Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm does this mean that Ryan will be dealing with Belle’s monthly PMS from here on?:X3::X3::X3:

imeren and GiBro like this.
  2. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahahah you never disappoint me :LOL: poor Belle, I think everyone gets a bit moody when in pain and bleeding without warning :ROFLMAO: let's hope she gets used to it, or doesn't have to since she'll be on pills from now on

imeren and TZia like this.
  3. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know, birth control pills can help alleviate some of the PMS symptoms but they don’t eliminate them. Belle was rather “testy” with Ryan so it’s interesting to see how he will react. My husband just kept a very low profile when it was that time of the month:p

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  4. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant the bleeding =P PMS is actually something that depends on how the woman's hormones operate. I don't have it at all, but that doesn't mean there aren't days when my husband has to keep his head down so I don't cut it off o_O it just isn't period related :ROFLMAO:

5. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically, Ryan is not wrong about him possibly causing the cyst to rupture. Ovarian cysts can rupture with vigorous activity, including sex. In fact it’s quite common to see women rushing to ER in the middle of the night complaining of sudden pain and abnormal bleeding after sex and sure enough they get diagnosed with ruptured ovarian cyst.
    I’m not sure if Belle completely disclosed what the doctor told her about sex being a possible cause for the rupture, out of fear that Ryan would avoid her afterwards. I wonder if Ryan will be super gentle with her going forwards. Seems to me that he went out of his way to pamper her after the incident:blobnosebleed:

6. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are your pitchforks sharp and your torches lit? :blobpitch::blob_thor::blobtorch:
    I miss your rants against Ryan :blobsweat: hope you'll enjoy next chapter, gonna post it now and run away, but I'll be back to read the comments :blobpopcorn::blobpeek:

7. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 51

Belle was surprised when she saw Ryan lying on his bed, reading a book. It was a thin book and he was turning one of the last pages. It was the first time she saw him with a book so short.

-Hey… I thought you'd be working now. -She paused before resuming her task of taking the clean clothes to the closet.

-Hey. -He smiled, then put the book aside on the bedside table and followed her to hold her from behind, sniffing her nape and kissing her shoulder.

She was wearing a tank top, which she had been doing a lot ever since she got the tattoo, even if only inside the house.

As expected, it had taken more sessions than scheduled, but to his surprise it hadn't been because she couldn't take the pain, but because the artist was worried about her skin being too thin and the risk of it resulting in blowout. Although at first she had been scared and he had to sit beside her and hold her hand during the first two sessions, in the other two sessions she told him he should go back to work and just sat there, reading a book, while the guy worked on the shading. Even then, Ryan took his notebook to the dinner table and sat beside her the whole while, staring daggers at the man every time she gave signs of feeling pain.

-I thought you were out studying, sorry, I didn't think about looking for you downstairs. -He caressed her forearms, then wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

-It's ok. -She kissed his mouth lightly and started to fold the clothes. Ryan immediately moved aside to help her. -But don't avoid the question.

-You didn't ask anything. -He smirked, then pressed his lips when she threw one of his underwear at him and he caught it in a fist before it touched his face. -Ok, ok… Something happened and they locked the whole team's passwords out, so now Lucas is trying to find out who messed up and Riviera is working her ass off to force them to let me go back to work. The others are on field.

Belle stared at him with a worried face.

-What if it was a cyberattack? What if it was Daniel? -Her voice trembled. -Ryan, what if they get to us?

-Relax, that was the first thing we thought about and it's already confirmed: there was an official request to lock out all of our accounts and check our logs. Someone messed up and they are trying to get to them. It happened before in other cases… Someone leaked information.

His relaxed posture gave her shivers.

-Do you know who did it, Ryan?

-Corey. -He answered with a nod. -Who else could it be?

-Was it confirmed that he… That he did those things you said? -She didn't want to bring Roy’s death up again.

-No, but he's missing, and now this happens. I can only assume he shitted the bed and ran away. But don't worry about it, I have an ongoing plan, and you'll be safe, even if he's working with Daniel.

The fact that he told her she would be safe without including himself was a huge red flag, but she could guess why. If Corey was working for Daniel, that meant that Ryan being alive wouldn't be a secret anymore.

-Relax, Belle. -He sighed and kissed her neck when he finished his part of the task. She finished arranging the last pieces of clothes and turned to him. -It will be alright. If anything, Corey might have left crumbs for us to follow.

Belle nodded and they went back to the bedroom. She had a lot of things to do, but a break would do her good, so she laid in his lap while he read. Once again, he was holding the book in a way that made it impossible to check the cover.

-Is it in French? -She frowned.

-Yep. -He sighed and turned the page.

-I didn't know you spoke French! -She gasped and sat up. -When did you take lessons?

-I didn't, I had a… -He stopped and frowned, then shook his head. -Someone I knew was French, and we chatted on a daily basis for a bit more than a year. I've learned the basics, just like Japanese and Italian. I speak fluent Spanish, though. It gave Andrews a lot more ammunition to try to bully me when she found that out.

Belle was amazed. She couldn't imagine herself being able to read a book so quickly knowing just “the basics” of a language. She did find it easy to reproduce the sounds, even in foreign languages, because of her hearing skills, but she had some difficulty with grammar and vocabulary.

-You're so awesome... What book is it?

He didn't answer immediately, taking a couple of minutes to finish the last pages, then handing it to her.

-It's no big deal, I've read it before more than once, and the first time was in English, so it's almost kind of cheating. -He shrugged. She checked the cover and recognized it more by the drawing than the title. -The little prince. Have you ever read it?

-Not exactly… I believe I did when I was too young to understand it. -She looked up, trying to remember how old she was when that happened. -My parents were still alive.

-You should read it now. -He nodded, taking the book from her hands and putting it over the bedside table. -I have a copy in English downstairs.

Belle just nodded, wondering why he would recommend the book now, but knowing she wouldn't take more than two hours to read it. He observed her reaction, then pulled her to his chest.

-Is Noah ok? -He surprised her by asking about it. She creased her eyebrows, trying to identify any other meaning for his question.

-He is… Making progress, I think. -She murmured.

-He stopped crawling after you. -He stated, pausing to check if she would defend him. -And is meeting Aaron way more often. I believe he started dealing or will soon… But I don't have any proof, it's just a feeling. I want you to stop seeing him.

-He needs me now… -Belle bit her lower lip, trying to find a way of rejecting his request without triggering an argument. -I can't now.

She didn't believe in the least that Noah was dealing, but couldn't tell him the real reason why he had reduced the frequency of their meetings and was spending more time with Aaron, without exposing him. Noah had finally realized how damaging his dependency on her could be and was trying to follow religiously the steps of his treatment. Dealing with his mood swings and his traumas had taken him to a breaking point in his relationship with his father and his half-brother. He didn't share much, mostly because she herself had asked him not to, by instruction of Dr. Fontaine, still, she was certain that the boy was only trying to connect with Aaron in order to deal with his own demons.

-Ok. -His tone was neutral and she stared at him for a while but he was looking up at the ceiling. -I gotta make a call. Wanna go out for lunch after?

She wanted to ask him who he was planning to call, and if it was about Noah, but as soon as she opened her mouth to ask, he kissed her tenderly and got up.

-Let me know if you're in for it, I'm craving for something different. -He sighed and headed for the door. -I really gotta make that call.

-Ryan! -Her own voice startled her. There was a lot of fear in it, and that was what surprised her the most. -Are you planning to hurt him?

Ryan frowned and turned to her, but his phone rang and she could tell he was torn between scolding her and answering the phone. He settled for the latter, and surprise was written all over his face when he saw the number. After a bit of hesitation he decided to answer it.

-Herrera. -She watched him quickly check his gun, then head for the drawer where he kept his second gun. -Fuck, Banner! I thought they were here, what the fuck were you thinking, using his number to call me? And how the hell did you do that?

She saw his face changing from pale to red, then to pale again. He stared at her for a while, then rubbed his hands over his forehead and cursed.

