to transfer the data. A passcode is needed. You don't even have one, and if I give you mine, it's the same as going there myself, the time and date of the access will be recorded. Let me help you, Belle.

-Help me get Daniel's code, then. And it can't be this difficult to post a message. -She frowned. -I'm not dumb, I can get by. I just need you to get me his code.

-That'll be impossible. -He huffed and shook his head as if he thought she was insane. -Besides, if we post anything they can read, it will be immediately taken down. We'll need to cipher it first.

-I can do it, I was the one who developed the cipher, remember? -His surprised expression let her know that he didn't know about it. -I didn't mean to help him. I don't remember how it happened.

-You have no idea… The kind of shit he was able to do because of it… The risks I've taken to stop him… You screwed me. -Corey's face was crimson. Even then, he kept his voice very low and took a deep breath to calm himself. -God, I'm pissed with you.

-I'm sorry. -She was indeed sorry, but not only for him. -Corey… I need to know if I can really trust you. Where were you that night? Why was Roy there, instead of you?

Corey was silent. She stared daggers at him until the door opened. The men waiting for them eyed them with apprehension, but gave way and they waited for the rest of the scout team to come up before heading for the stairs.

Belle didn't bother hiding her hateful thoughts toward Corey. If the knights told Daniel that they were fighting, he would probably like it. When they got to her bedroom, Corey told two of the knights to stay at the door, two others to call the maids to help Belle take the dress off, instructing them to search them for any object that could be used as a weapon, then sent the rest in a patrol one floor above and one under, just to make sure no one could be hiding with the intention to harm her.

-What was that for? -Belle frowned as soon as they were alone.

-Daniel's orders. He's paranoid. -Corey shrugged. -About your question… Promise me you'll hear me out and try to understand my position.

-Corey, did you turn in Ryan's address? -She was annoyed. The last thing she needed was to be tricked by him, again. -I believe that's what you did. And that you weren't there because you knew the attack would happen that night.

-No, that's not what happened. -He shook his head, looking half embarrassed, half offended. -I would never reveal his location on purpose!

-What happened, then? -She got up and crossed her arms over her chest. Her intention was to intimidate him, but even standing while he was sitting, she felt small. -Tell me all the truth. You avoided the question last time.

-Yeah, because I don't want you to hate me… -Corey sighed and looked down. -I was with Daniel. But, wait, that's not…

-I knew it! You betrayed us! And then you come and tell me I should trust you? Do you think I'm an…

-Not by will! I had been trying to get in contact with him for a while, then Diana, Destiny, the woman you met, she… It's complicated, at first I just tried to get close to her, to try to get more information. But we got involved in… We got close for real. Her life story is heavy, she doesn't have much of a choice now, she got a lot of people trying to pin her down.

-Corey, I don't care about Diana. Did you give Daniel the address or not?

-I… Diana set me up. She didn't know. She thought she was helping me, but Daniel sent men for me and they took my phone, they searched me for wires… It was terrifying, I thought it would be my end. But then he came into the room, in person. I knew it was a basement of sorts, no windows, the air was damp… He asked me if I wanted to join him, if I was willing to prove my loyalty to him… There was only one right answer.

-You chose to be responsible for the death of a father and husband, who did nothing wrong. You chose to put my life and Ryan's at risk. All to save your own ass!

-Diana told me that they had gotten the location through my phone already. It was too fast, I didn't have time to plan or think… She herself didn't know it was Ryan they were trying to get to, or else, I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to stop Daniel on her own. -Corey hid his face on his palms. -But I did everything I could to help Desmond. I kind of warned him… I think you'd both be dead if I hadn't.

-How? How did you warn him? -Her curiosity was mixed with mistrust.

Corey could be trying to confuse her with a new narrative, but hearing that he had been with Daniel on the night he had tried to kill Desmond and kidnap her was just too much evidence of his betrayal to ignore.

-I had my watch with me, although it was turned off. I think that was why they missed it when they took my things away. I turned it on and I used the emergency beacon to warn a friend. She didn't know exactly where I was, but she knew I was part of Desmond's watch so… She sent the police there, and an ambulance.

-Who's that friend? -Belle frowned.

-Irrelevant. -Corey shrugged.

-Hardly! She knew Ryan's address. She knew you were supposed to be protecting him, what if she was working for Daniel?

-She wasn't. She knows Desmond and doesn't want him dead. She's my sister in law and I won't let you talk shit about her. She's very ill, and even so she did everything in her power to assure the police would check if we both were alright. -Corey grew even more irritated. -You are quick to judge, Isabelle, but what about admitting that, had you stayed in the damn basement, Roy would probably still be alive today?

Belle shut up and stared at him, in shock. Though his words were harsh, they were true. She gulped down the hot stingy lump in her throat and shook her head.

-I know it was my fault too… -she whispered. -I know. But still, you showed him the way. You guided him to me, twice.

-I didn't, Isabelle. I was unfortunate. He caught me by surprise. I thought I was using Diana, when in reality they were six steps ahead of me. -He pressed his lips, looking ashamed. -Diana, too, thought she could control him, but she got tangled to her neck, stuck between him and the FBI. I don't blame her, it's fucking terrifying when you have to decide between life or death without even knowing what's at stake if you decide to live. Sometimes the line is just too thin, Belle, sometimes you can't tell if you're making the better decision right away.

Belle looked down. She remembered her own reaction when she had seen Ryan's head being shot. She could've killed Trevor, and it hadn't even been for self preservation.

-I'm sorry, Corey, but how can you say it was not betrayal? -She couldn't look at him, but knew his eyes were on her. -You gave him the means to find us, twice.

-No. I'll take the blame for the first time. I was thoughtless and naive. She lured me and I fell for it. -Corey sighed. -When Daniel tested me, he had already checked and knew the address he had found in my location history was Desmond's house. I was dumb, not dishonest. The second time, it was all your fault, not mine.

Belle frowned and looked up at him.

-Don't you dare look at me that way! You had contact not with one, but three of his men. You hung out with the ex of one of them, you've humiliated another one and, for God sake, why? Why would you go anywhere near Aaron? I had everything planned, Diana would shut him down. She had everything planned, but then Desmond screwed her up and one week later you decided to turn yourself in.

Belle opened her mouth to protest, but couldn't dispute his point of view of what had happened. She knew who he was talking about. Viper, aka Anna, Carter’s ex, although she had never talked to the girl before the night of her kidnapping, Noah had told her that the girl had been arrested; Caesar, the obnoxious boy who had a birthmark on his face; and Aaron, Belle's greatest regret.

-How did he find us? How did he find me? -She whined. -Why didn't Aaron just give him our address then? Why didn't Daniel send someone to the University and…

-Viper was only aware of your existence after she was arrested. She wasn't connected to the group before that. She was indeed planning some heavy shit but she was a lone wolf. When Daniel listed the ones he would rescue she caught his attention. -He put his thumb up, then his index finger. -Forty-nine is a dick. He found out about the blog, and he's obviously an incel, so he jumped in for ideological reasons. When Daniel invited him to the inner circle, he decided to talk. But you weren't in the university anymore. He pointed out a few people that were supposedly your friends, but there was no evidence of any contact between you. The only one left to investigate was Noah, but his father was Daniel's partner. He couldn't mess up with him.

-But Aaron knew where I lived with Ryan…

-He also knew that his father and brother could be harmed or even killed if a conflict took place there. He said he didn't know and we all believed him. -Corey shrugged. -And then Daniel offered him a deal under the condition that he would convince his brother to take you somewhere quiet and far enough from the city. I guess Aaron decided not to involve Noah, and got killed in his place. It was ok to Daniel, in a way, since not many of us knew about their deal, but… If Anthony finds out who was behind it…

Belle was lost in thoughts for a while and Corey stared at the fireplace until the maids came in to help Belle take off the dress. When she came back to the living room, the redhead was standing. He waited until the three women left the room, then sighed.

-I need to go. Bob will come and keep you company while I'm gone. I'll come back before Daniel comes to check on you. -He turned to leave, but Belle stopped him, rushing to hold him by his sleeve. When he turned, his eyes were alert. -Are you ok?

-Corey… I want to trust you. But I need you to prove that you're on my side. -She murmured, feeling frustrated with the sensation of uncertainty. Corey looked at her expectantly. -I need you to get me his code. It can't be done with someone else's code, he'll kill whoever gives me that access.

-He'll kill anyone who lets you get there. Anyone who lets you get out of here. -Corey frowned, treating her as if she was a child once again. -And I already told you, it's impossible. His passcode is huge. It has more than twenty numbers.

-What? Does he type twenty numbers every time he goes there? -She shook her head. -That's insane! And stupid… And paranoid.

-You've just described Daniel. You forgot “arrogant and egocentric”. -Corey scoffed. -It's not easy to spot any number. I only know it ends with two zeros, cause I accidentally came inside the cabin before the door was open. He was pissed and I thought he would change the password, but apparently that didn't happen. Or it did, but he kept it that long.

Belle thought about it. She couldn't think of any number this long. At first she had thought about Pi, a number she didn't doubt Daniel knew the first twenty digits by heart. But Corey had said it had zeros in it.

-Does the buttons emit any sound when pressed? -She sighed.

