Novel ✪ Memory Corruption (R-18) (Book 1 and 2 Finished) (Book 3 on release now)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by GiBro, Jul 2, 2021.

1. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    at this point Desmond needs to listen :whistle: but yeah true they need some real progressive one on one conversation. pillowtalk is okay too :p:p

Isobel, GiBro and beewink like this.
  2. beewink

beewink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a feeling somehow they are going to both end up going into WPP and end up in a comfortable sense of security that will bring them closer and strengthen there bond/feelings for one another but that false sense of security won't last and something is going to happen...

Isobel, GiBro and saye like this.
  3. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes yess exactlyy!!! like this underlying sense of danger, I also feel like that :LOL::LOL:

GiBro and beewink like this.
  4. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, still about 10 chapters from season 2 here, I added a bunch of things while revising because the chapters where shallow/didn't explain some things that were important for the last chapter (yeees, that critic stabbed me in the heart =P).
    Perhaps it's more than jealousy... Perhaps he knows his team and knows what they could do behind his back...
    Shhhhh, don't spoil it! XD

Actually I must say it won't take long, the next chapter is cute, I like it a lot... You might like it too.

What I meant to show in this part is this:
    He has his demons and he started to let his guard down because he thought she was different from other people in a way that made him feel safe enough to do so, and he sees a lot of himself on her.
    Then she went and hurt him, even if slightly, but more than he expected her to.
    It's like Riftan when he gets back from war and finds out she turned her back on him and pretended they weren't married/ expected him to die (that's how he saw it and it hurt a lot). He's angry, but seeing her being attacked by the Orcs he's like, f*ck it, I'm gonna protect you even if you don't care about me, and then he gives her space to explain herself, something he would never do to another person, because he's been hurt before and don't trust people.
    Ryan is overprotective, not only with Belle. It's only that with her, he's trying to protect her from herself too, which is virtually impossible, so he'll have to learn to live with it if he wants to be near her, because she wants to move on, and for this to happen, she needs to look back.
    And yeah, both of them have serious flaws of character (which real people do) and outstanding virtues (which real people do too), the rest is shades of grey. She's jealous too (Alice, Samantha, Andrews), if he's jealous of the team (which I didn't say he is), he's not that bad of a guy xD

Isobel, saye and beewink like this.
  5. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mmmkaayyyy maybe captain knows his boys the bestt :whistle::whistle:

What I meant to show in this part is this:
    He has his demons and he started to let his guard down because he thought she was different from other people in a way that made him feel safe enough to do so, and he sees a lot of himself on her.
    Then she went and hurt him, even if slightly, but more than he expected her to.
    It's like Riftan when he gets back from war and finds out she turned her back on him and pretended they weren't married/ expected him to die (that's how he saw it and it hurt a lot). He's angry, but seeing her being attacked by the Orcs he's like, f*ck it, I'm gonna protect you even if you don't care about me, and then he gives her space to explain herself, something he would never do to another person, because he's been hurt before and don't trust people.
    Ryan is overprotective, not only with Belle. It's only that with her, he's trying to protect her from herself too, which is virtually impossible, so he'll have to learn to live with it if he wants to be near her, because she wants to move on, and for this to happen, she needs to look back.
    And yeah, both of them have serious flaws of character (which real people do) and outstanding virtues (which real people do too), the rest is shades of grey. She's jealous too (Alice, Samantha, Andrews), if he's jealous of the team (which I didn't say he is), he's not that bad of a guy xD

I personally just so love that you always go like "Ryan isnt a bad guy, he is just a little hurt, little disappointed. He is not a bad guy" like :cry::cry: so cute... many people would label him as "sexy bad guy" and call it a day honestlyy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyways now I also see that Desmond might have been patient in his own way with Belle and trying to coexist amicably somehow. you know that sure seems like a challenge since both of them are so strong-willed.:oops:

Isobel, GiBro and beewink like this.
  6. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ;);)Ty, you guys are awesome!:cry::love:

I didn't say he's a good guy :p but it's like when I read UOT and then read Riftan's POV and I was like: ok... he might have a point here. (But I think Riftan is a bit shallow in personality and in motivation, I try to write Ryan with a lot more of layers, and Belle too, although I think Max is a very complex character);)

beewink, Isobel and saye like this.
  7. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well I would say Maxi is emotionally still an adolescent kid who is just now getting out of the shell like exploring a world and finding herself and stuff so Im sure there would be more to see from her side. In that factor, I think Maxi and Belle are somewhat similar:LOL::LOL:
    As for Riftan, he had literally skipped this phase of life, it was all about surviving all this years, not daydreaming, wishing etc... I like how his experience and everything he has been through shaped him into an reliable, consistent and genuine human being.
    Anywayss Im looking forward to many layers of Detective Ryan Desmond:D:D

Isobel and GiBro like this.
  8. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :giggle:
    I'll take it as a compliment :giggle: having Belle compared to Maxi is something:)

next chapter is mostly about it, so wait a bit and you'll see a softer part of him :love: I'm really tired those days, my work is consuming me =\ but I'll try to revise the chapter this weekend and post it

beewink, Isobel, saye and 1 other person like this.
  9. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 40

-Crap, Isabelle! I swear, sometimes you are worse than a child. -Desmond snorted as he pushed her inside the study and closed the door behind him. -Why can't you just do what I tell you to? Why do you always doubt that I want what's best for you?

-I want to remember what I did! I want to know what Daniel hid from me all those years. -Belle answered, her eyes scanning the room involuntarily. -Can't you imagine how hard it is for me to accept that I did something so awful and I don't even remember why or how?

The room was a flood of information. There was a desk with a computer and two screens in it, then there was a safe with one pair of locked cabinets on each side of it. On the opposite wall from the computer, there was a table piled up with papers. The papers were meticulously lined up in small piles, as if he knew exactly what was where, and there was no sign of dust anywhere. Her attention was caught by the papers and she walked toward it.

-You didn't do shit. The bomb squad told us the bombs and the apparatus used to plant them were very heavy. -He snapped his fingers and pointed toward a bookshelf that covered the wider wall of the room, knowing that she would get distracted by the books and stop arguing. -I'm pretty sure you couldn't have helped them, at least not for the execution of the plan, maybe on the planning, but by the incompetence and prepotency of it, I highly doubt it wasn't headed by Daniel.

-Still if there's a chance that I helped him, I should remember and I should suffer the… -She followed his gaze and looked toward where he pointed at. She gasped and rushed toward the bookshelf, losing train of thought immediately as she checked the titles and authors. He chuckled and she angrily looked back at him. -What's funny? I'm serious!

-You might have a severe case of ADHD or something, did you know it? You're like a cat sometimes. -Ryan leaned against the door frame and sighed with a smirk. -It's delightful to see it, you look at things like it's the most incredible thing you've ever seen, paying attention to every detail, as if it was very interesting, even when it's not. And you seem to get excited with the smallest details like switching on your happiness out of nowhere. It's creepy, but I wish more people acted like that, maybe I would enjoy being near them more often.

-I don't do it! -She protested, then she turned back to him and tilted her head. -Does that mean that you like to be near me? I mean, more than other people?

He shrugged and looked away. His eyes paused over one of the piles of paper and he walked toward it with an annoyed expression. Belle was closer to it and followed his gaze.

-Are those yours? -She absentmindedly ran her fingers on the surface of the one on the top. He nodded and made a face. It was a drawing of a pair of eyes. She tilted her head trying to see it from the right angle. He paused and watched her, as her eyes opened wide and she gasped. -Are those Chloe’s eyes?

He just smiled. Belle reached out to take the sheet and have a better view, but refrained herself at the last second.

-May I? -She looked at him with eagerness. His smile transformed into a laugh with the adorable sight. -I promise I won't crumple it.

-You may as well tear it into pieces, I don't mind, I drew it because I needed to take it out of my mind, not to cherish it… -He smirked. He took a seat and leaned on his elbow, admiring her awed expression. -I gathered them while I was storing the documents that had confidential information, so I could bring you here. I was going to destroy them, but since you already saw it, I think you'll like the next one better…

Belle was curious to know what he was talking about but was entranced by her friend's eyes that seemed to have been sucked into the paper. It was exactly the look Chloe would have when she was very shocked. He got every detail, even the small freckles she had on her right eye. The drawing had been made with a black pen, but her mind could perfectly reproduce the crystalline blue of her eyes in it.

-Why was she so surprised?

Desmond grimaced and looked at his hand. Then he looked back at her and sighed.

-She wasn't surprised. She was afraid. Of me. -He made a disgusted face. -I'm not proud of it by any means. I'll appreciate it if you don't ask about it, but basically, she thought I… She thought she was gonna die.

Belle squinted her eyes when she remembered that he had tried to strangle a witness. All the pieces fit, so she just nodded.

-Is she ok? -Belle asked as calmly as she could. -Did she get under the marshals protection?

-She will. If she wakes up. -He said slowly. Then, seeing her outrage expression in reaction, he added. -It wasn't my fault. She had complications during a surgery. You don't have to know the details, but… Daniel hurt her. Badly. And now she's in a coma.

-Oh. -Belle felt a sting on her chest. First Bill… She gulped as she remembered her horrible thoughts that she would rather hear about Chloe's death than about her having anything to do with the terrorist attacks. Now she knew for sure that she didn't mean it. -Is she gonna be ok? How are the odds?

-It's an induced coma, just so she doesn't have to endure the pain. -He said in a monotonous tone and she was sure that it was quite difficult for him to talk about it. -The doctors believe her brain will find a way on its own to recover its functions, including alternatives for the nerves that were harmed. She might recover almost completely with almost no sequels… I don't know much about her current state, I'm forbidden to get near her or to access any information related to her, sorry.

-Ah… -She was out of words, so she looked around. Her heart was beating fast and she fought to keep bad thoughts away from her mind. It wasn't her fault, Daniel had no reason to hurt Chloe because of her… But she could have been arrested that night, if Desmond hadn't given up chasing her to save me. She would have been safe, even if in jail, so it was her fault, one way or another. She was trying to find a way of keeping the thoughts from coming when her eyes settled on the next drawing. -Oh my god! That's me! How? When? How did you do that?

The drawing was full of details. Ryan smiled broadly as he saw her sparkling eyes. He offered to hold Chloe's drawing for her as she looked around, looking for a place to put it, in order to free her hand to get the new drawing.

If Chloe's eyes were like a photograph, this one looked like a mirror. She was leaning on her elbow, playing with a strand of hair as she read a book. Her shoulder was exposed and there was a scandalous amount of the upper part of one of her breasts showing right below. She blushed but couldn't take her eyes from the drawing to scold him. She couldn't help but smile as she saw the meticulous details: the freckles on her shoulder and sparsely scattered around her cheekbones and eyes, the small bruise on her lower lip, some strands of hair that were out of place, her naturally long, slightly curved eyelashes, and a weird wrinkle between her eyebrows. Belle felt confused. She knew the person on the paper was herself. She could be looking at a photograph. Still, it didn't look like her. She pouted and sighed in frustration.

