Recommendations A novel about a pure summoner.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Novetsu, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Novetsu

Novetsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The type of novel I'm looking for is where the main character purely relies on summons, pets or familiars.

A little backstory on why I want to read a story like this, in most videogames, the role I like to play the most are priest type characters, but as expected a priest story would be really dumb as all the MC would really do is heal or buff people... So I went with he next best thing, a Summoner/Tamer. I mean what would you rather read about, dragon vs monster or boring part vs monster?

So like, recommendations please~!

Tilgarial likes this.
  2. rfrfcb3001

rfrfcb3001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Black Summoner

Novetsu likes this.
  3. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    Apocalypse Summoner is pretty much only about a summoner, though he has a side job as a light mage/warrior.

Monster Paradise, starts with an almost pure summoner but the longer the story goes on the more the MC turns into a pure swordmaster with summons on the side.

Summoner of Miracles is supossedly about summons only, haven’t read it myself.

Charm of soul pets, is basically a pokemon rippoff with some inclusions of cultivation but mostly focuses on the pets.

There is also Seoul’s necromancer and Solo Leveling but both of them has summons as a side thing with more focus on the MC being overly strong in melee while using summons as a support.

To name a few

I would like to mention that it is pretty unusual for the stories to have ”pure summoners” since they almost always develop into having at least a side job as a melee fighter (most usual) or as a powerful mage (who usually also fights in melee)

Novetsu likes this.
  4. Yap Hao Feng

Yap Hao Feng Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Wiger98

Wiger98 Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    ya but he also fights a lot himself, that and its down due to copyright and stuff

Xaos and Novetsu like this.
  6. Chrysanthemum Kiss

Chrysanthemum Kiss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to read this kind of novel if there exist such. There is a novel wherein he is a pure summoner but it's BL, and the story focuses on e-sports and not the game world, if this is amenable to your taste then try God Level Summoner.

I just read the review for Apocalypse Summoner which is reccomended above but the MC later on summons Gaara from Naruto (just makes me cringe) and that is why i warned you. Haha

Novetsu likes this.
  7. Ixcez

Reading List:
    Link
    On a side note I would just like to add that I find your post a bit funny since I am pretty much in the same spot when it comes to games. But I just recently decided to write a story about an MC that is at first at least a healer, the first part will mostly focus on the MC, the world and the party, then the MC progresses and gains more heal/support until the MC gains sort of summoning powers to fight with.

The world system is ”open-ended” for ”classes” so to speak that while a person could be a figther at the base they could become a battle mage or an almost pure wizard in the end if they wish, there will be strength and weaknesses to ”pure” builds and mixed. I’ve written some chapters but I am mainly focusing on the world building and character creation at the moment.

Quite off topic sorry for that :D but found it funny you posted this :)

Novetsu likes this.
  8. Echoes

Echoes 【Wandering Monk】

Reading List:
    Link
    Novetsu likes this.
  9. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wisemans pupil
    while the MC is more than just a summoner, its always clearly stated that summoner is the main part, from the perspective of the MC

my next suggestion is neither a summoner story, nor on NU, but instead a healer story over on RR. its also quite good, if I may say so
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/23055/its-the-healers-life-for-me
    just thought, from what you wrote, that you might be interested in this one~

Novetsu likes this.
  10. Edy3

Edy3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Charm of Soul Pets
    It's totally about the pets and their evolution but with cultivation and Chinese novels vibe. Only the first few chapters look like Pokemon but from the first battle it is totally different thing.

Novetsu likes this.
  11. Ixcez

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically in Apocalypse Summoner there are quite a bit of anime/manga summons for the MC, while his apprentice summons mostly from transformers and such, the gaara summon is fairly early a bit of a spoiler
    He summons a clone of the grown up Gaara, but doesn’t have enough power to keep him there so it gives the MC his sand gourd to use. The MC does however summon a lot of the explosive clay animals made by Deidara and eventually summons a younger version of him. But yes to name some of his summons he does summon Sephiroth (FF VII), Kikyo (Inuyasha), a bunch of characters from one piece etc etc.

Novetsu likes this.
  12. DudeBroEliteKid

DudeBroEliteKid Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also tried writing that, but he used NPC's and he got more and more stressed since you can't ress them. And then he broke down and I couldn't get a good continuation of the story that didn't break the dilemma.
    Still one of my favourites that I've lost somewhere.

Still seems to have used melee every fight that has been translated, or near to it.

Novetsu likes this.
  13. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, but the MC is quite vehement on claiming to mainly be a summoner.... though, i really cant think of a single fight were only summons fought, huh

Novetsu likes this.
  14. Novetsu

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks guys~!

rfrfcb3001 likes this.
  15. michael.kx5

michael.kx5 [Sloth Incarnate][Lewd Overlord][The mediator]

Reading List:
    Link
    VR summoner hajimemashita

Novetsu likes this.
  16. cursebreaker

cursebreaker Outer disciple of Danmei Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Novetsu likes this.
  17. Novetsu

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn. That's pretty gay.

Xaos likes this.
  18. 3xtBlade

3xtBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novetsu likes this.
  19. Novetsu

Reading List:
    Link
    I've just come to the realisation that there was a summoning magic tag this whole time!
    ...Yes, this poor OP is blind xd

20. Xhyn

Xhyn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does Emperor Solo Play as a necromancer summoning bones counts?