Request Approved a few suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by hafrist, Oct 27, 2015.

1. hafrist

hafrist the cat guy

Reading List:
    Link
    although i am new and dont know much i have a few suggestions that may help newbies like me
    1 can there be a way to see a person's reading list from their profile page ? like if i like a person's post and want to see which novels he/she is reading
    2 a personal rating where we can rate our own reading list's novels (like 1 to 10 which does not affect rating )
    like if someone has posted his reading list's link and i visited it but there are too many novels on it and i dont know which of them are his favs and which he is reading for time pass
    3 also an average words per chapter which can show how long an average chap is
    because min release in series finder does not take account of length of chap like 150 chap of sealed divine throne are 3000 pages in epub whereas 150 chap of doulou dalu are 9000 pages
    4 when searching for a series option to include data which have not been entered
    eg if i enter min release 100 to search then the result only shows the no of releases a book has it does not show rating or ranking or release per day for them i have to either add the filter myself or go to the novel page

i am sorry as i know that telling suggestions is easy but implying them is difficult and although it may seem these are my suggestions but actually i took most of them for the site myanimelist.net
    http://myanimelist.net/profile/hafrist here is my panel for reference and again i am sry if i made things difficult for you

2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.) Yeah I can probably do this.
    2.) This is already planned.
    3.) Word count per chapter? Do you want users to enter number of words per chapter for each release? That's too much work
    4.) If you mean a way to search for series that has missing information (no tags, no publisher, etc..) then yeah.

I can do all except for #3

3. mockmountain

mockmountain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this words per chapter thing. It doesn't necessarily need to be user submitted.

I wrote a python script to download chapters in batch so I could read on my Kindle. I found that all sites mostly follow the same template/pattern and everything I was interested in could be picked out with:

def get_content_helper(soup):
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "entry"})
    if content is None:
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "post-entry"})
    if content is None:
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "post-content"})
    if content is None:
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "entry-content"})
    if content is None:
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "blog-content"})
    if content is None:
    content = soup.find("div", {"class" : "storytext"})

return content

Then to make sure I didn't save anything weird, I print the average, max, and 4 smallest chapters (usually just trying to avoid redirect posts):

all_contents = []
    for u in urls:
    title, content = get_content(u)
    content = title + "\n" + "=" * len(title) + "\n" + u + "\n" + content
    all_contents.append(content)

ds = [[len(all_contents), urls] for i in range(len(urls))]
    mean = statistics.mean([i[0] for i in ds])
    ds = sorted(ds)
    print("Average character count: %f" % mean)
    print("Max character count: %d - %s" % (ds[-1][0], ds[-1][1]))
    print("Min 4:")
    for i in ds[:4]:
    print("%d - %s" % (i[0], i[1]))

It obviously isn't robust enough for Novel Updates since there are URLs that go to chapter-announcements which contain links to chapters, as well as URLs that are just announcements without even the chapter link, not to mention multi-chapter update posts. However, for what I imagine to be the vast majority of projects hosted with wordpress or the like, it would be accurate enough.

Even if it's not accurate for all series, I think it would be a useful feature to include and wouldn't be too bad to implement. Though I can see how it generating a statistic that couldn't be trusted all the time could bother me...

On a separate note, if someone were to want to help improve novel updates: like actually help with the coding and not just make wild suggestions, is there a github or something like that? Or is this more a closed/personal project?

mystichead likes this.
  4. hafrist

hafrist the cat guy

Reading List:
    Link
    well as the words per chap doesn't actually mean that they have to specify for each update
    just an average for a random chapter like relatively its big or small
    eg world teacher chap can be said as long while issth have short chap
    or else just total no of pages till now can be taken as reference as most people like to make epubs (like me ) show compare them based on the no of total pages till a certain chapter which can be edited by users
    also as the person above said is there a way to help in coding although i have just started CS i think i can still help