-Banner, get me Riviera in a safe line, I need to ask her a favor. -His eyes were still fixed on hers. -No, it's better if you don't know anything about it. Right. I know, don't worry, she's with me. I won't.

He put his phone back inside his pocket and ruffled his hair, then cursed under his breath and looked away from her.

-Let's go to my study, there's something I need to tell you. -If his face wasn't enough to tell her something was wrong, his tone would make it clear. She followed him downstairs and sat on his chair, while he leaned on his desk. -Look… I want you to listen to me before you say or do anything, ok? This is not the time to be dramatic or childish and I'll need to keep my head cool till everything is settled. Did you understand what I just told you, Isabelle?

Belle had her face up and all she could see in his eyes were shadows. She didn't know what Lucas had told him, but already feared and hated it. When she nodded and bit her lower lip he went on.

-Daniel has just revoked the offer of reward for you. -He waited, giving her time to process the information.

-Does that mean he knows where I am? -Her eyes widened and her mouth felt dry. -Are we in danger?

-We don't know what it means yet, but that seems to be the obvious reason. -He nodded, then looked down and sighed. -Belle… A few weeks ago, the morning after Destiny came here for that…

His phone rang and he jumped to his feet.

-You stay here. In fact, I'll lock you in. -He put his phone to his ear and rushed out the door before she could react.

Belle heard him answering the phone as soon as the door closed and he locked it. She looked around, feeling lost. It's happening. It's over. Her thoughts were dark and bitter. What was he planning to do? To keep her locked inside his study and try to keep them out of the house? She couldn't see any logic in locking her in there. He took longer than she expected to come back, or maybe she was just having the impression that the time was moving slower. After a while she heard him curse loudly, then a loud noise. When he got inside the study, his face was ashen.

-You're not going to college anymore. -He said with a blank face.

-Who cares about college, Ryan? Daniel is coming for us! Can't we, I don't know, go back to that island, and hide? -She felt her throat scratchy.

-No, first of all because I don't want to owe anything to Domenico, not if he'll have you under his custody. Secondly, because I can't make a trip that long with you without knowing how much Daniel already knows about our location. -He sighed. -There's a reason why I decided to stay here even after I found out Anthony was involved with human trafficking. Daniel won't promote a carnage here, there are too many big fishes and their children living inside this condo. If they feel threatened, they'll shoot first and ask later.

Belle stared at him. He leaned on his desk and pulled the chair closer to him. She opened her legs so his could fit between them.

-I had a huge hole dug into my plans, but I'm gonna find a solution, ok? -He took her face between his hands and kissed her forehead. -Meanwhile you won't leave this house. I'm gonna call Dr. Fontaine and check if he can come see you here for now, even if for double the price. And no Noah anymore, ok? We already have one crazy friend of yours coming after us, that should be enough.

She glared at him and tried to think about a solution not to abandon Noah.

-Can I FaceTime with him, at least? -She pursed her lips and looked down.

-What part of not letting someone take a picture of you you didn't get? -He rolled his eyes. -Don't do those kinds of shit, with anyone, even less with him.

-What aren't you telling me about Noah, Ryan? -She frowned. -It's not about you thinking he's crazy, which, by the way, is extremely offensive, including to me.

-I didn't say he's crazy because he tried to… I didn't mean it. -His tone was a bit softer. Ryan thought about it, then nodded. -I'm sorry. Aaron is dealing for Daniel, who's also buying women from Anthony. I don't know how long Noah'll keep his head above the mud. I don't want you to be near him if he decides to switch sides. And right now, I don't want that family to even remember you exist.

She felt the need to defend Noah, but knew that Ryan's perception about people's behavior was way better than hers.

-Can I text him, then? -She sighed.

-Why can't you just…?

-I can't just give up on him right now. Would you give up on me? -She interrupted him and he looked up with a startled look. He stayed in silence, his face contorting with disbelief. -Remember when I stayed at your house? Did you give up on me just because there was the possibility of me being Daniel's accomplice?

-It's way different… -He grunted and glared at her.

-Why is that? Because you care about me? -She asked him and saw him grimace, then look away. -If that's the case, then you should understand me.

-No, it's not the same, you barely know him, you've been in touch for what, eight months? It's bullshit that you care for him as much as I do for you! -His voice raised and he caught himself before it turned into a shout.

-We had met less than ten times when you took me to your place. We knew each other for less than two weeks, Ryan… And you didn't even talk to me in the first week. -She remembered the way he had acted and looked like when he rescued her, after Chloe tried to kill her. -And you know you cared for me even before that.

-That's fucking bullshit, I don't know why I'm even discussing this with you. -His ears were red and his hands were in fists when he got up. You won't leave this house till I find a way to keep you safe. I know it's gonna mess up your scores, but your safety is the priority. And I'm taking your phone back.

-What? -She got up and gasped. -No, you're not! I'm not a child, you can't just simply take my phone away! I won't give it to you!

He just huffed, opened the door and signaled her to leave. When she passed by him with a murderous gaze, he blatantly held her by her waist, locking both her arms close to her body with one arm and searched her pockets for the phone. She tried to push him as a first reaction, then tried to snatch the phone from his hand, but he had it firmly gripped.

-I'll let him know that you'll be unavailable for a while. -He sighed and she pushed his chest with both hands as soon as he let go of her, but he just stared at her with an annoyed look. -I'm doing this for your own good, Belle. I need your keys back too, by the way. Don't bother fetching them for me, I know where to find them.

She glared at him and walked away, locking herself up inside her room and putting her earphones on. It had been a while since she used that bed, so she changed the bedclothes and stared at the butterflies until she fell asleep.

Two days passed and she started to feel depressed. Ryan wouldn't tell her anything about the case, Daniel or his plan, just asked her to stay close as much as she could. Most of the time she sat over the carpet of his study, reading his books and listening to music while he worked. Even though she tried to eavesdrop, he kept his voice very low every time he had to talk on the phone, and sometimes would get out of the room and leave her alone for several minutes. On the third day, though, she was watching the news and almost spit her tea all over the sofa.

-Ryan! -She couldn't get up, her eyes glued to the screen. As he didn't answer, she shouted again. -Ryan! Come here!

When he rushed to the living room, he had his earphones on, connected to his phone in his hand.

-Shit, it's on the news already. -He said. -I'm gonna have to hang up, Belle just saw it too. No, send me the report and let the local police take care of it. But let Riviera know what we got, anyway.

-Did you know about that? Why didn't you tell me? -She was crying but didn't know exactly if it was for the victims or for themselves. -Ryan, do you think he did this to get to me?

-No, calm down, Belle. -He put his phone in his pocket and sat beside her, pulling her to his chest and kissing her mouth softly. -We don't even know yet if it was him, he didn't claim it and it's still too early in the investigation.

Belle stared at the images of the building aflame shown on the TV. It was one of the buildings destined for honors on her campus. The reporter didn't mention the number of deaths and of injured but the headline mentioned the attack had made victims.

-Don't think about it, ok? There's no point in getting desperate… -He murmured but watched the images too, his eyes scanning the screen. -I'll keep you safe.

She had the impression he was talking more to himself than to her.

-People got hurt… Do you think someone died? -Her head was spinning with adrenaline.

Suddenly, she remembered exactly how she felt at the night of the prom. The desperate state of the few girls and boys who ran out of the gym, the teachers, staffs and the principal all running to the gym demanding an explanation from her and the two or three other students that stayed there while the firemen worked to try to control the fire and remove the fireworks that hadn't exploded due to some miracle.

But there were worse memories from that night. The eleven bodies being removed one by one, the police clearly unprepared to deal with the situation, messing up the whole crime scene and, now that she thought about it, she remembered meeting that same policeman she saw coming up the stairs beside Mike on the night Roy had been murdered. He was one of the cops that had come to ask her what she had seen and if she was alright. He was also the first one to look at her with a suspicious glare when she had answered she couldn't remember anything before being lifted from the floor by a fireman.

-Belle? Did you hear me? -Ryan's voice startled her. -You look pale, talk to me.