-Didn't you like it? -He asked her, not understanding her uneasy expression. -Sorry about the cleavage, I thought about cutting it off, but when I realized it, it was already done.

-It's ok… -She bit her lip, still unable to understand why she felt so different from the drawing.

-It doesn't look like it's ok. Are you offended? -He asked her, worried that she might take it as harassment. -You may tear it too, if you don't want me to keep it.

-No, it's beautiful, I'd never have the will to destroy it… -She looked at him, baffled by his suggestion. -It's just that I don't look like myself… I mean, it's perfect, you are an incredible artist, really, but it's just that it portraits me as if I was… Beautiful… And sexy.

He didn't answer. She didn't need him to, she could hear his eyes saying “So what?” and she blushed in response.

-I really didn't mean to offend you. -He said, shrugging. -You can have it, if you want it.

-I don't. -She wanted him to keep it. It was foolish, but she felt better knowing that he would have something to remember her after she was gone. -But I'll accept a drawing of you, if you want to make one for me…

-I don't draw self-portraits, sorry. You're gonna have to make do with the original. -He smirked. She didn't laugh. They stared into each other longer than expected, so he cleared his throat, turning toward the computer screen. -Do you wanna watch the videos now?

-Sure… -She put the drawing back on its place and looked around, checking the pile for more drawings. They stayed in silence for about a minute. The only sound was of him typing while he accessed the files they would use and prepared the recording devices in case she remembered something and he had to interview her.

-Ok, we could start with… -He started, still looking at the screen while she nosed around the other papers piled over the desk.

-Oh no… Why would you draw this? -He turned his head to check what she was talking about and the blood drained from his face. -How could you?

She had found his notepad and had flipped through the pages. By the amount of pages flipped, he knew exactly what she was talking about.

-It's nothing, I told you, I do this to take things out of my mind… Belle… -He got up and walked toward her but she backed away, trying to keep it out of his reach. He tried to snatch it without getting too near her, afraid that touching her might trigger a similar reaction as the one she had on the “sex cabin”. -It's just a scribble, I wasn't thinking about anything bad when I did it, I swear, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect… You.

He had a glimpse of the page she had seen when she put the notepad above her head and he had to control his face not to give away any sign of relief. She was still a couple of pages away from the drawing he thought she had been angry about.

-Why would you draw my scars? -Her eyes were brimming. -Do you have any idea of how ashamed I am of them? That's humiliating… I had no way of hiding it when you saw them.

-I guess I saw things that you should have wanted way more to hide, that night. -He mocked, but grimaced as he realized it was an awful thing to say. She blushed furiously and he took the opportunity to grab her arm and retrieve the notepad, as she hesitated. He tore off the page, checking if there wasn't something written or drawn on it's other side, then put the notepad in his pocket. -I didn't mean to show you this, or to anyone else, ok? It's just something that bothers me, so when the memory of it pokes too much, I draw it. It's hard to concentrate on my work if I keep getting glimpses of things like this.

He held out the torn page for her. She shook her head, looking at it with a frown.

-Here. -Ryan took a pen and leaned over the drawing. He started to add some lines to it. She observed him, not wanting to look again at the scars, but curious about what he was doing. After a couple of minutes he straightened his back and held out the paper again. -Now it's gone, are you happy?

Belle opened her mouth involuntarily and gasped. He had transformed the ugly scars into a pair of flowers. She looked at him in amazement.

-How do you even have those ideas? -She reached out and took it from his hand. She could still see the form of the scars, but only because she knew every detail of it. If she hadn't known how they looked, she would have never guessed that the flowers were hiding it. -Are these lilies?

-Tiger lilies. -He corrected without looking at her. He threw himself on the chair and pulled another with his leg for her to sit beside him. -It suits you. Can we, please, work a bit now?

-I wish I could do this with the real ones… -She walked toward him still looking at the beautiful flowers.

-You actually can… It's called a tattoo. -He mocked her.

-You can't hide a scar with a tattoo. -She rolled her eyes at him.

-Of course you can. You just have to do it with the right professional. -He frowned. -I have one. Almost no one ever noticed it after I covered it up. Even Samantha took a couple of months to find out that it was a scar, although she saw it everyday.

-Do you have a tattoo? Where? -She tried to guess and automatically looked down, since she knew his upper body like the back of her hand. -Really, you don't look like someone that has a tattoo… Where is it? I never even had a glimpse of it.

-And you never will. -He smirked. She made a face and he corrected it quickly. -You dirty minded, why would I have a scar there? It's in my thigh. I was stabbed, and it left a nasty scar, because I wasn't exactly in condition of receiving medical treatment right away and I had to move my leg a lot after it.

-Ah… Every time you tell me something about your life I realize that I never really lived mine. -She blushed as he laughed in response. She hesitated, then asked. -What is it? The tattoo…

-An eagle. And a phrase. -He looked embarrassed. -I was stupid, a teenager, I had just lost Richard and everything in my life was a mess. I didn't want to have to explain it every time I took off my pants, and to tell you the truth, I did an awful job stitching it, so women generally made a displeased face when they saw it.

He checked her expression just to make sure that she wasn't judging him, then went on.

-But I tell you, If I could go back in time, I think I would have preferred to learn to live with the scar. -He nodded to himself. -It's a stupid reason to permanently mark your body, only because you're embarrassed of a lesson, especially if you hadn't learnt it completely before trying to cover it up. I don't hate the tattoo, the eagle is actually cool, but the phrase…

He grimaced and shook his head. She didn't want to push him, but she couldn't hide her curiosity. She bit her lip to shut her mouth. He observed it and smirked.

-Malo mori quam foedari. -He snorted, then saw her confused expression and laughed. -It's Latin, do you know what it means?

-Not a clue… Evil dies as… It folds? No, I have no idea, sorry.

He laughed out loud at her guess.

-Not bad, I think, but wrong. -He pressed his lip and looked away, rubbing his forehead with an embarrassed expression. -It means “I'd rather die than be dishonored”.

-It's actually a good phrase… -She tilted her head. -I can think of thousands of worse things to write permanently in my body. This one sounds cool... It's noble and dignified.

-Yeah, until you have to face the fact that it's far from true. -He bitterly spat, shaking his head. He looked down and sighed. -When the moment came, I chose dishonor. I had it twice already, and I thought the first time was just karma, but no… I don't think I'll live enough to die with honor.

Belle tilted her head and approached him, sitting on the chair and waiting for him to continue. When he didn't give signs that he would explain it, she whispered.

-What do you mean, Desmond? You are the most honorable person I know, and besides the freaky marshals Chief, everyone around seems to think the same… -She felt disturbed by his gloomy vision of himself, so she tried to cheer him up. -I don't really think that sketch of Palpatine knows what honor is, from what you said about him, so…

Ryan sniggered, looking up at her.

-That's because you don't know me. -He sighed. -You have no clue of how many times I've chosen the wrong method to solve a problem and other people paid a high price for it. You included. I might have ruined your life, you know?

-You saved my life. Literally, more than once. If anyone has the right to ruin it and not feel bad for it, that's you. -At first it was a joke, but as the words came out, she realized they weren't far from the truth.

-Don't say this. Don't even think about it, that's stupid. -He frowned, offended. -No one has the right to do anything bad to you, I don't own you. That's not how it works. You might feel like you owe me something, and I understand the feeling, but I don't want you to.

-Sorry, but that's how I feel. If I have the opportunity to repay you, I'm certainly gonna do everything I can to do so. -Belle smiled, but his face was stern.

He thought for a couple of minutes before answering.

-I hope you never have the opportunity, then.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. saye

saye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

In Buddhism, tiger lilies are symbolic of the virtues of mercy and compassion. I think this meaning suits Belle the most :love:

Isobel and GiBro like this.
  11. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 41

She creased her eyebrows. She knew exactly what his words meant: he wanted her to be far away from him and from his place when Daniel found him. Her throat squeezed bitterly and she gulped with great difficulty. She watched his protruding Adam’s apple go up and down as he did the same.

-I'm gonna tell you something… -He sighed. -I don't think I've ever told anyone about this. I didn't think I would ever want to, either, so I probably won't want to talk about this again.

She stared intently into his eyes. He rolled his eyes, but nodded to himself. He spread his legs and pulled her chair closer to his, so close that her legs fit between his. She could feel the warmth of his body, and felt hers increase in response.

-My mother… -Ryan’s voice failed, but he cleared his throat and took a deep breath. He grimaced, but recomposed himself quickly, looking back at her with no emotion on his face. -She has a thing with names. She believes it means something about the person’s personality or future... My brother’s name was Richard Aiden. Do you know what it means?

Belle shook her head.

-Richard means dominant ruler. People here believe Aiden means little fire. It doesn’t, it comes from the name of a Celtic god and means fiery, or bringer of fire. My brother was none, not fiery, not dominant. He was calm, and gentle, and when I was born, he practically stepped aside to let me do whatever I wanted. -He sighed. -He never wanted to rule anything. I was spoiled as fuck. I had literally everything, and until the day he left for the army, I didn’t realize how much he served and venerated me. I was fifteen, he was twenty. We used to hike and travel together, a lot. I spent more time with him than I did with my father. He taught me practically everything I'm good at, my passion for learning, the drawings, shooting, martial arts… To me he was… Everything.

Ryan looked down and smirked.

-I’m getting off topic here… My mother named me Ryan because she thought it meant young king. Kind of ridiculous, but it was mostly because my father told her this. My grandmother had told him that if she had been born a man, she would be named Rian, and when they found out they’d have another boy, he asked her what it meant. I researched a lot, but apparently no one knows what it really means. Some of the meanings I've found were illustrious and water. I mocked my mother so much about it, that she had named her sons fire and water, that she stopped calling me Ryan.

Belle frowned and he laughed.

-Maybe it wasn’t just that. It might have been also because I told them I had decided to join the army around that time too. -He sighed. -Until today, she calls me Alexander… Which basically means protector. Literally it’s “defender of men”, but yeah, I got her message, and I was supposed to protect my brother. I didn’t. I did study a lot and then joined the army, I worked my way to becoming a sniper, even though it was the most brutal, gruesome and humiliating experience I had in my whole life, I did go to war, and I was meant to join his troop, but I screwed up, because I didn’t really know the difference between pride and honor. I didn’t have a second chance. By the time I reached them, he was already dead.

-What happened? -Belle wished to be able to read his mind. She knew he was telling her something very private and that hurt him a lot to remember, but still, the lack of details made her feel like he wasn't saying anything. -What do you mean by not knowing the difference between pride and honor?

-I pissed off my captain two days before our scheduled departure. I could have kept my head down, I should have, in fact he could have fucked my career, if he wanted to, he had all the right to do so… But he too didn’t know the difference between pride and honor, and he preferred to basically put me in the infirmary for three days. -He made a disgusted face. -I don’t blame him, but by the time, I think I could’ve killed him when I realized what it cost me.

-Did he beat you? -She was astonished.

-No. I wish he had. It wouldn’t have taken this long to heal and I would have been able to go with them. -He shook his head. -Anyway, I could’ve protected Richard, I could’ve died there too, either with him or in his place. I didn’t, and when I came back to America I swore to myself that I’d be a better person. Yeah, good thing I didn’t put my money in it.

