Recommendations A Good and Mature MC

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been revisiting old Doctor Who episodes. I rewatched The Zygon Inversion Speech and
    the forgiving Clara scene. I've been reading a lot of merciless, ruthless, selfish, arrogant, cynical, and anti-hero MCs so I find the character of the Doctor to be really refreshing.

I'm looking for novels/mangas with protagonists who are just really good people. Someone who is forgiving and caring. Someone who embodies the good in people. Someone who brings you faith in people/humanity and makes you want to be better. True heroes. I'm not looking for your generic "nice guy" protagonists like in harem JP MCs. A lot just feel like the characteristic is just there. I like it to be more meaningful and more impactful.

I'm looking for a character where you admire, respect, or desire to protect their good-nature. I usually don't like the naive kind of good-nature, however, there are times when it's written in the right way that makes a character's purity and innocence something that feels needed and welcomed. I'm fine with those types of characters, but I'd really like a more mature good-natured/heroic MCs. Or a knight in sour armor.

Some examples are The Great Storyteller, Cultivation Chat Group, The Second Coming of Avarice, Oregairu, My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Justcallmejust likes this.
  2. KIJIN

KIJIN Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of IET's (I Eat Tomatoes) protagonists are this, though it varies, and there are exceptions. Desolate Era and Seeking the Flying Sword Path are considered Noble MCs (thankfully not Lawful Stupid).

Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. Justcallmejust

Justcallmejust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji has a good natured MC. A little bit childish at the start but he's maturing.

The Second Coming of Avarice has a trash as an MC. But he changed. At least now, I think he is a pretty good guy.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortal , Above The Skies i.e all THE Guan Qi novels

Cosmic_ likes this.
  5. Justcallmejust

Justcallmejust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry didn't see your example. Ended recommending Avarice again. It's hard to find a genuine nice mature guy when all I read are Korean calculating action fantasy, ruthless xianxia, scheming xuanhuan, perverted shounen, vengeful seinen. Most of the genuine good guys are the childish one.

Try Gomen ne oniisama for something like death flag. She's not a mature MC, and you just know the ending won't be a happy one. Still...

The novel's extra has a good heroic supporting character. A hero character that the protagonist really want in his life. While the protagonist is kind of anti-hero, he is quite a nice guy.

Semi Datte Tensei Sureba Ryuu Ni Naru has a grasshopper as an MC. Kind of idiotic. But there're some kind of wisdom to be found at animal protagonist. A good guy.

The Amber Sword actually only have a normal guy as protagonist. Not a genuine nice guy or something by the spoiler that I've read. But his absolute love to the kingdom that he used to play in the game makes him looks like the noblest warrior that can only be found at an uncorrupted hero. His brave dialogue at some scene makes him looks like a hero.

KIJIN and madness- like this.
  6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushishi -> MC was traveling "mystical" doctor there was happy ending episode, sad episode. MC was trying his best to help patient but it not always go as planned. BTW It was anime I don't know if there was manga version.

Ddraig likes this.
  9. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Praise the Orc maybe? I seem to remember him being this sort, though I dropped it for other reasons and he may have changed in latter chapters.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, manga.

Baby Steps if you don't need it to be an action series, manga.

Tomorrow's Kings if your okay with it not having any action at all, manga.

There's no Epic Loot Here, Only Puns, rrl.

Natsume Yujinchou. I've only seen the anime, but I assume the manga is at least as good.

Threadbare, rrl. Maybe.

Justcallmejust and demonicdie like this.
  10. Shebby

Shebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Neet Receives A Dating Sim System.

11. Heartfilia

Heartfilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Novel's Extra its Have a Good MC