A little question about a mobo

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by XenoRaku, Jun 27, 2020.

1. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    Will TUF Gaming B450m-pro work with a ryzen 3100 out of the box? or do i have to update the bios?

2. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to this it sounds like it depends. I would assume that it does not have the required update if you don't have a way to confirm with the retailer. Maybe consider one of these motherboards? They have a way to update without a CPU. Also someone said in the reddit above that if you live by a Micro Center they do it for $15.

edited for clarity :p

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    01 likes this.
  3. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Most likely you need to update the BIOS. A lot of AMD motherboard using old BIOS this day I dont know why.

4. starwarscards

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they made new motherboards for that chip and you can spend more to get one. Also if you are the store would you open the box for the off chance that the person is going to use the new CPUs? They work fine for the CPUs they were originally designed for just need to update the old boards for the new CPUs.

5. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks good sir. now another question
    if i get a mobo with flashback do i need my usb to be completely empty except the bios or i can have other files in there to like for example an OS installer

6. starwarscards

Reading List:
    Link
    This video by MSI shows it as the only thing on the drive. This step-by-step by ASUS shows it has other folders on the drive. I would clear the drive myself but it would probably be fine as long as it is the only one of that type in the root directory.

7. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can buy the motherboard in-person rather than online, most Motherboard boxes will have a sticker or a list of supported CPUS on them to tell you if they support the newest architecture. If you buy from an online retailer, you'll be rolling the dice on if you get one that's compatible or not. If the motherboard doesn't support your CPU, most electronics stores can flash the BIOS for you using an older Ryzen CPU.

Some motherboards will allow you to update the BIOS even without a CPU inserted, but that's usually reserved for higher-end motherboards. I couldn't find any mention of if the specific motherboard you're looking at has that feature, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

AMD also offers BIOS upgrade kits, but it's a pain in the ass to get one and use it.

AMD link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
    AMD's pain in the ass way of doing it yourself: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form