-How dying with him or in his place would bring you honor, Desmond? How can you believe it would have been better? -Belle felt frustrated. His thoughts weren't that different from how she felt about herself many times, especially recently. Still, he reprimanded her for thinking like that, but didn't seem to notice when he did it himself. -Being honored doesn't mean you need to do everything perfectly. You're being extremely hard on yourself.

-You don't understand… I could say that by that time I was too immature, that I had that teenage spark that you have now, you know? That makes you do stupid things without considering the consequences… -He sneered at her offended gaze. -But I did it again later. Not exactly the same, but I chose my own life over my honor. So the tattoo... It's just a constant reminder that the wrong son came back home… And that the names could easily have been switched.

She looked down as she felt his gaze intensify with anger.

-Are you talking about Samantha's death? -She whispered.

-Yes.

-What happened? -She looked up but he wasn't looking at her. He was leaning on the table, rubbing his eyes with his thumb and index finger. -Did you run and leave her?

-No. If I had done this, she would probably be alive. Her baby too. -Desmond sighed. -Look, this is a boundary we won't cross. I won't talk about her with you, especially now that I know you're terrified by her. Try to forget that she existed and try to understand that she wouldn't be able to harm you, even if she were alive. And even if she wanted too, I'd never let her get near you.

Belle wanted to protest, but couldn't find a good reason to make him change his mind about talking about it.

-Do you have any idea of what your name means? -He tilted his head.

She thought about it, trying to remember if she had ever had any interest in finding this out.

-I think it means beautiful. Or something like that. -She blushed, embarrassed by the lack of humbleness in her words.

-That's what your nickname means, Belle. -He nodded. -Your name means “pledged to God”. It basically means a sacrifice or a gift to god...

-That's ironic. -She mused.

-Why is that? -He tilted his head, curious by her reaction.

-Because I don't believe in god. -She shrugged. -And I'm pretty sure my parents weren't religious, either.

-I didn't know that. -There was a small crease between his eyebrows. -Daniel is quite the fanatic, how come he didn't convert you?

-He doesn't know. I never told him.

-Why not? -The crease deepened. -And how could he not realize it? You two were very close weren't you?

-You hadn't noticed it… I don't talk about it, because I know it's a sensible subject and I don't wanna hurt someone over something that wouldn't make a difference. -She explained, afraid that he might be offended by her opinion. -I didn't tell Daniel because I didn't trust that he wouldn't resent me for being agnostic. His best friend, Trevor, is agnostic too, and they get along well, but he once told me that he expects Trevor to burn in hell and suffer eternally for his lack of faith… That's not something I wanted him to think about me.

-I thought he disguised himself well when he was around you, but no, you're just pathetic when it comes to seeing people's nature. How could you be around that psychopath and think he was normal?

-It's religion, it doesn't have to make sense… He never said he wanted to hurt Trevor, he just believed that his god would punish him.

-His best friend, Belle…

-At least he's honest to himself… He has conviction. -She shrugged. -But apparently he uses it to harm other people. I would've never guessed.

Desmond grunted and shook his head.

-Why do you hate Daniel so much, Desmond? -She took the opportunity again. -You said he killed someone… Who was it? Was it a friend? Another cop?

-Let's work. -He snorted. -I'm sick of remembering useless things.

-Why did you try to kill Chloe, Desmond? -She intended to make sure he would answer at least this.

-I didn't try to kill her. Believe me, if I had tried to kill her, she would be dead before she could even blink. -He said coldly. -If I really had meant to pop her windpipe, I would have made it with no effort. I didn't want to kill her, I was just furious and wanted to make her feel desperation and pain.

Belle gulped. She wanted to know, but at the same time his words discouraged her. His eyes were darker than ever, his impassive expression gave him a frightening aura.

-Why? -She whispered, her throat was sore from anguish in response to his posture. -Why would you do that?

-Because she tried to warn me and I mistook it as a threat. -He averted his eyes. -I’m not justifying it, I was wrong.

-What did she try to warn you about? -She put a hand over his, trying to make him look at her. -What did she do?

There was a knock on the door, and he turned his head toward it.

-No, please, answer me this first. -She grabbed his shirt in both fists as he got up. He looked down, towering over her. -Please, tell me why you did it. I can't understand. I can't imagine an acceptable reason, and it's making me afraid that I might do something that makes you want to do the same to me…

Ryan shut his eyes and pressed his lips. There was a bitter taste in his mouth. He could imagine her eyes looking at him exactly with the same expression that Chloe had that day. It wouldn't take much, if she had a slight sight of his days in Afghanistan, she would run and hide. And those memories were nothing compared to what he wished he could do to Daniel.

He opened his eyes and met hers. It was impossible to imagine his own hands strangling her fragile neck, still, he felt a strange urge to protect her from himself. Their relationship was becoming weird even for his usual parameters. If he could lock her up in a vault, he would. Only until he could be sure she would be safe, only until she could go out and live her life. He shoved that idea away from his mind and took her chin in his hand.

Her eyes were brimming, so his heart squeezed and his throat throbbed. He couldn't leave her without an answer, but couldn't lie. Not because he felt forced to tell her the truth, but because he didn't want to betray her trust. Belle had already become one of those rare individuals that he couldn't afford to lose. He knew it was ridiculous to let her have this level of relevance in his life, after all, she would cease to exist in a few days. It was like sip poison while pretending it tasted like wine. He took a deep breath and tried to compose himself.

-She said you would be the next. -Desmond answered, looking straight into her eyes, then pulled her hands from his shirt and walked toward the door, giving his back to her.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    imeren likes this.
  12. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 42

-Hey… -Belle peered through the gap between Desmond's arm and the doorway. She saw very light eyelashes and green eyes. It was Corey. His eyes moved to her and Desmond's body moved too, to block his sight of her.

-What do you want, Myers? -Desmond sighed.

-I had a serious talk with the Captain and he decided to leave. We were wondering if you two would mind joining us, sir. -His voice was calm and firm, not showing any sign of uneasiness at Desmond's posture. He scratched the back of his head and murmured. -We miss you man, we brought a turkey just to have this meal with you, I thought you'd get the joke.

-I've spent time I didn't really have, to prepare this meal for you... Don't be ungrateful. Go there and enjoy it, we're busy. -Desmond's voice sounded cold but at the same time relaxed. -He got on my nerves… I don't think I would be a good company now, anyway.

-Nothing new, right? We won't mind having our grumpy sergeant back at the head of the table, it might get even more nostalgic. ‘Cmon, it's not like one or two hours are gonna compromise your work… -Corey’s smile warmed his voice. He craned his neck to check on Belle again. -You won't mind sharing him with us a bit, right?

Belle blushed and shook her head shyly.

-See? We can all get what we want, come down, let's eat together. -He ignored Desmond's scowl. -It's delicious, by the way… Do you happen to be a vegetarian, Miss Isabelle? If you're not, you really should join us, even if he won't, because…

Desmond suddenly punched the door and Corey took a step back. Belle flinched, then got up, trying to check Corey’s face. Nothing in his expression gave away any sign of fear. They stared at each other in silence for some seconds, then Desmond let out a loud sigh.

-Are you hungry, Isabelle? -His dark eyes turned in her direction and she nodded. He snorted. -Ok then, but go ahead and tell them that if they say anything to embarrass her, you'll all have to eat inside the van.

-We wouldn't think of doing such a thing, sir. -Corey said with a serious expression. Then he lowered his voice. -We'll save all the jokes for your ears only, don't worry.

He chuckled and rushed back downstairs.

-Belle… -Desmond stopped her when she reached the door. -This person, deputy Andrews… She used to work with us at NYPD. She's still close friends with most of the people there, and although most of these men here resent her for what she did to me, some of them don't. And even the ones who do… You know how it goes, a lie told often enough becomes the truth… She threw the spark and now she's fanning the flames. My absence didn't help either. I've never been away for this long, so... Everyone thinks we're in some kind of honeymoon mood. I'm sorry, really. I'm staying here because I need to, it's safer if I don't give someone a chance to follow me home, you understand? I never meant to subject you to this kind of situation.

-I don't mind, Desmond. I'm sorry for putting you in this position too… I don't care about what people talk about me. -She shook her head. -Even if they say something to me, I'll be fine, I won't let them bully me, don't worry.

He opened his mouth, then pressed his lips and gave way for her to leave the room before he locked the door.

He let her take the lead, so when she stepped inside the room, everyone shut their mouths and stared at her. The man named Roy got up and took his empty plate with him. With the now vacant seat there were two seats close to each other for her and Desmond. He didn't pull out the chair for her as he usually did. Instead he grabbed a clean plate for himself and served two thick slices of turkey inside it.

-Do you want me to cut one for you, Isabelle? -He said nonchalantly. She nodded and he turned to the men. -You may go on with your chatting, we won't stay long.

-Yeah, Lucas, you may resume your boring explanation about the difference between UHD and 8k. -Corey leaned on the handrail and said out loud. -We were all so interested…

-Ah, no Corey, maybe you should tell Desmond about your score on the exam for sergeant this year… Tell him about how you failed to strike the 70% minimum required… Again. -The man she guessed was Lucas replied. He pushed his glasses over the bridge of his nose with his middle finger and scratched his temple. -I may be a nerd, but you're stupid.

-Stop acting like a peacock, Lucas. But really, Corey? -Desmond shook his head and frowned. -Last year was understandable, I get it that you were nervous, but still… You should get the minimum score at least. A child could do it.

The chat went on, and Belle ate in silence. The men laughed and shouted, always turning their attention to him or involving him anyway. She felt like a ghost. No one gave any sign of noticing that she was there. Sitting near Desmond didn't make any difference since he was the one who was most blatantly ignoring her. She finished her meal and excused herself as she got up and went upstairs, then locked herself inside the bathroom.

Belle washed her face vigorously, trying hard not to cry. She didn't know exactly what she was feeling. It wasn't anger, because she hadn't been provoked. It couldn't be sadness either, because although no one looked at her, no one disrespected her or mistreated her. It couldn't be jealousy, too… Even though he pretended she wasn't there, he put his arm on the back of her chair every time someone passed by them. She noticed it on the third time it happened, and took it as an involuntary protective reaction. He also filled up her cup as soon as it got empty, without asking her if she wanted him to. Even though he tried hard to show the contrary, his attention was hers, the whole time.

Still, being ignored was frustrating. She knew he was doing it on purpose to try to clean his image, trying to make it seem like they weren't close, but even though she didn't want to harm his reputation, it bothered her. He had done the same thing before, when the marshals chief had come. The truth was that she felt like he was ashamed of her.

When her eyes were clear again and her cheeks were less red, she got out of the bathroom with her head down and flinched as she bumped into Corey.

-Are you ok? -He asked her.

-Yes, I was just… -She started to explain herself, then realized that he was the one who owed her an explanation. -What are you doing up here?

-You took too long to get back down, and Desmond is distracted. I was just about to knock and ask if you were ok… -He shrugged.

