18 Writing Skills That Will Make You A Better Web Novelist

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by hithere, Jul 24, 2020.

1. hithere

hithere Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Show up the male/female lead in the very first 300 characters of the first chapter. For Example: The General’s Genius Daughter

2. You need to create the first conflict of your novel in the first chapter.

3. If you plan to build a system level in your novel, show it to your reader in the first 3 chapter.

4. Create the first climax of your story, and solve the first conflict within the first 30000 characters.

5. Once you solved the first conflict, then expand you story line, you can at least create 3 subplot line…Skills, equipment, adventure and the like. Because your protagonist grow by these factors.

6. The whole story is consisted of 3 main plots, and you should finish the first plot within 300 thousand characters.

7. Every main plot is divided into 3 phases that contain basis, conflict, and solving conflict.

8. Every phase should contain at least 3 different factors, Skills, equipment, adventure whatever. Don’t create the successive same plot. For example: The Immortal Emperor Returns

9. After a climax of story, the protagonist would no less than 3 captured equipment: One could be used right away, one would be helpful in the following plot, and another one could be sold or send as a gift.

10. If you have a male lead, then created at least 3 female role around him, vice versa. Sex is ok but not necessary. For example: Godly Stay-Home Dad

11. 70% basis, 30% fight.

12. Similar plot doesn’t appear more than 3 times in your whole story.

13. Don’t create more than 3 scenes in one chapter, because more scenes would make your readers immersed

14. In one chapter,1/3 conversations,1/3 storyline telling, and 1/3 description.

15. In one chapter, plots such as sleeping, lunch, those are beside the point, make them less than 300 characters.

16. It is strictly prohibited to describe from more than three perspectives at the same time.

17. Don’t neglect the protagonist too long.

18. Don’t make your roles fight in 3 consecutive chapters.

So, Let’s start create our first web novel together: www.tapread.com

shenson, OnlyHaru, SuouNono and 2 others like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than categorizing them as skills, it'd be better to call them formula. :notlikeblob:

ebonykun, Wujigege and Xxsafirex like this.
  3. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno but the novels you put as reference aren't really that good.... though they might have specific elements you refer to, but it still takes away from the credibility of using it as an example. Also one of the best storytelling rules is to have an end in sight. A story shouldn't really go on for 1000+ chapters, especially so if you haven't planned a general plotline and timeline for your story.

4. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    My takes/additions

2) I would put some echo of the larger plot into the prologue, not the first chapter. The first larger part of your works focus should be in the familiarisation of the world and its characters, imo.

3) Or if its magic, you can speak on it through the characters and their interactions with the world. You shouldn't feel constrained to quickly show how eveything works. Let the mystery simmer, if possible.

4-5) The first part of the larger work should have a partial ending, but shoud also lead to more questions. Questions which should have been raised while the story was underway. For example, say someone uncovers a great conspiracy in the middle of the first book, or that someone carries an evil secret, that plot line could wait to be completed until the book after. There should be layers to a story, not one that has only one plot and ends. And then repeats.

9) I don't understand that

10) wtf no

11) No. Do whatever fits your narrative.

12) What do you mean?

15) So cut out unnecessary filler? But that could be used, if successfully, to deepen a character. Say the gang sits under fire in the woods and just starts talking 'bout random shit. That can be used really effectively in showing who these people are and how they all interact.

16) POV's?

17) Depends on the narrative. If there are many POV's, then do whatev fits your narrative.

18) No Goku vs. Frieza -esque fight.

But in end do whatever you feel necessary in pushing out your fiction. If you want a certain scene in it, then do it. If you want 4 POV's, then do it.
    Don't feel constrained by anyones list of "dos and don'ts".
    Do whatever you feel makes sense.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    half of those points is the reason why i'm dropping those novels.....when put in a list like that it's look good, but when you write a story around those points it's become repetitive after 1 ark....

.Lance, Calahan and otaku31 like this.
  6. Ricelord

Ricelord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this an advertisement?

maggitt147, ebonykun, .Lance and 5 others like this.
  7. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol didn't even see that shit at the bottom. It definitely is an advertisement

8. eray.gns

eray.gns Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These "skills" feels more like the "options/rules" put into a "generic novel printing machine" that spews "mediocre to garbage level" wordpuke.

ahs and Xxsafirex like this.
  9. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually thought this was gonna contain actual tips :unsure:

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems to have typos.
    Lack of negative in some instances.
    I hope this wasn't done with machine translation like some of your novels

.Lance likes this.
  11. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than a web novelist, shouldn't you aim to become a professional novelist or as good as one?

.Lance likes this.
  12. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be said to do so. Unfortunately, the "Tips" are either wrong, obnoxious, or situational rules that aren't always suitable. Honestly, given their reaction, I would like to ask that @Kutaifa to come up with a better list of recommendations for becoming a better writer. It's fine if you avoid the "Do/Don't" issue and just give a list of easily addressable items that could help someone's writing. Things like "Defining by Genre can help showcase your work, but can also restrict it. Use it to your benefit, but understand your work enough that you're not being limited by it." and "Try to restrict Paragraphs to being less than 500-750 words, as nobody likes featureless walls of text".

I cannot help more than that, as I am not a writer, nor am I good enough at analysis to give writers recommendations. If you are the same, @Kutaifa, then I apologise for asking for something unreasonable.

.Lance likes this.
  13. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like how egregiously famous books will break the rules in the OP. What comes to mind the strongest is "Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber" wherein the protagonist's parents don't even meet until Chapter 4, some 80K words into the story. Sure it's not a web novel, but it was the web novel of its day, with new passages released on a daily basis, and the readers actually had to pay on that daily basis to read the book.

Anyways, I think that (some of) the advice in the OP isn't too bad for complete amateurs. It only really applies to a fairly narrow range of books though, and following said advice will lead to further narrowing what the book can do. Still, it's not a bad idea to give some structure to writers who don't really know what they're doing. But once a writer has a good grasp on what he's doing, it'd be a good idea to basically dump all of this.

Vanidor likes this.
  14. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure this is translated from CN because they used "characters" instead of "words."

The tips here aren't generalized and could only be used by some hacks. It's like 18 ways to make situationally okay sentences. The problem is that there are millions of ways to create sentences if you know the basic and how to apply them.

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea if it's supposed to be sarcasm or real advice..

ebonykun and Kiki0246 like this.
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's real advice all right, but it's meant for writers who don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. As sad as it seems there are people who would benefit from following this advice.

GDLiZy likes this.
  17. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you can do that with pretty much any writing rule you see posted somewhere. "You need to XYZ", but Charles Dickens in his book ABC did the opposite! There's an old quote something like "There's 3 rules of writing, unfortunately no one knows them", I can't quite remember the exact original version atm.
    Edit: found it anyway
    “There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.”
    ― W. Somerset Maugham

What you are describing isn't unnecessary filler though. Unnecessary filler by definition doesn't deepen character, move the plot, etc.
    Filler(unless there's a breakin planned): Jeff closed and locked the door on his way to work.
    Nonfiller: Jeff gently closed the front door to avoid waking Kathy as he left for work, locked it, and double checked the lock engaged before heading to the car. [shows his care for her, despite it being just closing a door]

As a general reply to the thread though:
    There's nothing wrong with the list as a starter to see what works for you, and it might even be right from algorithms (as in the top 500 Zhongheng books have these features in common), but really doesn't mean a book will be great. Survivor bias has to be taken into account.

And the OP is likely intimately involved at Tapread, but hopefully the intention is good.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020