LCD A Monster Who Levels Up

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Raneday, Aug 31, 2017.

1. A_Passing_Wanderer

A_Passing_Wanderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Hmm. Well, NU links are still a no-show, so I'll leave this link to the Creativenovels page for the novel itself.

https://creativenovels.com/novel/the-returner/

I hope you enjoy it!

Edit: Here's the NU link for the novel:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-returner/

Actually, it turns out much easier than I thought. I really should've paid more attention to how NU actually works. I'd have known how to put up the links way sooner....

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Paps likes this.
  2. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks already in my reading list.

A_Passing_Wanderer likes this.
  3. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is anyone able to tell me how the story ends romantically? I had put the series on hold, and given that it was finished recently, I decided to start reading it again, but I totally forgot about the MC's terrible character. Thus, I would like to know how he ends up treating the females by the end of the story. Does he continue to officially be together with that chick yet plays around with all the others like a douche? >_>

4. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    No one among the 'candidates' gets to be together with him and he ends up with some idol that he manages post-amnesia.

Paps likes this.
  5. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like that's probably a bit spoilery, given they clearly haven't finished the novel....I guess there's not really any good way to put it though.

It's a shitty ending, anyway, so I can't really muster much indignation on their behalf.

I'd say it's another Korean novel fallen prey to a rushed ending, but honestly it stagnated pretty much right after the first arc or two and as much of an asspull as that ending was it was hardly the most egregious/infuriating example, if only because I was begging for its death every time it tried to milk relationship drama and harem antics.

6. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can tell you that it won't be satisfieng, but rejoice for there will be so mutch to rage about besides the romantic ending.

7. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright cool. Decided to drop the novel, so all good. No need to worry about it :D

Thanks for the input!:blobsalute:

Paps and Seraphic like this.
  8. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No big loss for you there.

9. XxKrypticXx

XxKrypticXx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    quite the shitty ending, though not nearly as bad as galactic dark net. that author is just infuriating and i honest to god wanted to stomp on his nuts after that ending. just a downright pathetic ending. beware any who haven't read it yet. on the upside, kinda glad he didn't end up with her, she was pissing me off so much with her jealousy BS. thanks for the read wanderer and congrats!

A_Passing_Wanderer likes this.
  10. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    C0: I wonder how he'll manage to not get attacked by Animal Control when he goes out. And how he'll get food when he can't go and buy it. Or is that what he'll use his one hour for?

Also curious how he's supposed to increase his Energy Manipulation. Does he have genetic memories of a cultivation technique or something?

C1: I like that he wasn't just like "Monster? F' Yeah! What F'ing took the universe so long to reward me like this?!" the way so many other MC would be in the same situation.

Ah, so this isn't our world then. That both simplifies and complicates things.

How is he planning to not get killed when he gets to the base? Pretend to be Tae-Jo's tamed beast or something?

C2: Wow, that's fairly massive leap in stats. No wonder he didn't want to fight a Grey Wolf. Though, I notice that his Energy Manipulation only went up by 1.

So, if he started making and selling stuff as a goblin, would he develop a reputation as a goblin and then evolve as a goblin? Also, does he actually need to hunt at all, or just raise his reputation? If so, then does he have to gain that reputation as the current form in order to evolve, or can he just sit around waiting to evolve again as word of him spreads thanks to those guys he rescued and their video of him?

C3: Never realized so many Koreans were into bestiality...

C4: If that's how it works for the goblin side, then he should hunt a shaman too. Best to keep his evolutionary options open after all. Well, assuming that he still can anyway. It's totally possible that that path is already closed to him now.

C5: I like that she's smart enough to realize someone tried to kill her. I realize that's a really low bar, but it's surprisingly hard for some characters to clear.

He should have seen if she was willing to purchase his potions on behalf of her order. He'd probably get a better price from her than most, and selling to her would be easier than trying to do it anonymously in town, especially for the better potions.

