Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Loved your pov =)

What about Samantha? What would you guess about her or about their relationship from what you saw until now?

Isobel likes this.
  2. novelenthusiast1717

novelenthusiast1717 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I think Ryan is a romantic. You can’t see it now because obviously due to the circumstances. However, the way he has acted and treated belle shows it. I mean correct me if I’m wrong but it seems that he is a very devoted partner to his significant other when he has fallen for that person. Yes, he can be a brute but you can tell he has a very good and soft heart when his 100% committed and to his loves one.

As per Samantha, there was a comment that Magda said while in the car with belle that made it seem as if Samantha was no good for him (Ryan being devoted also is in reference to magdas comment); again correct me if I’m wrong. I’m honestly getting some weird vibes from Samantha. I mean Magdas the only one who has commented about her, not even Marie in the picture frame scene ( and that’s that Marie would mention something every time belle seemed curious about something). Either way ryan has all the right feels for belle, he is just denying them.

Please let me know if I’m understanding lol.

on a side note, you truly have a great storyline. I’m was hooked from the beginning. You literally have me on the end of my seat anticipating every new chapter! I’m constantly checking to see when you upload a new chapter. Low key, kinda obsessed lol! Keep it up, your doing great!

Isobel and GiBro like this.
  3. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ty for your feedback! =D I'm so happy that you are enjoying it...=)

I can't confirm or deny it, 'cause I'd spoil it, but I'm glad you noticed those details.

About refreshing, I usually edit the first post informing the date of the next chapter as soon as I finish revising it, so you don't have the work to check it constantly.

I'm posting every other day. I like to read the chapter again and again before posting it, but I need to give a pause between one check and the other to be able to see new flaws.

beewink and Isobel like this.
  4. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Magda sort of defined Samantha as "crazy broken bitch" and Ryan mentioned that she played a big role in overcoming the hallucination, so I suppose their relationship was "him&I" (referring to a song) type of relationship? :blobpats::blobpats: anyways I would say Ryan is not a playboyish type who would say sweet nothings and act all gentleman-y, but rather the type who is realistic and selfless. He could've set everything aside and decided to make further progress in their relationship, but he is still in denial and that is mostly coming from his caring nature I believe? That brute exterior is obviously because of the his work and also past traumas. I think honest partner who could make him feel comfortable talking would do him good:hmm:.
    As for Samantha, I cant quite put my finger on about what kind of person she could've been. crazy broken bitch is what an expert referred her to. so I guess she also had her baggages.

5. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg, I loved the reference! :giggle: but nah, "him&I" is far from it :whistle: at least from the POV of Halsey and g-eazy, maybe someone outside the actual relationship might conclude it's something like that.

Ah, thank you all for your answers, I'll post the next chapter tonight or tomorrow at night(I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna add more details or not). But expect to know more about their past on this next chapter. I just wanted to know your thoughts before it.:love::p

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    novelenthusiast1717, Isobel and saye like this.
  6. beewink

beewink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am definitely agree with everyone on certain aspects of Ryan. I really get the vibe that his rough brute personality is somewhat his true nature but i also see it as somewhat of a mask. He in many ways seems like he hides behind that persona. I can definitely sense a morally grey vibe from him. He definitely has a romantic side but in a rough overly sexual way if that makes sense. His trama definitely plays a MAJOR role in his overall mannerisms. Random but fairly accurate assessment is he has many layers and i feel like his growing relationship and feelings toward bell are slowly peeling back those layers.

As for Samantha, i am getting some weird vibes about her can't quite put my finger on what it is but i sense a major twist in regard to her. . .

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    saye and GiBro like this.
  7. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 24

-I'm sorry. -He whispered, after observing her and understanding his word’s impact on her mood. -I shouldn't be talking about negative subjects. I'll shut up now.

-No, it's ok. I just don't like wars… Or killing… Or making people suffer in general.

He smiled kindly and nodded.

-What do you like? -He straightened his back and turned his body in her direction. -What do you think you couldn't live without or that you wish you had in your life to make it perfect?

-Ha, is it a BuzzFeed's quiz or what? -She laughed, caught off guard. -Well, I'm not too picky… At least I like to think I'm not.

-Amuse me. -He crossed his arms.

-I like getting warm but I don't like sweating…

-Ok, that's a weird start... What do you mean?

-I like the feeling of covering myself with a blanket, for example. Even when the weather isn't cold. Or when you hug me or touch me. Your hands and chest are always warm, it's good. -She looked away as his smile withered in a grimace of discomfort. -I like taking a hot shower. And I found out I like being in a bathtub too. I had never been inside one before. My father didn't like it, he said it was just a waste of time and that time was money, so we never had one.

-Your parents lacked creativity, then. It totally isn't a waste of time if you use it with someone... -He said and blushed right after realizing he shouldn't have said it to her. She pretended she didn't understand it, but her red ears gave her away. He cleared his throat and looked up. -Ok, so you like to get warm without getting too much heat… That tells me more about what you don't like than what you like.

-I like dogs... I never had one, but Chloe has a Golden and he's amazing! I like cats too, and bunnies… I think I like all mammals. -She stopped to think about it. -Maybe I like all animals. I think I just don't like arthropods and snakes… I don't really care for the snakes as long as they don't bite me.

-Not too original. -He mocked. -What else?

-Won't you want to know why I don't have a cat or dog? -She tilted her head.

-Because your parents were jerks who didn't make time to grant you a normal life. There’s no excuse for that. Even I would bend over backwards to make… -He paused and shook his head as if he had caught himself as he was just about to say something stupid. -...My daughter happy. And I certainly would have a better reason to not have enough time to do so.

Belle frowned, trying to find a way to defend her parents.

-To tell you the truth I realized your childhood gets me stressed out. -He looked into her eyes, snorting. -I feel like going back in time and smashing your father’s head against the floor over and over until he starts acting like a father.

Her jaw dropped. He clicked his tongue and apologized.

-It's ok… Well…. Actually, they got me a cat. But I had bad allergies because of the fur and almost died. -She said in a low voice. -They even thought it was asthma… They took me to a lot of doctors, and probably spent a lot of money until they got the diagnosis. They had to give away the cat to my father's friend.

-Ah… -He murmured. -Do you still have it? The allergies?

-No. I sneeze a bit depending on the amount of fur that gets into my nose, but I don't stop breathing. But it's bad for my voice… To be sick all the time I mean… So between singing and having a pet, I chose visiting Chloe when I needed to pet a dog.

He watched her as she smiled broadly, then her smile faded and he knew exactly the reason.

-Ok, warmth, pets. What else would make Isabelle’s life better? -He urged her to keep talking so she couldn't think about Chloe.