-Yes, but they sound the same. -Corey shrugged. -I could count them next time, but I don't know if that would be useful…

-It will. -Belle nodded.

-Ok. Tomorrow we'll have new girls arriving, so… If he takes me tonight to send the message, I should have the exact number tomorrow. It should be easy, he types in groups of three.

Belle nodded to herself, trying to remember any number with more than twenty digits that could be important to Daniel.

Bob didn't come. Instead, a muscular man came and said that Bob was injured and would spend a few days recovering. When she tried to get more information about what had happened, the man frowned and gave her a look that let her know it was none of her business. She was worried for her friend, especially since she knew that Corey had interrogated him that morning and was afraid that his method could involve some kind of torture.

Daniel, though, unfortunately came. Right after Corey came in and sent the man away, Daniel strode in, completely drunk. He urged Corey to leave the room, saying that he wanted to be left alone with Belle.

While she tried to get rid of his hands and avoid his kisses, Corey reminded him that he had ordered the man to keep him from being seduced by Belle. He also informed him that they had to get everything ready for the new knight's arrival, since this time there would be new sheeps too, and they needed to send the encrypted instructions to the pilots.

Belle silently thanked him and rushed to her bed, praying that Daniel wouldn't come back in the middle of the night, and hoping that his drunken condition wouldn't make it more difficult for Corey to get his code.

The next morning her class started much earlier, when the sun wasn't even up yet. This time the girls seemed to be feeling a lot more comfortable about attending the classes, if not for the chance of being freed for good, the opportunity of staying out of prison for a moment. They talked about the worst situations that frequently happened at the plates, and Belle was surprised to find that the women were treated like lepers when on their periods.

She couldn’t get the details about the story because their class was suddenly interrupted when Daniel summoned her to get dressed. When she got in the room, the maids were waiting for her with a dress, brushes, lots of jewelry and make up.

Belle stepped out of the car and immediately heard the sobs and pleads. The airplane had just landed, and the girls were being lined up. A man came with a notebook, checking their faces and bodies up and down before writing something down. Sometimes he would take their chin to lift their heads or pull them by their shoulders to make them turn around.

-What is he doing? -She asked Daniel, but he wasn't paying attention. Corey stepped close and murmured in her ear, explaining that the guard was taking notes on their appearance and number. -What for?

She shivered with the thought that the girls could be selected for the plates, and the ones that didn't match certain prerequisites would be killed.

-In case one of them manages to run away. It's a bit chaotic here sometimes, with airplanes coming and going, the buses coming to get them, not to mention that the palace is huge. If the counts don't match, they'll look for a person with those characteristics. -He looked uncomfortable, then whispered almost inaudibly. -They are treated like cows, from the moment they are taken to the moment they die.

Belle sighed, doing her best not to cry. She had hoped Daniel would stop taking girls to the palace after she had told him about her fake vision, but apparently he hadn't given a second thought to it. She didn't think it would be smart to come up with new visions now, especially after his warning about his suspicions that she was using his faith to manipulate him.

A second airplane landed and Daniel's mood seemed to shift. He smiled and took her hand, pulling her toward it. Since the other airplane was occupying a good portion of the airstrip nearer to the narrow road that led to the gates, they would have to walk a lot to get to the knights.

-Belle? Belle! -A voice called her when they passed by the line of girls. She could hear another girl howling and begging to be released. -Let go of me! Belle!

She turned her head and tried to stop walking, but Daniel jerked her by her arm and grunted.

-What are you doing? -His face contorted with annoyance.

-Mia? -Belle whined. -Oh no… Mia!

She yanked her arm free and ran toward her friend. To her horror, right beside the Asian girl, who wore a much shorter haircut, which explained why Belle hadn’t recognized her right away, Hanna was on the floor, a few feet behind, being kicked in her stomach by a guard who was urging her to get to her feet.

-Belle! I thought he had killed you! -Mia was crying, her hands were tied, but she brought them up in front of her, as if inviting Belle for a hug. -What's going on? Where are we?

Belle was almost close enough to touch her hands when she felt a hand closing around her nape and another around her biceps, and she was jerked to a stop. Daniel was staring at her with furious eyes. His green eyes moved from Belle's desperate face to the girl trembling and crying in front of her.

-You better start explaining, before I cut that bitch’s throat.

6. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, so the pace is picking up again!
    How did Mia and Hanna end up at Daniel’s palace of horrors? It wasn’t Aaron since he was killed. Where are Noah and JP?
    And who is the old man that Belle seemed to recognize at the table of Daniel’s guest? It was subtle but what made Belle gasp like that? Is it someone from her past?
    Can’t wait for the next chapter and I miss Ryan. We have not had any news from him for a while:cry::cry::cry:

arinzone and GiBro like this.
  7. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @GiBro , when will we have the next update?

arinzone and GiBro like this.
  8. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now, I'm late, but I'm back =(
    Next chapter will be Ryan's POV ;) I hope this is enough to make up for my delay =.

9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 16

-Daniel, please! -Belle was trying not to cry while Corey pushed her back to Daniel's side.

He had half patiently listened to her explanation that Mia and Hanna had studied with her in Florida and that they were her friends. At the mention of the university Daniel's eyes flared up and he immediately interrogated Mia about Belle's husband. After confirmation that Mia had never met Ryan and couldn't describe what he looked like, though, his interest vanished and he forced Belle to turn away. Fortunately Hanna didn't get his attention at all, since she seemed to be in no condition of answering any questions.

-Let's go, Belle, we have a schedule. You are delaying me. -He grunted, reaching out to grab her forearm, but she flinched away. -Fox, bring her here!

Belle tried to get rid of Corey's grip and when he squeezed her biceps as warning, she turned and tried to kick him between his legs. Even though he realized her intention and tried to block her leg with his other hand, he wasn't quick enough and she landed it. Corey immediately let go of her and took a step back, sucking in the air through his teeth.

-What is this, Isabelle? Stop! -Daniel got enraged and reached for her throat, but she jumped back, bumping against one of the bodyguards’ chest, then pushing away from him before he could hold her down. Daniel took a deep breath and said through gritted teeth. -Stop it, right now! You're embarrassing me…

-If you take them to that place, I won't do anything you ask me to! I'm asking you nicely, Daniel! -She felt her face burning while her heart pounded, and knew that tears of anger and frustration were about to come. -I did every single thing you told me to! I did everything you wanted, I'm not asking much. It's horrible enough that you won't stop bringing women and… Doing that to them. My friends won't be sent there.

Daniel paused with narrowed eyes and pursed lips. He was furious. He reached out again, but this time not to hold her. His fist missed her face by inches when she flinched back.

-Your majesty! -Corey and another knight tried to intervene. -There's no need to…

All the knights watching the scene were surprised, but some looked like they were enjoying the situation. Daniel tried to punch her again, this time on her chest, but she shoved his arm away with both hands and lost her balance, landing on her side on the ground. He was fuming with rage and seemed to be deafened and blinded by rage. When he moved to kick her, Corey rushed and stepped beside Daniel.

-Your majesty, the newcomers are here. They are seeing this all. -He whispered practically in one breath. He turned to Belle with a frown. -I think your majesty would agree it would be more convenient to solve this between four walls…

Daniel huffed and ran his fingers through his hair, then walked toward Belle again, this time seeming much more calm and closed his fist in the front of her dress, pulling it with a tug. Belle could hear the fabric ripping on the sides of her torso and used her hands to help herself to her feet before he tore it completely.

-Take her to the Plates. Now. Discreetly. -He said it then turned his back to her, walking straight toward the knights.

-My Lord? -Lion rushed to stand near her and turned his head back and forth to look at Daniel's back, then to the redhead's pale face. -Did he just say that we should take her to…

-The Plates, yes. -Corey was still half bent due to the kick Belle had landed in his groin. He leaned on his knees and sighed, finally letting show how much pain he was in. -Shit… Why did you do that?

His voice was low enough so the bodyguards and knights following Daniel wouldn't hear him, but Lion and four other knights were near enough, not to mention the nearest girls and the two knights watching them.

-You were trying to restrain me, I just reacted… -Belle tried to sound apologetic, although her focus was somewhere else. -Corey, you need to help me take those two girls…

-You need to shut up. -Corey cut her with a glare. -And call me Fox. Better yet, don't talk to me!

Belle didn't know what to do. When he took her hand and headed back to the car, she tried to resist, but Lion pushed her by her shoulder.

-You've lost this battle, Belle. Don't make things even worse. -Lion whispered near her ear, trying to appease her. -I'm sorry for your friend, we'll try to help her later.

Corey chose two other knights to escort them to the palace and ordered four others to go first, in another car, and make sure the way was cleared up.

They got inside the car with Corey to her right and Lion to her left. As soon as the doors were closed, the redhead cop let out a loud groan.

-Give me one good reason for what you just did, Ross! Are you stupid or just crazy? Really? Did you think you would humiliate him in front of a dozen of his men, a bunch of women, whom he thinks are worth less than a dogshit, not to mention his brand new bootlickers, and get away with it? -Corey didn't bother keeping his voice low. In fact he was practically shouting. -You are the most arrogant, stubborn, inconsequential chick I've ever met!

Belle was just staring at him, not knowing what to say. Lion and the other two guards seemed to agree with him, but kept silent too.