-Are you trying to annoy him? -She squinted her eyes.

-Who? Me? -His green eyes widened. -Ah, no, I know him too well to do something this stupid.

-You know he doesn't want us to talk to each other, but you keep trying… I can't help but think that you want to get him angry. -She raised an eyebrow. - Or put him against me.

-No, I was really just worried about you. -He shook his head and gave her a sympathetic smile. -You had a gloomy look when you went up, and he told us that you cry a lot sometimes…

-Hm… Did he? -She didn't expect this.

-I mean, everyone already knew about what you went through… Andrews kind of leaked the reports, so we all got a copy. -He grimaced as he noticed her discomfort. -I'm sorry for reading it, but we were very curious, we wanted to know more about you. When we got here, we asked him about the rumors… They imply that he had been seen sleeping with you, but he explained that sometimes he had to watch you sleep because you cried and screamed a lot, that's all...

Her face burned. She had been prepared for jokes and insinuations, but she would never guess that Desmond would be the one to expose her.

-What else did he write on that report? -She leaned her back on the wall and he took a step back, assuming that she was trying to back away from him. -What else did he talk about me?

-Please, understand, Miss Isabelle… He didn't report it to make you look bad. He had to provide evidence of your improvement, or else they would recommend that you were sent to a clinic. -She could see that he was trying hard to justify it, as if he had outspoken involuntarily. -He reported that you were having some issues, like hallucinations and nightmares. We all want to make you feel safe and get better soon, no one will mock you because of this, don't worry. We care about him and we are serving our country, we're not here to judge you.

She nodded and crossed her arms.

-No one is here to judge you, but still, you could help a bit. -An older blond man encircled Corey and leaned on the wall, beside her, cornering her. He was the one that had spotted her that morning. She hadn't noticed how big he was, with thick arms and a protruding stomach. His posture reminded her of a fat pigeon. -No offense, we don't want you to die, but we really would feel better if you just went away as soon as possible.

-Jacob… Go back to the table, let me deal with this… -Corey gave her an apologetic smile. -You're not gonna get anything by demeaning her. That's rude.

-Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. It's just that it's not something you see often, a respectable agent throwing his career away for a girl half his size… -He put his hands in his pockets and eyed her from head to toes. -So… You and Desmond, uh? How is it going? Is he joining the protection program with you?

-How do you know about it? -Belle felt uncomfortable, but at the mention of the program, her focus changed. -Did Andrews leak that too?

-Kind of… -Corey looked around, embarrassed. His face, paler than hers, went red.

-Does Desmond know about it? Does he know that you all know? -She involuntarily looked downstairs.

-I honestly have no idea… But I don't think it would affect his decision. -He looked down. -But anyway, can you tell us if he decided to go with you? And when?

-He decided not to go. He never even considered going, with or without me, to tell you the truth…

-Really? -Jacob looked up at her and frowned. His expression was something between disbelief and outrage. -Why is that?

Belle shrugged. Corey looked like he wanted to give his back to her and walk away, but was unwilling to leave her alone with Jacob, whose face was crimson and had a vein pulsing on his neck.

-You know he doesn't feel anything for me, right? She just planted this gossip because she wanted to harm his reputation. -She took the opportunity to sort things out, since they were silent. -We never had any intimate contact, and he made it clear that we won't, even if I wanted to. You'd do me a favor if you pass this information on, it's not as interesting as the gossip, but it is the truth.

-Ah, yeah, right. -Jacob smirked and clicked his tongue. Then added as she frowned angrily. -I believe in you, that he hadn't have sex with you. I wouldn't feel aroused too if I were him, I mean, it's not everyday that a woman puts half a million on your head, right? It's a little too unappealing to know you can get a bullet to your brain in the middle of the act… And, no offense, but you'd have to be sick to want to have a girl screaming and crying under you. Still, saying he doesn't feel a thing, you're not near half as intelligent as Miss Riviera painted you.

Belle opened her mouth but didn't know what to say. She was panting and her eyes were burning when she saw Desmond's head rise above Corey’s red head and looked down. Jacob didn't turn but made an annoyed face at her before looking down. Corey just sighed.

-I know, I know, I shouldn't be alone with her blah-blah-blah… -He shook his head and rolled his green eyes. -Can we just not? I thought she needed help, I was just gonna find out if that was the case and go back to call you, relax.

-Corey, from all the imbeciles I worked with, you were the last one I thought I'd need to waste my time putting in your own place. -Desmond grunted. -Jacob, it's your turn to watch. I'll talk to you later. And I'll see to it so that the recruit Williams recommended takes your place tomorrow morning.

-You can't be serious. -Jacob turned his back to her to face him.

-But I am. Strike three and you're out. -Desmond shrugged. -I won't waste my time bickering with you over this. Stay away from her. For your own sake, keep your distance till then.

-I only talked to her twice. -Jacob pointed out. -There was no third time.

-This one counts as two, I heard every single word you said. -His dark eyes squinted. -What did you think would happen, after all? Did you think she would try and convince me? Did you think I would feel guilty because you used me to hurt her and give in?

Corey sighed. He looked like he would shout, but then shook his head and said in a very low tone.

-Why, man? Why did you refuse it? I mean, we're here, risking our lives for you. Roy left his baby for you, he could be there right now, holding the most precious thing of his world in his arms but he's here, protecting your ass. And Lucas, did you know he's been having trouble sleeping for the past two weeks and that he might not graduate on time because of this? -He hissed and spat the words. -And do you think I'm so stupid that I can't get the minimum score under normal circumstances? I failed because I found out that morning about the marshals intervention in your case, and couldn't think of anything else for the rest of the day, you asshole! Everyone is making sacrifice over sacrifice just because you couldn't keep your mouth shut at the first opportunity you had to push that demonic child against the wall and…

-I thought you didn't believe that he was guilty… -Desmond interrupted him coldly. -I thought you said I was crazy, that he wasn't the one that…

-I only said this because I hoped you'd let it go! -Corey grumbled and looked away.

-That bitch deserved to die, I don't even know why you'd mourn her at all. I would have put a bullet in her head if I were you long before fate did it for you! -Jacob raised his voice for a second but quickly turned it into a whisper. -You're better than that, sergeant! Anyone else would be dead by now. I mean, with that amount of money? Hell, I know people that would turn their colleagues in for half that price! But don't try your luck, you should leave before it hits a sum that someone decides to take the deal. And you say you'll put a recruit in my place? Someone that wouldn't give a damn for you? Give me a break, sergeant…

-Look… I'm not forcing anyone to stay here after she's gone. -Desmond ruffled his hair. -And as far as I know, she's willing to go next week or the other. That's not so long. After that you can all go back to your own routine, I'll stop it by my own means.

-And how are you expecting to do that? Are you gonna frame the boy? Are you gonna risk giving him the opportunity to get away with everything he did? -Corey lost his composure and raised his voice. -Or what? Are you gonna go after him like a rabid dog and throw your life away?

-I'm gonna wait until he makes a mistake. Or I'm gonna force him to make one. -Desmond answered. -Williams’ plan isn't all bad, the breaking point is her. Anyway, I won't drag any of you into this. I'm tired. I want to end this.

He pulled Jacob by his shoulder toward the stairs and approached Belle, signaling her to get closer.

-It's the last time I'm gonna warn you, Corey. I don't know what kind of shit you're plotting with Williams, but I already told him she won't be used as bait. -He put an arm around her shoulders, in a protective way. -Leave her alone.

-Desmond… His plan is actually good. She wouldn't have to leave the house… -Corey protested. -At least ask her if she wants to. She knows the boy better than we do, we should ask her opinion.

-She doesn't really know him and she doesn't want to take part in it. And even if she did, I don't, so she won't be involved and that's final. -He snorted. -Now if you excuse us, I'm gonna get her help in a way she can provide it, without having to do anything dangerous or indecent.

Before the two could answer, he pulled her toward the study. Belle staggered and he held her against him, but she pushed him away looking back nervously. Her eyes met Corey's and he pleaded for her help. She nodded and he smiled.

-Stay here a minute ok? I'm gonna bring water and some snacks for us and make sure things are in order. -He pulled her in and held out the chair for her. -It won't take long, you may navigate through those files. Don't watch this one, it's your friend's murder and it's graphic as fuck, I felt bad watching it, you'd certainly feel worse. I just want you to watch about two minutes of it, don't be stubborn, I'm telling you this for your own good, ok?

-I won't watch it. We need to talk. -She put her hand on his forearm. He looked down at it, but she didn't take the hand off, this time. Instead, she grabbed his wrist, the way he would do. He tilted his head and squinted. -You're gonna stop ignoring me in front of others. I understand that you can't treat me the same way, I'm not asking for public displays of affection. But I don't like feeling ignored or insignificant.

-I didn't ignore you. -He protested and pulled the chair to sit in front of her. -I never treated you like you were insignificant, Isabelle, are you out of your mind? Lucas has just called me papa-wolf and the guys mocked me a lot, because I couldn't afford to wait for you to come back downstairs. I'm gonna have to bear this nickname for weeks until they get bored and stop! How can you say I treat you like you were insignificant?

-Well, you did.-She pouted involuntarily. -They are right, though. That's something that needs to stop too. You're overprotecting me. I wanna know their plan. And if I decide to take part, that's my right!

-No I'm not, and no it's not! -He raised his voice and looked at her as if she was a child having a tantrum.

-Why not? - She let go of his wrist to gesticulate and he crossed his arms as he clicked his tongue. -It's my life, if there's a chance that I can be useful without getting myself killed, I wanna do it! Give me one good reason: why can't I help you with their plan?

-Because you're mine, not Williams’ or anyone else’s! -He shouted.

She gaped and frowned. He pressed his lips and blushed.

-No, that came out wrong, that's not what I tried to say… My witness, not theirs. That's what I meant. -He lowered his voice and cleared his throat, embarrassed. -I didn't want to use those words, but that's the truth: they can't offer you any deal without my permission. That's what I meant to say.

-Then, please allow them. And stop treating me like an object, I don't “belong” to anyone. -She murmured, uncomfortable with the situation. -And at least tell me what it is about, then. I feel like an idiot with everyone around me knowing everything when I know nothing! Especially if it is about me...

-They want you to call Daniel and tell him that I raped you and beg him to rescue you. -He said with a blank face. As she showed an outraged and disgusted expression, he explained. -They want to provoke him so he has to make a move, because we lost track of him. He's not in his home and it's been a while since the last time he incited his followers. We believe they are preparing something big, but now we are in the dark. We need him to make a mistake before his provisions and planning get too far.

-I really wish you'd explain to me what exactly he's doing. -Belle sighed. -What do you mean by followers?

-He basically built a new religion. With incels and other crazy people. -Desmond shook his head. -They kill people based on their own judgement of who deserves to die and who deserves to live. There's evidence of human traffic too. And of drug dealing and children alienation. It's a huge group and they have anonymous sponsors… Powerful people, some of them well known but that are impossible to associate directly to the groups.

Belle stared at the wall with a gloomy face. If anyone else told her that Daniel was involved with something that big, she would laugh on their faces.

-Did he kill someone? -She murmured. -I mean, did he directly cause someone's death?

-I've witnessed the murder of two of his victims by his own hand. -His monotonous tone gave her goosebumps. He averted his eyes when he noticed her discomfort and grabbed the pen and a notepad. He started to draw, but she couldn't see what it was and didn't want to interrupt him. -But I know for a fact that he caused the death of hundreds of American citizens, directly or indirectly. Not to mention the other countries. We have a good structure here, although we are one of the main targets of this group, other countries are suffering different kinds of attacks. We believe there's a plan to take over governments and implode the political system in some of those countries. Imagine a world full of people with ISIS-like values ruling everything.

-Why would they do it? I don't understand… -She creased her eyebrows. -Why would someone want this?

-There's a lot of reasons… Power, money, faith… -He shrugged, not taking his eyes from the paper. -Pick one and you can track some of the leaders down. There are only a few things that bring more money than fear and greed. They have plenty of greed, and they are trying to shove the fear down our throats.

-There can't be a person that bad. Daniel doesn't look like someone… I can't imagine him accepting this as normal. -She looked down. -He never…

-What kind of people explore slave or child labor? Do you like your sneakers? It was probably sewed by a child or a slave somewhere in China. I don't see you crying over it. The sellers, the store owners, the factory owners, the politicians that receive their taxes… They are happy enough to ignore it. I'm not into brothels. I had the luck to be born with the ability to get sex practically whenever I want, without having to pay for it, but most people don't. Do you think they care that more than half of those women aren't there because they want to? -He sighed and looked away. -That they can't go back home and are afraid to get killed if they try to run away? And that just to cover slave and child labor and part of human trafficking. There's so much more being explored here...

-So Daniel isn't the leader... There's a bigger scheme behind it.

-He's the leader of this specific group. We are keeping track and dismantling others. The problem is he's involved with big shots… People involved with extremist groups with crazy ideas… They spread in all sorts of sects and institutions, like scientologists, flat earth societies, radical political groups, media, technology and data industries… Even churches and temples. -He tore the page out and shredded it into very small pieces, pulling an empty trash can with his feet to throw it inside. He got up and shook his head. -He made a name for himself on the black market, and now he's out of control. The worst part is that we don't have enough proof to put him behind bars, that would only weaken the whole case. At least finally people believe me when I tell them he's a menace.

He walked away, but stopped with his hand on the doorknob.

-I'm gonna take a while. Watch the videos and take notes if you need to. Don't touch anything else.

As soon as he got out she looked at the notepad then to a pencil nearby. She shook her head, telling herself it was wrong, but curiosity got the best of her moral sense and she pulled the notepad. She carefully zigzagged the pencil through the paper until the faint drawing was revealed. She couldn't understand what it was at first. She tilted the notepad, trying to find an angle that would make it look like something recognizable. She tore the paper off and when she accidentally glimpsed at it against the light she saw it. She took both trembling hands to her mouth and the paper spiraled to the ground.

It was just the drawing of a finger... And wrapped around it, there were five small, impossibly tiny, fingers.

imeren, beewink, Isobel and 1 other person like this.
  13. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 43

Belle had zapped through almost all the videos by the time he came back.

She had tried to watch a bit of each one just because she was curious to know it's content, but had been unable to concentrate for long. There were some interesting things, that she wished she could invest her whole attention into, but just couldn’t focus enough.

The shortest video showed her with Daniel, Trevor and two older Trevor's friends on a subway station. She remembered that day, but seeing the full scene, she felt stupid for not noticing that something was wrong. They had followed an employee, one that had a different type of uniform than the others. She was impressed by how the cameras covered all of their movements through the station. They had stopped near him many times and the man had been unaware of them. She remembered that that day the boys had come with a lot of excuses to move from spot to spot, like a noise, or a smell, or a creepy looking guy. At the time she had not noticed anything, but looking at their movements through the cameras, they seemed suspect. The recording ended shortly after she told them the password. They said goodbye almost immediately. Daniel got inside the train beside her while the other three stayed on the platform. The two men sat for about five minutes, then another group joined them and had a quick talk before parting. The video showed the sequences of images of different cameras keeping track of the group before one of them put on a jacket similar to the subway staff and entered a security room. After one more minute of recording, the video ended.

Belle sighed. The image of what she could only believe were Desmond's deceased baby’s small fingers, wrapped around his own, kept torturing her. When he smiled at her with eyes full of empathy she felt even more guilty for meddling with his secrets, especially because she knew that he was assuming that her somber mood was caused by the videos, unaware of her treacherous attitude.

He offered her an apple and chewed on his, sitting beside her and taking small sips of his drink. She wrinkled her nose when the smell of the alcohol started to make her feel tipsy. He noticed her discomfort and pushed his chair back, watching her while he swirled his glass.

-Are you ok? -He asked when she pressed “stop” and sighed again.

-Not much, but I can't explain right now, sorry. -She didn't look at him. The crumpled paper inside her pocket started to weigh a lot. -Those interviews here, with Daniel's and Trevor's parents… Doesn't that mean that they know that you're investigating them?

-The first two were made right after the explosion. They weren't the only ones, we interrogated the parents of all the kids that were seen at the location. This one with the principal and the teachers too. The other two are from this week. Trevor and Daniel are both suspects of attempted murder against Chloe and for the murder of William. -He took a last bite on his apple and continued with his mouth still full. -But as you can see, they refuse to give any information. The fact that none of them show the slightest concern about their missing sons should mean something, but my request for bringing them to be interrogated as suspects or at least partakers has been denied. I suspect there are big fishes protecting them.

-Are they both fugitives, then?

Desmond just nodded. Then grimaced.

-But they are still just suspects, we can't arrest and prosecute them yet.

Belle nodded and examined his face. She felt useless everytime she realized that she could probably have solved the case for him had she not put herself in a position where Daniel could manipulate her completely.

-What do you need to be able to arrest them, then? -She asked with a crease between her eyebrows.

-Among other things, you. -He smirked.

-Then tell me what I can do to help you, because I'm lost here.

They watched the videos together. Desmond knew exactly what moments were important and she wondered how many times he had watched them. He made questions, not only about what she remembered of the ones that showed her, but her opinion about Daniel or Trevor’s posture in others. He also asked for her opinion on the testimonies of their parents. Both of them thought that their parents were lying about not knowing of any suspicious behaviors. Desmond had a theory that either they were terrified of their own children, so much that they avoided knowing details about what they were doing, or they were their accomplices.

Belle didn't discard any of the possibilities. She didn't know about Trevor's parents, but Daniel's parents never looked like honest people to her. His father treated his mother like his slave. And she behaved like so in front of him. When he wasn't home, though, she assumed a proud posture and often abused Daniel’s older sister. When she did so, it reminded Belle of the horrible days she spent under her aunt's guardianship. His mother didn't show any sign of shame or regret when she beated or humiliated the girl in front of Belle, saying that she needed to discipline their kids so they wouldn't grow up to be useless or vicious, although Daniel never had the same treatment. She felt glad for the girl when she heard the news that she would go to a college in Florida and would live there on her own, even though her parents didn't agree. He never talked about his sister, but Belle presumed that the girl was better now than then.

When she told that story to Desmond, he shook his head, saying that her school was a lair of broken children with wretched parents. There were a bunch of things that he didn't know about Daniel and that she herself didn't pay much attention. He was terrified of darkness, clowns and deep waters. Desmond seemed to find the information useful, because he wrote it down. When he looked at the notepad and paused, examining the remaining piece of the sheet she had torn out, she held her breath. He pulled the trash with his feet again and looked inside, then glanced at her. She felt like her heart would escape from her mouth, but he didn't say a word and didn't give any other sign of suspicion.

She told Desmond about the lab in Daniel's attic, something that his parents hadn't mentioned. The police knew about Daniel's storage unit, where he had kept a good amount of chemical products and equipment. With them becoming suspects and fugitives, he got a warrant to break into his improvised lab, but didn't find anything compromising there. Although he had some products that could be used to make explosives, he didn't have essential items there. Now he knew why.

The images of the inner part of the maintenance corridor of the gym had been corrupted, so the quality of it had been compromised and they only recovered screenshots of it. But Chloe and Belle could be clearly seen getting inside, and two other men wearing tuxedos and woolen hoods had been seen getting in before, with Chloe. Although the face and hair couldn’t be seen, Desmond and Belle were sure that they were Daniel and Trevor. On another image Belle was seen being held by the wrist by someone out of frame and on another, Chloe was holding her face down and trying to open her mouth. Belle remembered exactly what happened in that moment, having flashes of the situation.

-Why didn’t you scream? -Desmond questioned her, putting one hand on the camera, preparing to record her testimony.

-Because I didn't want them to be in trouble, I think… I don’t remember exactly how much they told me, everything is very confusing… It’s like trying to remember a dream I had months ago. -She looked down. -But I remember that I tried to convince Daniel to give up. Then I remember he tried to hypnotize me and as I turned my back to run away, Chloe held me and I fell. I remember that I tasted iron on her fingers as she was putting the pills into my mouth. I tried to spit it, but I swallowed some. I wanted to scream at that moment, but I couldn't.

-Were they the same as before? The ones that Daniel gave you, supposedly to help you with insomnia?

-I don’t know. -She shook her head. -But I remember it was a lot of pills, like ten.

-Do you think they were trying to kill you? To simulate an overdose?

-No… -She hesitated. -I think they were just surprised that I didn’t support the idea of killing the whole team… I… It's possible that…

She shut up.

-Belle… What are you hiding from me? - Desmond frowned and took his hand away from the camera. -What did you remember?

-I think I might have asked Daniel to kill them. -She didn’t look up.

-What do you mean? -He ran his fingers through his hair and got up. -Isabelle, what did you remember? Tell me.

When she didn’t answer he leaned over her, grabbing both armrests of her chair. She knew it was a symbolic warning. She was trapped, there was nowhere to run or hide. He didn’t force her to look at him, just waited, looking intently at her face. Eventually she looked up and bit her lip. He looked annoyed, maybe even angry.

-After the sex cabin… Thing… Me and Chloe, we investigated it. We didn’t have a plan, we just felt wronged. The new girl didn’t show up in the next week and when I asked the principal about her, he said she had asked to be transferred to another school. He told me the reason was because she hadn’t adapted to the rhythm of the classes, but we knew the truth. -She stopped to check his reaction. -When the boys got word that we had been around asking about it, they threatened Chloe. I was very angry and told Daniel and Trevor about it, even though Chloe had begged me not to. Trevor was outraged, because it was the first time he had heard about the parties, and he said we should do something about it before they did something to Chloe or me.

Belle paused again and examined his face. He didn’t move a muscle, listening to her every word with intense interest. She could feel the alcohol in his breath as he watched her. She gulped and went on.

-Daniel asked me what I wanted to do. He said I was the one who should decide and that whatever I felt was the right thing to do, we would. I said there was nothing we could do, that we should back away, take care of her and hope that they would leave her alone. -She murmured, avoiding his eyes. -Then Daniel asked me if I thought it was fair… And I answered that if the world was fair, they wouldn’t even exist… I said that I was so angry about the things they said they’d do to Chloe if she continued bringing the subject to light, that, if I could, I would kill them, that I would blow them up with my mind.

Desmond frowned. He thought for a moment, then went back to his seat.

-Was that all? Do you really believe this would justify that he’d do something like that? -He looked something between relieved and offended. -One thing is to say something like that when you're angry, another is being sick enough to put it into practice.

-But he probably wouldn't do it if he didn't think that was what I was asking him to. -She bit her lip, ashamed. -I should have never even thought about it…

-I would break all their teeth if it happened to one of my friends in high school, so I don't judge you for wanting them dead. -He shrugged. -I didn't really have girl friends at that age, but I'd still do it, even if they weren't that close.

-I didn't want them dead. I just wanted them to vanish.

-Anyway, before that night you hadn't heard about that plan, am I right?

-I was very busy, because of the prom and the end of the term. I had so many things to do that I hadn't had time to talk to them alone before that night.

-Good. Let's record that statement. Here's what I want on tape… -He pointed out the important parts of what she had told him. She felt like she was being coached, and she knew it wasn't right, still, she understood that he was doing it for her sake, to protect her from self incrimination.

When she was done with her testimony, he turned off the camera and asked her how she felt.

-Better. I hope this helps you somehow…

-It certainly will. The lab part will be useful too. -He nodded. -Belle… I know you might be tired, but can I show you something about William’s murder?

He showed only two parts of it. The first was of her coming and looking directly at the camera, then shouting at someone off the screen. Then she started to act that same way, like a zombie and Bill came into view, trying to drag her back to where she had come. At first it looked like she would fight him but then she just fell to the ground. Bill started to shout at the person too, clearly outraged. He disappeared from the image and Desmond stopped the video. He purposely covered part of it, dragging the window so that almost half of it was out of the monitor area.

-You don't wanna see what happened next. At some point you will have to, your lawyers will probably ask you to, when you get summoned to court, but for now, it's better if you don't, ok? -He explained.

Belle nodded. She knew that part would probably reveal why her shirt had been soaked in blood.

He pressed play and she saw herself getting up, looking confused and then running to the side that Desmond hid out of view. Chloe appeared from the same side she had come and started to cry. She looked desolated and desperate, putting both hands to her head as if she didn't know what to do. She bent down and started to pull someone's arm, Belle's arm, trying to force her to get up.

As Belle apparently refused to move, she pulled hard and the two of them fell back, coming back into full view. The girls fought a bit, competing to get up first, but Chloe was heavier and bigger, and sat over her friend’s waist. She took something from Belle's pocket and after fidgeting with it a bit shoved it inside her mouth, holding her nose with one hand and covering her mouth with the other. Belle kicked and slapped, but after less than a minute her arms fell to her side. Chloe checked just to be sure she wasn't faking, then got up, offering her hand to help Belle get to her feet too.

-After that you both run out of the school grounds. I got some images of you both running like crazy, almost getting hit by cars more than once. A bit before you collapsed, you stopped in the middle of the road and used your cell phone to call me. Chloe came and checked your vitals but ran away right after.

Belle stared at him. She didn't understand what she had seen, and didn't remember anything either.

-You were talking with Daniel, right? What did you tell him before he hypnotized you again? -Desmond pressed her. -And of all your other options, why did you choose to call me?

-I don't know. -She answered, looking away. -Bill died because of me, didn't he?

-He died because Daniel killed him. Don't blame yourself. -He pulled her chair closer and took her hand. -It wasn't your fault, you didn't do anything against him.

-He clearly went after me. If I hadn't been there they wouldn't have taken him. -She sobbed and started to cry. -And if I hadn't just stood there and watched… If at least I had reacted… If I had put my body between them at least…

-I know exactly how you feel. -He murmured, pulling her head to his shoulder. She hugged him and cried even more. -I know it sounds like I'm belittling your pain, but I'm not. I really know exactly how you feel and it won't go away. You're gonna carry it with you forever.

-That doesn't help. -She whined.

-I know. If I knew how to help with it, I'd solve my own problem. -He sighed. -Are you sure you don't remember who you saw there? They managed to avoid all the cameras. We got their car, but couldn't track them, because they abandoned it inside a mall, it had been robbed weeks before the murder…

-No, I'm sorry. I'll try harder, but right now I can't, sorry. -She sobbed while she tried to wipe the tears, but others came.

-Hey, let's call it a day, ok? -He kissed her forehead. -Thank you for what you got us for now. Don't push yourself too hard, we can go on tomorrow or next week.

-I thought you wanted me gone on Monday… -She grumbled, looking away.

-I don't want you gone, I never said that. I just want you to be safe. -He pulled her back and got up, offering his hand to help her do the same. -Come on, go wash your face and rest a bit. I'll get something for dinner. I sent the crew back to the precinct, they will take turns of two on watch. Hopefully none will have the audacity of showing up for dinner after what Mounty did. Jacob.

He explained as she tilted her head, not recognizing the name. She nodded, remembering the harsh words the blond man had directed to her.

He locked the door after they got out. Belle threw the piece of paper inside the toilet and flushed it after using it, just to be sure that he would never find it. She washed her face, but she couldn't stop crying, so decided to take a long bath. As she laid inside the bathtub he knocked on the door twice to check if she was awake, then gave up and told her he would sit at the door, just to make sure that he could help her in case she drowned again. She felt grateful for his concern, and even found it cute, but at the same time she felt embarrassed.

A bit after she had decided to get out so he could stop wasting his time with her, she heard him answering the phone.

-Desmond, counter… What do you mean? Hey, easy, go slower. What channel? What do you mean by all of them? -He paused, then shouted through the door. -Belle, drain it, I'm gonna have to go downstairs.

His voice was urgent, so her heart started to pound in her ears. She immediately did as he told her and got out of the bathtub, wrapping herself with the towel and running to the door. Then she remembered that other people could be inside his house and decided to dry her body and get dressed before running after him.

When she went down, Desmond was leaning over a sheet of paper, drawing. He had his earphones on and his phone was over the table, connected to it.

-How can you not have it yet? And how did that motherfucker get it transmitted? What do you mean by it, asshole, translate it, I don't know shit about those satellites things and I can't stop to study it now! -He was furious with someone on the other side of the line. -Then you have to find out who's the owner! I don't care, I can get the permission, tell me what you need!

Corey was observing him with his cheeks and ears very red. When he spotted her he smiled and signaled her to come closer. She tiptoed to Desmond's side in a way that he would be between them.

Desmond took out his earphones and turned his attention to his drawing.

-The window… I need to remember what could be seen out the window, there's gotta be a way to find his location through it… -He murmured.

-What are you doing? -Belle looked at the drawing over his forearm, but she could only see part of it as his hand was covering it. -What happened?

-Not now, Belle, I'm busy, go to the bedroom for now, please. -Desmond grunted. She flinched at his annoyed tone, as if she was a child interrupting a business meeting. He noticed and looked at her with apologetic eyes. -I'm very angry now, I don't wanna risk mistreating you. Please, stay away from me for the time being.

Corey's eyes widened in legit surprise. His eyes darted from Desmond to Belle and he let out a loud laugh. The dark eyes turned back to the drawing, ignoring him completely.

-What's so funny? -Belle frowned, turning to the red headed man.

-Not exactly funny. It's just that you'd be the first person I ever seen Desmond caring about if he would hurt their feelings… It's surprising. -He chuckled. -If I tell the guys about it…

-Then don't. -She cut him. -You are not some kid to go and gossip around, man up!

Desmond turned his head in her direction slightly and made a noise, signaling her that he wanted her to shut up. Corey smirked as she crossed her arms and grimaced at him.

-Fuck, that's the worst moment for my memory to fail me. -He snorted and ran both hands through his hair. -Why are they taking so long to get a copy of that transmission?

-Why are you drawing Daniel's room? -She tilted her head as she took the opportunity to have a better look at the drawing.

Corey turned to her and frowned. Desmond did the same.

-What do you mean? That's not his room. -Desmond looked back at the drawing.

-It's his room, I mean, not here, but in Rio. -She explained.

Desmond looked from the drawing to her, with a blank face.

-His parents don't have a house in Brazil. -He frowned. -I’ve checked it, they have another property in Canada, but it's occupied too.

-They do have an apartment. It's on a friend of the family's name, but it's theirs. He used to spend winter break there almost every year a couple of years ago. We used to talk through video calls everyday, that's why I'm sure it's his room. Even the angle is the same…

-Why the fuck didn't you tell me this before, Isabelle? -His frown deepened and a vein pulsed in his neck.

-I didn't think it was important. -She murmured. -I'm sorry, I didn't think you'd want to know about…

-Don't you think it's fucking suspect that his parents have a house that they don't want the government to know that they own? -He almost shouted, but controlled himself. -How can this not seem important to you?

-Daniel told me it was because it's too near to the coast, so they couldn't buy it, because of their laws or something like that. -She tried to remember what exactly was his excuse.

-I doubt there exists such law. -Desmond frowned. -Did he tell you the name of this friend?

-If he did, I didn't give it much thought, but I remember he implied it was some Brazilian politician. -She bit her lip.

Corey and Desmond exchanged glances.

-Call Riviera, Desmond. We’ve got something big here. -Corey whispered.

14. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dear readers, how are you?
    Hope you're all safe and healthy S2

Sorry for the delay =( What are you thinking about the story for now?

How do you feel about getting a glimpse on the Gaiden / spin-off of Ryan's Point of View that I was working on before the engineers of the building I administer decided that they will kill me from exhaustion before I take my vacation?

If you want to, what story do you wanna sneak peek?
    • One of Desmond's traumas during war.
    • How Desmond got his scar.
    • The first time he thought of Belle after saving her.
    • Other (I might not have written it yet, but you might inspire me, so I can write during vacation).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    beewink likes this.
  15. R_Luna7

R_Luna7 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to make an account just to reply to this and I couldn’t help myself. Lol

I literally check for an update daily. Multiple times a day. I’ve truly become invested in the story, the character development and I just NEED TO KNOW.

I’d love to read about Ryan’s first time thinking of Belle after saving her. However, I think I’d want it imbedded in the current story. Like a memory that he tries to suppress or he tells her about? What I’m really saying is I don’t want to detour lol I have to know what happens first so I’ll wait until after if you choose to make it a side story. Please don’t hate me

Thank you for sharing this story with us and I can’t wait to read the rest :)

beewink and GiBro like this.
  16. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 44

Desmond made a lot of other questions just to be sure that there weren't other things that she had “thought weren't so important”.

She felt dumb. Not because she hadn't thought about telling him about the apartment in another country. There was no way that she could know that Daniel would be able to leave the United States without the FBI’s knowledge.
    No, the reason why she felt dumb was because Desmond kept treating her in a condescending way, rolling his eyes at every unsure answer she gave him and urging her to try harder. Corey tried to calm him, often pointing out that he was being rude, which made him back away a bit, but didn't mend it.

-Isabelle, there must be something else! Let's watch it again. -He insisted, pointing at the screen and pulling her chair closer to his. -Do you at least remember if it was located inside the capital city?