-Food. I like cooking. -She nodded. -And learning new things. I like reading too, and listening to music, and… -She stopped.

-And singing? -He tried to guess.

-Yes, that too. -She blushed.

-What? What were you gonna say? -He frowned.

-I would normally say I liked to be with my friends. -She murmured. -But it wasn't what I thought about first.

-What was it? -He seemed genuinely curious.

-I was gonna say I like being with you. -She blushed and looked down.

He fell silent for a few seconds, then sighed.

-What else? What don't you have today but you'd like to have? -He tried to keep her talking.

-I'm ok with what I have.

-No way! Don't you want a nice car, or a swimming pool, or to travel? I mean, there must be something that you'd be happier if you had it.

She blinked and shook her head.

-Don't you want to do something that you have never done before? -He insisted.

-I wanted to go to Disney. And Universal too. -She smiled. -But it's ok if I don't go.

-Those assholes never took you to Disney when you were a kid? They were millionaires! -He was outraged. -Why didn't they?

-They never took me too far from home. My father once told me it would be dangerous to take me on a long trip… -She murmured. -My mother said that one day he would change his mind and stop being paranoid, that I just had to be patient. He even promised that when I turned sixteen he would send me with all my best friends and bodyguards to stay for a week or two. But then they died and...

She gulped and shook her head.

-Why was it dangerous? -He squinted his eyes.

-I don't know. -She shrugged.

-Didn't you ask him?

-I did, he said someone could hurt me just to hurt him. -She shrugged again.

-And didn't you insist on knowing why someone would want to hurt him? -He frowned.

-Because of the money… Why else could it be?

Desmond didn't answer, but he had a dissatisfied look on his face.

-Anyway, what else do you want?

-I think I said a lot already, why don't you tell me about what you like and what you want? -She smiled.

-No, there must be something else. Spit it out, think about things that would make you happy.

-I'd like to go to Japan.

He grimaced.

-With you it's either feast or famine, right? -He chuckled. -Try to give me something to work with. Something possible for me to get for you.

-You don't need to give me anything! You already did a lot for me...

-Still, if I wanted to, what could I give you to make you feel happy? -He smiled and furrowed his brow.

-You could let me cook. -She shrugged. -I feel better when I cook.

-Hm… I think it's ok as long as I stay with you while you do it.

-Why? -She sounded offended. -I know how to cook, I'm not gonna burn your house down or something.

-Because there's a bunch of things there that you could use to hurt yourself. What if you hallucinate with a knife in your hand, for example? -He lifted one eyebrow.

She hadn't thought about that.

-Ah… You're right. Maybe after I get better.

-No, I can supervise you at night after work, it's alright. -He assured her.

-I don't want it. -She shook her head. -I don't wanna risk hurting you.

They fell silent.

-I'd like to walk a bit. -She tried. -Now that my ankle is better, I'd like to walk. I think that would make me feel better. And I could help you with something you might be needing.

-Like what? Do the dishes? -He asked, then smirked when she grimaced. -Marrie and the girls take care of the house, you literally don't have to do anything.

-I could do the dishes. -She shrugged.

-You clearly don't like to. -He rolled his eyes. -Besides, I like to do the dishes… It soothes me. It's almost therapeutic.

-Really? -She made a face. -I hate it. But I'd do it if it would help you.

-No. Leave my dishes alone. -He chuckled. -Do you want some water? Are you hungry?

-Yes, about the water. No, I'm not hungry. But you may eat, I'm just sick of my stomach.

He nodded and got up, heading to the kitchen. She watched his back for a few seconds, then got up and followed him.

-What now? Are you gonna follow me around like a puppy? -He mocked her as he gave way for her to enter the kitchen. -Ladies first.

She rolled her eyes and got in.

-I just don't want to be alone. -It wasn't entirely true. She was just curious to see what his kitchen looked like.

When they got into the kitchen, her jaw immediately dropped and she looked around, savoring every detail.

-What are you doing? -He made a face when she stopped in front of him to run her fingers through the golden and grey veins of the white marble island’s countertop and he had to change direction to avoid bumping into her.

She didn't pay any attention to his grumbles and turned around, checking the dark wood cabinets and the smartly and elegantly designed kitchen’s elements. She let out a gasp and a laugh.

-Tell me you're not hallucinating again... -He poured a glass of water for himself and another for her, examining her with worried eyes. -Tomorrow I'll have to work at the precinct, I really don't want to spend the whole night awake.

-I don't think I'm hallucinating. I just wasn't expecting this… -She lost all shyness and started to scrutinize the details, with her hands behind her back to fight the urge to open drawers and cabinets to look inside.

-What do you mean? -He asked as he poured himself a second glass of water. -Aren't you thirsty?

-Well, you said she didn't like to cook. I never would have guessed she would strive so much to decorate the kitchen. -She examined the knife block, trying to identify each type of knife as she had never seen so many in one kitchen. -It's simply marvelous!

Desmond stepped behind her and grabbed her by the shoulders, blatantly dragging her away from the knives.

-I'll pass the compliments on for my mother. -He laughed near her ear and pushed her toward the island. -Aren't you thirsty?

-Did your mother decorate your kitchen? -She frowned, confused. -Why?

He pulled her hand up and forced her to hold the filled glass, pulling a stool for her to sit in. She tried to sit while admiring the pendant lights above the island. Desmond predicted that she would spill the water and took the glass from her hand, steadying the stool with his leg to prevent her from tipping it.

-Pay attention to what you're doing. -He scolded her. -She designed the whole house.

She looked back to the stool and sat, having to get on the tip of her toes and pull herself up with her hands, as she was too short. He laughed as he realized her difficulty wasn't just caused by the distraction. He offered her the glass back as she settled herself.

-Thank you. -She smiled at him and started to sip it. -She's very talented…

-She spent a little more time designing this room… She wanted to pull Samantha's leg while making sure I wouldn't have to intervene and not pushing so hard enough to break us up. -He shrugged. -Sometimes I wish she had cared a little less for the damage she would cause…

His eyes were distant as he smoothed the surface of the marble with his fingers. He smirked and looked into Belle's eyes.

-Samantha's only suggestion was that all the countertops would be dark colored. There's not one piece of dark marble in this entire house. -He chuckled with a mischievous smile.

Belle stared at him, trying to understand why he thought it was amusing.

-So… Didn't your fiancée and your mother get along?

Desmond only shook his head and opened the French door fridge, checking its content briefly before starting to take out some vegetables and a pack of mushrooms.

Belle almost fell off the stool trying to peer inside before he closed the doors.