-Ryan… Remember I told you Chloe put lots of pills inside my mouth the night of the explosion, and that it tasted like iron? -She creased her eyebrows, speaking very slowly. Ryan just nodded and put a hand to her cheek. -That didn't happen that night. It happened on the night they… That Bill...

Ryan took his hand away and frowned, then sighed and looked at her with pity.

-I know… -Belle looked down and felt the tears dropping heavily to her lap. She fought the nausea, trying with all her might not to remember the taste of the blood in Chloe's palm. -But, about that night, I remember what Daniel told us. I need to change my testimony. I knew about it, I didn't know he would do it that night, but he had told us he would deal with them… And I knew it meant he was gonna hurt them. I knew, and I didn't say anything, because I was afraid… I…

-You're not changing anything. Forget about it, there's no use in claiming guilt for what he and Trevor did. -He cut her. When she opened her mouth to protest, he shook his head and took her chin between his index finger and thumb. -Tell me this: did you know about the explosives? Did you aid him in any way with the planning or execution? Then don't go and ruin your life because of a detail. He's a psycho and you didn't know about it. You couldn't know he meant it when he said he would deal with them.

-But I knew! -She shook her head vigorously, her wet face all red. -I knew and he was expecting me to be the one to trigger the explosion, he thought I would think it was something wonderful. He did it to please me!

-And how the fuck would that be your fault, Belle? -He sighed. -You're not changing your testimony to incriminate yourself.

-I knew he was gonna hurt them, Ryan. -She shook her head. -I remember now. I thought about it and I even asked Chloe if she believed he would go as far as to… To kill them. I thought it was a possibility and I didn't do anything to stop him.

-Let's not talk about it anymore, it wasn't your fault, forget about it. -He sighed and looked away, getting up with a groan. -You couldn't know.

-But I did! -She raised her voice and he grunted to warn her to keep her voice down. -I'm his accomplice as much as Chloe!

-Shut the fuck up, Isabelle! -He hissed and put a hand on her shoulder, squeezing it hard enough to hold her in place. -Don't repeat that shit, ever again, ok? For God sake, you didn't do anything, stop trying to be a fucking martyr! Daniel planned and executed everything, you didn't do anything besides being stupid enough to trust him!

Belle didn't agree and she knew he was lying. If the truth came to light during Daniel's audiences, she would get in jail too. His eyes were burning into hers and she could tell he was very angry. When she finally gave in and nodded, he took his hand away and put it inside his pocket. They stared into each other's eyes for a while, then he went to the kitchen and came back with a jar of water, pouring for them both and sitting beside her, in silence, staring at the wall. She observed him, examining every detail. His jaw clenched, his grip on the glass, the almost imperceptible crease between his eyebrows… She was sure he also knew that she was guilty of a handful of crimes.

-We won't talk about that anymore, ok? If you want to talk that bunch of bullshit to your lawyers, it's ok, but don't ever repeat that in front of someone else, do you understand? -He sighed, avoiding looking into her eyes. -You fucking owe this to me. I didn't screw my life up just to watch you getting in jail for being naive.

Belle just stared at him, and he eventually gave up getting any signs of agreement from her.

On the five days that followed she felt like a zombie. Her mind was trying to keep away from the pain and worry, so she couldn’t really concentrate on any task for more than three minutes. Ryan’s eyes were full of anguish, although he tried to hide it away with a blank face every time she approached him. She could tell having her near was doing him more harm than good, so every time she felt like he was feeling uncomfortable, she would take a book and go to her room, then wait for him to come after her.

On one of those days, she was lying on the bed and crying sporadically while she watched the butterflies, trying to remember why she kept being Daniel's friend, since she feared him so much. After a while she came to the conclusion it had been a mix of Stockholm syndrome with drug addiction. He had always given signs of abuse, from silencing her every time she showed any discomfort about his judgment on Chloe's actions, to making her feel ashamed and unworthy every time she tried to voice out her opinion and it didn't match his expectations.

Belle wished she had seen it before. She wished she had never let him get inside her head. When she thought about how he had helped her with her aunt, encouraging her to tell everything to her lawyers and suggesting that she should seek emancipation, a sting of selfishness made her flinch. There was close to zero chances that she would’ve defied her aunt and believed in her own competence to live on her own if he hadn’t practically brainwashed her into doing it. She didn’t believe in herself enough to step up in her own defense. While she thought about it, tiredness hit her hard and she eventually gave in to sleeplessness.

She woke up with a noise in her window. At first it sounded like sporadic raindrops, but after she was completely awake, she realized someone was throwing small stones against the window panes. Her head throbbed and hurt, but she got up and peered down at the dark garden. It took some time to spot the blond haired boy, and he too didn't seem to see her, since he kept throwing more minuscule stones, startling her.

Belle frowned a bit, but after a few seconds decided to open the window. Relief was clear in Noah's face and he ran his hand through his hair a couple of times, exhaling hard.

-Thank God, I finally picked the right window. -He huffed. -What the hell is going on, Belle?

She leaned on the sill and pressed her lips.

-What did Ryan tell you? -She murmured cautiously, trying to keep her voice as low as possible.

-I'm asking you the truth. -He lifted his chin. -If I believed a word of what he said, I wouldn't be here. Can you come outside? Or is he keeping you hostage?

Belle straightened her back and glared at him. He shrugged and signaled her to meet her at the door, but she remembered she didn't have her keys anymore.

-I actually can't. Ryan is sleeping, I won't wake him up just to get the keys… -She sighed. -What time is it, by the way?

-Why don't you check it on your phone? -He crossed his arms and tilted his head with a knowing look. -Ah, right, because you don't have it anymore, do you? What's going on, Belle? It's bad, believe me, I saw this happening, like, a bit less than ten times now... This isn't right. If you need help, tell me, and I'll do everything I can to take you as far as possible from here and…

-It's not what you're thinking. -She cut him. -He's not doing anything against my will and I'm fine.

-You've been crying. -He reproached her. -A lot, it seems.

-Not because of him. -She leaned on the wall and looked up. She couldn't guess the time by the sky. -Do you have anything to tell me, besides accusing my husband of abuse, Noah?

-I have something I need to show you. -He looked disconcerted. -I was gonna hand it to him, but when he told me you wouldn't meet me ever again and that you were unreachable, I didn't think it would be wise to do that… I need you to see it first and tell me if you think he has something to do with that.

-What are you talking about, Noah? -She hissed.

-I need you to come here. I can't show it to you from this distance. -He shifted his weight in his legs and she could swear his hands were trembling. -Can't you jump out the living room’s window? It's big enough for me, you'll most certainly have no trouble getting through it.

-That's a bit ridiculous. Just tell me what it is. -She rolled her eyes and sighed. -I'm really tired, can we talk tomorrow?

-No. I can't sleep. I'm really, really worried about your safety, Belle. Please, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important. -He took a deep breath. -Ryan isn't home, he's with Destiny right now. I don't know if you lied or didn't know about it, but whatever it is, come down. I'll wait for you at the entrance door. If you don't come out in five, I'm gonna ring the doorbell until you can't take it and get there to kick my ass.

Before she could protest he just turned his back and disappeared at the corner.

Belle bit her lower lip and looked around, feeling helpless. She stormed into Ryan's room, but didn't really need to check to know that Noah was telling the truth. The bed was made, so she guessed Ryan had left hours ago. She almost yanked the drawer as she opened it angrily to check if the keys or her cell phone were there, but all she could find was his gun and the card he had given her as a birthday gift. She stared at it for a few seconds and took a deep breath, remembering Magda's words. Her faith in him couldn't be broken that easily. Still, he should have told her he would have to leave her alone, since they lived together and Daniel was coming after them. It was weird and worrying that he would simply leave for hours without any warning.

The doorbell rang and woke her up from her reveries. For a moment her eyes were drawn to the gun. No, it's only Noah, I don't need to worry or fear. It's alright. She closed the drawer and forced her feet to take her down the stairs. The doorbell rang over and over, making her head throb even more. When she reached the window, she tried to open it, but it was stuck.

-Noah! Hey, help me! -She knocked on the glass, trying to catch his attention. -Come here!