-Belle… What Fox is trying to say is… You should start thinking about your own safety first. -Lion put his hand over her knee and only then she realized she had been shaking it repeatedly up and down very fast. -It's like when you're in an airplane… You put your own mask first, then you help the others. What he's trying to say is that you've put yourself, and us, as a consequence, in danger, without any chance of getting anything in return.

-But… -She tried to explain herself, but didn't know how to begin. -I need to help them.

-He could have shot you. He could have killed your right on the spot. -Corey shook his head and looked away. -He might kill them both just to teach you a lesson. I think that's exactly…

-Fox, don't. -Lion shook his head. -Don't say that, there's no use in…

-Shut up. -Corey didn't turn to face them, but she knew he was angry. Instead, he looked down and pursed his lips. -Ross, listen to me. I'm telling you this because I don't wanna be next. Daniel will probably kill them both as soon as he gets to the Plates. He'll make you watch.

Belle just sat there and cried in silence. Her mind was racing, trying to find a solution not only to the problem she had caused, but for the Plates. She would lose her mind if Mia and Hanna suffered the consequences for her mistakes, one way or another.

-Please… Please help me stop it. -She whined. Corey looked into her eyes, pitying her. -Please.

-Promise me you won't do anything remotely like this ever again. -He sighed. -Ross, you need to stop defying him, especially in front of others. Be smart, don't push farther than you can take.

She nodded vigorously. He shook his head and looked down.

-What are we gonna do? -Lion murmured. -We can't just leave her at the Plates. I won't do that, they'll hurt her.

-We'll take her to her bedroom. -He answered in a low but firm tone.

-He said the Plates. He said now. -The knight on the passenger's seat made a face. -We have to take her directly to the Plates.

-Her dress is too dark. She needs to change before getting into the corridor. -Corey nodded to himself. -She'll have to change first, he would agree.

-She wore yellow there. A guard told me, they let her wear yellow there. -Lion grunted. -It won't work. We'll all get in trouble if we don't head straight to the Plates…

-Yellow is light enough. And Daniel explicitly ordered for a color different than white that day. Said she looked ugly in white. -Corey insisted. -We'll take her to her room first and then we'll send for maids to help her change, then… Then, if there's no other choice, we'll take her to the Plates.

They sat in silence until they parked in front of the palace, then the knight at the passenger's seat cleared his throat.

-He didn't specify the color of the Plates… -He murmured. -If it's not red… We know what will happen to her.

-Golden and red. -Corey got out of the car and held out his hand to help her, but she got out on her own. -She'll have golden and red.

-He didn't say… I think red would be enough. -The knight insisted.

-No. She'll have both. If they are allowed to get in, they could claim it was self defense, like Coyote tried to do, remember? -Corey got out and started walking, holding Belle's hand again. When they got in the corridor, he put her hand over his forearm and walked beside her. -I'm sorry for yelling at you, Belle. Do you think you can, please, stop crying? We don't want to draw attention or spark rumors… And please let's not talk until we get inside the elevator.

And so they did. Belle kept her head low, so people passing by them wouldn't see her face. Only Lion got inside the elevator with them. Corey turned to him as soon as the door closed.

-One of us will have to go and bring the priestess. I want you to go, ok? -Corey murmured and gave Lion a sideways glance. -I need you to take as much time as you can.

-He's gonna think I'm doing it on purpose. I can't, Fox, you know I can't. -Lion shook his head and looked away. He seemed to be uncomfortable with Belle listening to their exchange. -Why don't you go?

-I'll have another mission.It has to be you. I know he threatened you last time, but I'll stand by you, don't worry… I need someone I can trust doing this. Look for Priestess Angela, she's older, and she always takes a lot longer to pick the gowns. Do it, I don't have many options here, the others won't care enough about her to put their necks in line.

-Easy for you to say… -Lion shook his head again and huffed. -Right, I'll do what I can.

He reached for a button on the panel but Corey stopped him.

-I'll tell you to do that once we're in the room and the maids are there to help her undress and clean her face. -He explained. -We'll get more time this way.

-We're both gonna end up in the pits. -Lion groaned and got out of the elevator as soon as the doors opened.

Everything was made with a false rush, taking much longer than usual, but with everyone involved speaking or walking faster than they would in another situation. Corey gave orders, first to the knights who weren't their allies, sending them away to take care of complicated tasks, then gathering the ones who he trusted the most.

-Ok, the corridors are being emptied right now. I estimate two hours for them to come back… I need you to elect a leader in case I… -He looked down, but cleared his throat and went on with a firm posture. -In case I'm taken down again. Lynx is dead. It's official, his injuries were too serious, the doctor didn't have enough resources to help him.

The men eyed each other with a stern face, then to Belle. She looked around, feeling confused, but before she could ask how she could be associated with the unknown man's death, Corey spoke again and their eyes moved to him.

-Lion should be my temporary substitute, I'm appointing him. Don't make that face! You're here longer and know the people and places better than me. Still, I believe it will be healthier if you choose one you all trust. -He sighed. There was another moment of silence, then he turned to Belle. -I want you to keep your mouth shut, if you manage to. You did more than enough. He's gonna be livid when he gets here. If my plan doesn't work, we'll accept his decision, ok? He's one push from killing you, Belle, I saw that look in his eyes before… He's not thinking, just ashamed and angry.

Belle just nodded, feeling her cheeks and the side of her eyes goopy due to the dry tears. Corey instructed the men, and they left the room one by one until only Corey, Lion and Jack were left in the room.

-As soon as the maids get in, you'll go and bring the priestess. She must not get here before Daniel. I believe forty or fifty minutes would be ideal. Don't say what you need her for, just ask around for… -Corey was instructing him when the door opened without warning, startling them. The tension only lasted a moment, then Bob got inside the room walking with the aid of crutches. -Bob? What are you doing here? Are you nuts?

-I heard he beat her. Is she ok? Are you ok? -He turned to Belle, leaning on one of the crutches and pointing at each one of the three men with the other. -You promised you'd take care of her. Said I could rest and recover. One day out, no, not even that, and you guys shit on the bed.

-I'd love to see you trying to keep her mouth shut. -Lion rolled his eyes. -She dug her own grave. Didn't need anyone's help. Go back to your bed. You won't be of any help, you would only slow us down…

Corey's face lit up.

-He would, indeed… Bob, can you go and tell Priestess Angela that we need a gown for the Queen-to-be? Tell her it's for the Plates and that it shouldn't be white. Make sure to agree with every flaw she finds in the dresses, ok? -He turned to Lion, who was nodding slightly, as if supporting his decision. -Lion, you'll escort him, just to be sure he won't roll down the stairs.

Lion made a face, but followed Bob. Belle could hear it when he started to explain everything that had happened.

The maids came and helped her undress and put a plain blue dress on. When Belle came out of her room, the first thing she saw was Daniel's enraged face as he listened to Corey's explanation about the situation.

-Still, I was clear: to the Plates! She could get there naked, as far as I'm concerned. -Daniel grumbled. -Don't make that face! Did you hear how she talked to me? I am the King! No one, not a living soul, not even the most powerful man in the world, no one will talk to me like that! I should have killed her, I should find another one…

Belle cautiously stepped in and stood close to Corey. The maids rushed out the door, looking down.

-Now we're gonna have even more rumors, isn't it lovely? -He turned to give her a venomous glare, but his eyes went up and down her face and body, then softened. -The only thing good in that cunt is her looks. I should rip off her tongue. I should slit her throat open!

-If you'll allow me, your majesty… If you do that, her lawyers will take control of all the companies. And the money. And her belongings too. -Corey sighed, quickly shooting her a warning look when she creased her eyebrows. -I think it was nothing but a momentary tantrum, I don't believe she meant any of it. She said many times on our way here that she regretted it, that she was afraid of what you'd do to her and to the sheeps. Your majesty could ask her how sorry she is…

Belle shook her head slightly before Daniel turned to face her.

-I don't give a shit for how sorry she is. -Daniel shrugged. -You could beg, if you want to, but I won't promise anything. As far as I'm concerned, you should get an exemplary punishment. And those two too. Who do you think you are to tell me I can't send two whores to have their lessons about what awaits those who don't follow the right path?

Corey cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head.

-About that, your majesty… Might we speak in private?

-Just say it. I don't even know if I'll ever bring her back from the Plates. I really don't need someone with that attitude near me now. -Daniel grunted. -Is it about those two sheeps?

-I believe that, yes, it has everything to do with them… But I might be wrong, it's just something that came to my mind when the Princess acted so far from usual. -Corey paused and lowered his voice, but Belle could still hear him. -I don't mean to intrude, I beg for your forgiveness if I'm overstepping, but… Last night your majesty told me about a vision, a worrisome dream about the Princess being out in the field, with sheeps… About two golden sheeps arriving from above and helping her clean up all the black and white sheeps turning them gold… Wasn't that the case, my Lord? It sounds like God was warning us about those two girls’ arrival… But I could be wrong, I just thought it would be too much of a coincidence.

-There are no such things as coincidence. -Daniel immediately grunted and looked away. -God leaves no detail to chance.