-Not getting along is a hell of an euphemism. -He shook his head as he walked toward the sink. -I don't know how I didn't give up when the wedding planning started. They snapped at each other like rabid bitches. And even though I tried to play dead during most of the fights it almost always ended fucking me up.

Belle watched his back as he turned to wash the vegetables and clean the mushrooms with paper towels.

-Why didn't they like each other?

He handed her a vegetable peeler and two bowls, one empty and one containing four thin carrots, two potatoes and one beet.

-Because… Peel those for me, please. Don't hurt yourself. -He winked and put down a cutting board over the counter. -Because my mother hated her.

-Why? -Belle insisted, starting to peel the carrots.

-Throw the peels inside that same bowl, I'll use them for the broth. -He instructed, smashing four garlic cloves and setting the peel aside, cutting only the tip of them. -Because she didn't like her… Energy. I'm pretty good at reading people, I told you before. But with Samantha, I was kind of blind. My mother wasn't.

She frowned, getting extremely confused. They sank into silence and she opened her mouth, but he was quicker.

-Do you know what we're cooking already? -He asked her, raising one eyebrow.

-Carrot and beet soup with ginger? -She guessed. -Do you want me to stop inquiring about it?

-Aren't you the smartass? -He mocked her. -I don't mind… I just think there's much more interesting subjects to talk about.

How so? She wanted to ask him. You can’t just drop a bomb and then pretend nothing happened!

-I'm just curious, I didn't mean to pry or make you feel uncomfortable… -She arranged the peeled vegetables in the bowl, checking if she missed some peel.

-There's not much more to it. -He shrugged and wiped his eye on his sleeve, as he deftly finished cutting the onion in very small pieces. -When she found out Samantha was pregnant, the bickering immediately stopped. I was so glad to have a bit of peace, at least from one side that I never even talked about it with her, even after Samantha's death.

Belle looked down, thinking about how painful it must have been, losing the woman he loved and his baby at the same time.

-Do you want me to peel it for you? -She pointed to the piece of ginger.

-Never use a peeler to peel ginger. You might hurt yourself, you'll lose a lot of ginger and you might turn the blade dull. -He shook his head. -Instead, use the back of the knife, like this.

He showed her.

-I usually use a spoon. -She turned her head sideways.

-it's actually a clever option. -He nodded. -What's in your mind, Belle?

-What do you mean? -She froze as she was just admiring his handsomeness and how it fit perfectly with the dream kitchen. She blushed violently.

-You looked very sad for a moment. What's bothering you?

-Ah… Nothing, I was just trying to understand what you said.

He paused as he was slicing the mushrooms and looked into her eyes. He had already chopped all the vegetables, throwing the scraps inside the bowl he would use for the broth. She envied him for being so much faster and more skillful than herself in something she always thought she was good at.

-What is there not to understand? -His eyebrows creased.

-You seem to miss the fights. -She shrugged, trying to avoid talking about his fiancée’s and his son’s death.

-I totally don't. -He shook his head and filled up a large pot with filtered water, turning on the cooker for it to boil. -I'm not the type to hold a grudge. If I don't like someone, I simply shut them up or make it clear that I'll make their lives miserable if they don't walk away. I don't like to drop hints, or the bickering and the under-the-breath talking… If I feel like saying something, I say it.

Belle stared at him. He put half an onion, the peels and trimmings inside the pot as the water started to boil, then added some herbs, salt and pepper.

-I sometimes just wish I had been smarter and followed my mother's advices. -He shrugged as he put another pot to heat and poured olive oil in it. -She would've been alive today and I would be much less miserable.

He added the onions, salt pepper and stirred, without looking at her. She sniffed and smiled at the tasty smell.

-Do you want me to do that for you? -She offered.

-Sure. -He stepped and held out a hand to help her come down.

She blushed at his chivalry and used her good feet to support her weight while accepting his help. He pretended not to notice it and started gathering the dishes from the mise en place and washing it.

She hadn't realized how much she missed cooking. She stirred the onions until they were soft enough and added the garlic cloves, the potatoes and carrots without him instructing her to do so. He observed her, leaning against the counter, for a while. She looked around as if looking for something.

-What do you need? -He asked her with one side of his mouth lifted.

-Where are the spices? -She looked at his face and her heart skipped a beat. God! Why do you have to be so sexy?

-Check that drawer. -He pointed, stirring the pot and tasting the broth.

She did as he told her and giggled as a child. Four tiers of spice jars lined up inside it. They were all slightly inclined, allowing her to see and read it's contents. She opened and smelled some of them.

-I simply love your mother! -She sighed, checking the jars and taking some out of the drawer. -When I start to earn my own money I'll save it so one day she can design a kitchen for me!

-She won't. She retired. -He sighed, fetching some garlic clovers and smashing them before throwing them inside the pot. -But you can hire an architect from her firm.

She pouted and he laughed. She stirred the vegetables again, tasting a piece of each and added the beet and batted her eyelashes at him.

-Hm… In that part I'd add some wine… - She murmured.

-You're underaged, no alcohol for you. -He smirked. -Besides, there's no point in adding it, the taste would be overwhelmed by the ginger and the herbs. I won't waste wine in a soup.

He shrugged. She blushed at the lecture.

-How do you buy wine, anyway? -He frowned, putting the bowl they used to put the vegetables inside the sink and placing a sieve over it. -Careful.

He pulled her back to get the pot and turn off the fire, then poured the broth through the sieve and pressed the contents. She grimaced and put a hand to his arm to stop him from doing that, afraid he would burn his hand. But he didn't flinch.

-What? -He looked from her hand in his forearm to her startled face.

-I… I was afraid you'd hurt yourself. -She blushed, taking her hand off his arm and taking the silicon spoon back to stir the vegetables. -I'm sorry.

-My skin isn't as fragile as yours, don't worry. -He smirked. -Here, give me some space, please.

He poured half of the broth inside the pot. She sniffed and smiled.

-I never made a broth so fast… -She observed him with a curious expression. -Isn't it bad for our health? To use the peel, I mean, because of the pesticides and all…

-No, they are organic. -He shook his head, stirring the soup and reduced the fire, adding a bit more of the broth. -Long story… It's a friend of my father, he has a farm. In short, every week I spent three times what I'd spend at the market, but at least my father thinks I won't die from cancer.

-You know he's right, don't you? Pesticides are really bad for your health.

-So is the air I breathe everyday. I won't stop breathing because of pollution. -He shrugged.

-Still, if you can avoid it, you should…

-Ok, I already have a crazy person taking care of my health without me asking him to, I don't need another one. -He glared at her, irritated. -I don't smoke, I don't drink too much, I don't do anything that might really damage my body. I think I can afford to put some poison in my stomach now and then.