His face lit up and he jumped the bushes to reach the window, helping her push it open.

-Don't you ever open this shit? -He panted. -It was so stuck, I think you should…

-Noah, show me whatever you wanted to show me, I want to go back to sleep. -She cut him with a huff. It wasn't true. She wouldn't close her eyes until Ryan got back, but she didn't want Noah to notice how upset she was feeling. -What is it?

-I was so worried about you… -Before she could step back he reached out and hugged her, pulling half of her body out the window. -I think I'd do something awful if I didn't see you tonight.

-What do you mean? -She frowned. When he just grimaced and shook his head, she decided that she didn't want to play his mind game this time. -What did you want to show me?

He hesitated, then took a small square piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to her. She gasped and staggered back.

-Yeah, I know, that's horrible. And they left a note on the other side. -He creased his eyebrows. -Do you think Ryan could be…. Do you think he did it?

Belle just stared at the picture. It showed her smiling, but clearly embarrassed. Someone had drawn red lines, like blood gushing from her mouth and nose, a purple circle around one of her eyes and orange waves simulating fire all around her hair. This alone would have made her feel bad, but she was too numbed by the shock of the photo itself. It was the picture she had taken for her yearbook, in New York. Someone knew who she was and somehow Noah had this picture now.

-Are you ok? -He gulped. -I know it's horrible, we gotta find out who did this. I know you love him,but you need to be rational now, Belle… Do you think there's any chance of your husband…?

-Where did you get this, Noah? -She reached out and grabbed him by his shirt, pulling him with enough force to make him lose balance and lean forward.

-Whoa, calm down, don't shoot the messenger! -He grunted and tried to make her let go of his shirt. -Belle! I'm here to help you, I swear to God I don't know who did this, it was on the ground, at the parking lot, near my car!

Belle shivered and backed away from him. Someone knew who she was and knew Noah was her friend too.

-Do you know where Ryan is?

-Yes, I paid a guy to follow her. -He looked embarrassed. -I just wanted to make sure she wasn't meeting with someone that could harm my father. They're at a bar. I mean, she's with your husband.

-Can you take me there? -She looked around, trying to see in the dark if someone was lurking on them. Noah grimaced and looked away, as if he wanted to say no but was incapable of lying to her. -I wouldn't ask if it wasn't an emergency, Noah, I really need to get to him. If you can't come with me, at least give me the address and lend me your car, please.

-Are you out of your mind? It's a lair of wrongdoers, I wouldn't let you go alone to a bar full of outlaws, even less at almost two a.m.! Besides, you told me you can't drive. Are you crazy?

-I can drive now. Ryan taught me. -She started to think about what she should take. The gun now suddenly felt welcome. -I need to meet him. Now.

-You don't have a driver's license, I'll take you. -He sighed. -Do you need help to climb out?

-There's something I need to get upstairs. Go get the car, please, I'll be there in a minute. -She felt her whole body trembling with fear and anxiety.

When she got inside the car, she felt the icy touch of the gun pressed against the skin of her lower back. She had tried to use the holster, but it looked ridiculously large on her and would draw a lot of attention. Instead, she decided to wear a hooded coat that was too big for her, which was convenient to hide her face and body as much as the gun.

-A lot of things have happened since you've been gone. I thought you were just afraid, because of the explosion on honors, so I was gonna give you some space… -Noah couldn't take his eyes from the road. -But this week, cops ran through the campus and took a lot of students, like, a lot. I heard it's around fifty, at least four of them were girls. They just came in and handcuffed them, without any warning, it was insane. I thought I'd have a heart attack, for a moment a cop came in my direction, but he took a girl instead… Anna, Carter ex, that short brunette with a huge mouth, you know?

She didn't answer, just stared at the picture for a long time, and Noah drove in silence.

-Do you know what it means? -He cleared his throat when his voice crackled.

-That someone wants to hurt me. Badly. -She pouted.

-No, I mean the phrase. -He frowned. -Long live the queen. What does that have to do with you? It might be a clue, does Ryan have any English enemies?

Belle turned the picture and started to cry. It had to be Daniel. She grew suddenly paranoid, staring at the mirrors and around them, waiting for an ambush. She remembered that Ryan had told her he was partially convinced that she would be safe as long as she stayed inside the condo. She had made a terrible mistake, putting both their lives at risk. The road was deserted, but sometimes she could get a glimpse of a car driving far behind them with its lights off.

-Oh my God! We're being followed… -She whined. -I'm so, so sorry, Noah. Please, if anything happens, just try to survive, ok? Don't worry about me, just cooperate and make sure they don't hurt you, ok?

-Relax, they are the guys that your husband hired to keep an eye on me. -He shook his head. -That's why I had to hire someone to follow Destiny, he would know if I did it myself.

She felt her heart pounding in her ears as her breathing started to even again. They drove for two hours or more. When he stopped the car in the middle of nowhere she creased her eyebrows.

-We'll have to walk a bit. I know, it looks bad, but I don't want someone to mark my car. -He pressed his lips when she looked alarmed, turning her head to check that there was only tall grass to both sides of the road and that the place he had parked made the car practically invisible in the dark. -Do you trust me, Belle? You know I'd never harm you, right?

Panic rose and she gulped. Daniel had said those same words a thousand times before, and she knew what good it had brought, to trust him. After a while she nodded.

He got out of the car and helped her out, then held her hand firmly and led her through the tall grass. Her mind kept reminding her of Betty’s accusation. The girl had been found naked, bleeding, with signs of sexual assault, in a place exactly like this one. Although now the version had been changed, Betty had sworn Noah was the aggressor. As they walked deeper inside the darkness, she grew even more afraid of him and started to feel the symptoms of the panic attack. After some heavy breathing in and out, she fell to her knees, with her heart pounding and her eyes brimming..

-Are you ok? -He kneeled beside her and tried to lift her head but she slapped his hand away. -Hey, don't do this! Someone once told me it isn't right to go and hurt people who are trying to help you…

She looked up and put both palms to the ground, pressing it down and trying to slow down her breathing and heartbeat. He stayed near her, waiting patiently for her to calm down, then patted her back lightly and tried to look into her eyes.

-That person is always right, you know? -He chuckled when he noticed she was back to her normal, then put a hand on her shoulder and shook it slightly. -Because she's the brightest and kindest person I've ever met.

Belle smiled slightly and wiped the sweat from her forehead. He helped her up and wiped her forehead with his sleeve.

-Are you sure you wanna go there? From what he told me, it's really bad. -He kicked a stone aside. -We can go back and you can wait for him at my place… I can ask my father to leave his bodyguards on alert, too.

-No, I need Ryan. -She panted. -Please…

-Ok, ok. Just promise me you won't go inside,we should wait for him to get out and then talk to him.

She didn't answer and they resumed their walk. They moved as fast as they could for fifteen minutes before she started to hear voices and music. The laughter was louder than the melody. The bar itself didn't look like a nice place to have a drink, but it wasn't in bad shape. It just looked like a good place to find and hire a murderer.

Belle nodded to herself, then strode toward the door.

-No, you'll stay here. -Noah grabbed her arm, but she broke away from his grip with no effort and tried to walk faster without running. -Belle, please…

He stopped a few steps behind her and ran both hands through his hair. She paused and looked at him, but bit her lower lip and pushed the door open.

The stench of sweat and alcohol inside was dizzying. She scanned the place, without getting in, and immediately spotted Ryan.

Belle's blood froze, then boiled. Diana was seated in his lap, actually almost straddling him, kissing and biting his neck.

novelenthusiast1717, imeren and TZia like this.
  8. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG!!!:blobfearful::blobangery::blobdevil:
    OK, I need some time to reread and process all of this information.
    First horrible thought that came to mind is that Belle will blow Ryan’s cover and get him killed! Ufff this is too much:cry::cry:
    God Ryan is right about Belle being so stubborn, I don’t know who is pissing me off more, Belle,Ryan or dumbass Noah. I just feel that he is a real snake still bent on sabotaging Belle’s relationship. I hope that Ryan kicks his ass if he manages to survive and as for Belle, ok that’s another long rant for another post.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    novelenthusiast1717, imeren and GiBro like this.
  9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting eagerly for the rant :blobpopcorn_cool:
    And very surprised by the lack of hate toward Ryan :hmm:

10. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well Ryan isn’t out of the woods on this one, I’m sure he has his share of the blame. I just need to reread the chapter since I read through it quickly in anticipation. I just need to take my time and savour each of your words like a fine wine;)

11. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, I have re-read the chapter and this was a bombshell, there is so much going on and so many wrongs!