-Indeed, my Lord. Indeed… -Corey mused about it, nodding. -That's why I wonder… The Princess was on her best behavior, wasn't she? Why did it turn into a turmoil, all of sudden? And those two could be valuable allies, either for keeping the Princess under control, or to at least find her supposed husband…

-The Chinese whore said she doesn't know what the fucker looked like.

Japanese, you stupid moron! Belle chewed on her tongue to stop herself.

-She did, and I don't doubt she was telling the truth, but… It's unlikely that none of them knew where the Princess was living. -Corey turned to look at Belle but she just stared daggers at him. -We could get that information from them…

-And then what? What use would it be to find her house now? The bastard must be miles away, unless he's crazy.

-Finding her home, we'll find her neighbors. -Corey lifted his index finger, as if to get Daniel's attention, but Belle felt like he was telling her to keep quiet. -We'll find out his name, his looks, maybe we'll get images from security cameras, if we're lucky.

Daniel paused, then stared at Belle for a long time. She was unable to hide how nervous and distressed she was feeling about Ryan being exposed. She knew Daniel could see it plain on her face, which only made things worse. A pain irradiated from her stomach to her lower abdomen and she had to take a deep breath to avoid wincing.

-That's actually a good idea… Good thing I didn't kill them yet. Still, they'll stay in the Plates. -He lifted one eyebrow at Belle, then turned to Corey. -About my vision, I don't really believe those two would have anything at all to do with golden sheeps. They were caught at a party, and they were both drunk. No golden sheep would behave like that.

Corey just nodded and kept staring at Belle. When he showed signs that he would not insist, she decided to talk.

-Daniel…

-It's “your Majesty” for you, from now on. -He hissed, with eyes full of contempt. -And no, I won't listen to you. You think you did me a favor by doing everything I told you to? I'm your King, I'm your ruler… Your master even! You are out of your mind if you hadn't yet realized that you don't take decisions here.

-I'm not asking for much. I need them two to be out of that place and to know they won't be mistreated. -Belle crossed her arms and saw Corey moving to stand beside Daniel. It was a very discreet way of signaling that he wouldn't take her side this time. She took a deep breath and decided that if there was any chance of being able to stand her ground, it would have to be now. -Well, if you won't, then…

-Or else what, Belle? What are you gonna do? -Daniel mocked her, talking as if she was a baby. -If you're planning to ruin my sheeps, forget about it, you won't give classes anymore, you'll stay inside until I decide what to do with you. I own you. I have control over you.

-There's one thing you can't control in me. -She lifted her chin.

-Oh really? And what would it be?

-My life. -She looked away. -Remember when you told me that my freedom was worth more than my life? You said that my aunt was ruining not only my future, but my soul, and that it would be ok if I couldn't take it, that God would understand.

-Are you saying you're gonna kill yourself? Good luck trying, I'm not incompetent as your aunt. -He scoffed and turned to leave. -Besides, you're already destined to hell with that attitude of yours. I gave you the chance of your life and you're throwing it away.

He instructed Corey about what to do next. Apparently he had given up sending her to the Plates for the time being and wanted him to cancel all the meetings they'd have that week. That meant no recruits, no investors, no parties.

Belle was left alone in her bedroom for five days on a roll. The maids would come to bring food, clean the rooms and leave, without a single word. No knights were sent to inspect her room, which she couldn't use to her advantage in any way, since the maids wouldn't talk to her.

On the fifth day, Daniel stormed into her bedroom with an angry expression. Corey was following right behind him and his bodyguards could be spotted waiting right outside.

Belle was lying on her bed, the only thing she had been doing aside from drinking water, showering and brushing her teeth lately. At first she had thought he would come to negotiate on the second day, but, when it didn't happen, she had guessed he was trying to test her limits. Stubbornness and helplessness had driven her, and she had managed to stay away from the spoons and forks.

It had been surprisingly easy. The pain in her stomach had bothered her on the first two days, but she had managed to appease it with cold water. When her head ached badly or she felt dizzy, water again. And when water wasn't enough, she would tuck herself under her blanket and dream about Ryan. Of course most of the dreams portrayed them cooking or even having meals together, but it was worth it.

-Are you crazy? -Daniel huffed when she didn't even bother turning to face him. -Are you planning to starve to death?

-Are you gonna bring me my friends? -Her voice was deep, almost hoarse. She sat up, feeling her back and head hurt, then stretched her arm to get the bottle of water. Corey rushed beside her bed and got it for her, opening the tap before offering it. She glared at him, but he didn't seem to care for her bad mood and ungrateful behavior. -If not, just ignore me, like you did the whole week.

-You're gonna eat. -Daniel spit each word with an authoritarian tone. -I am not here to negotiate with you! I'm here to give you explicit orders, Isabelle. You're gonna eat, then you're gonna brush that hair and get dressed and behave, as a Princess should!

Belle finished the bottle of water, then tossed it on the floor, near the door. She knew the maids didn't like cleaning up her room, so it would be easier for them to pick it up if they didn't have to get in. Usually she would have dragged herself to the living room to put it inside the small trash can, but since the day before her energy had been running low.

-I'm not eating. You should keep in mind that this is all your fault. -She let out a groan as she turned her back to them and pulled the blanket up, lying on her stomach. -Either you bring me my friends, without hurting them, or you find another Queen.

The silence behind her made her feel tense, but she closed her eyes and prayed that he would give in. Suddenly, there was a motion behind her.

-Your majesty, don't! -She heard Corey's urgent warning. -He would never do something like that.

Belle sat up and turned to check what was happening. Daniel had his belt in his hand and was holding it above his head, ready to whip her with it.

-Your majesty told me to keep you informed… This is one boundary he would never cross. -Corey explained himself. -I'm just… Just doing what your majesty commanded me to.

-That's bullshit, he raped her. -Daniel grunted through gritted teeth. -He bound her and beat her bloody.

-No, he never did that. It was all scripted. -Corey's face was pale for a moment when the green eyes slowly turned to him. -It was Captain Williams’ plan. We handed her some reports about Baboon, Bulldog and the Twins. It was the testimony of that girl that got away from that strip house in New York… The one your majesty maintained in Manhattan…

-It wasn't mine. I'm against the mere existence of those kinds of sinners’ den. One of our investors, unfortunately, ran it. -Daniel shook his head. -Her escape was God's punishment. And those four animals’ death was the price they paid for their sins.

Belle didn't know exactly how to feel. She was torn between processing the information that the men who did the things she had read were all dead and the fact that Corey was practically snitching on her. The only thing keeping Daniel in doubt about her feelings toward Ryan was the idea that the cop had abused her and that she could be suffering some kind of Stockholm syndrome. Without that idea, the chances of Daniel ever trusting her again were close to zero.

-Why didn't you tell me this before? If that's the truth, why did you hide it from me?

-Your majesty never asked me about it. I didn't know it was unknown to you, my Lord, I thought your source at the precinct had told you that she was still a virgin when Desmond was killed and…

-Liar! She told me he abused her! -Daniel reached to grab Corey’s shirt, but the bulletproof vest was too thick for that. The redhead cop was a few inches taller than him, so the scene was a bit ridiculous, but it didn't lessen the tension of the moment. -She told me he forced her!

-I wouldn't be surprised if he did, my Lord, but I'm afraid it would be more about tricking her than using physical strength. He’d never hurt her. There is not a single evidence of him beating her, especially with a belt or other objects. -Corey shrugged. -She's been in the hospital twice, I've read the reports. I was investigating him, after all… One of the claims was of abuse. She was still a virgin on both occasions. Whatever happened to her, if we are to believe Heaven’s competence in verifying it, it has to have been the husband.

Daniel paused, then turned to the two bodyguards standing outside the door.

-Out! You two. And close the goddamn door! -He was drooling with rage. As soon as the door closed, he yanked the blanket from over Belle's body and threw it at the floor. She tried to kick him when he pulled her by her ankles to the bottom of the bed and tried to hold her legs open.

-Your majesty? -Corey paced behind him, taking his hand to his gun but then moving it away immediately. -Your majesty, I… What are… What's going on, my Lord?

-We're gonna check it. If Heaven lied, we'll know. Stop moving! -He grunted as he tried to take her hands away from his neck and eyes while she fought to keep him away. -Stop! I'm telling you to stop!

-Your majesty, your vow! -Corey stepped close and his hand moved toward his gun again, but he closed it into a fist before it reached the grip. -Your majesty, rumors are already spreading.

-I'm not gonna have sex with her, I just want to see! Either you are lying to me or she is, or Heaven! Or all of you! -Belle kicked his chest and he fell back, but got up and grabbed one of her calves. -It's not gonna hurt if you cooperate!

Belle was feeling dizzy and hot, with her heartbeat loud in her ears. Her mouth was dry but her eyes were wet, making everything blurry. She couldn't speak, just grunt and groan, like an animal. It was different from any panic attack she had had before and when she felt the wetness and heat form under her, she was confused for a moment.

It was only when Corey looked over his shoulder at her and gasped, followed by Daniel's startled yelp and stumbling against the wall, that she realized what had just happened. She supported her weight on her elbows to look down and see the sheets and her white gown painted in maroon.

-My God… I've sinned. -Daniel whispered, bringing his hand up to cover his mouth, then realizing it was stained with her blood.