She looked around the kitchen, embarrassed by his reaction. She wondered how it was like to live with him as his wife. It seemed like his routine was totally unpredictable and he certainly could be difficult sometimes, but still, his house was so cozy and he was so resourceful and... Stop dreaming! What's the point of fantasizing, exactly as he told you not to?

-What are you thinking? -He demanded, pulling a stool and sitting, then picking up his phone to set a timer and check the messages.

-Nothing. -She shrugged.

-There's no such thing as thinking about nothing… -He raised his eyes and checked on her as she tried to climb up a stool. He smiled and pulled the stool closer with his foot, offering his arm to help her. -Answer me or tell me who used to buy wine, illegally, for you.

She flinched, as she thought he had forgotten about it.

-Trevor… He’s twenty four. -She murmured. Then she remembered something and her eyes widened. -Oh, I almost forgot, I have to tell you something!

-Wait, is Trevor older than you? -He frowned. -Isn't he from your school?

-No, he finished it when he was seventeen. -Belle shook her head. -But listen, I need…

-How the fuck did I miss it? His file… - He closed his eyes and she could see his eyes moving sideways under the eyelids. He shook his head. -Are you sure he didn't just use a fake ID? You're not trying to cover up your own fake ID by telling me this, are you?

-No, I never had one, and I would never use one! -She frowned. -I studied with him before my aunt took me out of school. Daniel introduced me to him when I was twelve, he was in his last year. Why?

-Fuck, how? -His face was red with anger. -Wait here.

He got up and left her alone. She watched him as he left the kitchen, confused.

-Stay exactly where I left you! -He shouted from afar. -Don't do anything that might hurt you. Did you hear me?

-Yes, sir! -She pressed her lips, but relaxed them when she felt the sting of her wounds. She wondered what he was doing now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    imeren, Isobel and beewink like this.
  8. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This gave me a lot to think about. I was actually thinking about writing a side story as in UOT's Gaiden with Riftan's POV. (In this case, with Ryan's POV)

But although I have a lot of it in my mind already, I don't want to spend time writing it now, 'cause I'm almost catching up with what I already wrote.

saye, Isobel and beewink like this.
  9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 25

She looked around, still noticing details that she loved in the design. Just like the kitchen, the more she found out about him, the more she liked him. His mother had a talent for producing perfection.

Her mood was wittering with his absence and she started to think about what he said. His voice was fresh in her mind, clear and fixed like a tattoo: Don't let your mind fantasize over this situation. We won't ever be together as a couple.

She sighed and swung her legs, like a child. Maybe it was for the best. He certainly deserved someone that could match his perfection. She looked down to her ridiculous shortness and laughed. Certainly someone taller.

She carefully got down from the stool and approached the cooker to check on the soup. It smelled so good, her stomach growled.

-I thought I told you to stay seated. -He rebuked, striding toward her and leading her back to the island. -Your friend committed a crime. He tampered with his school records. Why is he spending time with you and your friends if he's that old? And how haven't you thought this was suspect?

-He was Daniel's friend. Besides, he was always allowed to get in and out of the school grounds, but he just appeared when there was an event, like a party or game. I thought he was a nice person. -She looked down. -Despite the cigarettes and the arrogance, he never gave me any reason not to like him.

-He could be a pedophile. You shouldn't allow someone that old to be around you that way. -He frowned, sitting back on the stool. She stared at him, expecting him to see the flaw in his arguments. He didn't.

-Anyway, there's something I need to tell you about him. -She tried again.

-What is it? Wait a minute. -He didn't look up, as he was texting.

The alarm on his phone rang and he got up and took the soup out of the cooker, placed it on a wooden trivet and grabbed a hand mixer from a drawer.

He blended the soup until it was smooth and creamy, then tasted it and smiled. He washed the spoon and took a bit of the soup, blowing on it before offering it to her. She opened her mouth, but he offered her the spoon for her to take it.

-It's delicious. -She appraised him.

-Yes it is. -He nodded. He then put a pan to heat and tossed a spoon of butter in it, putting the mushrooms to fry. He grabbed two soup plates and two spoons.

-Let me set the table. -She promptly offered herself.

He sighed and handed her the plates and spoons, but followed her with the excuse of taking their glasses to the table too.

-Sit down, I'll bring the soup. -He commanded her.

-I need to go to the toilet… I was gonna go anyway to wash my hands. -She headed to the stairs.

-Stop right there. -He snapped, then pointed. -That door. You're not climbing stairs up or down on your own, you hear me?

She nodded and followed his instructions, giving him one last glance before opening the door. His face relaxed a bit and he went back to the kitchen, shaking his head.

-Unbelievable… -She heard him grunting in a whisper.

The bathroom was the one he used to bathe. It was smaller than the one with a bathtub, but it was cozy. As he had told her, the marble too was very light colored. It had a greenish tone, that fit the rest of the elements.

She sat on the toilet and examined his things on the marble shelf. As she washed her hands she had to fight the urge to open each one of the bottles and smell them. She took a last look around before opening the door and leaving.

-Do you want some bread? It's from this morning, I can warm it in the oven, I totally forgot. -He asked her.

-No, thank you, the soup will be enough. -She sniffed. -It smells marvelous!

-Sit down. -He smirked. -I got a call, they'll probably need me in a couple of hours. I asked Magda to come and take care of you. If she doesn't make it in time, I'll have an Uber bring Marrie.

Her heart pounded. She felt her face go red.

-Relax. You knew this could happen, I told you I'd be on call. -He shrugged. -Get used to it, I don't have free time.

She felt sorry for him. But he didn't seem to care, he just served the soup, first for her and then for himself. He pointed to the bottle of orange juice and for the jar of water, as if asking her which one she would prefer. She chose the water, as she didn't want to force her stomach so much.

-How are you feeling, Belle? -He asked her as he sat down.

-I'm feeling like you are avoiding me. -She sighed.

-What do you mean? I have to work, it's not like I wanted to leave you alone. -He frowned and sipped his soup. It was a delicate act and Belle couldn't help but smile.

-It's not about the work… I've been trying to tell you about Trevor, but you won't listen to me.

-I don't want you to be unhappy. You get worse when you feel pain or get anxious. -He shrugged. -You probably didn't notice it, but it causes a stark difference. It's as if someone turns off your light. I can afford to wait till you're fully recovered.

Belle sighed, trying to decide what to do. She gathered the courage and tried to say it as fast as she could.

-That night, at the school, it wasn't Daniel.

-What? -He almost dropped his spoon. -What do you mean?