C6: What's the difference between healing and regeneration? I mean, I could understand healing without regeneration, but regeneration without healing just makes no sense to me. Or does healing include curing diseases too?

lol, I wonder if the knight he rescued will hear about the potion and make the connection. If so, I wonder what conclusions she'll come to as to how the potion made it to market.

C7: I half expected him to claim to be with that one woman's knight order. I'm rather glad he didn't. It would definitely have blown up in his face eventually.

C8: It looks like evolving as an orc is going to be seriously dangerous...

C9: Wouldn't it be a lot harder to move as a wolf with two non-functional front limbs?

C10: Wow, 48% sales tax is ridiculous, even more so when the reseller takes a further 50% commission. Why would any alchemist stay in that country and do business? It's basically guaranteed that they could get a better deal almost anywhere in the world.

I wonder how many harem members there will be. At least, I assume that the introduction of three peerless beauties that all respect him for one reason or another means that there's a harem forming.

C13: When did he learn magic? Or, if he hasn't, then how did he create the blue lights effect?

C14: I wonder if someone will come to try to hunt him down specifically because they believe he's a spirit beast.

C15: He could probably just trade with the knights directly. I'm sure they'd be happy to take payment in potions.

C16: I wonder if she'll break down and approach her old friend directly. She could definitely get the stone uncontested in exchange for a set of potions, especially once they find out resistance potions are on the table.

C19: Well, combine that 450 with the roughly 300 he already had and he should be able to stay human for almost eleven hours now. That's more than enough time to live a relatively normal human life.

That aside, he really needs to find someone to teach him magic. His magic stats are quite high, and they're completely going to waste.

C20: lol. I wonder if she'll think that that was what he needed the stone for. I can just imagine her reaction when she "realizes" where all her money went ;)

C21: I get the feeling that his mom isn't dead, well not unless you count undead as being dead.

Yep, knew he'd become a world class smith as soon as orc forges were mentioned. I just hope it takes longer for his skill to reach astonishing levels than it did for his goblin medical skills.

lol. I love that it went down. I hope that remains a thing and not just a one time joke ;)

C22: He should have asked what materials went into the ax, and how long it took to forge. I sincerely doubt that that entire 26m was profit. And honestly, he can probably make just as much money, if not more, off of potions. Even if they sell for less, he can sell far more of them since they're consumable.

That aside, I wonder if he'll be disqualified from the competition because his items are too good and they think he's an artisan or higher.

C27: He's targeting vampires who insist on eating people when they don't have to, right? How is that a hate crime? Shouldn't she be hunting down and arresting these vampires herself? At most, its vigilantism, which would still be murder, just not a hate crime.

C29: He should try making a defensive equipment of some kind. They're likely worth a lot more than weapons, especially if they grant the wearer elemental resistances or something equally useful.

C31: That's some seriously fast reaction and casting speed from that dead goblin. I wonder if it was a trap it setup on its body beforehand.

C32: So, can he "un-store" things as well?

It really bothers me that it's called an "open invitational." They're basically mutually exclusive formats. And yes, I do know that it's a real thing in real life too.

C34: "Kim In-Soo spat out that no one in their right minds would agree to that kind of condition" I wonder when the first person will starting beating down his figurative door to agree to that condition, and if that person will be a soo-in ;)

C38: I'm surprised that no one called in before the MC could, just to cause trouble.

C39: Hopefully, he hasn't been hunting in his sleep.

C41: I was expecting him to make equipment out of it. I wonder if it'll open up a fourth form for him.

C42: So, did he tell her everything? If not, then why didn't the author tell us what he told her? It's going to make things super confusing going forward if we have an imperfect understanding of her knowledge.

C43: I wonder what this form will be known for in the future.

C44: lol. He gave her a doll of himself and told her to sleep with it every night. I'm not sure what to think of that.

"It was the very first doll Yu-Rin received as a gift in her life." Really? What were her parents doing when she was a small child?