-We need to call the maids, get her cleaned and taken to the doctor. -Corey muttered. -I'll call the knights.

-No! She can't go near the prototypes, she'll ruin them. -He was looking around the room for something he could use to clean his hand. Corey offered him a handkerchief and he took it urgently, wiping first his face, then his hand and throwing it at the floor. -No one should come here. God is punishing us. He's punishing me.

-With all respect, sir, she's just on her period… -He gave her an apologetic look, then crouched to get her the blanket. She just shook her head, pressing the gown against her legs, embarrassed with the situation but still feeling the effects of the adrenaline. -The stress must have caused her blood pressure to…

-No, she doesn't have it. Our friend, Chloe, told me Belle was pure. God had spared her of the punishment. I've doomed her. She was pure. -Daniel was crying. -God, what am I going to do now? What should I do?

They kept silent for a couple of minutes, then Belle got up with difficulty, heading for the bathroom. Corey stepped close to help her when she stumbled due to the dizziness, but she flinched away.

-Don't touch her! If you touch her, you'll be unclean too, you idiot! Leviticus 15:19. How ignorant are you? -Daniel pursed his lips with disgust. -Leave her be!

Belle just walked away and closed the door behind her. She couldn't believe the timing of the events. Mia and Hanna needed her. She had made all the wrong decisions and now she knew she would be taken somewhere and held there for seven days, without any hopes of helping them. She cleaned herself in the shower as best as she could, then grabbed a clean hand towel, folded it and positioned it in her still wet panties. To her surprise, when she got out of the bathroom, Corey was still standing in front of Daniel, who was sitting on the floor, near the door, crying.

-I need you to eat, or else you'll die. -He sniffed. -I can't afford to bring you my doctor, if he becomes impure, I don't have a spare one. You have to eat. If you die here, like this, you're gonna cause a lot of trouble.

-Bring me my friends. -She huffed, then pulled the sheets from the bed and tossed them on the floor, near him. He crawled away from them as if they were made of acid. -If you don't bring them, I'll bleed to death. I need them to help me purify again.

-This is not an option. You'll eat first, you'll stop this first, then we'll talk. -He shook his head. -You were supposed to be an Angel! You are ruining everything!

-I am ruining everything? Look what you did! -She pointed at the sheets. If he was gonna play this crazy game, she was gonna play with his mind too. -Bring me my friends, or the next one to bleed is gonna be you!

-Are you threatening me? -He frowned, getting up. Corey watched the exchange with a permanent look of confusion. Belle could tell he didn't know anymore if any of them believed what they were saying or not. -Are you cursing me?

-I couldn't have made up the vision. You said it yourself, that there is no coincidence. -She tried to keep any emotion from her face, remembering Ryan's words, that it usually worked better than showing anger, but there was no way of knowing if she was being successful with it. -You go and check if they're alright. If they are hurt, this will be just the beginning.

Daniel stared at her. She was surprised to see genuine fear in his eyes.

-You'll be next… And then the babies. This is not a threat, Daniel… I'm trying to help you. Bring them before He takes me. -She looked deep into his eyes. -Bring them, now, and you'll have me back. Don't, and you'll lose me, forever.

Her intention was to sound like one of those pastors who gave speeches about the Apocalypse, but her voice was still too thin to sound apotheotic. Still, it seemed to have some effect. Daniel jumped to his feet and fidgeted with the doorknob, then paused and leaned toward Corey.

-Keep an eye on her. Don't let her touch you. If she does, don't touch anyone or anything. -He whispered. -Don't let her out of this room. Shock her if you have to.

-Yes, sir. -Corey didn't sound as confused as he should. He waited a few minutes after the door was closed, then put his ear to the wood and listened. When he turned to Belle he made a face that made her want to laugh. -What in the world was that?

-He fears menstruation. -She shrugged. -Don't ask me, ask him, it doesn't make any sense to me either. The Bible indulges it, Leviticus is full of this kind of crap and he buys it. I thought it was just when it was convenient to him, but apparently it's not, he buys all the bullshit.

-Ok, but… What's your plan? -He sighed, pulling up a chair to sit. -God, what if he comes back with a gun and kills you?

-I think he will come back with Mia and Hanna, and that we'll be left alone for seven days in a row. -She shrugged. -Would you by any chance have the means of getting me pills? Birth control pills?

-Do I really need to answer that? Of course not. -He frowned when she nodded. -Do you really believe these kinds of things could make their way inside this hell?

-I had hopes… I mean, they are giving the girls something to prevent pregnancy, I just don't know what yet. And when it fails, they give them something to make them miscarriage. -She was murmuring more to herself than to him, but he tilted his head. -The girls told me all about it, they don't get pregnant easily, although they could, and a lot of them don't have periods for months. I believe someone is taking care of it.

-I don't know about it, but I'll look into it. It would be awesome to have more allies in the nursery. It's not one of ours, though, I can guarantee that. -He sighed. - What are you gonna do if he doesn't bring them?

-He will. But if he doesn't, I won't eat. Why did you tell him about Ryan? -She laid down, mostly because her head was aching too much and she didn't have another bottle of water ready. Corey saw her checking her bedside table and got up to get her a new bottle in the minibar. -Thank you. But answer my question.

-He asked me to help him make you fall in love with him. He thinks it would be easier to control you, if you did. -He quickly explained when she put the bottle down and frowned. -I told him I didn't know how to do it, so he asked me to teach him to behave like Desmond, at least to do things that would make you believe he could be more like him… Does that make sense?

-Not really… How does he know I love Desmond? -She bit her lower lip, then took another sip of water. -And why would he think he would control me if I loved him?

-You say it all the time, when you sleep. The maids hear it, they call a knight and they come and check it, then they tell Daniel, or me, or one of his bodyguards… It happens often. As to why he thinks love works that way, I guess it's just that he hasn't seen how stubborn you were, even when Desmond was trying to convince you not to be that way. -He sat on the chair again and crossed his arms over his chest. -I'm really worried about you, is it true you haven't eaten for this long? When he forbade the knights from coming here I was blinded, and I can't really trust what the maids say, they make a lot of things up… You were eating when they weren't looking, right?

-No. -She shook her head but stopped when her head spun. -I'm ok, though, it's not hurting much.

-That's bad! You shouldn't do it. You could die… This isn't a game, Belle. -He sighed. -And the bleeding… Bob told me you had asked for pills, but I thought you were afraid of getting pregnant from Daniel… That wasn't the case, right? -He made a face when she nodded and looked down. -Is it too bad? Could you get hurt?

-If I bleed too much... -She shrugged. -I need to send Ryan the message with the dates, names and times, as soon as possible, just in case something happens to me and I'm not able to.

-I've already said I can do it, hand me the message. -Corey hissed. -Stop being so stubborn!

-I don't trust you to do it! I want to do it myself. -She hissed back.

The door burst open, startling them both. Daniel came in, with a maid beside him. He pushed her by her shoulder toward Belle, almost causing her to drop the tray she was holding.

-Don't touch her! Be careful. When you come to get it back, you should wear reinforced gloves and put it all inside a plastic bag. Throw everything away, I don't care. -He muttered, then turned to Belle. -Eat.

-Mia and Hanna first. Then we'll talk about my conditions… Then I'll do as you want. -She took the tray and put it aside. Her stomach growled and turned, divided between the urge to eat and a sudden disgust about the smell, although it didn't really have anything really bad about it. -I won't give in, Daniel.

-I already told you to call me “your majesty”... Out! What do you think you're doing? Out! -He yelled at the maid who was standing in front of the bed, as if waiting to take the tray back. She rushed to the door and Daniel followed her with his gaze as she disappeared down the corridor. -I won't take orders from you.

-Don't take it as an order, then. Take it as an offer. I'll do what you want, if you do what I want. We'll both get something, and everyone will be happy. You'll get a lot more than me: I know you want my money and, without me, you won't have it. -She raised one eyebrow, then suppressed a burp. The smell of the food was making her feel sick. -I'm gonna throw up if you don't take this away.

Corey got up to take it, but Daniel stopped him.

-She touched it, don't get near. -He pointed toward the living room. -Bring the two whores. She'll eat it.

Belle felt her heart racing. It worked! She couldn't believe it. Although she had hoped it would, she had thought Daniel would make things way more difficult before he decided to comply. I'm sorry for this week, girls… I'm so, so sorry. I hope they haven't hurt you.

Mia was the first to come in, on her own. As soon as she saw Belle, her stern face lit up and she let out what could have been a small sound of surprise, but was cut when the guard holding her by her arm shook her. Apparently she had tried to run in Belle's direction.

Behind her, Hanna was being dragged in, with her head down and her arms loose. She didn't bother acknowledging Belle's presence, but flinched every time Daniel opened his mouth to speak.

-Here are your whores. -He huffed. - Now you eat.

-Now we talk. -She nodded. -I want to see them, did anyone hurt you, Mia? Hanna?

Mia looked around, but didn't answer. Hanna didn't move. Belle motioned Mia to sit on the bed, away from the blood. Her friend's eyes had darted toward the stain a few times since she had gotten in.

-Eat first! -Daniel roared, pulling Mia back by her hair. The girl let out a groan and stumbled back. -Eat one bite for each, and I'll let them get near you.