-The car’s honk. It was Trevor’s car. And the pattern… I know it was Trevor. -She continued, feeling glad that he hadn't shut her up. -He was the one who came to get Chloe and there's a good chance that Daniel wasn't with him.

-No, first of all, how do you know it was his car? Sounded like a normal honk to me. -He frowned. -And the rhythm is quite normal too, it's “Shave and a Haircut, two bits”. You should know that, since you love music so much…

-No, it's his rhythm… I don't know how to explain it to you, but his pause is always the same. And about the honk, I'm sure it's from his car. -She shook her head, trying to think of a way of explaining it to him. -I… I have a gift.

He stared at her, then picked up his spoon and resumed his meal.

-I truly have it… It's called absolute pitch. I can identify and recreate almost any sound or note I hear. -She looked down to avoid his judgemental face. -And because of my anxiety I developed this thing… I hardly forget something I hear, cause I store them as spectrums inside my head.

-Spectrums? -He frowned.

-Sound spectrum… I can… See the sound waves, its length, its frequency, the vibration… And then I can reproduce them with my voice or an instrument. - She explained.

-Right… It’s like my eidetic memory, but with sound. -He nodded. -Show me.

She grabbed her spoon and hit the glass, lightly.

-It works better with crystal, but that's an A minor. -She drank a bit, checking the amount of water. She sipped just a bit more and put it down. -Now that will probably be an E-Sharp.

She hit it again with the spoon and grinned, proud of herself.

-You know this made sense only for you, right? -He frowned.

-Oh. -She put her spoon back into the soup. She sighed and resumed eating, with a sad face.

-It's ok, I believe in you. -He nodded. -Still, it could be Daniel, using his car.

-No… I can't explain it to you… When you play, you have to follow the pauses, as much as the notes. When you do it a lot of times, your muscles memorize it. Trevor always knocks on doors, taps on tables and honks with that same rhythm. It's like when you get inside your house and turn off the alarm… You probably always do it with the same… That's it!

He lifted his head, startled with her sudden movement to get to her feet.

-I know your password! -She declared.

-No you don't. -He shook his head with a frown. -I know you weren't looking, I remember I didn't even have to ask you, you looked away. Besides, it's too many numbers for you to memorize it with only one time...

-Only nine numbers. And by the three first digits I can guess it's your SSN, you really shouldn't use those kinds of information as passwords. -She reprimanded him.

His face turned pale and he jumped to his feet.

-What the fuck, Isabelle? -His face was red.

-I told you I knew it… Why are you mad? -She backed away and almost tipped her chair. -I didn't do it on purpose, I was very tired, I didn't think about warning you. You really should turn off the sound.

He glared at her. Then strode toward her and grabbed her arm, dragging her toward the door. He practically shoved her against the panel.

-Show me. -He told her. -Activate the alarm.

She trembled.

-I was very tired, I might have heard some of it wrong… -She backed away, but he put a hand on her waist and pushed her back toward the panel.

-I'm not asking. -His eyes were cold.

She gulped and pressed the buttons without pause, even though her fingers trembled. There was a beep and a message appeared: “Access Denied”. She frowned.

Desmond let out a sigh of relief and started to close the panel.

-Ah, wait, I misheard the note. It's a six, not a four. -She nodded and leaned forward to press the numbers again. There was a different beep and other beeps followed, signaling a countdown to activate the alarm.

-Holly crap! -He pulled her aside and unarmed it before it could be activated. -Fuck, how is it even possible?

-I told you. -She put the sleeve back on her shoulder.

-Can you do that with anything? -His face was terrified.

-If it has different sounds for each number, yes. This one is easier, because it follows the C scale... -She nodded. -But I can pretty much identify any sound and reproduce it.

He stared at her with an astonished face. She couldn't tell if he was impressed or angry.

-Did Daniel ask you to do this for him? Do you remember doing this for him at a subway? -His eyebrows creased in a weird way. It seemed like he was in pain.

-Yes, probably. They'd ask me to do it all the time. They used me as a circus attraction sometimes, when we met someone… -She made a face, embarrassed. -Once, I kind of committed a crime… I didn't intend to, but it will haunt me forever.

-What? What crime? -He frowned.

-There was that fire drill every year, and that loud alarm rang when we had to evacuate the building. -Her cheeks were bright red before she even started. -Trevor found out he could use a normal microphone and access the speakers of the school. Daniel and Chloe thought it would be hilarious if I imitated the sound of the siren…

Desmond stared at her.

-You made everyone believe the school was on fire? -His brow furrowed. -What's wrong with you people?

-I didn't think they would believe it was real, I thought it would startle some people and then someone would say it wasn't real. -She looked down. -I wanted to turn myself in when I realized even the teachers were running out. Bill and Daniel stopped me from going after the director, saying that the damage has been done and that turning myself in wouldn't fix it, it would only harm me without bringing any benefits.

-I'm not sure if it's exactly a crime… -He put his hand to his chin. -But people could get hurt, really badly, you should have thought about it.

-I know, I didn't think it would sound exactly the same. I was really worried, especially when the firemen arrived… -She cringed as she remembered it. -I had just come back to school, I guess I kind of didn't want to disappoint my friends by saying no to them.

-Wait, the school called the fire department? Now that's a crime. -He nodded. -You're kind of stupid when it comes to your friends, you know?

She didn't know what to say, so she shut up and looked down.

-Do you think you could remember a tone that Daniel might've asked you to… Translate into numbers? -He asked her. -Do you think you'd know that you heard it before?

-Probably. -She nodded. -What are you thinking about?

-I'm gonna talk to Magda when she gets here and ask her if it's ok if I explain it to you. -He pulled the curtain aside with one finger and looked through the window. -It's getting dark, she should get here in an hour or so. Let's finish our meal.

He closed the lid and looked down, putting an arm around her shoulder to lead her back to the table.

They sat and ate in silence. He was lost in some troubling thoughts, with his eyebrows slightly creased. Belle wanted to press him to tell her what it was, since the mystery only made her feel more and more tense.

She was rehearsing many times in her mind, trying to find the right words to convince him, when his phone rang. He checked the number and sighed.

-Desmond, counter-terrorism. -He answered with a firm voice. She felt shivers at his strong tone.

He was silent for a moment, eyeing her.

-No, she's here, with me. -He frowned, getting up. -Of course I'm sure, I'm looking at her right now.

He squinted, then opened his eyes wide.

-I'll get my things and meet you there. Don't let the forensics mess up the scene, I wanna take a look at it first. -He immediately rushed upstairs. -No, I don't care how you do it, keep them away and make sure she…

His voice disappeared as he closed the door of his bedroom. Belle instinctively got to her feet and tried to follow him, but he was faster.