C45: I wonder why his friend wasn't asking about his share of the turtle? After all, if the guy gives the shell away, then there's no money for him to split with his partner.

Tattoos can't be the same color as your skin, since your skin color isn't a static thing.

I wonder if she gets to pick the form, or if the affect dictates it.

C46: I wonder what she'll tell people when they ask about the tattoo, if it'll be considered doping, and how he'll fend off the people asking for their own tattoos.

C47: I like that Especially Adorable is ranked much higher than Special Aroma, in spite of Special Aroma's fantastic affect ;)

I wonder if this is the product he'll blame on his water monster form.

C48: Considering what that tattoo does, and the fact that it's nearly invisible outside of battle, and quite tasteful and well done to boot, why the heck would they cane her? I mean, a stern lecture not to get non-magical tattoos, sure, but caning?

If she were smarter, she'd have pretended not to know and used her connection to join their hunt and try to form a good impression of herself in the MC's mind.

C49: I was wondering why she never returned to keep her promise. She sure did take her sweet time.

If an actual goblin had received and used that bracelet, it'd be like painting a target on himself even brighter and harder to ignore than his existence as a goblin.

I wonder when he'll get a form that can fly.

C50: I'll be shocked if greedy people don't come to find and capture his seal form, not to mention disappointed in the author.

C51: Feel a bit sorry for the lower tier knights who had their dolly stolen from them by the higher tier ones.

C56: And this is why he should have just ate the egg. Who knows, maybe he would have picked up a griffin form.

C60: "thinking of getting rid of their share of stocks belonging to those Wizards Towers mainly specializing in building Mana Springs." Why? His output is far too low to corner the market, and that's before considering how quickly he's likely to lose interest in making them.

C63: Why is he forcing his marketing department to take care of his pet when they clearly don't get on? Why not just hire someone specifically for that job? I'm sure he'd find someone easily by posting the job at various zoos.

C64: "Just say they are her attendants or something. " Wow, these guys are idiots. What are they planning to do when she punishes these "attendants" for insubordination or whatever?

That aside, I'm betting she's a new harem member. Though, I have to wonder how that will work given how much he hates vampires.

Shouldn't he be able to run 10k in a few minutes in his wolf form? Human athletes can do it in under thirty after all, so even mid-tier knights should be able to do it in under ten.

C65: Why didn't he take the Basilisk's crystal? Even if he didn't want to absorb it right away, he could save it for later, use it as a crafting material or sell it for few million.

C66: Wouldn't a compass be much more useful, and much less conspicuous, than a necklace?

C67: Why didn't she just cover her nose?

I wonder if he'll add any artifacts to the amusement park.

C68: ‘But why the hell is this Skill so rubbish?’ Because it's not? It would be extremely useful if he wants to pose as a spirit beast.

She should just wear a gas mask if she's worried about it, or refuse to meet him altogether.

C69: If he's not willing to get serious about their relationship, then he needs to stop doing stuff like this.

C70: If that's all he had, then he might as well have said nothing.

C72: "You haven’t even graduated from a high school yet" Didn't she enter university several chapters back?

C75: How are orcs not known for their magic?

Also, this really reminds me of Stigma from TNE, except that it feels even lazier.

I wonder if stuff he makes from pure mana is permanent.

C76: "the God of War had descended on earth." I suppose we should start calling him Kari'chwi...

I keep expecting this to stint as Village Chief to qualify him for his evolution to Orc Chieftain.

C77: Are the vampires finally attacking? I've been wondering where they were ever since the event started.

C80: How did he fight for three hours when he used that reversal skill before the fight even began? Doesn't it basically knock him out a few minutes after he uses it?

C83: He should just make a chamber that concentrates mana like this. It's kind of a waste for Hazeline to be doing it manually, and such a chamber could really help others who were trying to train their mana capacity.

C84: “…Our relationship is like that of a friendly older brother and younger sister.” No, it's really not, and you know it's not.

