Recruitment 【Paid and long-term] Bravonovel Looking for CN-EN, Chinese-Spanish, English-Spanish translators

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by attackontitans1314, Jul 9, 2019.

1. attackontitans1314

attackontitans1314 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi guys. It's Bravonovel! Our team runs a web novel business and over the past years, we've been among the top 10 most popular reading apps on IOS and Android. We are now expanding our business, which means we will be needing a lot of capable translators as we want the quality of our books (and there are thousands of them) to be up to par. All novels on our platform are completely original and so we don't have copyright issues.

Because of the NU policy, the details regarding payment won't be discussed here but suffices to say, the monthly total averages four digital USD (Of course, there is no limit to how much you can earn, provided that you can handle that much.) Many of our translators choose to do this full-time with us because they get to make money off a job they like and they are earning enough to support themselves and their families.

To become our signed translator (This is a paid job and payments are always punctually paid out to our translators on the 15th of each month.), you will need to meet the following criteria:

1, A native English/Spanish speaker. (But if you are as fluent in English/Spanish as a native speaker, we also welcome you!)

2, A web novel fan who has broad experience in reading novels of different genres.

3, Have ample time for this work and can pull off a minimum of 40k words a week. (If you feel like you can't pull off this amount on your own, you can try putting together a team like many of our translators did in the past.)

4, You will also have to pass a standard test.

5 Translation team also preferred. (big or small, so long as you can meet the following requirements)

Updates:

Because of the number of applications we are receiving daily, we won't be able to give a prompt reply to those who fail the test. Thanks for your understanding.

If you are interested, you can always reach us at [email protected]

PS: When you email us, please include the following info

1 If you are a native speaker
    2 Where are you from/do you currently reside
    3 How many words do you think you can translate a week (minimum is 40k)
    4 Have you any previous experience in translating

Right, that pppppretty much wraps it all up. Thank you guys! Looking forward to working with you!:D

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Two questions.

1- What is the name of the site?
    2- Is this a paid position?

DLOB, MonkeDanana and riririn like this.
  3. attackontitans1314

Reading List:
    Link
    1 See the update above. I have posted the link to our official website.
    2 Yes, this is a paid job

Have a great day!

4. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @attackontitans1314 我怎么越看越像水贴呢?
    看你是萌新我来帮帮你把,I can help you。
    不要在英翻网招聘,没多少人会来,去https://www.proz.com/ 圈问,人家是专业的。
    如果proz不够,去英国的纸托邦
    https://paper-republic.org 问。

如果跟我一样家境贫寒的话去 https://translated.com/welcome 问。
    其他的网站都是渣,不建议。就像你要找翻译你会去轻小说吧找吗?

闪数编改:你们要在海外办个服务器,我们老外没办法进。

Saikyi likes this.
  5. attackontitans1314

Reading List:
    Link
    不是水帖哦,we are in serious business and we pay real money on a monthly basis 目前已经招到很多不错的翻译和编辑了. 我们在别的渠道也有招募,but we prefer avid web novel readers and in my experience they are usually more passionate about translating/editing web novels. That said, 依然非常感谢你的建议!:)

6. Sun7sun7

Sun7sun7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What style of novels are you going to translate?

7. attackontitans1314

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually romance, but we will have other types of books coming up soon. If readers prefer reading other genres, then we will promtly readjust our stock.

8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    我跟你说了,你不听我就算了讲了也是白讲。 你在轻小说吧有看过公司招募翻译吗? 在国内翻译比较便宜,如果偏要装Bi值的话去Proz请,价格在$0.15美元每字在翻译上和$0.09美元每字在校对上。如果你是壕,有钱的话请去请汉学家妮基·哈曼

你在这里请都是平均小学水准,翻译小学课文还可以吧。网络小说都是玩梗,玩错别字,请专业的都有点难,你还要请业余的。

更改:如果以后翻译出什么东西出来的话可以发过来,海外玩米姆比国内玩鬼畜视频还猛。我可以当米姆素材。 【手动滑稽】

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  9. attackontitans1314

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I guess we just have to agree to disagree, but then again, we are the ones hiring, so I think it's fair to say that we know our needs better than you do and so far, everything works perfectly well. Thank you very much. Also, many of the translators/editors here actually do a better job than you give them credit for. If that sounds absurd to you, then I don't know what to tell you. Good day.