Let’s start with Ryan. Leaving Belle alone without telling her and leaving no means for her to contact him is pretty bad. I should be ranting alot more about this but I’m not. Maybe his character grew on me, but something tells me that he probably had a good reason for doing this. A couple of things come to mind. In chapter 41 he told Belle “So, if I have to do some things that you don't like… Please, keep in mind that I'm doing everything, really, anything at all, everything I can, to protect you. It's not just work anymore. It's my life, too, now. You are a huge part of me now, do you get it?” Although it looks really bad and Belle has every right to feel angry and hurt, the question is how strong is her trust and faith in him? We also know from the conversation that Ryan had with Magda on the island, he revealed that he had taken some steps to further protect Belle (and Belle didn’t know yet and surely won’t like it) I wonder if Ryan was about to tell her when he started to say “Belle… A few weeks ago, the morning after Destiny came here for that…” and then got interrupted by the call.

Belle leaving the house to go after Ryan was a really bad idea. Aside from putting Ryan’s life at risk I can’t understand why she is so stubborn about her “friendship” with Noah, especially after Magda warned her that it could harm her. Why does she trust Noah so much, I’ll never understand. Also the last time she disobeyed Ryan’s orders to stay put (in the bunker), it cost Roy’s life, did she not learn from that, to control her impulsive behavior? On the way over to the bar she started to have some doubts about making a terrible decision but she still went ahead with it when she could have asked Noah to turn back.

Regarding Noah, I just don’t have words to describe all the bad and vile feelings that he stirs up in me. Why is he so obsessed with the idea that Ryan is abusing Belle? And why on earth is he following Ryan’s movements? He said that he paid to have Destiny followed but I think that was just a pretext to follow Ryan. I really don’t trust him and how convenient was the fact that he found Belle’s picture near his car? It just doesn’t add up. I also find it suspicious that his father and half-brother are connected to Daniel. Is Noah one of Daniel’s followers but wants to claim Belle for himself? Just putting the question out there…
    What I also find suspicious is the fact that he insists that he is not like his father and that once he gets his medical degree he will go as far away as he can get, yet he doesn’t have the fortitude to stand up to his father now. I guess the money and the lifestyle that his father provides weighs more than his “convictions”? I’m sorry but I have a very hard time liking Noah’s character and I really wish Belle would free herself from him.

Well things were seemingly quiet but now it looks like the sh*t storm is going to drop. At this point I really fear for both their lives and I hope that the author won’t take us down that dark path. Ufff it’s going to be a painfully long wait until Tuesday:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    novelenthusiast1717, GiBro and imeren like this.
  12. novelenthusiast1717

novelenthusiast1717 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m going to have to join @TZia on the rant
    wagon here!

Communication! If only they Had better communication, there wouldn’t be so many misunderstandings! Ugh! But I love it! Lol I mean don’t get me wrong, they had a great stretch there where they would be honest with each other but when it comes to the important things they don’t voice it out.

I think Ryan and belle both need to get the heat! Because Ryan does things for the protection of belle. Doesn’t mean they are always the right decisions or actions but his intentions have been pretty clear. I hope lol. I mean he wouldn’t tell her to lie about her testimony if he didn’t care for her, he literally told her that. As per belle, she’s been burned so many times that I understand her impulsive behavior even if they aren’t the smartest reactions.

All in all, if they would just rely on each other, and see that they need to be a team. They are making all the wrong decisions for all the right reasons. They don’t see how much potential they have if they become a team of their own, becoming the dynamic duo, instead of leaving each other in the dark. They can literally conquer the world!

And Noah, he really is all over the place. @TZia makes such great points as per Noah in the previous comment. I had a mind blown moment from thinking about all the possibilities!

And don’t get me started with Diana, ugh :blobangery:belle just needs to put her in her place and just slap her and show her who’s the woman here! Belle needs to put her big girl pants on and just put her in her place, that’s all I’m saying! Lol :blobpitch:

Dear author you are always keeping us on the edge of our seats with every chapter and wanting more! :love:

Anxiously waiting for the next chapter!

P.S I can’t believe there are under 10 chapters left! If I’m being 100% honest, I hope there is a 3rd book because I don’t think 10 chapters is enough for us to get our fill of belle and Ryan! I just love this story so much!

imeren, GiBro and TZia like this.
  13. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree 100% with rant of @novelenthusiast1717:love::love::love:

imeren, GiBro and novelenthusiast1717 like this.
  14. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love your rants. :giggle:
    I wish I could post everyday, but I'm behind schedule wrapping this book (tbh I often catch myself writing book 3 parts... the other day I cried writing and then I told myself "I should take a break" but then I realized I shouldn't be writing book 3 until I finished this one :notlikeblob:)

I'm curious though, do you think you'd be that ok with Ryan having Destiny straddling him if you hadn't read the spoiler about Magda and Ryan's dialogue?
    I ask this because I have other readers a bit wanting to rip his balls off and I think I didn't sent them the spoiler...

15. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG does this mean that there will be a Book 3!!! I certainly hope so, as @novelenthusiast1717 said, we can’t get enough of Belle and Ryan. :blobnosebleed:

Regarding Destiny straddling Ryan, yes I think the initial reaction is to rip off his balls with teeth because the spoiler didn’t reveal that much other than Magda knowing about her and hints that she was somehow involved (indirectly) in Richard’s death. Also Magda had some reservations as to why Ryan was letting her get close to him even if it was within the context of work: “Don’t you think this is a bit too much? Why did her mouth even get that near your skin? -She frowned.” I don’t think that Ryan provided a good explanation for that so we are still in the dark about the whole Ryan/Diana situation. At this point we just have to trust that Ryan is playing his undercover role but it doesn’t make things any easier for Belle. Couple this with the lack of communication and the situation is an explosive one. I fear that there will be an explosion of emotions and drama ahead from both our leads. There is no way that Ryan is going to be ok with Belle going after him and it may make him even more resolute about distancing her from the situation.

If we look at what our dear author @GiBro has hinted, we are probably heading for a tsunami of tears and I just hope that our leads can ride the wave and come out of it okay or dare I dream “stronger as a couple”?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  16. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 52

Ryan was talking to a big muscled man who seemed to be more interested in checking her panties, or the lack of them from under her skirt than in whatever the dark eyed man had to tell him. Ryan didn't really look aroused with her gestures, but she noticed when his hand gripped and squeezed her waist while she sucked his earlobe, making her jolt.

Belle stood there, paralyzed. She watched as he whispered something in Diana's ear and she got up, heading toward the bar. He stood up too and leaned on the table, gesturing and explaining something to the big man, who now showed signs of interest in whatever he was telling him. When the detective pointed toward Diana and shrugged, the man nodded and they shook hands.

-Hey there, little riding hood… -A man’s voice startled Belle. She turned her head involuntarily and saw a bearded guy leering at her from a table at a corner. -Come closer, sweetie…

Belle could tell he was completely drunk. He tried to get up but fell back to his seat. She looked around, but no one else seemed to have noticed her. At least not until the guy shouted something about a big bad wolf eating up a little nosy pretty girl. Ryan's eyes immediately flew toward the voice and their eyes met. She flinched. That gaze was the one he had used only once before, at his place, when he got really mad at her for snooping.

She immediately ran out and fell on her buttocks when her body collided against Noah's. The gun hurt her so much that she groaned.

-Did someone see you? Should we run? -He quickly lifted her from the floor and pulled her by her arm, his voice raspy and trembling. -Belle, what happened? Are we in danger?