"he even thought up some really naughty things, such as appearing before her as the Orc and fan the flames of yearning in her heart or something." He's an asshole.

C85: Wtf did he turn into the orc and not the wolf? The wolf would be much better at dealing with mages and vampires, and they're both.

And why would Lycanthrope be a good idea in that situation? For all he knows, the transformation process would completely disable him for days the same way as when he became a werewolf. Even if that didn't happen for some *cough*plot armor*cough*hack writer*cough* reason, he'd still need to go through the transformation from orc to lycan the same as before. He wouldn't actually gain anything.

C86: “…I’m really, really thankful for your help yesterday. Without Mister Sae-Jin there, I’d probably have died then.” Without him, you wouldn't have been in danger in the first place. I wonder if he'll ever man up and tell her that though.

C87: So, is he going to be forced into his wolf form now?

C88: Why did they start the auction without telling people the swords abilities and effects?

"The cops did find a symbol of Bathory at the crime scene of his mother’s death, after all." Yes, which is why its very unlikely to actually have been them.

C89: "Sae-Jin thought that if he told her the truth, it’d be the same as dragging her into this conflict he had with the Vampires" Sure. It's definitely not because he likes the way she's treating him while feeling guilty. It couldn't possibly be because he doesn't want her to stop stroking his ego or find out that he put her life in danger. It also couldn't possibly be because he doesn't give a sh*t about her or her feelings and the fact that she's probably living in constant fear of another attack of even greater strength than the last time while frantically searching for whoever it was that attacked "her". He's not a self-centered, arrogant, conceited, self-absorbed little prick at all~.

C90: He's a bit stupid if he doesn't realize that he's the one that she's investigating.

C91: "Didn’t that mean there was a chance of things developing further? All she had to do was to work harder to develop the relationship, right?" No, that means he's an abusive a**hat and you should sever all ties with him.

If he was going to reveal his identity as Orc regardless, then why didn't he just do it before the bad publicity could even be released? There's no reason to let his reputation be dragged through the gutter if he's not planning to keep his identities a secret.

How is he going to prove that he's Orc though? Unless he crafts something right in front of them, there's no reason for them to believe him at this point.

C92: Ah, so they just believed him for no reason whatsoever. That's nice. I mean, it's definitely impossible that a slave owner would claim to be his slave in order to get people to stop looking for and/or rescue his slave. That would never happen. Slave owners are all upright, honest citizens that you can trust with your favorite child's life after all.

He either needs to tell her his secret and move forward with their relationship, or cut all ties with her. What he's doing isn't good in any sense whatsoever.

He also needs to stop screwing with Kim Yu Rin. I lose a little more respect for him every time those two interact.

I really hope something happens to fix his personality. I'm not sure I can keep going with this series otherwise. It may even affect my ability to read TNE since that protagonist has a lot of the same issues as this one.

C93: So, he's not only a psychologically abusive boyfriend, but also a rapist. Yay. I wish I could believe that the author knows that this is a bad thing :/

"Kim Sae-Jin let out a long sigh and stood up, all the while thinking, Is she trying to cause a scandal or something?" It's only a scandal if he denies it. If they're actually dating with the intention to marry (as she mistakenly believes they are), then there's no scandal to speak of.

C94: "Now that his guilty conscience got poked, he couldn’t say anything" Or, he could simply explain his Trait to her. That would work too. You know, if he were serious about their relationship, which he clearly isn't.

[“…That… Later. When you grow to like me even more, I’ll tell you everything. Absolutely everything.” (Sae-Jin)] Dude, saying that just means that you're completely unaware of how much she's sacrificed for you already you ungrateful sack of sh*t.

C98: I hope she doesn't panic if she recognizes him.

C99: Why isn't he getting his curse treated? The society has more than enough money and connections to deal with it even if Hazeline wasn't willing for some reason.