AlexDreamWalker likes this.
  10. etvolare

etvolare Celestial Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    請問這裡有什麼內幕嗎?很少看到新公司一上來貼文就被砲轟。求 @xiazixin解答。

For non CN translators, I'm just curious because the member referenced above keeps telling OP to recruit elsewhere and ridiculing OP, saying they'll only get translators with elementary school level English here.

^^ to which I gotta say, lolwut. :ROFLMAO:

@attackontitans1314 You might get more interest if you post a range of prices/salaries/etc that you'll be paying. The more 'hardcore' translators AKA the ones that can commit to novels for years at a time will already be working for the big sites in the scene. It'll take a bit for folks to be interested.

Will your site be a paywall? If so, do translators get a cut? Will there be ebooks? If so, again do translators get a cut? Etcetc.

11. Bythesea

Bythesea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol this guy's talking as if web novels are complicated high literature or something. I was reading stuff like 金庸 in elementary school with no problems.

IMO when it comes to translating, it's more important to be fluent in the language you're translating to (English) rather the language you're translating from (Chinese). It's not good enough to just translate the content, the translator has to make the writing sound good, especially for stories. Clumsily executed sentence structure and pacing is intrusive and throws the reader out of the story. So, OP isn't wrong to seek hobbyist native English translators.

I doubt OP has the money to hire professional translators, they go where the money is and the real money is in translating specialized shit like legal documents/manuals.

Fuyuneko, Saikyi and Wujigege like this.
  12. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    同志你打的是友军啊!

they give salary depends on the quality of CV provided so pays usually emailed.

It's usually paid by word count, usually it's cheapest at $0.10 per Chinese character for translating, the company most likely have to pay $0.11 or 0.12 per character to the platform that provide jobs e.g. https://translated.com.
    lowest for machine translation i'm not sure, but usually halve or one third of human translation.

its worst than that, some time you even have to dug up a 7 years old not so popular internet meme, the sentence structure are most likely a mess, there is little to no proof read in web novels. recently I encounter a pun(梗) 兰兰露 which is originated from
    a niconico douga demon video of MacDonald man with the tune of Flandre Scarlet's Owen was her, you might translated as LA LA LU, but the correct English of that is McRoll.
    I have also add in some of the recent/popular Pun inside my previous post in this threat, it's not just web-novels, Chinese are know to be more forgiving than English, even a micro blogger post (weibo) may be quite challenging to translate it. You can get a brand new vocabulary with a new character combination, while in English you have to go to https://www.thesaurus.com key in a similar word and try to look for a meaning as close as possible. Indeed today, cats have functions with thesaurus but I don't think it's suited for the current freshman(萌新) to deal with the stress.
    If you learn Chinese from text books, all you can translate are Chinese text books. A simple logic, you have to really dive deep into the Chinese community to know what "new words" they use and how they are used.

Depends on where you hire it, for anywhere in English community, they use the price recommended(set) by translation association, which is charge with USD. While they said there is no fix price for translation, but the price all almost all the same or within margin. It's cheaper for them to look for translators locally, in china. That's why I have being telling them if they have limited funds, look for their local translation agency. If they have overflowing of funds to look for talents over seas, go for ProZ or if that's too cheap, go for Eric Abrahamsen.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    No blatant Advertising.
    You can link to your own site for more information. Do not put terms or benefits on NUF.

I think op is trying not to break this rule

LaDyViL likes this.
  14. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Try noveltranslation subreddit as well. There is monthly recruitment thread.

15. Bythesea

Bythesea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin
    Mate, don't know why you're choosing this particular hill to die on but web novels are not hard to understand. I've spent my fair share of time lurking on weibo and reading web novels since I was in secondary school, and my Chinese was a dumpster fire back then (actually it still is now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). I literally barely passed my 语文 classes.

Puns and cbz are not that hard to figure out, it's all low culture bs. If you spend enough time lurking on weibo you'll be caught up on memes, and if you're desperate, do a single websearch and the top result will give you an explanation. 又不是文言文。

It's not even possible to translate Chinese 1:1 to English since the languages and vocab are so different, and no half decent translator is going to anyways. So what if a few shitty puns or memes get lost in translation, nothing of value will be lost.