-No, no, Noah. -She panted. Ryan was really furious. He would beat Noah if he saw him with her. -Stay away from me, please. Keep an eye on me, but stay away, please, don't let anyone see you.

Noah seemed uneasy but nodded and walked deeper into the tall grass, vanishing in the dark. She crouched and watched the door.

Ryan got out, with the big man beside him. She heard him laugh in response to something the man said. She got on all fours and slowly approached them to hear their conversation.

-Yeah, she is a thing, isn't she? -Ryan chuckled, then pulled a cigarette pack from his pocket.

Belle watched in shock as he flicked it with the back of his hand, putting one between his lips, then offering the pack to the man. The big man took it and put one to his mouth too, letting Ryan light it for him. She didn't even know he had a lighter, even less that he smoked. He puffed a cloud of smoke up and sighed.

-She could be yours. -He tilted his head. The man looked at him sideways, clearly tensing up. -This is not a test, relax. Believe me, I can get one ten times better in a minute. I really don't mind if you take her.

The man looked back at the bar and sucked smoke in, letting it out through his nose.

-Well… She is… A thing. -He nodded. -But I don't think she would really want to come with me. My style is a bit… Heavy.

-If you promise to take her to the palace as you mentioned before, she'll be over your bed in a blink of an eye. I'm telling you... She's devoted.

-That I noticed. Well… I'd take her, no doubt. -The man nodded. -Why don't you volunteer to the palace? I've heard some things about you, the king could do good use of your skills.

-No, I don't want to live a comfortable life, I like the feeling of the blood in my hands. No offense, but I won't sit in a room and wait to be ruled around by him. -Ryan puffed again and cleared his throat. -He pays me well and I do my job. That's all I want. But she… She wants more.

He tilted his head toward the bar. Diana got out almost immediately and walked slowly toward him, embracing his waist.

-Hey, babe. -He smiled and she tried to take his cigarette from between his fingers, but he held it out of her reach. The man offered his to her and she took it after some hesitation. -Bruce here was telling me that he'd take you to the palace, if you proved to be worthy…

-Ah, would you really? -She said in a very sweet voice, then turned to Ryan. -And would you be ok with that, my love?

He winked at her and Belle saw apprehension quickly being replaced by anger, then by a fake smile that the man didn't seem to notice. She sucked in a huge amount of smoke from her cigarette and leaned toward Ryan, pulling him by his nape. When their lips met, Belle had to bite her sleeve to avoid making any sound.

His hand moved to her lower back and gripped her dress in a fist. Belle could see her tongue invading his mouth along with the smoke. It was a very quick kiss, but it seemed to last an eternity. He broke contact by lifting his head in a way she couldn't reach his mouth anymore, then huffed the smoke out and puffed on his cigarette.

-Why would I care? You told me life in the palace was everything you ever dreamed of... Here's someone that can make your dreams come true. -He shrugged, discreetly wiping his mouth with his wrist. -Besides, you won't shut up about how much you'd like to bang him, right? Here's your opportunity, do your best and he'll have you as his princess.

She stared at him with a hopeless expression. Ryan pushed her by her shoulder toward the man and she staggered, standing very close to his large chest.

-Show him what you got, babe. -Ryan smirked and spanked her hard, producing a loud slapping sound. She jerked her back and staggered toward the man again, leaning on him for balance. -Why don't you two spend some time together? I'm gonna finish this and go home. I need to get some things ready for tomorrow's task. You don't mind it if I lock the door right? I don't expect you to come home tonight...

Diana shot him a glare and the man pulled her closer. She smiled and kissed his mouth lightly then followed him inside.

Belle watched in the dark while Ryan sighed and looked up, still smoking on his cigarette. He looked around and rubbed his mouth in his sleeve with a low grunt, then puffed again, taking his phone from his pocket, turning it on and typing endlessly, shaking his head or grunting between one round of typing and the other. After some minutes he threw his cigarette on the ground and stepped on it, then strode toward her. Directly toward her. Her eyes widened and she tried to back away, but he reached the grass before she could even turn and pulled her up by her nape.

-Ryan! -She gasped.

-Shut the fuck up. -He hissed in her ear, looking behind them. He pushed her so she would walk close in front of him, shoving her aside by her shoulder every time he wanted her to turn. When they got far enough from the bar he turned and looked around, holding her biceps firmly.

-I'm gonna count to three and if you don't show yourself I'm gonna put a bullet to your fucking stupid head, you piece of shit. -He said it just loud enough so Noah could hear him.

-I… I'm sorry, she asked me to bring her, I didn't know what to do, you wouldn't answer your phone and… -Noah approached them with both hands raised and tried to explain himself.

Ryan reached him in only two strides and punched him in the face so hard that Noah fell down on his back and didn't move anymore. The sound of the impact of the fist itself was louder than the one of the body hitting the ground. Belle let out a shriek and ran toward him, but Ryan caught her by her waist and swiped her off of her feet with his leg, sitting her on the ground. He frowned and fumbled at her waist, lifting the hem of her hoodie to check under it. His face as he showed her the gun with a questioning look was something between disbelief and confusion, but after he checked it and fastened it in his own waist, his expressionless mask was back.

-Do you have the slightest idea of the risk you just put us both through? -He scolded her, crouching in front of her. -This place is filled with Daniel's followers. They are too green to know about me, but they do know about you. They dream about you. They know every detail of your face by heart, goddammit!

She just stared at him with big wide eyes. He noticed how frightened she was and when her eyes darted toward Noah he moved to block her view of the boy's body.

-What are you doing here, Belle? -He sighed. -Please tell me it wasn't just for pure jealousy.

Belle couldn't find her voice. She just sobbed and panted, so afraid of him that no tears streamed. Ryan took a deep breath and kneeled in front of her, taking her face between his hands and kissing the top of her head. She flinched but didn't react.

-He'll be fine. -He looked back just in time to see Noah's face contort in pain. -See? He's almost back, don't worry. Tell me why you're here. I'm sorry I frightened you, I'm just very worried about you.

Since she wouldn't answer, he sat on the floor and pulled her to his arms, resting his chin over her head. Belle slowly calmed down and her tense body started to respond to his embrace involuntarily. She clung to his neck and cried murmuring she was sorry for putting his life at risk. Noah moved again and sat up with difficulty, covering half of his face with his open palm.

-What happened? -He growled, seeming confused.

-Belle, why are you here? -Ryan murmured in her ear again. -Why did you come here?

She pushed away from him, even though he tried to keep her body pressed against his chest, and pulled the picture from her pocket. He tried to check it in the dark but it was impossible.

-What is it? -He sighed, taking his phone out of his pocket. He poked his head up to check their surroundings before carefully using the phone's screen to shed light over the small piece of paper. The light just flashed, since he turned it off as soon as he glanced at both sides of it. -What the fuck? This is from your yearbook, isn't it? Where the hell did you…

-I've found it in the parking lot. It was near my car. -Noah grumbled. -I think I need to go to a hospital. There's something making a noise inside my head.

-I hope you die. -Ryan answered nonchalantly and turned to Belle again. -Fuck… What am I gonna do with you, Belle? Shit.

Belle looked down. This wasn't the reaction she had been expecting. He looked impotent and hopeless. She had believed that showing the picture to him would be a solution, that he would immediately contact his team and quickly find whoever did that and get to Daniel through him. Instead, he cursed again and again and embraced her, pressing her firmly against his body.

-I really think I need to go to a hospital… -Noah groaned and laid on the floor. -I think I…

-Shut up, Noah. -Ryan's voice sounded like a growl. -You shouldn't have come here, you shouldn't have brought her here. If I knew this was your intention, I would have dealt with your spy, instead of sitting and waiting, in hopes that you'd show up there alone and get yourself beaten to death.

Noah groaned and sniffed.

-Let's go home, there's no point in staying here now. -Ryan shook his head and helped her get to her feet. -Where are your keys, shithead? You can walk, can't you?

Noah sat up again and grimaced. He handed his car keys and looked worried.

-Are you gonna leave me here? -He murmured. -I really believe I need to see a doctor, Mr. Herrera.