C100: "even with the lengthy beard that could be seen as a definite minus point by all women." There's no such thing as something that would be a definite minus point for all women. Even serial killers and rapists have their fans, much less men with beards.

He didn't loot the corpses... Does Eden have people for that, or is he just stupid? It's not like a man whose been homeless would just leave that much money lying on the ground after all.

I can't help but think that people learning form his fighting style would do more harm than good. After all, it's heavily reliant on him being much, much stronger than his opponents so far.

C102: I wonder why he chose the USA. It doesn't seem to be the money. So, wouldn't it have been better to choose places that were closer to home like Taiwan, Japan, India, or China (assuming that they're actually friendly with them of course)?

Also, just how much of a surplus do they have that they can afford to supply the US? There's a pretty massive difference in population sizes between the two countries after all. I'm not clear on how a single goblin village would be enough to meet demand, or how Korea could generate enough resources to make so many potions.

C103: “Honestly. Didn’t he hear my advice…” Wouldn't matter if he had. He's not the sort to care about the mental wellbeing of others.

C104: “I’m bored of you.” I don't think it would be possible for him to come up with a more assholic reason than this. He could have gone with, "I'm worried about you. Inter-species relationships are doomed for failure" or, as himself, "there's a vampire hit list with your name on it. If you keep up your current routine, the Hero Orcs will likely be wiped out along with you," or you know, basically anything other than what he did go with.

Can someone tell me if this SoB ever stops being an a**hole? I just can't continue the series without knowing for sure.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Paps likes this.
  11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    He stays an asshole.

Paps likes this.
  12. Rogue Will

Rogue Will [A Passing Devil]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, he became even worse. The history becames worse too. Go read Everyone else is a returnee, is also korean but much better.

Paps likes this.
  13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link

Now I'm a bit torn on continuing with TNE :(
    Already have. Other than the epilogue, it was quite good. It also handled the parts that were similar between the two series much better.

Paps likes this.
  14. qwerty1

qwerty1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read both, and I have to say that the novel's extra was far superior to Monster who levels, but that's just my opinion. Novel's Extra hasn't let me down so far, so I'm going to keep sticking with it, besides, the author has probably learned from his failures in Monster who levels.

jacobpaige likes this.
  15. NeurogamiPrime

NeurogamiPrime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the closer you get to the end off this novel, the dumber and more cruel the MC seems to be. and the last three chapters are a hot garbage fire. he feinitely got to be a better writer after this novel since while TNE has its own problems, it doesn't suffer as much from the same problems in a monser who levels up. The only real problem these two stories both have in common is the fact that they set up future plot points up WAY too early then fill the gap between that plot point you really want to watch and when they start it up with more foreshadowing for other events and then random events that seem to have nothing to do with the plot as it stands but always ends up being deus ex machina for later.

16. Unrivaledfury

Unrivaledfury Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah you wrote so much..thats a lot of patience. Well, he makes a LOT of girls fall in love with him but he does not love them back. I dropped before last 6 chapters or so as I knew that ending will leave a black hole in your heart.

Eddy andres likes this.
  17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, glad I stopped when I did then. I don't think I could have taken anymore of that sh*tbag, especially if he kept getting worse.

18. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    How did the romance end anyway? Feel free to spoil. I had dropped this because of the frustrating romance and drama. I really hope the romance in The Novel’s Extra ends well.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  19. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    It didn't end well, as the MC gave up his life and sanity to protect the Earth. He sunk into the ocean after killing whatever threatened humanity and was awarded a well deserved "sleep" from Earth itself.

He lost his memory and came back 20 years later, his appearance reverted to what it was originally, and humans lost their "traits" while still retaining their strength. Through Yu Sae-Jung love for him, she was able to preserve her hope and eventually found him. However, she could never force herself to do something, seemingly satisfied with the thought of knowing it was him.

End

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Hokoga, Paps, Arbalest and 2 others like this.
  20. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobangery:

Hokoga, Paps and SquadCammander354 like this.