「POLL」Would you lie for love? Would you lie for sex?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cascadian Rex, Dec 14, 2019.

?

Would you lie to someone if it means they will love you?

1. Yes - only small stuff

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Yes - only small stuff, but will tell the truth eventually

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Yes - big stuff too if I can get way with it

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Yes - big stuff too but will come clean eventually

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Yes - Sky's the limit, I will end worlds to bury the truth

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. No - lying is wrong

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  7. No - lying is hard

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No - If I had to lie then its not worth it

22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  9. ♫~But I’m a bad liar~♫ Bad liar~♫ Now you know~♫ Now you know~♫ I’m a bad liar~♫

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loni4ever

Loni4ever The Fluffy White Wolf

Reading List:
    Link
    I chose the "No, lying is hard" option cause generally, while I probably do use white lies here and there or use other ways like saying the truth but in a sarcastic way (so they won't be sure about it), lying by omission or just not bringing sth up, I think lying's a hassle. It just makes things more complicated, especially in the long run if you have to continue the lie or keep up false appearances. It's just not worth it, really. In the specific scenario you described, I'd probably tell them the truth fully, so I chose that option.

1.) With the real possibility of some nookie on the horizon, along with some real confidence that your date will not find out their mistake any time soon, will you tell the truth?

Yes. It wouldn't be nice to keep up the lie and make them think they're on a date with someone they've had feelings for for a while. I also don't wanna get involved in any complications.

2a.) If you choose to tell the truth; when will you blow the case wide open? Before the cake? Or at your date’s apartment, just on the verge of some nocturnal bedroom “chilling”? or after?
    If the restaurant's layout allows for it, I will wait in front of the restrooms to tell that guy the truth, then ask him if he would like me to pretend I'm the actual person when the cake arrives (that is, if he doesn't wanna call it off). Poor guy... must've come as a huge shock to him. I might say sth like "Wanna just spend the evening here eating cake while you tell me about the person you've liked for so long? We can go our separate ways and pretend this never happened afterwards :blobsmile:"

3.) Would you pretend you have a different birthday to win someone over? Would you pretend to be an orphan? Would you lie about your job? What lie is too big to tell?

In my current state of mind, none of those. I can't imagine desiring someone so much that I'd go to these lengths for them by lying and making life more complicated for myself. Whenever I say stuff like that though, my mom's always like "it can happen so fast, you'll never see it coming", or sth along the lines of that. Like my hormones are just lying in wait to one day punch me in the brain so hard, I won't be able to tell left from right :blobjoy::blobjoy:. So yeah, all direct lies that are about sth important are too big to tell.

Edit: anyway, this is an unlikely scenario in the first place since I'm not interested in dating, so I would've refused their invitation XD

imK, Cascadian Rex and otaku31 like this.
  2. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Definitely not gonna lie about my birthday. If (when) she realises, what is gonna happen you my reputation? Definitely not worth some snu snu or a relationship that will fall apart when she finds out the truth when you might be able to turn it around by telling the truth anyway.

2a) probably pretend the waiter didn't come over, and act surprised/ tell her it's not my birthday when the cake comes. Maybe wait till the waiter leaves first depending on the atmosphere.

Then after that, depending on the flow of conversation, I think I'd probably tell her I think she's got the wrong person in a way that doesn't push her away: "I thought I was gong crazy with all these in-jokes I didn't get" or something like that.

If she doesn't seem to realise she got the wrong person, though, and only thinks she got my birthday wrong, then I might pretend I haven't noticed either. If she ever brings up specific memories from the past with the other person then I would refute them, and if someone (including her) asks me how we met then I would tell them how I actually met her, as if it were natural. I just wouldn't say that I think she got the wrong person until it becomes something that is plainly obvious to the two of us.

Basically, I might lie by omission and by acting ignorant. I think that this way nobody will find out I was "lying" and my reputation would stay intact.

It's probably quite immoral to do this, but I don't consider myself to be a perfectly moral person :blobawkward:

3) all three of those lies are waaay too big. I was trying to come up with a lie that I would tell, but I couldn't think of any because downright lying is never a good thing for a relationship. Lying by omission/ feigning ignorance is another thing, but definitely not when it comes to things like being an orphan or your job.

If it were a one night stand with someone I'd never meet again, though, then I wouldn't consider it too bad to lie about age or job or something like that in order to win someone over (orphan is still way too far). It's just that if it ever turned into anything past a one night stand then I'd tell them the truth immediately..

4 a,b) I don't think anybody or any quality in someone could drive me that far that I would downright lie for an extended period of time, never mind start an international conspiracy.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    imK, Cascadian Rex and Loni4ever like this.
  3. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would do my best not lie in hopes of getting love or sex!

imK and Cascadian Rex like this.
  4. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    1.) With the real possibility of some nookie on the horizon, along with some real confidence that your date will not find out their mistake any time soon, will you tell the truth?
    Yes. I wouldn't lie to them.

2a.) If you choose to tell the truth; when will you blow the case wide open? Before the cake? Or at your date’s apartment, just on the verge of some nocturnal bedroom “chilling”? or after?
    As soon as I come back to the table. I'd tell them they were amazing, this was the best date I've ever had and I'll always be glad I said yes to the date, but... then explain it's a case of mistaken identity, how I found out, let them know they can hit me up later if they want to (no pressure), then pay for the whole thing asap before making my exit.

2b.) If you choose to lie, how long will you keep it up? 2 dates? 3 months? 10years?
    I'll tell the truth. I don't want a relationship based on deceiving someone or them deceiving me.

3.) Would you pretend you have a different birthday to win someone over? Would you pretend to be an orphan? Would you lie about your job? What lie is too big to tell?

No. I don't even know why I'd consider it in the first place.
    No. My parents are loving and supportive.
    No. What's wrong with working for your money?

For me, most lies are a case by case thing. I look at what the lie was about and why they lied in the first place. For instance, you ask "Would you pretend to be an orphan?". If someone lied about being an orphan in order to get closer to someone else they wanted to be friends with/have sex with/start a relationship with etc. I'd be disgusted. If the same person lied about being an orphan because their birth parents were extremely negligent or horrifically abusive I'd totally understand.

Lies I definitely wouldn't forgive: Lies about addiction. Pending/past convictions which earn(ed) you jail time. Hiding significant information about things you've done that seriously threatens the emotional/physical/financial well-being of myself, our kids (if we have any), or our loved ones. Anything to do with emotionally abusing, assaulting or sexually abusing others.

Supplemental
    4a.) Let’s say, in a slightly modified scenario, how far is too far? How attractive or how in love with the date do you have to be to keep up with the lie perpetually,? Is there anyone that attractive to you?

There has and will never be anyone so fantastically beautiful that I will give up a fundamental part of what makes me who I am.

4b.) What quality in your date can you make you start an international conspiracy to bury the truth, murder the original (also murder or extort everyone that knows the truth) and essentially make the lie a reality?
    None. The kind of person I find desirable doesn't require me to lie, cheat, murder or extort others.

Cascadian Rex and Loni4ever like this.
  5. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would lie for the cake. Being serious I would tell the truth immediately. If I'm lucky I can still get some cake!

imK and Cascadian Rex like this.
  6. Wilkins

Wilkins Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I choose no lying cause I actually don't like cake and it's not even my birthday why would I lie for some instant satisfaction

7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please do not necro thread, thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.