She looked at the stairs, dying to climb them up, but unable to disobey his orders not to do it on her own. She wanted to know what was happening, but didn't want to get him angry or disappointed with her. She sat on the step and crossed her arms, leaning on her knees.

-I'll have to go. -He strode downstairs, putting his jacket on. It was the first time she saw him wearing it, and she felt intimidated. It was dark blue and the yellow letters read “FBI JTTF” on his biceps and on the back. -What are you doing?

He stopped inches from her, as he was trying to get up, and bent to take her in his arms. He did it so fast and as if she didn't weigh more than a grocery bag, that she felt offended.

-Don't get in my way now, Belle, I'm in a hurry. -He muttered.

He practically threw her on the sofa and bent to touch his necklace on the table beside it. Belle frowned as she heard a beep and a drawer popped out.

He pulled out a gun, checked that it was cocked and locked it, then put it in a holster almost behind his back, half-inside his pants. He winked at her when he realized she was observing him with curious eyes.

-Just to be safe. -He smirked.

She noticed his gun, which he always carried with him everywhere they went, was already on its holster, concealed by the jacket, near his belly, on the other side.

-Here's something you can help me with. After you're finished eating, take the dishes and put them in the sink. -He checked his phone and nodded. -Just fill it up with water. Tomorrow, when I get home, I'll wash them up.

-Tomorrow? -She jumped to her feet, feeling the panic rising. -What happened? Are you gonna be in danger?

-I'm always in danger. That's what I do for a living. -He frowned. Then he saw her horrified face and chuckled. -I'm just kidding, relax, it's just a criminal fire, I'll just check the crime scene and interrogate a victim if she's in condition of answering questions.

Belle was still nervous about him leaving her alone.

-A friend will come pick me up and I'll get another car at the precinct to come home, just in case they marked my car that night. -He crouched before her, forcing her to sit as he did so. -I called Magda, she's on her way. If she doesn't manage to get here before I leave, I already asked Marrie to be ready to come.

Belle just nodded. She was very embarrassed that he had to do all this in order to make sure she wouldn't hurt herself in case she had another hallucination.

-I'm sorry. -She shook her head and looked down.

-For what? -He brushed her hair out of her face and lifted her chin up. -You're doing great, Belle. Besides the hallucination shit, I think you’ve improved a lot in a short period of time.

She felt worried for him and for herself, so her chest got very tight.

-There's something I forgot to tell you about Chloe. -She murmured, as he took his hand from her chin and started to get up.

He immediately looked down at her, surprised.

-What about her? -He sounded startled as if he had been caught while doing something wrong.

-There's something she told me that night, at the building… I forgot to tell you. -She creased her eyebrows. She recited her friend’s words carefully so he could interpret them as he could.

He didn't seem surprised, he just nodded and ran his fingers through her hair. It was a different touch, more like a distracted movement than something he would do to soothe her.

-Try not to think too much about it, Belle. -He sighed, clearly worried. -Thank you for telling me, but focus on your recovery. That's the most important thing right now. I'll get them, let me deal with this alone, for now.

His eyes were sad. She felt like he was hiding something from her and the paranoia started to take over her thoughts. She suppressed it urgently. She smiled at him and tried to swallow up the tears that were trying to come out.

-What's wrong? -He was checking his phone and texting when he raised his eyes and saw hers watering.

-Nothing. -She shook her head and wiped her tears in her sleeves. -Promise me you'll come back, please?

Desmond's eyes fixed in hers. His expression melted in a tender smile. It wasn't romantic in any sense, it looked like he had just seen a puppy or a baby do something cute. He sat beside her and kissed her forehead, enlacing her nape with his arm.

-It'll be alright, Belle. -He kept his chin pressed on her forehead. -You're safe, don't worry.

She didn't miss the fact that he didn't promise her he would come back to her, alive.

-Please… -She hugged him and grabbed at his jacket. -Please, don't go if you might not come back.

He took her hands off and pushed her away.

-There's no reason for drama. I could lie to you and make an empty promise. -He got up and straightened his clothes. -I won't. I already told you, you have nothing to worry about. If I die, the chief will know what to do. She knows how much you mean to me, she will make sure you'll be safe.

His words stung deep and she was stuck in the part of the phrase “if I die”. How can you say it so nonchalantly? She was speechless.

-You're not a child. You don't really need me. -He grabbed his phone and grimaced. -Magda is arriving, and so is my friend. I might have to leave you all alone for a few minutes. Please, don't freak out.

He turned toward the door, giving his back to her. She just stared at him as he pulled the curtain to the side and checked the window. A few moments later she heard the noise of his garage’s gate opening, then closing. She watched him as he put his keys back in his pocket.

Desmond exhaled hard and went out through the door that led to the garage, without ever looking back at her. Belle's heart sank as she sat there, alone.

imeren, saye, Isobel and 1 other person like this.
  10. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers,

So... My husband has been encouraging me (actually pushing me) to publish this book on Amazon...

I think I'll have material for two (maaaybe three) books with the storyline I have planned so far and a side story with Ryan's POV, but I keep adding new things. For now this first book has a bit more than 350 pages (303 of it have already been published here -Yes, you've read 303 pages of a normal sized paperback book in a few days =P).

Here's why I'm posting this:
    1-I wanna know what you guys think about this idea.

2-I too want to ask you where you guys live (country / state). Why? Because if I do publish it, I'm planning on doing it in Portuguese and English, but I have no idea about how the reception would be, and in which countries.

3-If someone told you about this book, would you buy it? If yes, for how much?*
    *I was considering US$ 4.19 for the e-book and US$ 15.45 for the printed version. (I have no idea if that's expensive to you, but I made the maths and that would be the minimum I would have to price it to be able to get US$ 2 per copy... capitalism sucks xD) is it too expensive?