Belle thought about it, then lifted the silver cloche. She couldn't believe it when she saw a whole fish, with head and tail, on the plate. The urge to throw up hit her like a giant wave and she turned to glare at Daniel.

-The doctor said it would be good for you. It's mackerel, you like it, it's your favorite sushi. -He looked like he was embarrassed and trying to explain himself. -Eat.

She sighed and took the fork, then closed her eyes before putting it inside her mouth. The thing seemed to double in size when it touched her tongue and simply refused to go down her throat, no matter how much she tried. After the third try she gave up and took her bottle of water, chugging it down. Without waiting for it to sit inside her stomach, she took another bite and chugged it down too.

As soon as the guard let go of her, Mia ran for Hanna, taking her by her armpits and dragging her toward the bed. She placed the girl behind her, as if shielding her with her own body, before giving Belle a quick hug and taking her face in her hands.

-I'm so glad you're alive, I thought Aaron had… I was so worried about you, I… -Belle put her index finger to her lip to make her stop talking, afraid that Mia could say something that could expose Ryan.

-It's alright, no one will hurt you now… I'm sorry that you two were brought here too… -She whispered. Belle wiped the tears, then cleared her throat. -Ok, your majesty, now we'll negotiate. I recommend that you sit down. My list is not long, but I'm afraid the discussion over it will be.

Daniel narrowed his eyes. He was trying to scare her, and he was having it, but she would never let him know. This was her chance to bend him, probably the first and only she would have. Between the two of them, one would break during this talk, and she had to give her best to make sure it would be him.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  10. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG - thank you my dear author @GiBro, the cliff hanger at the end of the chapter is killing me:confused:
    Although judging how Book 3 started, we can venture snd guess that Daniel did not break:cry:
    Looking forward to seeing Ryan in the next chapter:)

arinzone, imeren and GiBro like this.
  11. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 17 (Don't mind the title, I'll probably change it later)

Lucas bent down and leaned on his knees to catch his breath. There was no doubt: it was Desmond. Keeping up with the guy was like having a gun pointed to his eyeball at all times.

Lucas still couldn't understand how he hadn't been spotted yet, and wasn't completely sure that his friend wasn't just playing with him, giving him enough rope just so he would hang himself on his own. But if he could be certain of anything it was that he had finally found him. Now all he had to do was to convince him to come to the precinct and take back his resignation. It would be easy peasy.

In his mind there was a movie playing, showing all the possible outcomes of their conversation. Desmond could simply ignore him and walk away, or grab him by his collar, push him against a wall and hang him there until he promised he would never ever follow him again. In the worst case scenario, he could knock him out and leave him there, in the middle of the street, until another cop came to his rescue.

No, Desmond was more reasonable than that… Still, the answer could be no. Odds were it would be. Which didn't mean Lucas would give up, not this time. Belle wouldn't want Desmond to end up like this, dying alone, pursuing a cold case forever.

Lucas took a deep breath when Desmond stopped walking, adjusted his cap and stepped inside a cafe.

-Alright, you can do it. You can do it. Be firm, talk fast. He won't be mad. -Lucas muttered to himself. -Don't talk about her death, not now. I wonder if he knows… He probably knows. That's why you need to do it, right? ‘Cause, if not, he's gonna kamikaze, so you need to go and bring him back, keep him going. Let's go, man. Now. Go. You can do it!

Lucas huffed and leaned on the wall, then backed away when his hand got wet by the dirty snow. He was scared to death, not only about Desmond's reaction, but about whatever he would have to deal with inside that cafe. He hated the mere idea of working undercover, and knew that he would never be assigned to do that. He didn't know how to lie. He didn't know how to pretend. And most importantly, he didn't know how to look tough. His expertise was machines, not people.

-Screw that, Desmond, I'm gonna get in and you're gonna come with me, either by hook or by crook! -He grumbled a bit louder. -Even if I have to knock you down, you're coming with me, or my name isn't…

Before he took a step to leave his hideout, though, a black sac was pushed down over his head and all he could see was darkness. He tried to scream, but a strong arm wrapped around his neck and pressed it tightly.

-Help! Help! -He tried to scream but it sounded like a gurgle from a newborn. He felt another pair of hands grab his wrists and handcuff them behind his back, then a kick on his back pushed him to what he concluded could only be the backseat of a car. He tried to kick and squirm out, but was pushed back inside and heard two doors closing, one on each side. -Please! Please don't kill me, I have a child!

-Now that's a lie, Mr. Banner… -A young female voice reproached him. Whoever she was, she was right in front of him. The car began to move and Lucas felt the sweat tickling the back of his neck. -The closest thing to a child you have is a cat.

-Well, I love my cat. -He muttered to himself, embarrassed for being caught in a lie. -But I swear, you got the wrong guy! I don't have any money, I don't know anything, I'm not important. Please, let me go. I won't tell anyone about this, I swear! Please, don't hurt me.

He felt something touch his lips through the fabric and flinched back. It was a finger, probably her index finger. It smelled like flowers and something citric.

-Shhh, Mr. Banner… It's not time to beg. Not yet. Wait until my cousin gets his hands on you, you'll want to talk. -She giggled. -Or you can be a good boy now and we can have a pleasant conversation. You'll tell me everything I want to know and I won't need to hand you to him… What do you say?

-I'll tell you everything, you just need to ask, I swear, I won't lie. -He replied urgently. -You can stop the car, we can talk, please, just…

-Careful, Mr. Banner. Don't get too anxious. -Her voice was pleasant to his ears. He wished he could see her face. Not knowing who was holding him hostage was making him even more afraid. -We'll have time to talk…

-I want to talk now, please, tell me what you want… -It was becoming harder to breathe. -Could you, please, take this from my face? I won't look at you, I promise.

-You make too many promises, Mr. Banner… I hope you don't lie as much. -She sneered. -Take it off.

-Miss… -A man beside him started to argue, but shut up and pulled the sac at once, yanking a few strands of his hair in the process.

Lucas’ eyes opened wide when he saw her face, and for a moment he was out of words and out of breath. A few seconds later he realized he had been staring at her face and quickly looked down, keeping his eyes on his own shoes.

-A bad liar… -Her voice was more amused than annoyed. -Did you memorize my face?

-I'm sorry I… I just… -But he didn't know how to explain. What would he say, anyway? You're, by far, the most beautiful and terrifying woman I've ever seen in my whole life? Or, even worse: If I had met you under other circumstances I'd probably be stalking you on Instagram right now? -I'm just scared, I didn't mean to stare. I'm sorry.

-It's alright. -She shrugged. -Tell me one thing, Mr. Banner… What were you doing when I caught you?

-I'm sorry? -He was confused by her question and had to make an effort not to lift his eyes to check her expression.

-You were hiding from someone, weren't you? Who were you hiding from? -She insisted. -I want a name and surname.

-I… I can't tell you this, but I can guarantee I wasn't doing anything illegal. -He stumbled on his words, realizing that, since he had just been kidnapped by her, it meant this person wasn't exactly concerned about the law. -I didn't, I wasn't… I wasn't going to hurt anyone.

-Why were you following him? -Now there was a lot of irritation in her tone. -What were your intentions?

-Who? -He realized that maybe he wasn't the only one trying to find Desmond.

Maybe that woman was one of Daniel's followers, who somehow knew about his mission and she was now trying to persuade him into giving away information.

-I beg your pardon? What do you mean by who? Do you think I don't know what you've been doing the whole day? -She raised her voice. -Mr. Banner, you'd better talk, right now: why have you been following Ryan around since Tuesday morning?

Lucas went mute. She knew he had been following Desmond and, even worse, already knew his identity, even with the beard and the unusual clothing.

His fear wasn't just for himself now. If he were the one responsible for Desmond's demise, this would be the worst failure ever. He had spent months trying to come up with a better outcome for Roy and making sure that there had been nothing he could have done to avoid it. In his mind it was simply unacceptable that their friend had been killed by a teenager in cold blood inside a house with at least five other skilled cops.

It had taken almost a month to track Desmond down, even after studying all the algorithms and visiting all the places Ryan could have been to. He had gone to the extent of making a 3D model and simulating hundreds of changes he could have done in his appearance, like wigs, beard, mustache, glasses etc, then training the AI exhaustively, just to make sure the software would cover all the possibilities when it scanned the subway stations’ cameras. When the computer pointed to a match, he thought it had to be wrong, because, just by looking at the images, he would never say that the guy in the picture was Desmond. If all this work had almost not been enough to find him, he could only assume this woman had used him to do all the work for her. He had led her straight to Desmond.

-Who are you? What do you want with him? -He looked into her eyes. -Why do you want to know about this?

-I'd have to ask you the same, Mr. Banner. Why were you following him? -She creased her eyebrows. -What were your intentions?

-Who are you? -He frowned.

-That's none of your concern. -She frowned back. -Answer my question!

-I can't. -He shook his head. -Go on and hurt me, but I won't talk. I won't sell my friend out! If you're with Daniel you can go and tell him to eat shit and die.

The woman sat back and tilted her head, as if he had caught her by surprise. Only then Lucas realized how young she was. She had to be the same age as him, at most, yet, she emanated authority and fearlessness. He guessed this would be the sensation of sitting in front of a queen.

