A college degree?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, May 17, 2019.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What if a majority of your nation’s have college degree? What do you think would happen to the job market?

People would be underemployed?
    Maybe extra requirement?

It was a topic from years old asked by a professor of mine. The question was, how to get out of poverty? The answer many of my peers proposed was, college degree. Even today I still feel so strongly that college degree isn’t it. It may applies years ago. Now today, college degree may be a stepping stone that is too little.

Many werid factors together give people opportunities and choices. But still college degree is an investment that is market as a you-get-it-and-you-get-a-good-job!

What would happen to the low wage jobs or factory jobs?

2. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    The main point is to get out of poverty, no? While this isn't an absolute, degrees certainly never hurt your cause. Besides, when you want a job, you look for multiple things, such as wages, benefits, and job security. Low wage and factory jobs are often lacking in these aspects. Higher education is a way to get the jobs that can match up to what you need.

Lacking a college degree when everyone else has one only puts you at a disadvantage. There's really no way to get around this in most cases. College degrees are certainly a stepping stone. And yes, just having one won't ensure that you get your dream job, but not having one makes it a whole lot more difficult to get that job.

Beltran and mir like this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Much like the typical American , over-saturation. :blobsleepless:

mir likes this.
  4. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ppl with college degrees will be working in jobs where they are over-qualified, this is happening right now, and will happen if college degrees become more common. More jobs (both low or high wage) which are less restricted to the general person, higher wages, better circulation of money within society are a better way of pulling more ppl out of poverty than a college degree.

5. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    A ton of people are unemployed in Indonesia even though they have college degree. Be it a teaching degree, medical, economy, etc.

It's like you need master degree just to find a good job. Now, you at least need to be a bachelor just to find a stable job.

6. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Minority will have actual jobs, majority will become youtubers or something like that (isn't that what is happening now :blobunsure:?)

7. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    The higher people don't want get people out poverty, they want that people having a college degree for him mother say to neighbor "hey, my son has a college degree, it's my pride. " and this mother vote again for them. Btw, college degree will be as high school diploma is today. You know, has so much people and they need select some, they will add more useless shits to decrease the number and you will be happy even without receving more salary cuz anything is better than nothing.

Edit: Also, you going to college, they will doutrinate you and make sure that you will vote in them.

8. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. If the question was simply how an individual gets out of poverty, then a college degree would be a step towards that. However, if the question was rather how to get out of poverty in general, then it becomes complicated. Not everyone can go and get a college degree without starving. Getiing a good job hinges on getting a good/average degree at a good/avrrage college. That's almost guaranteed to not be affordable for those in poverty.

OP also brought up a good point in terms of degree saturation. We're not quite at that pint yet, but if you wanted to, say, pull 100,000 people out of poverty through degrees, there's a good chance that half of those people will end up being underemployed.

A large part of the issue is that pulling yourself out of poverty, you known the classic pulling yourself up from the bootstraps type thing. That is an entreprenuer's domain and again, not something everyone can do. In general, I'd say the case depends

9. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    McDonald's workers in some place asked that question and got replaced by machines.

"To get out of poverty" - if that's your minimum, then forklift license would be enough.

As for where the majority will earn money when factory jobs etc won't matter anymore...
    Sadly/not-sadly probably entertainment and services.

10. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you don't live in the US, federal/state sponsored college is basically free. If you want to attend a private college like MIT and go in debt, that's your problem.

11. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In some parts of the world or in the past one can still have a decent job if you are a high school graduate. Nowadays , unless you take vocational course, a bachelors degree ia a must to have a job.

In some parts of Europe where people with masters and doctorate degree is common a bachelors degree will end up the manual labor.

Europe have a high demand for programmers but high competiton for managers. This means programmers which is bachelors or vocational level is few while managers which is usually Masters and higher.

Automation is a trend nowadays and the Andrew Yang , a US democrat presidential candidates , name it in his platform.

12. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends, what's your skill set? If we're talking business management and IT tech, yeah that college degree will come in handy. On the other hand, there are a lot of jobs that is only taught in secondary schools(aka finishing schools) that are similar to colleges like electricians, welding, carpenters, chef, manufacturing type jobs, vehicle mechanics, and ect.

The main difference is, is that a finished shchool focuses only on the needed knowledge for you to do the job your training for. Colleges can be less focused and allows you to get a broader base of knowledge if you so choose, and in some cases forces you to if there isn't enough related electives in your field of study.

However there are a lot of jobs that make the world go round that need very little education and can be taught on the job. You dont need much education to flip burgers, deliver pizza, drive a tractor, janitorial, postal worker, or any number of mundane jobs. Make no mistake, these jobs are needed, just think about what would happen if there were no dishwashers at your favorite non fastfood restaurant, or if taxi/bus driver just drove on by next time you needed a ride.

Start your own business! Get a lawnmower, weed water, and a few other lawn maintenance items and start your own landscaping business!

tl:dr
    You have many options that dont require a college education to get, you could just jump into the mundane and drive uber, or go to a finishing school and become an electrician. All that matter is what you find interesting. Hell you could even become a career soldier and join one of the militaries.

mir likes this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Personal connections are everything when finding a good job. The whole reason I'm going to school is so I can do some networking and make a good impression on HR people.

14. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If everyone had a college degree, and could get high paying jobs (ignoring the limits of the job market and over saturation is impossible), low wage jobs like fast food or factory jobs would have to increase wages so people would work thus helping to end poverty. I mean, idk, that's how supply and demand works, there would be an equilibrium. But that's ignoring a bunch of other factors.

I feel like if that happened all the grunt work would be outsourced to another country or replaced with machines.

15. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I know my experiences may be limited, but I had no problem supporting a family of 5 as the sole person with an income. And that was as a farmhand. The main proble in a lot of cases is poor money management, or living beyond their means. That being said I do know there is all manner of people out there that work just as hard if not harder for a fraction of the pay. I can only send my sympathies, and suggest finding a better job or moving to a better location if possible. There are always unskilled workers needed in the service industry.

On a side note, I can only really compare my work experiences to first world country conditions. And even then in the more mid to high ranged when comparing cost of living, so ymmv.

16. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Hope that you can get to an OJT/Internship which can give you relevant experience on the job you want and connections i guess?

17. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple, you just look for nations with not as much college degree saturation as yours and make them do the low wage jobs and factory jobs. That's already a reality anyway.

As for those with degrees, they should learn where to look for opportunities. Being stuck in your own nation is almost always a self-imposed limit.

cap.toon likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need more college degrees.
    You need more entrepreneurs.
    You don't need more consumers.
    You need more producers.
    Take the translating scene.
    We need more translators, not more readers.
    You eliminate poverty by creating jobs instead of fighting for available jobs

19. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    The vast majority of entrepreneurs fail though and end up back in the system. Not that I disagree with your point that degrees are less valuable today.
    Ideally you would have less producers for more consumers. Economy of scale, etc. It's the wealth distribution behind it that is the root of the issue. Which I guess leads to:
    You eliminate poverty by balancing the system. Not that it's going to happen, but just saying that 'creating jobs' is going to fix the problem is a bit shallow isn't it?

StuffedDuck, kenar and Lil K.O like this.
  20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It wouldn't matter. A lot of people take useless college curriculum like liberal arts, business, philosophy, archaeology and etc. These diplomas are virtually worthless. If everyone had STEM diplomas, that would be a different story.

Overall, the jobs market is a competition, and whoever has the best credentials wins. When little people have a college diploma, you having one puts you ahead. If everyone has one, you are simply one of the many. So it boils down to what kind of diploma you have, from where, associates/bachelors/masters? These things give you the edge. And most importantly experience.

As for the answer to your professors question depends on if you are looking from an individual perspective or from a society perspective. Individually, the most important thing is building connections, and as mentioned having credentials above your peers. From a society standpoint, the answer is innovation and investment. These things create new industries which in turn creates jobs.

Lil K.O likes this.