4-Don't worry, even if I decide to publish it I'll post it till the end, for you, for free ;)

arinzone, imeren, saye and 1 other person like this.
  11. beewink

Reading List:
    Link

This is a phenomenal idea!! Your husband is absolutely right, you should definitely take the opportunity and do it! I would totally pay to read this! I've already told several friends about it and have recommended it to them.
    I live in the US. Typically when i do my Amazon/Kindle ebooks those run between 3.99 - 6.99 per book depending on whether or not it's a major publication.
    As i have said before you have some very special potential here!! Don't miss the opportunity to share that with the world! Plus being published is an amazing feat, you should be incredibly proud of yourself for even writing this in the first place and publishing would be a huge bonus

12. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the idea is really great. since Im already hooked on the storyline I would definitely buy it. ( I live in germany btw.) I'm sure it'll be a book I'll keep coming back to.:LOL: I think generally the plot is something so many people would be interested in and also your writing style and character building (Im not sure if its a word:unsure:) would easily draw in attention :D:D so take the shot author :blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

13. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed the last 2 chapters since they somehow give off a rather warm leisure-y vibe overally, like them talking and cooking I hope we make a good use of her unexpected "perfect pitch"-ness

14. novelenthusiast1717

novelenthusiast1717 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! This is an amazing idea! I would definitely buy this book even if I had read it over and over again. As i have mentioned before, your storyline is great! I am from the US. I purchase printed books and they are usually around that price range. I have also recommended and mentioned your stories to other and everyone has said how they wished it was a published book. I most definitely agree with everyone’s comments. Go for it!

imeren, Isobel, saye and 2 others like this.
  15. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! :love: I'm getting more confident with the idea, gonna find a way to revise the book (it must be full of mistakes, since English isn't my mother language =/) and work on a nice cover (I already have some ideas).

Dear readers, I have bad news -.-
    I finally got vaccinated for Cov-19 (yes, here in Brazil we are far behind you with that vaccine, it's my first dose=/) and it was AstraZeneca. This means I'm in bed again with 38°C(100.5°F).
    Nothing to worry about, I was expecting this (that's why I scheduled next chapter for tomorrow, not today) but I might delay next chapters because of this useless time I'm having=\

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Isobel, saye and beewink like this.
  16. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please hold your rage on the next chapter. :unsure:
    Breath in, breath out and wait...

beewink and saye like this.
  17. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    literally checking in constantly since yesterday :blobpats: but your health comes first author :blobsmilehappy:

GiBro and beewink like this.
  18. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 26

Belle waited patiently for what seemed like hours, with her back straight. She wanted to go after him and ask if she could go with him.

I'll stay in the car, and I'll stay quiet, I promise. She even considered begging him, but then realized this behavior would be totally improper. She began to wonder if that was some kind of symptom.

Then the door opened again and she got up, full of expectations. But obviously it wasn't Desmond. Instead, the gorgeous black woman came in, carrying a bag.

-I have to tell you… I don't know what kind of spell you used to wrap that boy around your finger, but I'd pay my weight in gold to have it. -She chuckled as she locked two of the three locks.

Belle blushed. She didn't really know what Magda could be talking about. He rejected her with the same intensity one would reject cancer.

-Poor girl… -The woman put the bag by the stairs and sat beside her. -I heard you've been having hallucinations. Wanna talk about it?

She had almost forgotten about Samantha's macabre apparition or Desmond's aggressive fake kiss. Belle looked down, but nodded.

-You shouldn't be ashamed. It's actually a good sign that you are already so advanced on symptoms. It might be a signal that you won't take that long to get clean. -Magda tried to cheer her up. -Ryan told me about your development and effort, about you trying to stay out of bed and eating normally. He said you've been experiencing too much nausea though, is it because of the withdrawal or because of something else?

-What do you mean? -Belle looked up.

-You know… Are you on those days? -Magda raised her eyebrows. -We can get painful cramps or nausea, especially when we endure too much stress or intense physical activity before…

She let the phrase drop.

-Oh, no, I don't have those problems… -Belle blushed. Then tried desperately to change the subject. -Look, Magda, I'd like to ask you a huge favor… There are some things I'm needing very much, but I don't have the courage to ask Desmond to buy for me…

-Ah, sure… And he probably will never think about asking you, ‘cause his only experience with those kinds of things was with Samantha, who, let me tell you, wasn't exactly a good example of an average woman… -Magda sighed. Seeing the confused but curious expression on the girl's face, she added. -It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Ryan never saw that woman without her makeup on. She certainly would never ask him to buy her tampons.

-How is it possible? -Belle's eyes went wide. Her experience with makeup had been only about trying to hide the horrible marks in her arm and even that took almost one hour to do. -Didn't they date for some time before getting engaged?

-Around two years, I think. -She looked up, trying to remember. -I don't know, I kind of avoided coming here since she moved in. But still, I never saw that woman without full makeup and high heels. Of course her work required her to always look her best, but still, in your own home you should feel comfortable enough to let your hair down...

-What did she work with?

-By the time I knew her? Apparently she was considering joining the actresses club. -She chuckled. -Sorry, don't tell Ryan I said this. No, really, she was supposedly a model. But her career ended sooner than expected. Not because of her death, I mean. She had some… Problems with her agent. And when Ryan tried to step up to… Help her, apparently the agent decided to bar her from ever getting another big contract.

Belle frowned. She remembered Samantha's picture. She could totally be a top model or actress, even though she couldn't remember seeing her anywhere before.

-But I might have said too much. Try not to mention you know about this to Ryan. He wouldn't like it. -She pressed her lips. -I'm not really sure why I ended up saying those things, it was a mistake. But now it's done, and there's nothing I can do to take it back. Let's talk about you. What do you need me to bring for you?

Belle listed a few things. Panties, deodorant, a brush, razor blades and coconut oil. Magda asked about brand’s preferences and other details.

-Razor blades? Are you sure? -Magda frowned. -Did you know it's bad for your skin?

-I always used it. I practically don't have body hair… It’s just because… -She pointed to her legs and Magda had to squint to understand what she was pointing at.

-Oh, you have a big problem there, I see…. -She mocked, pretending to be horrified. She laughed at the girl’s embarrassed face. -And what is the coconut oil for?

-Ah, just to substitute my perfume and body cream. -She shrugged. -I feel bad for not having it after showering.

-Are you trying to get more attractive to Ryan? -Magda's eyes were serious, although her tone was friendly.

Belle blushed violently and shook her head.

-I just don't feel comfortable being around people looking like this.

-Ok then, I'll try to bring it tomorrow or the day after. -The woman nodded, taking her phone to take notes of the list. -What about pads or tampons? Or do you use a cup? Ryan said you're not using any medicine, so…

-A cup? -Belle frowned.

-The silicon cup collector… The one that looks like a bell, that you wash and reuse. -Magda tried her best to explain. -But by the look on your face, that's not the case…

-Ah, no, that's right, I knew it with another name. -Belle lied, embarrassed. -Yes, yes, that's why I don't need anything, I already have one.

Magda's eyes scrutinized her face, like a hawk would do with a prey that was trying to hide behind a bush. Belle knew she knew something wasn't right. Still, she nodded.

-We’ve made carrot and beet soup with ginger and mushrooms. Would you like to have some? -Belle offered, trying to fill the silence.