-Does that mean you really weren't planning to harm him? -She looked confused. -Why were you following him, then?

-Please, Miss, who are you? -He sighed. -Tell me why I should trust you, and I'll talk.

The woman smiled slightly, then nodded.

-You're the bravest little chicken I've ever met. -She giggled when he blushed and looked down. -Ok, then… I'll tell you who I am, but it will be our little secret… You won't tell anyone, not even Ryan. Do we have a deal?

Another false alarm. Ryan got out of the cafe feeling extremely frustrated.

He looked around and was surprised when he couldn't spot Lucas immediately.

At first it had been just annoying. Ryan would walk around a corner, just to test if he could lose him, then laugh out loud when it worked. As days went by, it got a lot more inconvenient. It seemed like Lucas was expecting him to turn around and confront him, since he wasn't exactly doing a great job of disguising himself.

It worried him that the beard and the extra pounds hadn't been enough to take him out of the cop's radar. It seemed to at least be enough to trick Daniel's followers, or else he would've been dead already. Still, he needed to know what exactly had given away his identity. This was the only reason why he had decided to let Lucas get near, that morning, but the coward cop hadn't approached him, not even once, just kept hiding and backing away, like a chicken.

Since Belle couldn't wait for the bastard to gather up courage, and Ryan's patience ran out fast, he went on with his plan and followed the tip to this cafe, where he found nothing but lunatics, who certainly never had been to the palace. Yes, they knew who Belle was, and, for some crazy reason, seemed to believe that she was dead.

-Where did you get that from? -He frowned, unable to hide his annoyance.

-It's in the blog! Don't you follow the page? -The short blond guy replied with the exact same tone. -Here, have a card.

And just like that, the boy handed him a printed card with a QR code in it. Ryan knew the kind of website it would take him to, but took the card anyway.

That meant all his work had been worth nothing. Walking in the dirty thin layer of snow in the streets of Manhattan, inhaling rot and pee essences in those narrow alleys for almost an hour, drinking cheap beer, and having to dodge the flirting of even cheaper women… And now Lucas was gone. He was pissed.

Ryan checked the time on his watch and cursed. He had wasted too much time waiting for Lucas to get near and make a move. Agatha would be pissed. He had promised they would have dinner together.

Well, too bad, therapy will have to wait for another week. He texted Dr. Cecilia, apologizing for not showing up again. It was the second time, but he could bet she would take him back, even if he bailed a dozen times. The woman took pleasure in his disgrace, that was the only reasonable explanation.

When he got inside the apartment, the door was locked exactly as he had left it that morning. Was it possible that she would get there late?

-Hey, baby girl… I hope you haven't forgotten me this time, or else I'll give you hell, exactly like you always do to me. -He smirked as he left a voicemail. He had just put the phone back into his pocket, but decided to try to call her just one more time. -The food is almost ready, it will get cold if you don't rush. You have 10 minutes… I'm joking, I don't have anything yet, but… Call me back, just so I'm sure you're fine, ok?

The apartment was perfectly clean, even though he knew the maid hadn't been there that day, since he hadn't had to remotely unlock the service gate.

Ryan opened the fridge and sighed. Everything reminded him of Belle, but cooking was certainly a trigger. He bent over to check the vegetables available and felt her hand travel through his torso while she hugged him from behind. He gulped down the lump and backed away from the fridge, closing the door behind him.

Agatha could end up not even coming. It would be stupid to go through the torture of reliving memories of what he had lost if his sister wouldn't even be there to eat with him.

He texted the concierge and told him to get something he could pretend had been prepared by him. If possible, something he could just toss inside the oven and leave it there until it was ready.

Since there was nothing better to do, he took a shower and laid on the bed. He thought about calling Agatha again, but she could just be with Peter, the doctor, and the last thing he wanted was to think about what the two of them could be doing to need so much privacy, to the point of her turning off her phone.

Ryan moved his pillow and felt something smooth under it. His heart raced for a moment, then he felt a mix of longing and shame. He stroked the fabric, enjoying the velvet-like texture, then brought it to his cheek and kept it there for a few seconds before sniffing it. The dress still smelled like her, not only the perfume, but a bit of the shampoo and moisturizer. He knew it was awkward and creepy to some extent, but the dress had helped him sleep, especially during the first week.

According to Cecilia, it wasn't something to be ashamed of, and she assured him that there were many studies about how scent could affect sleep, including partners’ clothes in their absence. What had bothered him, though, was when she tried to lead him into a conversation about mourning and how damaging it could be to rely on those mechanisms on a daily basis, in case Belle couldn't be found. Ryan wouldn't have it, Belle was alive and he would find her, no matter what.

He immediately cut her off, especially when she had tried to find out if he wasn't going extra, like spraying her perfume on objects to keep her scent alive. He had done it, actually, on his own pillow, but only once. It wasn't the same, to smell it directly from the flask, or spray it around. It didn't smell the same as it did on her skin or the clothes she had worn.

Since that session, he hadn't shown up. If Cecilia would start to convince him to move on, to give up on Belle, he was done with her and with therapy whatsoever.

-Hey… What are you doing now? Are you alright? -He sighed and the empty room answered with its silence.

It had been a while since the last time it had worked… To pretend he was talking to her and that she would answer back. Ever since Agatha had practically moved in, after the first week, actually, he hadn't been able to roleplay and mess up with his own mind. Cecilia also had an explanation to this behavior, one that he also hated: it was comforting to talk with deceased or missing loved ones, because it kept them close and put the mind in a negation state that fed hope. Screw you, Doctor… You're ruining my already miserable life.

Ryan sat up and called Agatha again. This time the phone rang but she didn't answer, so he called again and she immediately refused it.

Why was he craving Agatha's presence anyway? He was wasting precious time, lying on his bed, waiting to have dinner with her. How much more messed up could this be? Was he simply putting Belle on hold to try to make up for the years he had spent neglecting his sister?

The security system went off right when he was about to leave the apartment.

-Right on time. -He chuckled when he remembered he had ordered something a while ago.

He quickly put it over the counter, ripped the wrapping, tucked it inside the oven and set it up to preheat to 400 degrees and then turn off in twenty-five minutes, as shown in the instructions he had glanced at before shoving the wrapping inside the trash can.

He was just about to shut the door when he had an epiphany. Better than just heading to Vincenzo's HQ, he could give Lucas a taste of his own medicine, and take the opportunity to know how the FBI was dealing with the case without him.

He took a pen and a piece of paper from a drawer nearby and wrote a quick note.

“I love you. I have to pay a visit to a nosy friend. Don't wait for me, I might take a hell of a while.

Hope the food tastes better than whatever you spent the whole night chewing on.

I really love you, don't you dare use this against me, you prick.”

He paused and added a last line.

“Take those fucking shoes off and put them on the rack, or else they'll fly out the window when I get back.”

He smirked before placing the note on the board, then rushed to the elevator after locking up the door.

Lucas threw his backpack on the floor right away as he stepped through his door. This day had been a mess. His whole body hurt, but his head was about to burst, as much as his bladder. He didn't bother turning on the lights, just slammed the door to lock it, then rushed to the restroom as if his life depended on getting to the toilet as quickly as possible.

-Archie! Come here, boy. -He whistled to call the cat. It was not that weird that Archie hadn't come to greet him when he had arrived, but it bothered him a bit. -Come here, you lazy bastard!

He whistled again, but the cat wouldn't come.

-Ok, boy, you just lost the opportunity of hearing about the beautiful stepmother you will never have but you would've loved to. -He heard Archie meowing behind him and chuckled, which caused a few drips to miss the bowl. -Shit, look what you've made me do!

-Do you always talk to him nonstop like that? Damn, you sound like a retarded. -Lucas let out a yelp and jumped toward the toilet, since there wasn't any space to run inside the small bathroom. -Jeez, put that away!

Desmond laughed out loud, covering Archie's eyes with one hand and turning his face to look away, pretending to be offended by Lucas’ overexposure.

-Holly motherflippin! -Lucas yelled. -What the hell, dude? I almost… What the heck, man? I almost had a heart attack!

Lucas leaned on the sink and held his chest.

-Shit, if I hadn't finished, I'd be all wet now… -He grimaced, struggling to get his briefs and pants up. -Don't laugh, you asshole, you scared the shit out of me.

-Thank God I didn't, it would've been a nightmare of a sight. -Ryan laughed again. -You were chasing me… I decided to make things easier for you.

Lucas blushed and looked down, then turned his back to wash his hands.

-So? What do you have to say? -Ryan put the cat down and it immediately started to rub its body against his legs, meowing sporadically. -I won't answer any question for free, though. I've brought my own questions.

-It's not a question, actually… It's a request. -Lucas sighed, then turned to face his friend.

Desmond looked awful. His hair always had the same cut, ever since he got to the precinct, not too short to look military, but enough to give him an official but charming look. Now it was halfway Keanu Reeves’ long. The beard had already surpassed John Wick’s style. He was aiming for beggar's fashion, it was the only explanation here.

-Don’t even start. -Desmond glared at him. -I still look better than you.

His eyes had deep dark circles under them. His neck looked thicker, although Lucas couldn't tell if he had bulked up or not, due to the weird baggy clothes.

