1440p 60fps videos

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by MrNebulist, May 2, 2018.

1. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I downloaded a video (webm) that has is 1440p and runs at 60fps. The video runs extremely slowly and is non-watchable. The thing is, the same video (same quality) at 30fps runs normally. The video player I use is MX player, and today I even tried VLC player to no avail.
    Are there any ways to play the video at 60fps offline on Android?

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Your phone doesn't support it. It's a hardware problem.

strayCat0 and TrainXIII like this.
  3. Sansome

Sansome A Kind and Honest Villager X

Reading List:
    Link
    Your android isn't strong enough to play 1440p video at most 1080p

4. raitei

raitei ⟪Procyon lotor paronomasiaabsentii⟫

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to say, but get a new device that supports at least 2K playback.

Or, download the 60fps 720p/1080p version of the vid and hope your device is strong enough to play it without issue.

5. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    60fps and 30fps are not "same quality", more or less for the same reason a PNG and GIF of the same source image are not same quality.

The amount of information is different.

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you take some RAW video source, a 1440p60 video in this case, and create two encodes of it in whatever way you want in Handbrake with exactly the same settings, except one encode is 60 fps and the other encode is 30fps, you have the same quality. One will have half the frames, but each frame will be of equivalent quality.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. noisypixy

Reading List:
    Link
    That's an interesting way to measure video quality (only by how good each frame looks individually).

8. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Over-aggressive smoothing, sharpening, or other effects can make a high-bitrate video look worse than a lower-bitrate encode with better settings. Back when I was into archiving anime, the big archival torrent sites always used A/B testing of the same frames of different releases to determine which is best. Bitrate isn't the end-all, be-all when it comes to video quality.

9. noisypixy

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree, but I'd be hard-pressed to say an anime episode encoded at 0.5fps from a 24fps source is of the "same quality", for example. The individual frames might be, but the video as a whole would be trash in comparison.

That's why, from my PoV, FPS affect video quality.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't discount that, but that's a pretty extreme example. I don't know many people who would consider a 0.5fps video a video. That's more like a PowerPoint presentation. Most people wouldn't notice a difference between a 30fps and a 24fps video. Some people either can't perceive or don't care about the difference between 30fps and 60fps. In which case, they would be of equivalent quality. If I'm given the choice between two videos of similar quality, one in 30fps and the other 60fps, I'll take the 60, but in the OP's case, his hardware can't handle decoding 1440p60, so an equivalent 1440p30 video would be of better quality for him since the 60fps video is choppy.

Edit:
    For the OP, are you streaming the video or playing it locally?
    What hardware are you using to play the video?

AliceShiki and noisypixy like this.
  11. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    For MX Player have you tried switching between SW decoder, HW decoder & HW+ decoder If so and the three decoders didn't worked that just means your device is not strong enough to play 1440p 60fps video files.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the player doing hardware decoding or software decoding? If it is doing software decoding, you might want to recompress it to a format you can do hardware decoding with. Hardware decoding is done by NEON chip while software decoding is done by the processor. The difference is like 100X fold.

One thing I would also check is if your device is in power saver mode.

Not really. That is like saying 1000ms latency at 100mbps is same quality as 10ms latency at 100mbps. Not at all. Quality is an overall measurement, resolution is but 1 metric of quality.

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been calling it quality because that's the language the OP used. There are a lot of moving parts that determine overall video quality. Bitrate, resolution, frame rate, number of keyframes, file size, encoding settings, etc. The components of quality only matter until they don't. If your monitor can't display a resolution or at a frame rate above a certain level, anything above that is indistinguishable. The OP can't decode 1440p60, so a 1440p30 video from the same source is of equivalent, if not better, quality for him.

In the same way, if you have a system with a 100 Mbps NIC and connect it to a gigabit network, you're only ever going to get 100 Mbps.

14. evildave

evildave Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'll tell you what I tell every HD fanatic. On a little phone screen, even on most tablet-sized screens, that '360p' is more than adequate.

As long as the video is playing, and you're immersed in what you're watching, you'll just see video, not 'how dense the pixels are'. Certainly if you pause the video and analyze it, it's 'lower quality', but as long as it's playing smoothly with no noticeable 'artifacts', and the audio doesn't outright suck, the video will be perfectly enjoyable. Also, you'll more often be able to just stream it without issues.

Also, if you get into the habit of downloading and hoarding videos, if something around 480p (DVD quality) or 360p (DVD quality, same aspect as 720p/1080p) is VERY acceptable (and it really is VERY watchable, even on a 50 inch TV... even eight feet across, from a cheap DLP projector), you can dump thousands of videos onto one modern storage device. About a gigabyte an hour. Or a thousand hours of video, per terabyte.

Of course, I'm an older person who watched interlaced NTSC video all my life. So digital is a HUGE step up over VHS, for instance. Bigger is often better, but needlessly increasing resolution doesn't necessarily make for improvements in viewing the content.

AliceShiki likes this.