-Sure, just a bit. -Magda smiled.

Belle reheated the soup while Magda went to the toilet, then brought a plate for her as she realized it would be dangerous to take a pot full of boiling soup all the way to the table with her ankle not fully recovered. She could see Desmond's eyes glaring at her, and hear him scolding her for considering doing something reckless.

-Wow, that's… That's very good! And I'm not used to enjoying vegetarian meals… -Magda appraised her, as she sat with her own refilled plate, after leaving Desmond's plate and spoon in the sink, with water in it.

-Desmond is a great cook. -Belle nodded and savored her soup. -If he can do this with soup… I can only imagine how Christmas or Thanksgiving must be like here.

-Sad and lonely, probably. -Magda chuckled. -As far as I know it's been a decade or so since the last time he spent holidays with his parents. Even I did it more often than him.

Belle frowned.

-May I ask why? -She murmured.

-Let me see… Army, war, war, fight, work, big fight, work, Samantha, no one knows where he was and work. -Magda nodded. I might have missed some, but I think that's it.

The girl looked into her soup and sighed. Her imagination was running wild and she had so many questions to ask. But she was afraid Magda would cut her out if she tried to dig too deep. Besides, she felt as if she was betraying his trust by invading his secrets. She chose the one that she thought would be safe.

-Why is his surname Desmond if his father is Japanese? -She asked.

-How do you know that? Did he take you to meet his parents? -Magda looked dismayed.

-Ah, no, I saw a picture and he explained to me that his father was nisei… -She tried to make it seem natural.

-He showed you pictures? So you're not the only one improving faster than expected. -The woman laughed out loud, misinterpreting Belle's words. -He didn't call himself sansei, though, did he?

She shook her own head in disappointment as the girl tilted hers.

-Their grandfather abandoned their grandmother when he found out about her pregnancy. -She sighed, knowing it couldn't be so simplified. -He would abandon her anyway, once he established himself in America, and would look for a pure blooded Japanese woman. He didn't want to stain his lineage with American-Irish blood, so he came back and tried to force her into an abortion. She ran away and they don't know what came to be of him.

-Ah. -Belle was horrified. The most complex story came out from the simplest question.

-But you know what? I told you I wouldn't answer questions about him. He warned me about this, and I didn't take it seriously enough. -The woman smiled with her bright white perfect teeth all showing. -From now on, I'll refrain from giving you information about him. So don't ask. Let's talk about you instead.

-What did he warn you about? -Belle frowned, slightly offended.

-That you captivate people. -She answered simply. -It doesn't matter. Let's work in improving your mental health.

-Does he think of me as captivating? -She was shocked.

-And manipulative, I must say. -Magda’s mouth creased to one side. -Such a dangerous combination… You know what they say, dynamite comes in small packages.

-I'm not manipulative! -Belle slid her empty plate aside.

-Aren't you? -Magda smiled. -Why do you think so?

-No, I can't prove something I'm not, you are the one who needs to tell me why you think that I am! -She realized she was irritated and controlled her voice not to raise it. -I'd never try to manipulate Desmond. And even if I did, he wouldn't fall for it.

-Why?

Belle stuttered and shut her mouth to organize her thoughts.

-Because it's wrong. And because he's too smart, he sees right through me sometimes.

-Ok, we have two important statements here: something being wrong is enough to refrain you from doing it? So, have you never done something wrong on purpose? -Magda lifted a finger.

-I… No, I don't think I did. I try to be a good person. -Belle blushed, trying to remember any time she did something bad on purpose.

-So doing something wrong turns you into a bad person? -Magda tilted her head. -Do you think Ryan never does something wrong?

-Doing something wrong on purpose… That's stupid and selfish. -She shook her head.

She waited for the next question, then realized the woman was still waiting for her to finish answering the last one.

-He's not a bad person. He's just… He… -She stuttered. -He wouldn't hurt someone for his own good. If he hurts someone, it's pursuing the greater good.

Magda laughed out loud and she blushed violently.

-Here's something for you to think about. You can't be totally good. We have our shades of grey and colors. We can't be totally black or totally white. -Magda lectured her calmly. -You need to accept this in yourself or you'll keep hurting yourself every time you leave that wonderworld of yours. It's ok to be selfish sometimes. It's ok to put your own happiness above other’s.

Magda turned back to her soup, letting it sink in.

-I think it shouldn't be like that. -Belle shook her head. -People should care about how what they do will affect others. One mistake doesn't validate another.

The woman didn't answer, just kept eating. Belle felt the need to make sure Magda understood that she wanted to be faithful to Desmond, no matter what pain it might bring her.

-Besides, I owe him too much already. I can't just think about myself when he's already doing it for me. -She looked down. -I need to do my best to make it up to him.

-Which leads us to the second question. You're not abusing your power over him because you fear he might realize it, since he's so clever… -Magda rolled her eyes as if the idea was stupid. -Or because you'd feel guilty?

The girl frowned. What is this all about?

-I don't know what you're talking about. -She crossed her arms. -I don't feel comfortable with this conversation.

Magda sighed and smiled.

-Good. That is a good example of how you can impose yourself without feeling bad about it. -The woman nodded. -If you don't want to, and if it isn't imposed on you by force of law, you should feel free to refuse to do what people expect you to.

They stayed quiet until Magda finished her meal, but inside Belle's head there was a riot. Was she encouraging her to stand up to Desmond when he tried to restrain her without a practical reason? Was she telling Belle she should make a move to win his heart? What the fuck has just happened?

-Do you think Desmond is a bad person? Do you think he would manipulate me or hurt me on purpose? -She needed to make sure that wasn't the point.

-Ah, no. I know I told you I wouldn't give you information about him, but this is important that you know. I have a biased opinion about Ryan. -She wiped her mouth with the napkin and looked straight into Belle's eyes. -Even though Richard left us, Ryan is still like a brother to me. I watched him growing up. I took care of him when he had his first hangover, I gave him a lot of advice when he got his first heartbreak and when he caused a lot of hearts to break right in sequence…

Magda's eyes were far away, lost in memories.

-If I think he's a bad person? Not even if he strangled a baby right before my eyes. -She shook her head and smiled. -To me he is pure love, with all its ups and downs. If he would want to hurt you? Perhaps, I'd never say never. If he'll manipulate you? What makes you think you're so special to him that he would have any reason not to?

arinzone, imeren, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  19. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No no, you've got me wrong, the chapter is out =P I just don't want you to want to strangle Magda =.

Isobel, saye and beewink like this.
  20. beewink

Reading List:
    Link

Magda has my head spinning!!! But honestly it's in a good way!

Isobel, saye and GiBro like this.