-I think now we can compete, actually. I would have a chance. -Lucas shrugged. -I'm starving. Have you eaten yet?

-Nope, I've ordered Chinese. -Desmond shook his head and turned around, having to dodge the cat to head for the living room. -Tell me what you want.

-Oh, you know I like Japanese better… -He whined, just to buy time. -What are you gonna have? I think I have beer and really bad Sake.

-Water will do. I'm not drinking anymore. -He explained when Lucas paused and frowned. -We're not talking about it. Spit it out, motherfucker!

-Calm down! I miss you, I want to spend some time with you, dude…

-I don't have time to spend, I need to find Belle! -Desmond lowered his voice. -Tell me what it is that you want. Let's get done with it already, so you can stop following me like Mr. Bean’s version of James Bond!

Lucas blushed, but didn't argue. He knew from the start that it would be impossible to hide from the agent's eagle eyes, but the fact that he had been caught by those guys and hadn't even seen it coming was proof that he was not meant for the field.

-Well, at least I've found you, didn't I? -He took his glasses off and cleaned the lenses with his shirt.

-You did, indeed. I'm curious to know how. Tell me, since you are suddenly too shy to tell me what you want. -Desmond grunted. Lucas explained all the process in detail. It took long enough for the food to arrive and they were halfway through when Desmond interrupted him. -Right, I got it, good job. Delete that shit. If I find out you didn't, I'll come here and blow your computer up. I won't even bother taking your cat with me, you'll either have to scrape “pancake Archie” from the sidewalk, or have a cat barbecue when you come in, after they put out the fire. Was I clear enough? Fill me up about the investigation, since I'm here.

-You're kidding, right? I can't delete it, it's my Final Project, if I destroy it I won't graduate! -Lucas frowned when Desmond simply shook his head as if saying “Well, too bad…”. -You're freaking kidding!

-Do you have any idea about how dangerous that shit would be in Daniel's hands? -Desmond took the last bite on his food and put the box and chopsticks away. -People could die because of that!

-Do you have any idea about how useful that wonderful tool would be in the FBI's hands? -Lucas used the same condescending tone, feeling outraged. -How many lives could we save? How many missing persons, Belle included, could we find, using that?

-Why don't you fucking use it to find her, then, you stupid asshole? -Desmond's voice raised but dropped immediately. -Because wherever Daniel took her, you won't get images from there to feed your fucking robot, that’s why, you piece of shit!

-No, but the George Bush Intercontinental Airport, in Texas, had security cameras, even on the landing field. -Lucas raised one eyebrow and Desmond gagged. -Yes, you jerk, she was there and we got the images thanks to my FaceFinder.

-So? Did you advance in finding the location, then? Is it in Texas? -Desmond was on his feet, leaning over the table, demanding answers. -Did you get something about the palace?

-No. Unfortunately, they couldn't track down the car they got in… -Lucas shared his disappointment. -We're still working on the footage from the highways… But they aren't stupid, they probably avoided them.

-So… Nothing new, then? -Desmond sat down and crossed his arms over his chest, looking away. -I'll need that footage of the car they got in, I have people that could use it. We need to hurry, something might happen to her if we take too long.

Lucas hesitated, then decided it was better to talk.

-There's something new. I need to let you know, but first I need your word, that you'll agree to do something for me, if I tell you.

-No. I wouldn't grant this kind of power over me even for Belle, what makes you think you'd have it? -Desmond frowned. -Tell me what you want first.

-I want you to come with me to the precinct, to meet Riviera. -Lucas held his breath. -I need you to come with me.

-I'll think about it. Tell me what you've got. -Desmond answered nonchalantly.

Lucas sighed. At least it hadn't been a straightforward “no”.

-It's about Belle… She's… -But, no matter how much he tried, he couldn't bring himself into saying those words. -There was an official announcement.

-That she died. -Desmond scoffed. -She's not dead. She's alive and well. It wouldn't surprise me if she was having cappuccinos with Daniel every morning. Stop wasting time with red herrings, we need to find her!

-What? How did you know? We took it down almost immediately. And how can you be so certain it was fake?

-Look, we don't have time to waste with… -Desmond took his phone from his pocket when it went off, then frowned. He just stared at it for a moment then put it back inside his pocket, but it immediately went off again. -Why is it that you want me to go to the precinct, anyway, I…

He paused again and his eyes opened wide when he read something on the screen. Without saying a word he got up and put the phone to his ear, backing away from the table and lowering his voice until it was almost inaudible.

-Hold on! What do you mean by “took you”? Take you where? What? You've met her? How? When? Where? -At this point, he seemed to forget completely about Lucas’ existence and raised his voice, then looked around as if trying to find something. Without any warning, he collapsed on the carpet, on his knees, and ruffled his hair vigorously. -Vincenzo, don’t you fucking play with me, are you sure it was her? No, you’re kidding me, I’m coming right now to meet you. What do you mean?

The silence between one phrase and the other was so brief it almost seemed like Desmond was pretending to have someone on the other side of the line.

-Ok. No, I’m not there and she’s not with me. -Desmond paused and stared at Lucas with an apologetic look. -Not exactly… I’m in a colleague’s apartment. Send him here, then, I need to know all the details, though, record a message, if you can, I don’t care if it's one hour long. I’ll wait here, let me give you the address.

Lucas frowned and waited for him to finish setting up a meeting in his own apartment. As soon as Desmond put the phone down, he bursted.

-What the heck was that about?

Desmond lifted his eyes to stare at him and Lucas saw fire and water waging a battle inside them. Even then, the man didn’t cry.

-What happened? Is it about Belle? -Lucas insisted. -Say something, for God sake!

-She’s well. My… Someone that works for me met her. At the Palace. -Desmond sniffed and rubbed his eyes with his thumb and index finger before getting up and heading for the bathroom. -I have a person coming to explain it better, my source can’t meet me directly, he thinks he’s being watched. I’m stuck here, too, by the way. He wants me to lay low for a while, ‘cause he believes they saw him getting out of the building I’m living in, two weeks ago when he went there for a meeting with a client. He owns the whole building. I’m getting out as soon as he’s sure it’s safe.

Lucas followed him to the bathroom door with a baffled look and a half-open mouth.

-I know it sucks, but it also means I’ll have to monopolize your computer for the next few days and that you’ll have an awesome roommate till then… -Desmond shrugged as he paused before shutting up the door. -Ah, and that also means you’ll have extra security vigilance… I mean like ten to twenty well armed men sitting somewhere near. It’s good for you, considering I took less than two minutes between convincing your janitor that I had forgotten my keys to the gate, even with these looks, and breaking into your apartment. You should change that lock.

Lucas stood there, staring at the shut door. This has to be the most confusing and awkward day of my life…

-Desmond? -He murmured through the wood, getting a grunt in response. -Hm… Since you’re staying here… Would you, please, consider coming back? I mean, Riviera is doing her best to hold your position, but I need to report that I’ve found you. She didn’t present your resignation letter yet.

There was a long silence, then the sound of water. After a while, Desmond cleared his throat.

-I’ll think about it. -His voice was low, almost a whisper.

Archie meowed loudly and there was a firm knock on the door. His fur stood up and he hissed twice before turning and running to hide somewhere, probably under Lucas’ bed. That wasn't normal behavior. Lucas gulped, then moved to answer the door.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  12. arinzone

arinzone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I relieved now tqq gibro:love::love:

imeren likes this.
  13. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Our dear author @GiBro has worked her usual magic. :love: Was this the dress that Belle wore on their date night?
    I have gone from wanting to bitch-slap Ryan to my heart breaking for him:cry::cry::cry:
    I hope that the reunion (with all the glorious drama) between Ryan and Belle is close. We have been suffering along with them for far too long.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    arinzone, imeren, GiBro and 1 other person like this.
  14. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This suffering is tooo much
    But I think I love Ryans pov more than Belle's now.

arinzone, imeren, TZia and 1 other person like this.
  15. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good thing there'll be plenty of it soon =. But I'm afraid you'll go back to hating him for a moment before loving him again xD

arinzone, imeren, Riiii and 1 other person like this.
  16. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Knowing Ryan, I don’t expect anything less!
    Did I say that we are waiting for the reunion with all its glorious drama:p

arinzone, imeren, GiBro and 1 other person like this.
  17. Riiii

Riiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss them together so bad like I started creating stories in my head about how they would meet up and how its gonna be thereafter snd Ryan FINALLLLY telling her that he loves her.... OMGG I can't wait

arinzone, imeren, TZia and 1 other person like this.
  18. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can’t wait either! I hope we don’t have to wait too much longer, we really need our fix of Belle and Ryan☺️

arinzone, GiBro and imeren like this.
  19. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers, good morning :love:
    I'm very, very sorry to let you down, but I won't be able to post today's chapter :(
    It's not good enough, I didn't like it, and there's info missing, so I'm gonna have to take more time in it :cry:
    Again, sorry for taking longer, but it's an important chapter, I can't fix it later:(
    I'll try to post it on Saturday, but if it's still not good, I expect to have it ready for next Tuesday.
    Thank you very very much for your support and patience :love:

arinzone, TZia and imeren like this.
  20. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No worries, perfection can’t be rushed:love:

GiBro, arinzone and imeren like this.