I don't get your 'hahah dumb laowai n00b' attitude towards hobby translators. I'm guessing OP doesn't want to hire locally because second language English translations are more often than not barely perfunctory. A mediocre grasp of English will lead to translations with obtrusive vocabulary and monotonous writing. Web novels in their raw form aren't even great writing, compound that with a mediocre translation and the reading experience would be absolute shit.

If he wants E to C translations then yeah hire locals, not the other way around. OP says he wants "native English speaking web novel fans" and how many pros are going to be willing to translate mind numbing web novels for pennies when they have their pick of other work? I'm impressed the people on this forum are even willing to translate web novels with their leisure time.

ryuxenji, nyamachi, Fuyuneko and 6 others like this.
  16. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    14楼是汉>英的吧
    你知道这些网站是给汉/英化组招野生翻译而不是给一个注册公司招人。
    汉/英化组招野生小白,在某update网和某reddit里都是小白。你认为公司会请小白乱翻译然后在请大佬在后面校对,指点吗?来慢慢教吗?
    这边的大佬自己都有自己的组,应该是不会报名。所以真的不建议,不然早就有很多人(公司)在这里招人了。

我们只是翻译我们喜欢的,想翻译就翻译,累就停一俩个礼拜,偶尔在论坛帮帮忙。如果是强迫性的找营利的汉化组跟找专业的价格上没区别,应为他们请的很多就是专业的。不如把书名和链接发到 "novels looking for pick up" 里等,这样楼上说的"passionate"才会实现。说真的,在这招不靠谱。

17. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, the different between reading and translating is obvious, may I ask you to translate one of his famous novels? I tired with translating his 越女剑 cause it's short and it will look good on my CV and I failed. Maybe you succeed in what I fail, so can you please sent me your translation where I can use as a reference for my future translation. As my current project is also relates to history, it's sets in 北魏 periods.

It's simple to just read it, sure it's just reading each characters. I could even read ancient 言文言if it's so easy. what's important is what you understands from it. you read a 金庸小说 in your elementary schools. maybe you should read it again and see if your impression of the story differs, and re-read it again after you have sturdy the general history of that period set in the background. Only than you will have a better understanding of the book.

Yeah, 金庸's novel is really deep and it took a master to translate, but rest of the web-novel is not like that. I did say that's true, some of the web novels can be translated with even google translate because it really have nothing deep. But most web-novel author are at least high school levels. I don't even know if I can ever do 五三模拟 or take a high school exams ever again. I must admit I'm smarter when I was in high schools.
    If you said 文言文is hard to understand, it's a subject to be tested if they take humanity/language subjects. they could think and write it with the back of their mind.

18. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not quite sure just what is it about the OP that might have ticked you off, but please adhere to the topic of the post. And, please, it doesn't hurt to be a little nicer towards others. Unfair generalizations, like saying that everyone here on NU are n00b translators, will quickly draw unnecessary hostilities towards your personal self.

xiazixin likes this.
  19. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I am really kind, writing in OPs native language in case he is not proficient in English, I have being well know in taking care of newer members of community.

but those guys seem to think that I am being really rude? I mean which part of my earlier post seems to be rude? I'm feeling Déjà vu right now.

Edit: should I translate my earlier post so some people could understand them better?

20. Bythesea

Bythesea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @xiazixin
    TBH I have no interest in translation, I don't have the motivation or the time and I doubt I'd be good at it. But, I have translated documents and passages for friends and coworkers who have needed it before, so I know for a fact that a good translation requires stronger knowledge of the target language than the language being translated.

OP is not asking for 金庸 novel translations, he's looking for translations of vapid mass produced web novels (that care more about word count than nuanced prose) by willing fans of said web novels. There are no layered meanings, only puns and memes. Decent comprehension of the text is good enough. What OP wants is an enjoyable English translation with a few liberties taken, not a long pedantic billion footnotes essay.

You are coming off very presumptuous by insulting hobbyist translators saying they're too n00b to qualify for translating web novels of all things.

EDIT: thisconvo.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019