Novel A Forgotten Promise

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Polinsesi, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Polinsesi

Polinsesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I'm writing a story called "A Forgotten Promise", you can also read this story and many more at

Synopsis
    “Don’t cry.”

“Promise me that you’ll wait for me.”

“I won’t be long.”

Those were the last words I’ve heard from him before he went off to war.

Then it was the cold winter and the earth covered in snow. The snow melted and the flowers bloomed, there came the spring. The weather became increasingly hot announcing the upcoming scorching summer. The tree leaves painted in miscellaneous colors and the autumn invited itself. Then it was winter again and I stopped counting the days. A few years later I stopped waiting and started a new leaf of my life because I no longer could go on like this...

Until the day he came back again.

I still don’t know how I would make this story end but I already have most of the plot done, because the final step doesn’t count for much, the most important thing is the long way till there.

Merging some bittersweet memories with the struggle of moving forward without looking back, this story speaks of choices someone has to make in life as well as hope and regrets. But all in all, it is the story of a man seeking his own happiness.

I invite you guys to accompany ME through this journey because my heart won’t endure this situation for long witout some moral support.

I’ll be publishing a chapter per week on Tuesdays.

Genre Contemporary Psychological Romance Tragedy

Table of Contents
    • Chapter 1 - I Saw a Ghost

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. Polinsesi

Polinsesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 - I Saw a Ghost

Today was a new day but it was also a day like any other.

My wife woke me up as usual early in the morning with a light brush and a soft tone, so that I’d be able to take the children to school on my way to work.

My wife didn’t work. You’d think it might be best to let her accompany our daughter to school. But it must be said that the establishment was quite far and I didn’t want to trouble her. That’s right, she didn’t have to work outside but she wasn’t idle either.

Our home was situated in the countryside. Here, there was very few people and a vast landscape. Each household provided itself with its own necessities by its member’s labor. Of course they could also go purchase what they lacked of, or simply engage in some exchanges with the other households, never spending that much real money.

Because I was working every day as the office, she would be the one working in the fields to provide us with some food, following the local trend. Even if I go help her when I get spare time, I can’t help but feeling a bit of guilt as well as some admiration for her unmatchable tenacity. It won’t be wrong saying she was the main one supporting our family on her frail shoulders.

I myself didn’t have that strong of a built, as all the famers working here in the fields. Because I spent most of my time working indoor, my skin was still fair. I feel even shameful saying it was clearer than my wife’s. I owed her so much and she was still supporting me. She gifted me with such a treasure of a baby and I didn’t know how I should pay off this debt for the rest of my life.

Life in this small community was rather simple and peaceful. But because it was bit too small of a town, it would be a waste to build a whole school in this desolate place. As most of the people remaining here were mostly elderly and eventually some young lads, sent here by their parents who could not afford to take care of their expenses while moving to the big cities.

Thus, I was charged with the responsibility of taking my daughter and some of the village buns to school as it was not that near. Eventually, it was not that big of a trouble anyway. I also enjoyed spending more time with these children. They are so carefree and cheerful, as I should have been myself once in the past. Interacting with them brings me always such a wave of freshness that helps me put my mind at ease.

There is also this little girl, my own child that is making every day of my life worthy being lived. Even if I didn’t have much time to spare for her, I would always accompany her to sleep at night while recounting here some stories. Then I would be reprimanded by my wife for spoiling her too much as that child would grow accustomed to it, and won’t fall asleep without having me by her side.

Then I would soothe my wife with a gentle smile and take her in my embrace, replying that she was the one who could not sleep without me. She then will pout but never push me away and thus we would simply go to bed, turn off the light and slowly slide in a world of dreams.

This morning, as per usual, I came out of bed in a bit of a daze and I went to wash my face so as to be fully awake. I, then, move to the kitchen and took a place at the dining table. There I found my little daughter who still has some sleepiness on her face, rubbing her big swollen eyes. When she saw me she would softly emit a small “Morning” before I would smile at her slightly while patting her head.

Next my wife would bring us the breakfast she has just prepared and we would sit together around the table, enjoying peacefully this simple but delicious meal.

Before exiting to work, I won’t forget to kiss my wife on the cheek and thank her for today’s food. She would smile and tell me to take care. I would take Little Xie by her hand and head off to work.

Only this time, everything didn’t go as per usual. When I opened the front door, I instantly froze in place.

Little Xie sensed that something wasn’t quite right as she felt my grip on her little hand tighten slightly. She then looked at the man standing before our doorstep with confusion and cautiousness written all over her face.

At that moment, I really thought I had seen a ghost.

The man parted his lips and said: “… Long time no see.”

3. Karakum

Karakum New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Senks autor!