-First of all, I didn't even hit you that hard. Stop being such a pussy. -Ryan glared at him with a disgusted face. -Belle will drive you home. Where you'll go after you both get inside the condo and she's safe is your problem, not ours. Make sure to come up with a good excuse for your bruise, I don't want to have to break your father's neck tonight.

Noah nodded but grimaced when his neck snapped and pain was clear in every inch of his face.

-I'm hearing a noise, I think there's blood inside my face, blood gushing. -He moaned.

-I really hope you die. -Ryan shrugged and put an arm around Belle's shoulders. -Where's your car?

When he saw the boy's confused expression as he looked around, he looked at Belle, but she didn't seem to be sure about the direction either.

-Holly fucking Christ, you two didn't plan it even a bit, did you? -He sighed and took his phone out again, texting a bit before looking at the sky and nodding. He turned Belle by her shoulders and signaled her to walk straight in that direction. -Fucking incompetent bastard goofy asshole.

They walked for twenty minutes before Ryan stopped. Noah fell on his knees once, but the detective pulled him to his feet by his hair, hissing that if he did it again it would be better if it was because he had passed out, or else he would give him reasons not to be able to walk.

-Don't you fucking dare stop anywhere, even if he begs to be taken to the hospital, did you understand? -He took her face in his hands and kissed her forehead, then wiped his mouth and brushed her forehead with the tip of his fingers. -How the fuck did you get dirt all over your face? I'm gonna join you as soon as I'm sure I won't be followed. Please, be careful and drive safely. Two cars are gonna follow you, if you feel uneasy hit the brakes lightly thrice in a row and they'll light up their lanterns to show you their location, ok?

She nodded.

-I love you, Ryan. Sorry for making you worry… I thought I…

-Fuck, I wish I had your phone with me. -He sighed, not giving any signs that he had heard her. -How the fuck did you leave the house?

-I jumped out the window. -She bit her lower lip. -I'm really sorry. I love you.

-Of course you did. -He shook his head. -I'm gonna give you the most epic earful when I get home. I was stupid for believing you'd stay put because you didn't have your phone and keys, I've underestimated your lack of self preservation.

He took his keys from his pocket and gave her the house's one.

-Be careful. I expect to meet you one hour after you get there. I have to go somewhere first, to make sure it's safe to join you... -He hesitated then took his keychain out again, snatching the key from her hand and putting it back there. -This one opens my study's door. Your cell phone is on the third drawer, this key opens it. There are things there that I don't want you to mess with, I'm trusting you that you'll get only your phone and lock it without looking at anything else. Can you do this for me?

Belle stared at the keychain and nodded. He lifted her face toward him with a finger under her chin and she nodded again, this time looking into his eyes.

-Promise me. This is really important to me, Belle. Take only your phone and turn it on as soon as you can. Don't take or touch anything else, ok? -He sighed. -I won't ever trust you again if I find out you disobeyed me this time, and I mean it.

-I swear on my life. -She nodded vigorously.

-Doesn't mean much. -He rolled his eyes. -Swear it on mine.

-I won't touch anything else, I promise you. You can trust me, Ryan. -She bit her lower lip. -I love you.

Ryan just stared at her and kissed the top of her head very lightly, then pushed her toward the road. The fact that he hadn't answered even once to her declaration was bugging her, but she didn't think this was the time to confront him about it. When she got into the car, she tried to look at him but there was only grass all around. Noah groaned while he fastened his seatbelt beside her and she begged him not to fall asleep, saying she would try to take them home as fast as possible.

She never got a glimpse of the two cars Ryan had sent to escort them, but she was so tense about the possibility of being followed and intercepted by Daniel that she just felt very glad when they got through the condo’s gate. She parked the car and rushed to check Noah's face. His nose and eye were very swollen and a deep red mark could be seen on his cheek.

-Can Destiny's driver take you to the hospital? I'd go with you, but Ryan…

-Just go, Belle, I'll text you when I get to the hospital, ok? We'll keep in touch. -He sighed. She nodded and put a hand to his other cheek. He closed his eyes and rested his head on her hand. -Belle, I…

She took her hand away and waited, but he kept his eyes closed.

-You? -She murmured when the silence started to feel uncomfortable. -Are you ok?

-I'll tell you later, if I survive. -He smirked and took a step back. -I'm sorry for taking you there, this was really stupid. Anyway… Are you getting a divorce?

-I'm sorry? -She looked confused.

-He and Destiny, they are clearly… I mean, we both saw him slapping her butt and kissing her, right?

Belle looked down. In the heat of the moment she hadn't stopped to think about how she felt when she saw him with Diana. She shook her head slightly.

-It's not what you're thinking. -She shook her head more vigorously. -It's complicated, Noah.

-Sure. -He looked away and sighed, then turned to her. -You know what? What worse can he do?

He stepped closer to her and pulled her by her nape. When their lips touched and she felt his tongue poke between them, she reacted without thinking. He groaned and fell to his knees, his hands grabbing his groins firmly.

-What the fuck, Belinda? -He groaned and panted. -God! Fuck!

Belle didn't feel sorry. In fact she didn't know how she felt. Her knee was hurting from the impact. She took a few steps back, unsure if she should help him or walk away.

-Get to a hospital, please, Noah. -She said without looking at him, then turned and ran for her house, fidgeting with the keychain to get inside as quickly as possible.

After making sure the window was locked, Belle headed for Ryan's study. She looked around, realizing she had no idea where the light switch was. He was trusting her, she had to go straight for the drawer and get her phone, then lock everything up and forget about this key. She repeated to herself that her curiosity wasn't worth losing him, then headed for the desk. When she opened the drawer, her phone and charger moved toward her. She snatched them, but when she was about to close it, her eyes got caught up by a small box. It had a velvety texture and looked like a ring box. Her heart started to pound and her cheeks burned. She swallowed her need to check it, looking more closely to the other things inside the drawer.

There was a folder with a tag. She tried to read it without touching it, but it was too dark inside the drawer. She thought about using the cell phone to provide some light, but the battery was depleted. She squinted a bit and came to the conclusion that it looked like her name and a sequence of numbers. She didn't know if it was her brain filling gaps, but at least “Ross” was pretty clear to her.

There was also a red flash drive and four HDDs, and she recognized two of them, because they were hers. Her eyes moved to the small ring box and her fingers tingled with the need to open it. That drawer had been obviously reserved to store things about her, so that box had to have something to do with her. She didn't want to feed hopes, but if he had bought her a ring… After some hesitation, she finally shut the drawer and locked it, then headed for the door.

Belle put her phone to charge and took a shower, to try to appease the tension and the anxiousness. She was heading for the kitchen when there was a knock on the front door. She froze and waited.

-Belle? -Ryan knocked again.

She ran to open the door and as soon as he stepped inside she threw herself into his arms.

-Hey… -He sighed against her neck. -Fuck, what am I supposed to do about you?

Belle turned her face away from his neck. He had an unbearable smell of smoke that reminded her of Trevor. Even worse, it was mixed with Diana's sweet perfume. She pushed back and took a step away from him. When she looked at him her heart sank. A huge hickey could be seen on the side of his neck, near his earlobe.

-Don't panic, Belle. I'll keep you safe… I'm gonna make some calls and… Shit, I really don't know what I can do, Belle. -He looked up, unaware of her gloomy stare. -Fuck, Sandra is gonna be pissed if I wake her up now.

-What are you gonna ask her help for? -She asked him, just because she really hoped he had a plan.

He stared at her and opened his mouth, but closed it and shook his head.

-Ryan?

-Come with me upstairs, I'm really needing a shower and to brush my teeth with acid or something. -He made a face and walked toward the stairs. -Thank you for not making me feel even more miserable about it, by the way.

She just looked down. There were a thousand questions and complaints rolling inside her head, but at the same time she didn't want to have a fight with him.

When he got out of the shower he sighed and laid beside her. She was lying with her arms on each side of her body, staring at the ceiling, trying to convince herself that she shouldn't feel resentful toward him.

