Discussion 2 Korean slang for novels, that I think that English should adopt.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by eseul, Apr 28, 2020.

1. eseul

eseul [ blank ] |_・)

Reading List:
    Link
    In Korea, these two terms are very common. I kinda copy pasted the meaning from a different website because they described well lul.

1. Sweet Potato (goguma 고구마)
    2. Cider (사이다)

고구마 is ‘sweet potato’. However, these days in Korea sweet potato is increasingly used as an adjective or a noun to express the speaker’s frustrated or impatient feeling about a situation or a person, the feeling similar to what you may feel when you eat sweet potato without any beverage.

The second term, cider. This is actually its own dedicated genre \o\
    사이다 is from ‘cider’ and it means a soda drink such as Sprite in Korea. But it is often used as the opposite meaning to sweet potato above by Koreans. When you have sweet potato and you feel uneasy, if you drink ‘Cider’, you feel great and happy. Cider is used to express that kind of feeling.

Usually, if someone(A) says something straightforward that other people cannot say because of the situation or someone older, higher, or intimidating, people call it or the person(A) cider 사이다.

(Actually) \o\ I'm just procrastinating and I wanted to post something lol
    Can this become a trend /o/
    Probably not but it's still interesting to know lol

2. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    So what do they call cider (apple/pear alcohol) if they call sprite cider?

eseul likes this.
  3. Seola

Seola Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Korea doesn't really have ciders similar to the ones in America, if that's what you're referring to. However, they do have names to specify the type of cider such as 사과주 / 배주, or 사과 발효주 / 배 발효주, which are like fermented alcoholic ciders.

TechToasty likes this.
  4. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Korean lol why is there such cute word usage? English sucks. I think I’ll use this. And confuse people but who cares, it’s cute and creative :aww:

also I was familiar with the words but not the meanings, love if u would tell me more :blobxd:

5. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    It's difficult to understand the feeling behind "sweet potato." I think that would be difficult to transplant to a different culture.
    Cider... like someone said above, means various different beverages in the English-speaking world which may or may not be sparkly. I think the overall word for that is "refreshing?"

6. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooo… a cider rofan could mean a feel-good dramatic romantic novel:blobunsure:

7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    That was interesting to read about. I'm more familiar with Chinese slang tho, since I mostly read that. Things like salted fish or sand sculpture or green tea lol. I also love how they can express a lot by just using one word. But I can't really think of the equivalent to the Korean slang terms you've described. Maybe I can't think of it now, maybe I haven't come across it. Can't count on my dumb memory.

8. heysobin

heysobin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the "sweet potato" feels like when you take a bite and swallow, it lingers in your throat that's why it feels uncomfortable. Imagine eating a boiled potato, it's similar to that. That's why you need cider to drink after eating a sweet potato :blobastonished::blobjoy::blobsweat::hmm: