Recommendations A decent modern romance novel

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Lachaize, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Lachaize

Lachaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reaaaally SICK of all the one-dimensional villains and face-slapping in modern romance novels...
    I feel like there is only 2 types of modern romance around here :
    -first, we have the fluffy kind but aside the romance, there is no plot. There are no stupid villains nor face-slapping but it's kinda bland without a main plot...
    -The rest consist of novels with a CEO ML almost 99% of the time. He is cold, aloof but gentle with the FL. And then we have different kind of villains consisting of childhood sweethearts, secretaries or other celebrities who are jealous because the ML love someone else. So even if a main plot exist, 90% of the time, the FL is busy face-slapping all her rivals, 5% of the rest consist of the shitty romance with a over-controlling ML and only the final 5% is used on the plot....

So PLEASE, can someone recommend me a novel with :
    - a reasonable and calm FL
    - a ML who isn't a king of the underworld or whatever
    -NO FACE SLAPPING I BEG U
    -an interesting plot
    -honestly I don't mind if the ML have an extraordinary background or campany, I just don't want the situation of the ML and the FL to be too different in term of social standing because the ML will surely abuse of her and she will have to depend on him
    -an independent FL
    -no shitty ML
    - a healthy romance...

I feel like the kind of novels I'm looking for don't even exist :cry:

2. Lachaize

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh and I won't even mind if there is the same betrayal thing at the beginning, I just hope it will be well executed...

3. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot about some perverts.(*cough masochist MC)

lazykitty_99 likes this.
  4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
  6. F.ninny

F.ninny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Cohran

Cohran [Androphobic] [Humble Baker™]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm everything on fanaticals website is pretty good. Honestly though I doubt exactly what you want actually exists since faceslapping is the bread and butter of chinese novels otherwise there are no villains.

8. Deleted member 213850

Deleted member 213850 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Lachaize

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...
    Honestly, some face slapping is okay but generally, either there are tons face-slapping scenes or there is nothing. So I will correct myself, something in the middle is okay i think

10. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
  11. DalangTala

DalangTala Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If You Are A Dodder Flower

When I was sick of face slapping, I've read this novel. It's a story with self-reflection and it has an interesting point of view. It's Modern Day, too. I recommend this.

12. RaiLi

RaiLi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/hear-my-heart-my-world-falls-into-the-river-of-love/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/hello-wife/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/you-look-like-youre-made-of-money/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  13. Nebula

Nebula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rice pot next door
    Rebirth of film emperor's beloved wife (may or may not fit into criteria mentioned above but good one)
    Slowly falling for changkong (a novel from author called chestnut if there is some mistake in title)

14. DIO i.s unbreakable 666

DIO i.s unbreakable 666 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Power Up Yang Artist, it's about a girl who went back in time to an alternate 9th century China where art is a big deal and she uses her past knowledge to her advantage. Even if the summary sounds pretty generic the character development and the writing is great. No needlessly evil family members just people who did what they had to do to get by and give their children a comfortable life. The people as well, everyone has depth to them which makes them feel more grounded. I was so shocked when I found out that main character knew her flaws and faced them to improve, because most Chinese novels had characters that were always so haughty and self righteous. Sorry, it's just that I was in your situation so, when I found this novel I was basically saved.

15. Lachaize

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually finding a good historical novel is soo hard that I didn't even for some to read ask haha
    Thank you for the recommendation, I thought this novel was as generic as the others in webnovel.

16. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    Who Moved My Ashes completes
    Marry First, Love Later, completed
    Received a Wife From the Civil Affairs Bureau, The Transmigration Missions Are Not Scientific, The Warmhearted You, What To Do If The System Forces You To Exercise

18. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sinister Ex-Girlfriend
    ( well mc is very strong . Ml isn't shitty rather a cutie. Even though novel is qt . Main focus is MC coming out of her past emotional trauma.
    She will meet Ml in first arc and our General Su gets blackened because MC leaves and they meet again in arc 3.
    ML first just want to give MC same pain he felt but knowing her past he abondoned <don't worry as i said ml is a cutie> . Mc cleared many arcs without ml which shows she doesn't need a guy . Few arcs are novel , few are pun on cliche novels and had a comedic effect . Ml tries different strategies to woo MC <learnt from various dog blood shows>. In Mc words Ml has hidden villian boss personality. )
    I say again ML is a cutie ~~

https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/female-protagonist-and-second-male-lead-he.97442/

This novel is more like a pun on Cliche mls ,fls and dog blood drama .
    Different fls n 2nd mls in different arcs..
    Scum ml personality shows how idiotic are those novels that have these kind of stories n mls..
    While reading above novel it only reminded me how i always felt reading some chapters of cliche novels that how those fls fell in love with shitty mls rather than cutie 2nd mls ...
    There is nothing good about those shitty mls . I would choose a 2nd ml without hesitation. ~~ .