-Desmond, for the millionth time, he never ever told me the address! I never asked him! -Belle was growing more irritated by the second. She slapped his hand away from her chair and pushed herself a foot away from him.

-Do you realize that a huge amount of people might die if we don't stop him? -He pressed, vehemently.

-Desmond, don't… She's not unwilling to help, she just doesn't know the answer. -Corey put a hand over his shoulder, but was shoved away immediately.

Captain Williams crossed his arms and cleared his throat. He had arrived about half an hour after Desmond had called Riviera, but had been leaning by the door of the study in silence for quite a while now. The three officers had discussed the contents of the transmission, which showed someone wearing a mask of a wild boar, imitating a bloody severed head, warning the whole world that a revolution was about to begin. The text was too long and too complex to be considered captivating or motivational. The creepy image chosen by the messenger to hide his identity didn't help either. Although the speech invited people to fight for their cause, by their side, the main objective was to spread panic and fear.

The video had a bit more than two minutes, but contained so much information that Belle felt dizzy and couldn't absorb it all, even though it was the fourth time she was being forced to watch it. In essence it invited the “good people” to fight against the “filthy spirited” that were trying to change the world for the worse. It invited people to hunt down those that didn't behave with the "values" that a "healthy family" needed to "plant its seeds and thrive". It invited those who had those values to stand up and reveal themselves, taking up power and shutting out those who insisted on spreading reproachable ideas. She felt a Hitler-like vibe on his enthusiasm, although the modified and retorted voice cut most of the emotion from his words. He didn't use any really negative words, like killing, eliminating, or subjugating. Instead he used positive words to point out their self-righteous supremacy. The main failure, in her point of view, was that no clear distinction between “them” and “us” had been made. Near the end he announced that "the days of the judgements" were coming, and that the first one was near, asking his kind to prepare and wait so that they could help purge the evil from the world, together. The final words cut deep in her mind: you'll know when, and they will, one by one, feel the true weight of their mistakes.

-Desmond… -Williams took his glasses off with one hand and rubbed his tired eyes with the other. -Are you expecting her to confess that she knows what he's planning to do and when he's planning to act, or are you just trying to traumatize her?

Desmond sighed and leaned back on his chair. He looked at Belle, truly seeing her face for the first time since they had come back to his study an hour ago. She looked tired and miserable.

-Shit… Belle, I'm sorry. -He rubbed his own eyes. He checked his phone and snorted. -Damn, how the fuck did he get this transmitted, anyway? They said it spread worldwide. With subtitles…

-Do you think he'll act from Brazil? -Corey asked him. He poured a glass of water and offered it to Belle, but she refused it. -Miss Isabelle said she's sure that that was his room, just with a different type of illumination. Are those enough grounds to bring him under custody?

-I think I have some screenshots of our video calls on my phone, maybe even on my Instagram… -Belle offered. -That would be proof, wouldn't it?

-Let's take a look at it while Desmond thinks about it, follow me to the kitchen, Miss Isabelle. -Williams promptly offered, taking his phone out of his pocket.

Before she could get up, though, Desmond grabbed her arm and pulled her down. She was forced to sit back and looked at him, startled, but his dark eyes were on the Captain.

-Not even in your dreams. She stays beside me as long as you're here. She won't leave my sight, not for a second. -He growled, lifting an eyebrow as he turned to her. -And you don’t have any picture of him in that place on your Instagram. I've been watching you both for almost six months now. I’d remember it. You must think I’m stupid.

She shifted her position on her seat and frowned at him. He sighed and looked down at his hands that were resting between his knees.

-I'm sorry for how I treated you for the last few minutes, I'm not used to feeling impotent like that, it gets me on edge. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way that I learned to deal with this kind of situation. -He explained and she felt that he was being completely honest. Then his eyes turned dark again. -I understand that you might wanna get back at me, and I'll take it, but not like this. If you wanna piss me, do it with something that won't bring you harm.

-What? -She tilted her head. Corey grunted and touched her shoulder gently, just to call her attention, taking it away as soon as she turned to face him.

-Captain Williams wants you to call Daniel and ask him to meet you at the precinct. Desmond doesn't want to. -Corey explained. - Captain Williams was probably going to explain our plan to you, away from his ears, and Desmond thinks you knew it and was planning to help us just to annoy him. Don't mind it, he can get ridiculously paranoid sometimes.

-I'm not being paranoid. She's not stupid, it's obvious that she knew exactly what would happen if she went with Williams. -Desmond spat the words. He turned to her outraged expression and smirked. -Go on. Deny it.

Belle blushed. She didn't know that Williams had that intention, but she herself had thought about asking him, in private, what she could do to help, knowing that Desmond wouldn't tell her the truth, if he thought she wouldn't be capable of doing what needed to be done.

-I wanna help. -She answered simply. -With something I'm capable of, which isn't giving you an address I never knew in the first place. How come you are willing to hurt my feelings in order to try to find out where he is, in another country, but unwilling to take the risk of him doing the same, in order to bring him here where you can get him?

Corey's eyes opened so wide that she could see the white of them with her peripheral vision. The captain let out a grunt of approval. Desmond looked at her blankly. She stared at him, knowing that if she showed any sign of remorse or uneasiness, he would seize control of the situation.

-I'm not… -He started to say, then sighed. -Look, do you really want to say those things about me?

-What things? -She frowned.

-You know exactly what they want you to say in order to make him come running to get you… I told you already and it’s impossible that you have already forgotten. -He squinted his eyes, with disgust flowing through his words.

-I won’t say you did something to me. I’ll just say that I need someone to get me out of jail, he’ll come. -She explained.

-That wouldn’t work. -He snorted and leaned back as if he was just too tired to explain something so obvious. -First of all, he knows we can't arrest you, and he would use his contacts to find out that you weren't, anyway. Secondly, and most importantly, the objective of the plan was making him get so angry that he’d want to solve it with his own hands. Like what he did to your rapist colleagues from the football team. He did all that only because they almost… Forced you. Imagine what he’d do with someone who actually went all the way. The plan isn’t bad, but if we’re gonna follow it, I prefer we do it without you.

-Desmond, he wouldn’t believe you... The whole point of the plan is making him believe she called him behind your back and that he'll catch you by surprise. -Corey shook his head. -He won’t defy you face to face. You should know that, better than anyone else.

-I don’t doubt he’d do it, if he believed it had really happened. -Desmond shrugged. -As long as she’s not here anymore, the worst that could happen is the plan flop.

-Desmond, I must say, I can’t have you putting your personal feelings above thousands of lives. Maybe even more than that. -Captain Williams said in a low, decided, tone. -Either you come up with a better plan, or I’ll get Riviera’s permission to take the girl to the precinct and put the plan into practice. Miss Isabelle already said she’s willing to help.

-I never said I’d agree with saying I had been raped. -She replied. -Especially by someone that never did anything against me. Either you come up with a better plan or I won’t help you with it. Sir.

She added the “Sir” out of reflex when the man looked dismayed by her insubordinate attitude.

-And if you think Riviera will support you with this gruesome idea, you’re dead wrong. -Desmond pinched her waist discreetly and shook his head. She didn’t understand what he meant, but he didn’t explain.

-She already said she will. -Williams smirked. -Maybe your credit is running low with her these days, Desmond. Well, Miss Isabelle, if you want to prove your innocence and compensate for all the aid you provided to that group until now, I really recommend that you help us with this plan. If we succeed, if your help leads to apprehension or to valuable clues, I promise I’ll assure you acquittal to all charges that may fall upon you about this case. I’ll keep this promise even if I have to spend all the favors I’ve been saving through those twenty years of service, which are many.

-She doesn’t need your help. -Desmond grunted. -You don’t need him to get free, Belle, trust me.

-I wouldn’t do it for pardon. I’m really worried about what Daniel might do... -She felt uncomfortable about the two men having a tug of war over her. -I just want to help. Let me do something, please.

-Let's talk about it tomorrow, ok? -He sighed. -I'm not in any condition of having an argument with you now, and you are clearly too tired to think about it reasonably.

She pouted and he smirked, getting up and offering his hand to help her get to her feet.

-Don't go away yet, Captain, I wanna talk with you. -He spoke without any emotion in his voice. -I'm gonna call Riviera and check your claim.

-It's late, we can do this tomorrow. -Williams answered nonchalantly, taking his phone from his pocket. -But since it's proof that you need… Here's some reading material for you.

Desmond's phone vibrated inside his pocket. He didn't need to read the message, since he could guess it's content. If Riviera had sent the Captain a text, it was because she expected Williams to brag about it to him. And the reason could be only one: he would have to choose between doing what she wanted him to do and doing what Williams wanted him to do.

-Goodnight, Williams, I'll see you tomorrow. -He opened the door and held it for the girl and the two men to leave his study, locking the door after them. Belle headed for the bathroom, but he put an arm in front of her and pointed to the bedroom.

-I wanna brush my teeth. -She explained.

-Use the suite. -He murmured.

-My toothbrush…

-Ok, but don't come down and don't snoop around. Go straight to the bedroom after you're done. -He sounded annoyed.

She nodded and looked at their backs as they parted in front of the bathroom door. When she got out, she heard him talking with someone. He was giving instructions to the small group of policemen. She couldn't make out all the words he was saying, but his tone was very formal and serious. Belle felt a shiver run down her spine. He was worried that something might happen that night.

She was lying on the bed, pressing his shirt against her chest when she heard the soft knock on the door. He opened it before she could answer, cautiously checking on her before getting in and closing the door behind him.

-Are you still awake? -He whispered.

-Yes.

He walked toward her and sat on the floor, beside her. She sat up and watched him.

-I'll let you do it. If you really want to. -He looked away.

She wanted to answer that she didn't need his permission, but decided that this wasn't a contest of pride. He looked back at her as she nodded, and she saw in his eyes how much it meant to him to give in.

-Thank you, Desmond. -She smiled. -How can I help?

-You'll get through with their plan. -He snorted. -But only if mine fails. And that's unnegotiable. Tomorrow Marrie will come and take care of you while I'm away. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but don't be alone with any of them. In fact, don't be near them. Stay here, if you can. They won't be bold enough to come into the bedroom just to try to convince you to act behind my back.

-Desmond, is it just because of the plan or do I have any other reason to be afraid of them? -Or are you jealous? She didn't have enough courage to ask him this.

-They talk. A lot. More than they should. Some of them are fucking undisciplined and can't behave in front of women too. -He pressed his lips. -And you're very slow at reading signs. I don't want them to build intimacy with you. They might treat you as an extension of myself, do jokes, get unseemly, I don't want you to get hurt and I'd be deeply annoyed. I have too much to deal with already, don't want to have to step up between you.

-Ok… -Belle suppressed a smile. There could be more to it, but jealousy seemed to play a part in his discomfort. She tilted her head and creased her eyebrows. -What is your plan, Desmond? Where will you go?

-None of your business. - He answered, then looked straight into her eyes. -I'll let you know if I succeed.

-But what if you don't succeed? Will it put you in danger? Does it have any risk for you? -She insisted. -Please, just tell me the basics of it, just so I don't worry much. It bothers me that you don't trust me enough to tell me...

-You're willing to say in a convincing manner that I raped and beat you, Isabelle! -He frowned, looking away. -I think if you wanted me to feel obliged to mind offending you, you should have never considered doing it.

-I don't want to do it. But if there's no other option… -She crossed her arms, feeling uncomfortable.

-There are a lot of other options. Like you going under protection so I can deal with Daniel without worrying about your safety, for example.

She stared at him in silence, afraid that he might tell her the date she should leave. But he didn't give any signs that he would.

-Promise me that it won't put your life at risk, then. -She demanded. Her chest felt tight with a piercing pain. -Promise me you won't do anything that might harm you.

He lifted one eyebrow and stared at her in silence.

-Desmond…

-Isabelle, you're not gonna get any hint on what I'll do. I don't want anyone trying to help me or stop me. -He sighed and gave her a bitter smile. -If I fail, you'll know, then you may say whatever shit you want about me.

-Why don't you help me come up with a better plan? With something more effective than him thinking that you abused me…

-Because your psychopath friend has an obsession with your virginity. With any woman's virginity actually, but I believe that yours is more important to him. -He rolled his eyes.

-I think that's your impression because you're jealous of him. -She answered, embarrassed by the subject.

-What? Why would I be jealous of him? -He shifted his position, leaning his forearm on the bed. -You clearly have a preference here, if we are talking about physical attraction, I think I beat him by far… Not that it would make any difference, though, we don't have any reason to be jealous of each other.

He said it in a nonchalant tone that made her blush violently.

-I mean… Why would you think he cares… Why would you think he even knows that I've never… -She felt so embarrassed that she couldn't find any reasonable explanation. Her face burned and she felt hot with shame.

-You might not know, but there's a reason why I thought you two were together as a couple. -He murmured and took his phone from his pocket. He scrolled through his messages, then handed her the phone. -This is how he talks about you to his followers.

As Belle read the conversation, her stomach churned and her heart pounded. She felt choked and exposed.

It was a conversation between Lucas and Desmond.

LP 16:42- I mean
    LP 16:42- did you see his girl?

RD 16:45- No.
    RD 16:45- Thought the bastard was gay, with all that incel BS.
    RD 17:02- What about her?

LP 17:02- HAF
    RD 17:02- ?
    RD 17:05- Don't think we're on the same page here, what is that?

LP 17:06- gonna send u her pics

Lucas sent a screenshot of a blog page. Belle pressed on the image to see it better. It showed a text that she immediately recognized as being one of Daniel's rantings, but even more intense. In some parts he started to talk about women and virtue, about how a woman should save herself for her husband and be discreet and submissive. She knew that he had an opinion about having sex before marriage and that he didn't see any problems in a woman dedicating all her time on taking care of the house, and family. But he never showed that level of radicalism. He practically preached that all the women that didn't follow this pattern should be seen like whores and not have any human rights. At some point he started to post pictures of her, talking about her qualities and referring to her as “my queen”. He implied that she was his bride to be in a lot of ways and affirmed that she was saving herself to him.

RD 17:12- Fick
    RD 17:12- Fuck*
    RD 17:12- SOAB

LP 17:13- IKR
    LP 17:13- what doesshe see in him?
    LP 17:14- I mean, must be the money, if he really treats her like aa queen.

RD 17:16- She doesn't need money, she's a millionaire and is probably the bitch that is sponsoring him.
    LP 17:17- wow man, that's another level of investigation
    LP 17:17 - how did you get in 5 min what I didn't in 6h of stalking?

RD 17:18- Stalking?
    LP 17:18- I think I'm in love man =(
    LP 17:21- jk, I wanted to know who she was
    LP17:23- gonna send you what I got,ok?
    LP 17:25- u should check her Instagram, totally worth it

RD 17:26- You know she's underaged, right?
    LP 17:26- nope, just turned 19
    LP 17:26- about a month ago
    LP 17: 26- fresh and ready for me

RD 17:26- STFU
    RD 18:12- That’s so fucked up

LP 18:13- IKR
    LP 18:13- life is unfair
    LP 18:15- but I'm sure you can get one of those, I'm the one who's stuck in a 6 tops

RD 18:36- She’s the girl, Lucas
    LP 18:36- ¬¬ saw her first...
    RD 18:40- The one I told you I saved from the fire.
    LP 18:40- ...
    LP 18:44- you're kidding, right?

RD 18:45- I wish I was.

Desmond snatched the phone from her hand as soon as he noticed that she was scrolling down to read the rest of the messages. He looked embarrassed as he checked how far she had gone, then sighed. It looked a lot like a sigh of relief.

-He's obsessed with you. There's a lot of other texts about you. -He explained as he put his phone back into his pocket. -That's why they thought about the raping, it's not something taken out of thin air.

-What blog is that? -She felt very exposed and violated. -We need to take it down.

-There's no use trying. It's on the deep web, he can just change it to another address and invite his followers again. -He shrugged. -Are you ok?

-Not really, I'm feeling like an object. Do you always talk about women that way with other men?

-I didn't say anything about your body. Not that I remember at least. -He scrolled down. -I said you were gorgeous, that's not an offense.

-You called me a bitch. -She pointed out.

-I'd do it again if I found out you've been sponsoring him. It's not because you're a woman, if you were a man, I'd have a corresponding swear to use too. -He smirked. -Anyway, do you understand now why we can't use a different plan to lure him?

She nodded and covered her mouth to yawn. He yawned almost immediately.

-We should rest. I'll leave very early in the morning, so don't bother looking for me when you wake up. -He rubbed his eyes. -I'm gonna leave the door open, I'm worried about you, you seemed very distressed when you watched the videos.

She remembered the drawing and her chest hurt again. She gulped the lump on her throat and started to confess.

-About this, Desmond, I…

-It can wait, right? Don't think about it now. -He brushed her hair away from her face and caressed her cheek. His hand was very hot.

-But I did something bad… -She insisted. -I don't wanna hide it from you.

-Ah, that. -He pressed his lips and took his hand away. -Yeah, you need to learn to respect privacy. At least mine, while you're staying here.

She was startled. He knew.

-Next time make sure you don't leave traces of the paper you tore off. -He squinted his eyes, just to make sure she understood that it was pure irony. -I'm not talking about this with you. That's definitely not your place.

-Yes, I know, I would never ask about this. -She bit her lip and he snorted. -I just wanted you to know that I'm really, really sorry. And that I won't ever do anything like that again.

-I'll make sure you never have another opportunity to do that again, don't worry about making any promises you won't be able to keep. -His icy tone pierced through her heart.

-I'm really sorry Desmond, I mean it.

-I know, Belle. -He sighed as he saw her eyes trembling with remorse. He got up with a moan, then sat beside her, pulling her to his chest in a hug with only one arm around her neck. -Don't lose sleep over it. You're a curious person. I actually like that in you. You like to learn and investigate things. But you're not very trustworthy when you know something is forbidden. I thought a lot about it, and I can't hold it against you. You were restrained your whole life. First your parents, then your aunt, then Daniel, now me.

He paused and made a face, then gave her an apologetic smile.

-Even though our motives are completely different, I admit I've been restraining you a lot. I swear, if I could, if I was sure it wouldn't hurt you, I'd let you do whatever you want, whenever you want and I'd let you know everything I know. -He moved back, took her chin, to make her look him in the eyes, and shook his head. -But that would be irresponsible and practically criminal. You are reckless and you don't know limits because the limits those motherfuckers imposed on you were unreasonable. It's a shame that I can't trust you with this kind of thing, but I'm used to not trusting people and many more ways, so I'm ok with that. And I can't complain that you don't trust that I impose limits for your own good, since you've been abused so many times before, but… Well, we won't have enough time for me to gain your trust, so all I can do is keep vigilant and minimize damages.

He untangled himself from her and pulled her back, trying to make her lie down. She wanted to beg for a second chance to have his trust, but knew it was worthless. She needed to show him with more than words and intentions. Belle nodded and laid her head on the pillow, watching him yawn and covering her mouth to yawn too.

-Goodnight, Belle. -He started to get up, but she took his hand. -You need to rest, Belle. You can apologize tomorrow, I'm very tired too.

-Stay here with me. -She demanded, then added. -Please?

-Do you think you'll have another night terror? -He had a slightly worried expression as he looked at her.

-No, I just want to be near you and hold you while I sleep. -She answered honestly and he laughed softly.

-Thank you, but I'll pass, then. -He took his hand away and headed to the door. -Call me if you really need me ok?

She bit her lip and laid silently, trying to guess what his plan was, until she fell asleep. She had a nightmare that a sounder of wild boars were viciously chasing her, but she woke up on her own and went back to sleep, cursing Daniel. The next day Marrie came to bring her breakfast and told her that he was already gone, as he had told her he would.

imeren likes this.
  17. GiBro

GiBro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aw, I feel so important when you say you create an account to write here xD THANK YOU VERY MUCH :love::love::love::love:
    I usually announce on the first post when I'm gonna post the next chapter, it's roughly every odd day. Those days I'm being massacred at my work, so I'm behind schedule, but if everything works as I'm planning, I'll post the rest of this first book all at once on my first day of vacations ;)

I would never hate you for a feedback o.o especially a polite one like that :love: in fact, thank you

I don't think it would make sense that Ryan would talk about that part of his life to her. I wouldn't want to bring this to light if I were in his place, and if I had his personality, it would be even more unlikely. I don't think I'll be able to put any of those parts in the main story. But I didn't write it yet, I'm focusing on the second book now (we want snusnu scenes, right girls and boys?), it would be something for after the 2nd book only. I was just wondering if you wanted me to post as a spoiler.

The narrator follows Belle and her mind most of the time (except in rare occasions when she's unconscious and something that affects her happens, like his phone call with Magda when she had the crash for example, in those moments, I change his name to Ryan*) so it wouldn't make sense to have a flashback of his life in the main story.

*To tell you the truth I do it every time he's vulnerable or showing his true feelings

R_Luna7 and beewink like this.
  18. beewink

Reading List:
    Link

Definitely would love to read about Desmond's first time 0f thinking of Bell. . . But a side story from his POV in general would be amazing
    I would love to see things from his perspective and be able to get in into his head

GiBro likes this.
  19. beewink

Reading List:
    Link
    YES!! BRING ON THE SMUT :aww:

R_Luna7 and GiBro like this.
  20. R_Luna7

R_Luna7 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    of course! Do what comes intuitively to you! I love the way you tell the story and I love going along for the journey.
    I love the little moments when he shows his vulnerability with her. I think they are so sweet.

you mentioned that your work has been trying to kill you. HANG IN THERE!! They are really making you earn your vacation. Lol sending you good vibes to make it through.

OMG the rest of book 1? How exciting!!! I can’t wait. Lol and yes, we want the snu snu

I have really enjoyed learning who the characters are after reading your spoiler and I look forward to finding out how they get to that point.
    And of course, I welcome a spoiler any time.

be safe and stay well.

beewink and GiBro like this.