-I'm sorry. -He murmured. -I'm not getting any pleasure from it, I swear.

She just nodded, without looking at him.

-I have something worse to tell you. -He went on. -And I'm gonna tell you now, because I don't think I can keep it for long, and I would rather be the one to tell you. I think Riviera is gonna have to appeal to the President and shit will get messy…

She turned her head to look into his eyes. He was clearly exhausted and unwilling to tell her whatever he was about to.

-I've asked them to move you.

-You what? -She sat up and he groaned, sitting up too. -What do you mean move me? What about you?

-I'm leading an operation. I'm working under cover. We are closing in on Daniel. There's a possibility of him already knowing I'm alive, so it's risky for you to be near me. -He used his fingers to count down the motives for him to stay. -And, as much as I'd like to believe it would do me good to leave Destiny to die, I just can't.

-Then I won't go. -She shrugged. -I'm not leaving without you. And you can't force me, I've researched about it months ago, you can't send me away against my will.

-Well… -He grimaced. -You probably didn't think it through as much as I did.

She stared at him and the pieces fit together inside her head even before he started to explain.

-I can force you, if I prove you're not capable enough to take that decision on your own… I'm your husband, after all. -He stared at his fingertips. -And I might have convinced doctor Fontaine to…

-You're an asshole! -She shouted. -Did you get a diagnosis that says I'm incapable, just to force me to do something you knew I wouldn't want to?

He nodded, still not looking at her. She wanted to slap him.

-How dare you? How could you? Do you even… What do I mean to you, Desmond? -She was surprised by the lack of tears. She was so angry and so tired, she thought she could burn a hole in his face with her gaze. -Answer me!

-Keep your voice down and stop calling me Desmond. -He answered in a calm tone. -You have no idea of how much you mean to me. I'm doing this for you.

-No, you're not! -She looked around, trying to find anything she could throw at him without hurting him too much. -You're not doing this for me, you're doing this because you don't want to feel guilty for whatever they do to me!

She settled by snatching the pillow and slamming it repeatedly against his chest and head. He sighed and let her do that for a few seconds, until she realized how childish this was and simply shoved it in his face, getting up to leave. He snatched her hand and threw the pillow behind him.

-That's also true… But I'm really hoping I'm gonna get him before he finds out where they took you. I just can't afford to lose you, Belle… -He didn't sound offended or hurt by her words. In fact his voice was emotionless. -It's done, anyway, there's nothing we can do about it. The only problem is that the Marshals won't answer my requests.

-Plural? Since when are you planning that? -She felt her eyes burning and her head throb.

-Since that dinner. -He pressed his lips.

-Our dinner? -She frowned. -Why? What did I do wrong?

-No, that dinner with Anthony. Destiny seeing you was already enough to make me want to leave with you. When she told me Anthony and Aaron were in touch with Daniel… -He gave her a knowing look. -You have to admit I didn't really have a choice.

Belle's legs trembled and she sat on the bed. So this had been planned long ago. He had been hiding this since before her birthday. She thought about all the cute moments, from the island to the romantic dinners, and began to hate them ever so slightly, since they all felt like lies. He wasn't cherishing her because he felt something for her. He was just enjoying a possible last day beside her.

Still, she couldn't hate him. She still loved him, more than anyone or anything. She needed him, even if he didn't really need her.

-At least come with me. -Her voice was thin and trembling when she finally started to cry. Ryan looked away. -Why?

-I already told you all the reasons why. -He shook his head. -Besides, they are ignoring one request, imagine if I demanded everything I did in New York… Whoever is sitting on Florida’s chief chair is a fucking son of a bitch and isn't giving a shit to witnesses safety.

Belle didn't answer. She was so angry and feeling so much pain that she felt the need to hurt him as much as she was feeling hurt. For a moment she thought about the strange sensation. She had never experienced the need for revenge and feeling that toward Ryan shocked her even more. He huffed and put a forearm over his eyes.

-Don't be dramatic about it, we'd have to part one day, anyway. This just rushes things up. -Her temper boiled with his words, but he wasn't done breaking her heart yet. -Look at the bright side: you’ll meet new people with a different culture again, only that this time you'll be more prepared… That means you'll have the opportunity to find someone that deserves you, eventually, and finally have a normal life.

Belle wanted so much to slap him in the face that she ran both hands through her hair and pulled it just to occupy them. After some thought she stared at him and pressed her lips, forming a straight line.

-The person I met, that I thought had ties with Daniel, is his sister, Sarah.

Ryan sat with his back straight and turned his whole body toward her.

-What the hell? -He frowned. She just stared at him, trying to hide her emotions as he always did, but anger and spite were all over it. -And you didn't think that it was fucking vital for you to tell me that she was studying there? What's wrong with you?

-She doesn't like him, so I didn't think… -Belle regretted saying anything about it. Her objective was to get him mad, but only now she realized he would be furious, but not only at her.

-She fears him! -He pulled her by her wrist when she started to get up to leave the room. -She fucking fears him and will do anything for him to leave her alone, including giving you in, you stupid motherfucker!

He took his phone from his pocket and started to text.

-Are you gonna hurt her? -She tried to read what he was texting.

-I'm gonna find out where she lives and if she met him or had any contact with him this year. -He was focused, typing fast. -Fuck! You're so fucking naive sometimes, Belle!

-She doesn't like him, she won't meet with him or contact him. -She murmured, trying to ignore the offenses he was throwing at her. -She has a daughter and is pregnant.

He stopped typing.

-Fuck. -He sighed and looked up.

-What? -She tried to read what was on his screen but he pushed her by her chest and she fell back.

-I can't let them torture or terrorize a pregnant woman, that's what. She might lose her baby. -He shook his head and stared at the wall for a few seconds. Then looked back at the screen and nodded, resuming his typing. -I'm assuming she's married, am I right? Do you happen to know his name?

-You said you wouldn't hurt her! -She tried to snatch his cell phone, but he held it out of her reach. -I won't let you hurt her or her husband!

-I need to let them know how far they can go to get the information. If she cooperates no one gets hurt, ok? -He pushed her away when she tried to snatch his arm. -This is not a game, Belle, she might have given a lot of information about you. About me, too! Do you want him to find us?

-I don't want you to hurt people because of me! Please, Ryan, forget about her. Leave her alone!

He took her picture from his pocket and put it in front of her.

-Don't you think it's too much of a coincidence that she studied in the same school as you and now this has been found? Is this what you want to happen to you, Isabelle? -He practically roared. -If not, let me do my job, ok?

She gulped and stared at him. When he nodded and headed for the door she got up too.

-I prefer this to happen. -She pointed at the small picture over the bed. -Than knowing you hurt someone innocent to avoid this. You're so selfish sometimes… I don't even know how I can love someone like you!

And then she strode out of his room and banged her bedroom's door.

novelenthusiast1717, TZia and imeren like this.
  17. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really curious to read the comments about Noah, about Ryan and about Belle on this one :blobpopcorn::blobpeek:

18. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Belle implying that Ryan is sending her away to avoid feeling guilty if Daniel’s group manages to find her? This doesn’t make sense, Ryan will do anything to keep her safe including sacrificing himself.
    Can our dear author @GiBro please explain if I interpreted correctly what Belle said?

novelenthusiast1717 and imeren like this.
  19. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly what she said, that he's sending her away so he won't be responsible if Daniel gets her, because he won't be responsible for her anymore. It's nonsensical, she's enraged and trying to come up with a reason for his decision, not being logical.
    Have in mind she doesn't know he loves her, and doesn't believe he will, she still thinks she's a burden.

PS: when Ryan says "that's also true", his interpretation for what she said was: Belle is in more danger being around him now that he's dealing directly with Daniel's followers, and now that Corey might tell Daniel he's alive. For that, he prefers to be deprived from her company than to watch her suffer the consequences of an attack that should be directed only to him.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  20. TZia

TZia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for clarifying this, now it makes sense. As I suspected, alot of drama and explosive emotions were ahead and you did not disappoint:).
    I do have a long rant but I need to put my thoughts together about what happened and all the questions this chapter raised:sick: